Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Do the bananas have to be almost black? Has anyone made these with bananas that are not overripe?

Thanks, I can't wait to try these.

Michelle
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
Over-ripe bananas have a much stronger sweeter flavor than ones that aren't. This recipe is soooo great that I wouldn't chance changing it. I'm getting impatient also with my green guys! Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Put them in a paper bag and let them sit out on the counter...they will ripe up much faster that way...These ARE so good...I froze mine due to being sick and got one out at lunch and let it thaw..just as good..

HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
I can't do these bananas muffins till later...according to ******, bananas have 27 grams of carbs (1 medium). I'll save this recipe, thanks!
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24312 View Post
Put them in a paper bag and let them sit out on the counter...they will ripe up much faster that way...These ARE so good...I froze mine due to being sick and got one out at lunch and let it thaw..just as good..

HUGS
Christina
Thanks for the tip! I will do that.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarShell View Post
Do the bananas have to be almost black? Has anyone made these with bananas that are not overripe?
Hi Michelle...
Bought the banana on Friday, & it sat on the counter till tonight (Monday), and it was very soft but not anywhere near ''black''. Came out great and is definitely banana-ish.

My lovely wife loved them (and she's a hard sell with Erythritol or Coconut flour). Pulled out some homemade yogurt (half heavy cream half whole milk) to anoint them with...and we used Splenda from the Quik pack instead of Stevia...

This recipe is a keeper.

Maybe I'll let a banana go black to see if it's any better.
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Michelle...
Bought the banana on Friday, & it sat on the counter till tonight (Monday), and it was very soft but not anywhere near ''black''. Came out great and is definitely banana-ish.

My lovely wife loved them (and she's a hard sell with Erythritol or Coconut flour). Pulled out some homemade yogurt (half heavy cream half whole milk) to anoint them with...and we used Splenda from the Quik pack instead of Stevia...

This recipe is a keeper.

Your homemade yogurt sounds great, Larry. Do you use a special yogurt maker? Bet it is so rich and satisfying. Glad to hear you had success with the muffins! Good to know that a different sweetener combo works in these.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:33 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I loved these muffins.. Do you have a recipe using coconut flour for blueberry muffins?? I have lots of frozen blueberries to use..
Brendajm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Michelle...

This recipe is a keeper.

Larry - Thanks for letting me know. I bought some bananas and they are sitting on the counter just waiting for me to make these.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
You might be able to use chia gel as a substitute for eggs.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I finally got to make these muffins, I made 1/2 of the recipe and got 6 muffins. I had one for breakfast this morning -these are delicious - very bananaery(is that a word?) and taste just like HC banana bread, only better!. I waited and waited for 1 banana to get really ripe - why is it that when you don't want them to ripen quickly, they do and when you do, they don't!!

Thanks for another great recipe Lauren .... Now for the chocolate peanut butter tart - just read that recipe - YUMMO!, can't wait!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mslaster
Lauren,

thanks for the recipe....i made a batch last weekend and my whole family loved them..
mslaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Made these last night..and they were awesome! Whole family really loved them.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jill72
Stats: 162/125/120's
Start Date: 10/31/08
I had two bananas going black on me, so I just made these muffins. Honestly, these look and taste every bit as good as any really well made high carb muffin I've ever eaten!

The pecans are a great addition, giving them just the right amount of crunchiness.

I followed Lauren's recipe to the T, except they looked done to me (and they were) after 30 minutes, so I didn't cover with foil for an additional 5 minutes. I used some oversized silicon muffin cups and got 7 large muffins. Amazing how good these are!! Thanks, Lauren
jill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #45
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
I loved these muffins.. Do you have a recipe using coconut flour for blueberry muffins?? I have lots of frozen blueberries to use..
You might be able to use the same basic recipe. I would maybe cut the cinnamon in half, replace the bananas with blueberries and add a little lemon zest. Maybe even switch out the pecans for sliced almonds or something?

Lauren - these look so dang good! I am askeered I will eat them all if I make them. Maybe I will wait until I am visiting my mom so I can take them to share and leave the rest with her!
pocahontas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetdreams
Lauren.... can these be made into blueberry muffins... lower carb ??
What do you think??
sweetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #47
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Peacesoul
Stats: Coming up on 43yrs old...ekk!
WOE: smart
these look really good.
What is the cals per muffin?
Peacesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So glad to hear that people are enjoying these! Coconut flour is shaping up to be a wonderful LC baking ingredients with some tinkering. Need to restock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams View Post
Lauren.... can these be made into blueberry muffins... lower carb ??
What do you think??
Sweeteater, please use this recipe if you'd like bluberry muffins. Just add a cup of fresh blueberries!

I'm not even sure if you'd have to separate the eggs if you want a heavy "muffin" consistency. Am trying out these cupcakes for a program with the girls in my form hall this Monday, so I will report back without results for you!
Old 03-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
I am anxiously waiting for my bananas to get black! It has been a week already!
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Heifetzbass
Stats: 235
WOE: Low Carb / Type II.
Start Date: 7/20/07
Made these last night. They were fantastic. I would give them two thumbs up, but I would drop my muffins!! LOL!!!
Heifetzbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #51
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

no idea about the cals per muffin?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #52
Purgatory escapee

Gallery: DeltaSierra
Stats: Too much/Still too much/Perfect
These look wonderful. Could they be made with Splenda?
DeltaSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Peacesoul, here is the nutritional analysis for these lovely muffins:

152.7 calories; 6.3 g protein; 11.8 g fat; 5.5 g carbs

I didn't know which Stevia Lauren uses, so did not include the 1/4 tsp in the analysis - I assume it adds next to nothing per serving.

I would think Splenda would work just fine in these muffins, Neecy, although a combination of Splenda and erythritol would be even better. I should perhaps have let Lauren answer that question, but I do know she does not experiment with Splenda, as it gives her headaches.

I'm sorely tempted to make muffins today as I have some black bananas sitting there. Such a temptation to try your recipe, Lauren....I'm supposed to be strictly low-carbing right now.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
I've made these twice using Splenda Quick-Packs and they were wonderful. I actually doubled the recipe and baked it in a 9X12 pan and cut into bars. I froze half and they were as good as fresh (the one I ate frozen one night when I couldn't wait for it to thaw wasn't bad either! )
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post

I didn't know which Stevia Lauren uses, so did not include the 1/4 tsp in the analysis - I assume it adds next to nothing per serving.

I would think Splenda would work just fine in these muffins, Neecy, although a combination of Splenda and erythritol would be even better. I should perhaps have let Lauren answer that question, but I do know she does not experiment with Splenda, as it gives her headaches.

I'm sorely tempted to make muffins today as I have some black bananas sitting there. Such a temptation to try your recipe, Lauren....I'm supposed to be strictly low-carbing right now.
Thanks for that info, Jennifer! You are such a kind lady. Once I can get time to bake I'll try those lovely looking crackers of yours. You also said something about a gluten-free bread type concoction. I am eagerly awaiting your results for that, Jennifer! You are such an inspirational creative chef.

Good to know that it works with Splenda, Grace!

Libbysmom, are your bananas black yet?

These muffins are really good straight from the fridge, too. Haven't made them lately since I tend to overeat muffins like no other treat. Glad LCFers have had success with the recipe!

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."
Old 03-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #56
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post

thanks so much :-)
I'll buy some coconut flour and try these out.

Oh and also, I make great banana bread and don't use any sugar and find the bananas make it sweet enough. has anyone every tried these without a sweetener?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lauren, I made your muffins as stated and found the batter to be liquidy (I assume in hindsight looking at the pics, that this was the way it was meant to be?) - anyway instead of running back to check the recipe on the computer, I overreacted and then added 1/2 cup almond four and another 1/4 cup coconut flour. I also added 1/3 cup Splenda (in addition to the erythritol) and about 1/4 cup raisins (optional) and skipped the walnuts. The combination of coconut and banana is super! I love the flavor. I thought they were better tasting once cool. Anyway, that's a variation for the future on your recipe and the carbs went up to 6.8 g (without raisins, with raisins 9 grams ) and 163 cal without raisins. So, I want you to know, Lauren, today temptation overcame me.....I overdid it and, like you, muffins are a weakness for me too.

Hope you don't mind too much that I played with the original recipe which people have had wonderful success with from reading this thread. I wanted you to know that I did attempt making these muffins today and that the "accidental" variation on your recipe is actually very nice too. I will follow up on the gluten-free bread recipe idea I have one of these days, and maybe it will be something that you would enjoy, although don't get your hopes up too high, as I'm not sure yet how it will turn out. I will let you know when I get around to it - hopefully, not too long from now.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Made these and they came out awesome They were super tender and delish. I had a bag of frozen very ripe bananas in the freezer (I use in kids smoothies' or to make them banana "ice cream" for them....really just a super thick banana smoothie), so I pulled out two from there.

We only baked for 30 mins in a Pampered Chef stoneware muffin pan. They were awesome. We had a little family tea party...unsweetened decaf tea for all of us, accompanied by muffins with butter

This is a total keeper for sure. They were delish by any standard for a muffin, low carb or not
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
I made these and discovered that they're a lot better cold than right out of the oven. In fact, after they're cold they are really very good. Thanks for the recipe - it's nice to have such a variety of goodies to choose from
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just wanted to mention, my muffin batter looked too liquidy, because my coconut flour was different to the one Lauren uses. All coconut flours are not created equal. Some absorb liquid like crazy and mine doesn't for whatever reason. I'm sorry to have said anything at all. Everyone else is having good success with these muffins, and so did I with my tweaks and my funny coconut flour.

Lauren, keep up the wonderful work.