Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Songwriter
Stats: 218/215/199 (male)
WOE: Protein Power
Cooking salmon questions

I bought salmon. I guess it was about 2 weeks ago, from Sam's Club. What an idiot, I bought too much. Questions.

1. How do you tell if fresh salmon has gone bad? It smelled a little rank but it was still red in color except on the edges it wasn't so red. I bought a 2.5 lb. fillet. I just cooked some of it in the skillet. Put 2 TBSP olive oil, salt and peppered the salmon, squeezed some lemon juice on it. It was delicious in drawn butter! But now, the kitchen smells slightly rank. I hope I don't croak. It sure tasted good.

2. Smoked salmon... bought too much... I don't like it that much. Can I freeze it?

3. As for the fresh salmon, can I freeze some of it? Or should I cook it and heat it up later? As for heating it up, how would you do that... I mean, microwave it or in some other way?

4. Last question... I'm a guy, hence the dumb questions... cooking it as I did in the skillet, what do you call that? Frying or what? Pan-seared? Haha, I really don't know, just curious.

Last edited by Songwriter; 02-23-2009 at 05:24 PM..
Songwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
In my experience, fresh salmon has a slightly stronger fishy odor than some milder-flavored fish ... tilapia, for instance. But I wouldn't describe it as "rank." I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I guess my answer to your first question would be that salmon, or any other fish, smells really awful when it goes bad.

#2. Yes, you can freeze smoked salmon. Have you tried it with a bit of cream cheese, perhaps on endive or celery? I love smoked salmon.

#3. You can freeze the fresh salmon, too, although the sooner you eat it, the better it will taste. JMO.

#4. I'm kinda old fashioned, and not up on all the most fashionable cooking terms. I sounds to me like you fried the salmon. To me, pan-searing something would mean just browning it on the outside. I'm very likely wrong about that, though.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Songwriter
Stats: 218/215/199 (male)
WOE: Protein Power
By rank, I meant it smelled rather foul. Yucky. But not so much that I would throw up or something, just yucky. Maybe it's normal, I dunno. It darn sure didn't smell GOOD. But again, it tasted great and so far, I haven't croaked.
Songwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoniBGoode
Stats: 21 lbs gone forever!
WOE: Almost Atkins
Start Date: Aug. 21, 2008
Yes, two weeks is a loooong time to keep salmon without cooking it. Or any raw protein. It's usually safer to cook or freeze any raw protein within 3 days. Just FYI, there are two risks. The food can rot, in which case it will smell and taste bad. Or, it can grow odorless, colorless microbes that could give you food poisoning, like salmonella.

I often cook a couple lbs of salmon, freeze it in individual portions and then thaw/reheat in the microwave for a quick dinner. It's great with sauteed spinach.

I would call the cooking method you used sauteeing or pan frying. Kisal is right, pan searing is usually very high heat that would result in salmon that was brown on the outside, and rare on the inside. "Frying" is used to mean both pan frying and deep fat frying (like McDonald's does with french fries), so it's a little ambigious.

If you're just starting out on this cooking adventure, you might enjoy watching Alton Brown on TV, or reading a basic cookbook.

Last edited by JoniBGoode; 02-25-2009 at 12:00 PM..
JoniBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Yes you can freeze it. Salmon tends to have a stronger smell. Also, try baking it or boil. Thats how I like it. Google & search LCF for some recipes.
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i won't keep any fish that does not smell fresh like the sea

or river. I would toss it. Better to lose a few dollars, than get salmon-ella. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
or river. I would toss it. Better to lose a few dollars, than get salmon-ella. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

When in doubt - toss it out
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote