Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: luv_bug
Stats: 265/150/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2007
Coconut Flour Tortillas?

Hi everyone,
I just discovered the magic of coconut flour ... I was wondering if any of you have found a decent recipe for coconut flour tortillas or made one up yourself. I would love to hear about your experiences...
luv_bug is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: scarlet_aes
Tips for using coconut flour

I too was looking for recipes for coconut flour tortillas. Unfortunately haven't found any so I am going to experiment. In the meantime, if you've experimented making tortillas let me know.

I got this information from WildernessFamilyNaturals.com

Adding Coconut Flour to Your Favorite Recipe:
Because Coconut flour does not contain any gluten, it will fall apart if you substitute it 100% for another flour in a wheat based recipe. You can, however, substitute up to 25% (15-20% is best) of that flour with coconut flour. In addition, whatever amount of coconut flour you use, you need to increase the liquid in your recipe by that same measure. So, for example, if your recipe calls for 2 cups of wheat flour, you could use 1 ˝ cups of wheat flour, ˝ cup of coconut flour, and ˝ cup of additional liquid such as milk, water, or juice. This will greatly increase the fiber content of that food.

Using 100% Coconut Flour:
As a rule, you need to add approximately 6 eggs for every ˝ cup of coconut flour you use in your recipe and will need to increase liquids because the fiber greatly absorbs liquid. Eggs will take the place of the gluten found in wheat, and help the fiber to stick together.

Other people who want to increase their fiber intake, but do not want to bake or make anything, add coconut flour to smoothies. Coconut flour is more palatable in smoothies than any other fiber, even though it supplies significantly more roughage than any other source.
scarlet_aes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cyberus
WOE: Low carb (Type 2 Diabetic)
Coconut flour, much like most of the four alternatives are out of budget for me but I have considered the issue for the future

If it were me I for a flour tortilla I would use a regular recipe substituting a mix of coconut four and vital wheat gluten ... how much however is the question a starting point IMHO would be 1/4 VWG and work upwards until they come out the way you like.

I do wish I could afford to do the experimenting for this because I miss chowing on a plate fulla tacos or burros and the store bought ones are kinda pricey too.
cyberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Determinedtolose
Laurens makes some with co flour and other ingredients. Here's her recipe link:

Healthy Indulgences: tortillas
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Coconut Flour Faux "Tortillas"

Hi there. I know this thread is about a year old, but just in case anyone is looking for these, I have made them, and I have the recipe (including pictures) here. I do hope I can post a link here, but if I can't, just remove it for me and I will post the recipe here on low carb friends.

It is a coconut flour crepe, but with a few adaptations to make it more thin like a tortilla. It will still be a bit eggy and flimsy, UNLESS you cook it for awhile, or bake it after you cook it on the stove. It will become thinner and crispier. I've used them to make the best creamy spinach enchiladas by Linda's Low Carb.
TheHealthyAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Thank you, thank you! Was hoping for some good stuff to come of this, and it has!
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
MMMMMM Those look REALLY good!!!! THANKS!!!!!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

You're welcome! I hope you guys enjoy them.
TheHealthyAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote