Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Let's Talk FLAX (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/604285-lets-talk-flax.html)

romo20350 02-18-2009 08:39 AM

Let's Talk FLAX (and BROWNIE PUDDING)
 
Alright so I have this new recipe I'm working on. Brownie Pudding. I made a small batch 2 nights ago using flax meal and my natural almond flour. It came out it and tasted great but it was a little grainy.
So this morning I made another small batch and really ground my flax seeds and almond meal down to a very fine powder in my bullet. Baked it off and ate with some of my homemade vanilla ice cream (which is still scoopable after 24 hours!). This was my breakfast :blush: and it was absolutely sinful EXCEPT that I overbaked it a little bit and it had a little gumminess from the flax that I didn't notice in the first batch. SO anyways here's my recipe and maybe someone could help perfect it.

(Adapted from Ina Garten's Brownie Pudding Recipe)

1 stick butter, melted
2 eggs
1 cup of sugar equivalent
-1/2 cup granular erythritol, powdered
-1/8 tsp stevia
-1 tbsp polydextrose (This is optional I just added it because I have so much around)
6 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 c almond flour
2 tbsp flax seeds or 1/4 cup flax meal
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Process almond flour and flax in a food processor or magic bullet until very fine.
3. Beat eggs, erythritol, and polydextrose (if using) on high until thick and light yellow. Add flours, cocoa powder, and vanilla until encorporated. Drizzle in melted butter and mix until smooth.
4. Pour into a pan and place that pan inside another filled with hot tap water.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, checking every 5 minutes after until done. The center will look very undercooked and will be jiggly. Do not overbake!
6. Serve with LC vanilla ice cream!

Oh and here's a picture of my breakfast
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9157/img1245ds7.jpg

The Chicken Lady 02-18-2009 08:48 AM

Sounds wonderful...I'm really craving chocolate.

What size pan did you use?

What is the texture supposed to be like...is it supposed to be firm when it cool or still wet like real pudding?

Is it like a cheesecake that still looks juggle but firms up as it cools?

romo20350 02-18-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady (Post 11587957)
Sounds wonderful...I'm really craving chocolate.

What size pan did you use?

What is the texture supposed to be like...is it supposed to be firm when it cool or still wet like real pudding?

Is it like a cheesecake that still looks juggle but firms up as it cools?

I used a ramekin because I quartered the recipe (had 1/2 egg on hand and because of portion control). I would imagine an 8x8 pan or a round casserole would work.

The texture? Its like a really really gooey brownie and when it cools it becomes harder. I think it is supposed to be served warm and gooey. I microwaved part of my first batch that was in the fridge and it came right back to its delicious texture.

When it comes out it should look just done around the edges and look quite soupy in the middle.

The Chicken Lady 02-18-2009 09:09 AM

This sounds wonderful...this is me running to the kitchen!! :p

Oh...by the way...would you please post the recipe for your ice cream?

romo20350 02-18-2009 09:32 AM

Here's my ice cream recipe.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...scoopable.html

The Chicken Lady 02-18-2009 11:54 AM

I looked up the original recipe and I made a whole one...I just put it in the oven...I don't have any flax so I used almond flour instead.

I'll report back when it's done.

The Chicken Lady 02-18-2009 01:32 PM

This stuff is beyond good!!! I made a little vanilla whipped cream to go with mine…it’s so rich you need a little dairy to cut it just a bit.

I followed the recipe using Scott123s formula for 1 cup of sugar…

One-Cup Sugar Sub

For 1-cup sugar, use:
1/3 C. Splenda equivalent
1/3 C. Erythritol
1-teaspoon squirt of honey
2/3 C. PolyD

And used 1/2 cup of almond flour plus 1/4 cup of oat flour…
Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly.

I ate it now I’m waiting 2 hours and I’ll test my blood sugar and see if it had any impact.

Brownie Pudding

Ingredients
· 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus extra for buttering the dish
· 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
· 2 cups sugar
· 3/4 cup good cocoa powder
· 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
· 1 tablespoon vanilla
· Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Lightly butter a 2-quart (9 by 12 by 2-inch) oval baking dish. Melt the 1/2 pound of butter and set aside to cool.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on medium-high speed for 5 to 10 minutes, until very thick and light yellow. Meanwhile, sift the cocoa powder and flour together and set aside.

When the egg and sugar mixture is ready, reduce the speed to low and add the vanilla, and the cocoa powder and flour mixture. Mix only until combined. With mixer still on low, slowly pour in the cooled butter and mix again just until combined.

Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared dish and place it in a larger baking pan. Add enough of the hottest tap water to the pan to come halfway up the side of the dish and bake for exactly 1 hour. A cake tester inserted 2 inches from the side will come out 3/4 clean. The center will appear very under-baked; this dessert is between a brownie and a pudding.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/w...Pudding001.jpg
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/w...Pudding002.jpg
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/w...Pudding003.jpg

The Chicken Lady 02-18-2009 01:52 PM

Ina Garten's Brownie Pudding Recipe
 
opps double post

romo20350 02-18-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady (Post 11589407)
This stuff is beyond good!!! I made a little vanilla whipped cream to go with mine…it’s so rich you need a little dairy to cut it just a bit.

I followed the recipe using Scott123s formula for 1 cup of sugar…

One-Cup Sugar Sub

For 1-cup sugar, use:
1/3 C. Splenda equivalent
1/3 C. Erythritol
1-teaspoon squirt of honey
2/3 C. PolyD

And used 1/2 cup of almond flour plus 1/4 cup of oat flour…
Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly.

I ate it now I’m waiting 2 hours and I’ll test my blood sugar and see if it had any impact.

Brownie Pudding

Ingredients
· 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus extra for buttering the dish
· 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
· 2 cups sugar
· 3/4 cup good cocoa powder
· 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
· 1 tablespoon vanilla
· Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Lightly butter a 2-quart (9 by 12 by 2-inch) oval baking dish. Melt the 1/2 pound of butter and set aside to cool.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on medium-high speed for 5 to 10 minutes, until very thick and light yellow. Meanwhile, sift the cocoa powder and flour together and set aside.

When the egg and sugar mixture is ready, reduce the speed to low and add the vanilla, and the cocoa powder and flour mixture. Mix only until combined. With mixer still on low, slowly pour in the cooled butter and mix again just until combined.

Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared dish and place it in a larger baking pan. Add enough of the hottest tap water to the pan to come halfway up the side of the dish and bake for exactly 1 hour. A cake tester inserted 2 inches from the side will come out 3/4 clean. The center will appear very under-baked; this dessert is between a brownie and a pudding.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/w...Pudding001.jpg
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/w...Pudding002.jpg
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/w...Pudding003.jpg


That looks awesome! I didn't think of using oat flour. :clap:

The Chicken Lady 02-18-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romo20350 (Post 11589752)
That looks awesome! I didn't think of using oat flour. :clap:

It is very good but man is it rich!!!! A little bit goes a very long way....

I'll put it in the frig and eat a bite here and a bite there...

I may end up freezing some of it.

romo20350 02-18-2009 04:12 PM

Sweet! Did you try the ice cream?
I'm also thinking of starting a blog. Lauren is such an inspiration haha!

The Chicken Lady 02-18-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romo20350 (Post 11590060)
Sweet! Did you try the ice cream?
I'm also thinking of starting a blog. Lauren is such an inspiration haha!

No...not yet...I don't have all the ingredients yet...I'll be going to the grocery store on Friday and I'll pick up what I need.

I think a blog would be a great idea!!!

luvsmokymtns 04-13-2010 01:47 PM

Subscribe !! This looks too yummy..

chewiegand 04-14-2010 10:09 AM

Subscribe

mac24312 04-28-2010 05:31 PM

Subbing and bumping..

Linnylamb 02-24-2012 06:08 PM

Bump

Amgarrett616 02-25-2012 03:38 PM

Ohhhh I might try this on the hubby!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:15 PM.