Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: StartingOver
Stats: 216/164!!/150
Start Date: 12/10/07 restart for millionth time
SHIRATAKIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!

So, I finally got around to trying these last night. I made some stir fry and I am loving these noodles!! I had 1 bag in my fridge for forever b/c I was kinda scared to try them and then end up being dissapointed. They are absolutely great!!!!!!!! I have the House brand tofu spaghetti kind and they are about like the consistency of ramen noodles to me. There was no fishy taste at all they were absolutely perfect! So to make it even better, I went to my local health food store today to buy some more and they were throwing them at me literally. They don't normally carry them, they will only special order them and whomever ordered them never picked them up and plus the expiration date was close so they gave them to me buy one get 1 free!!!! So I'm doing a happy dance here, and trying to think of what I can make with all of these shirataki nooodles

Any suggestions? Do you think these would be good in a tuna casserole type dish????
MINI GOAL 2: 190
MINI GOAL 3: 180
MINI GOAL 4: 170
MINI GOAL 5: 160
MINI GOAL 6: 150
MINI GOAL 7: 140
BMI GOAL 8: 130
StartingOver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nadi namaki
Stats: 162/142/125
WOE: atkins/ induction
Start Date: Jan 08
Good that you liked them. Unfortunately, i didnt and tried but really couldnt get myself to like the texture.

I think these would be nice with tuna...
nadi namaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: StartingOver
Stats: 216/164!!/150
Start Date: 12/10/07 restart for millionth time
Sorry you didn't like them how'd you prepare them? I've read that can make a difference in how they come out.

Edited to add: Which brand did you try? I tried another brand a while back, I don't remember the name that I got from an asian market and it was absolutely disguting!! They had little specks in them and tasted like I was chewing rubber bands, the house brand taste nothing like that.

Last edited by StartingOver; 01-29-2009 at 03:17 PM..
StartingOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadi namaki View Post
Good that you liked them. Unfortunately, i didnt and tried but really couldnt get myself to like the texture.

I think these would be nice with tuna...
Same here, but I can't have the tofu ones because it's made out of soy. I don't really miss or crave pasta, but if I must have it, I'll have Dreamfields.
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:57 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrianSCohen
Stats: 205/206/210
WOE: Modified Berstein 30-50g/day
Start Date: August 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicsmom View Post
Same here, but I can't have the tofu ones because it's made out of soy. I don't really miss or crave pasta, but if I must have it, I'll have Dreamfields.
There are different kinds. Basic shirataki are made from konjac and contain no soy. There are other kinds made with tofu added, these you should avoid. Simply look for shirataki or yam noodles, look at the ingredients and choose the ones you can eat. Enjoy.
BrianSCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #6

Gallery: Secretly_Sweet
Stats: 247/210/120
WOE: VLC
I love them with bella vita pasta sauce. It tastes like prego to me. I've also made a chicken alfredo type sauce with them before. I don't remember the recipe now but it was really good.
Secretly_Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSCohen View Post
There are different kinds. Basic shirataki are made from konjac and contain no soy. There are other kinds made with tofu added, these you should avoid. Simply look for shirataki or yam noodles, look at the ingredients and choose the ones you can eat. Enjoy.
I bought some once that weren't the tofu kind, and I didn't like the texture of them. I put them in a hot and sour chicken soup I make, and it ruined the soup for me. I think I'm just not a shiritake person.
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
i was looking for these today but couldn't find them... will try whole foods tomorrow
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
I had some tonight in a shrimp/veggie alfredo....YUM!!!!
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:37 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I like both the tofu version and the regular. The one with specks has seaweed added. It looks disgusting, but I think it tastes the same as the regular plain ones. The tofu noodles are softer in texture and look more like spaghetti. I use the noodles in soups and stews. I put some rinsed snipped noodles in my bowl, pile on whatever soup, stew, or casserole I am eating, and nuke the whole thing.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Subscribing
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pharmhand
Stats: 267/253/199
Boy am I a fan

I have not had noodles in years and I read about these on this site... My wife hates the taste but I love them...

I have made chicken noodle soup several times.. I just use Boc choy, chicken, chicken stock cubes and the noodles. It is so easy, I bet I could make it in the microwave at work.

I think the secret is not to cook them, add them last and enjoy.
pharmhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
[COLOR="Red"]Retroworx's SHIRATAKI 101:[/COLOR]

1. Shirataki noodles are "Konjac" noodles -- same name for the same thing. Konjac is the name of the root the noodles are made from. Some shirataki noodles have tofu added (the tofu adds more of a softer, mushy "wheat" aspect to the noodles, IMO. These are probably closest to "real" pasta). The tofu addition ones you'll most likely find are a brand called House Foods Shirataki Noodles. These can be found in health and whole foods stores in the refrigerator section. They carry about 20 calories per serving, I believe. The non-tofu variety (sometimes called "miracle noodles") have about 5 calories per serving and are much chewier and "resistant". These are sometimes located in Asian grocers, but your best bet for these is online: the Konjac Foods or Miracle Noodles brands. The non-tofu variety claims a shelf-life of 1 year with no refrigeration.

2. The noodles are packed in a liquid. While there may be some debate here on the boards as to whether the noodles when first opened SMELL like fish, I don't believe anyone believes that after a rinsing they TASTE like fish, so you are safe there. (There is no fish in the noodles -- just pickling lime which is used to "gel" the noodles.)

3. Now, where you'll find the biggest debate is how best to prep the noodles for cooking: some parboil, some briefly stirfry, etc.

I make a noodles with cheese sauce practically everyday for lunch and here is what I think is easiest: I rinse several bags/servings of the non-tofu noodles at once in a colander, then cut them into smaller pieces as the noodles are insanely long, LOL!. Since I am using the noodles in a "wet" environment (cheese sauce) I am not too concerned that they get absolutely dry at this point so I drain them in the colander for a bit, then transfer to a large ziploc bag. Squeeze out some more moisture from the bag and then store the noodles in the fridge -- they last fine for over a week this way and I just remove servings as needed so I do not have to rinse and cut them each day.

I think nuking or cooking the non-tofu noodles makes them harder and chewier, so when I am ready to add them to my pre-made cheese sauce, I nuke the sauce separately, take a serving of noodles and sit them in a bowl of very hot water to take the fridge chill off, then shake them about in a metal sieve for draining. Then simply add them to the hot cheese sauce and I'm all set.

Word of caution -- not sure if this is true for the tofu version, but the non-tofu shirataki noodles CANNOT be frozen, so don't make massive amounts of something. Freezing the noodles leaches ALL the water from them and they wind up like rubber bands -- impossible to even chew.

Another tip: you can also use a salad spinner for the initial rinse/drain if your noodles are bigger than the holes in your particular spinner.

[COLOR="Red"]Konjac Noodles 101 is now complete[/COLOR]
Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straightscoop
Stats: 135/115/105 5'4"
WOE: Protein Power/Mostly Vegetarian/Volumetrics
love these!

I love shirataki noodles and have tried the non-soy JFC and House Foods brand with the tofu. If you are watching your calories, they are so wonderful in that you get a lot more volume of food. I find they work fabulous added to canned soups and in stir fry dishes, but in Italian-type dishes the noodles are too watery to add out of the bag. When you cook them, water leeches out, so what I do is put them in a big frying pan with some Italian herbs and spices mixed in, then pan fry over low heat until the water cooks off and they are dry. Then I add them to my food.

Once dried, you can layer then in a pan like lasagna with thinly sliced eggplant (or meat if you wish), ricotta cheese and sauce, then bake. I also like them added to boxed GG frozen broccolli with cheese sauce--healthy mac n' cheese. The hungry-girl.com web site has some good recipes for these, including a sweet noodle kugel. Take a look here.
straightscoop is offline   Reply With Quote