Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KayeJH
WOE: Atkins
Best pan for cooking eggs

I am needing advice on what kind of pan to buy for cooking eggs. I'm concerned about the health risks of teflon/non stick pans. Have recently been using a cast iron skillet, and it works great for everything but eggs. No matter what I do (preheating, plenty of oil, etc.) the eggs always stick - both fried eggs and scrambled.

Is there a non-stick coating out there that is ideal for eggs but that doesn't leach unhealthy chemicals?
KayeJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
I use SS for most of my cooking. I find you need to keep the flame down lower with SS or foods tend to stick and always start food in a cold skillet if using SS.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KlingonBabe
Stats: Miserable/Sane/FABULOUS
I have thrown in the towel and just bought some REALLY REALLY GOOD Calphalon omelet pans.

But, I have found that the best FAT to cook eggs with on an untreated pan is BUTTER.
KlingonBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Egg pan

I love my Circulon pan. Got it for $10 bucks at Macy's sale about 1 year
ago. I am very pessimistic when it comes to non-stick lasting long
enough. This one gets washed in dishwasher daily, and can still cook an
egg with no sticking.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: michaelbrehm
Stats: 329/303/220
WOE: Atkins/Stella Style
I use my cast iron skillet to cook eggs.

If it's seasoned enough like the 40 y/o skillet that I have, the fried or scrambled or omelets that I cook the eggs in never stick.
michaelbrehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I have an enamel-coated cast iron pan that works PRETTY well but nothing works like nonstick for eggs, IMHO. If you don't overheat the pan, I think it's just fine. I have a little 8" pan that I use for nothing but eggs, either scrambled or fried, and I never overheat it. Just enough to get the eggs cooked. DH doesn't like his eggs with "crispy" edges so this works perfectly.

Like microwaves and nitrates, it's a personal decision though!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:38 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlingonBabe View Post
I have thrown in the towel and just bought some REALLY REALLY GOOD Calphalon omelet pans.

But, I have found that the best FAT to cook eggs with on an untreated pan is BUTTER.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Calphalon One Infused Anodized? I have a few pieces of this line.

Kaye...These are really good pans! They dont have teflon to worry about but are still nonstick. BB&B usually have "Try Me" pans that range from $29-$59. Compared to what they normally cost, it is a great deal! Plus if you don't like it, return it![/COLOR]
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:03 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KlingonBabe
Stats: Miserable/Sane/FABULOUS
Yes, "Calphalon One Infused Anodized." I got a set of two (8" and 10" omelet pans) at Williams-Sonoma for $59.99.
KlingonBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversunfire View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Calphalon One Infused Anodized? I have a few pieces of this line.

Kaye...These are really good pans! They dont have teflon to worry about but are still nonstick. BB&B usually have "Try Me" pans that range from $29-$59. Compared to what they normally cost, it is a great deal! Plus if you don't like it, return it![/COLOR]
This is good to know
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]ok, I posted another reply this morning but it's gone. Did anyone see it?[/COLOR]
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
My visiting brother killed my nice teflon with a metal spatula he dug out from somewhere. I decided I wanted to try cast iron and bought a pre-seasoned one. The next week I got home to find him scrubbing my cast iron pans 'clean' of their seasoning.

After counting to 3 million and 49 I sweetly told him that 'country' folk don't wash off the seasoning. The only reason he is still walking around (breaking various other things) is because he was just using a plastic net scrubber, although that's not great, nor is soap.

But, the good news is that I seasoned that thing back up with coconut oil and then use a lot of coconut oil to cook the eggs and it pretty much is non stick now!!! But you can't scrape around on the pan a lot while you are cooking them. It seems to be a lift and fold technique. But man, the eggs are nice and fluffly!

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." (Mae West)
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." (Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss)
Su11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
If you take your cast iron skillet outside and use some (fine grit) sand paper on it. Take a bit of elbow grease and it takes a bit of time but you might find it doesn't stick. I've done that with every cast iron skillet I own. Be sure and season it in the oven after you sand it though. Also, if you heat the skiller with a small amount of oil, take a potato and cut it half and rub it around the skillet that will help also.

It's a good job for kids to do.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missymagoo12
Stats: 235/225/145
WOE: stellastyle,atkins
Start Date: april 2004
i use my cast iron pans or ware ever non stick pans. sue
missymagoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
I use cast iron for my eggs - scrambled, omelettes, over easy, you name it...

I have one small pan that I really only use for eggs... it's very well seasoned, and I never really wash it. I wipe it out, or sometimes I might even rinse it briefly - I never use soap or scrub it. If I do have to rinse it, I put it over a lit burner, spray on a little oil (olive or peanut) and let it heat for a few minutes to add to the seasoning.

When I go to cook my eggs, I'll often use a little bacon grease, or if I'm out, I'll spray on some olive or peanut oil. I have a couple of the spray cans you fill with your own oil, and then you can pump them to spray the oil out.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
There's a new(er) type of non stick called greenpan, with thermalon coating; it doesn't produce the canary-killing gases, and it's rated good for up to, I think, 750 degrees (which is med-high on a realatively hot burner, and good for any purpose in a home oven--unless you've got it jimmied to work for baking on the cleaning setting)...I really like them, because of the ability to use higher heat for frying (if you have substantial liquid in the pan you can use it on high, by the way)... for being very light weight (compared to most high quality plans), they seem to have extremely good heat distribution (but I'm no fine judge of that). You can get pans that have even better release, and better heat distribution, but they weigh a ton and usually cost a fortune...I think Macy's sells a Martha Stewart version, QVC carries a Todd English line, which is what I got. Don't reccomend their baking pans, however--they are not sufficiently non stick, probably because they are lighter even than the fry and sauce pans (however you can bake just fine with the fry pans).

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 02-03-2009 at 10:42 AM..
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ross11
Teflon

It's nice to see such great information being shared - I represent DuPont, and would like to help clarify some of the myths around Teflon-coated cookware.

Yes, Teflon is safe. Prior to market introduction, DuPont non-stick coatings were subjected to studies at the DuPont Haskell Global Centers for Health & Environmental Sciences. Cooks in more than 40 countries around the world have purchased and used billions of pots and pans with DuPont non-stick coatings over the last 40 years, and
the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has found that DuPont non-stick coatings for cookware are acceptable for conventional kitchen use.

Please feel free to visit http://www.teflon.com for more information or just to check out some cool recipes.
Ross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rottinluv
Stats: 141/110/110 Height 5' nothing!
WOE: Low Carb / Whole, Natural Foods!
Start Date: October 24, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross11 View Post
It's nice to see such great information being shared - I represent DuPont, and would like to help clarify some of the myths around Teflon-coated cookware.

Yes, Teflon is safe. Prior to market introduction, DuPont non-stick coatings were subjected to studies at the DuPont Haskell Global Centers for Health & Environmental Sciences. Cooks in more than 40 countries around the world have purchased and used billions of pots and pans with DuPont non-stick coatings over the last 40 years, and
the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has found that DuPont non-stick coatings for cookware are acceptable for conventional kitchen use.

Please feel free to visit http://www.teflon.com for more information or just to check out some cool recipes.
Yeah, OK. Tell that to the countless bird owners, whose birds have died from the fumes of overheated pans.

On another note, I love my Green Pans from HSN. Nothing sticks to them! They're perfect for cooking your eggs.
rottinluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Ooops! I said QVC, but it was HSN that I got my pans from; thanks Leanne for that reminder.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
I googled green pans at HSN and there are sure a bunch of people out there that don't like these.
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote