Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Char's Killer Crustless Quiche (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/600016-chars-killer-crustless-quiche.html)

Charski 01-23-2009 08:18 PM

Char's Killer Crustless Quiche

I adapted a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com called Chicken Spinach Quiche, but by the time I got done with it - it bears little resemblance to the original! :rofl: No crust, cream & water instead of milk, ditched the spinach and chicken called for in favor of turkey, bacon, green onions...well you'll see! DH rated it A+ and I say 5 stars.

Char's Killer Crustless Quiche

Preheat oven to 350*

1/4 cup smoked sheep's milk cheese, finely grated
3/4 cup shredded 3 cheese blend (Trader Joe's or similar)
1 cup cooked turkey, cut into small dice
3 slices cooked bacon, snipped crosswise into small pieces
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 small serrano pepper, seeded and minced
2 eggs
1/2 cup cream mixed with 1/4 cup water
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
Pinch nutmeg

Butter for 9" pie pan

Grease the bottom and sides of a 9" pie pan with a small pat of butter - you want to coat the pan but not smear thick chunks of butter in it.

Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with the 1/4 cup sheep's milk cheese (you could sub freshly-grated Parm or similar).

Mix together the turkey, green onion, serrano pepper, bacon, and 3/4 cup 3 cheese blend. Spread evenly over cheese in pan.

Mix together the eggs, cream/water, mayo, and seasonings. Pour evenly over ingredients already in the pie pan. Place on a cookie sheet and pop into the preheated oven. Set timer for 25 minutes and check for doneness. I use a convection oven so mine was done at about 29 minutes - the original recipe called for 30 to 40 minutes in a regular oven. A knife inserted into the center should come out just clean.

Remove from oven, tent loosely with foil and let stand 10 minutes before serving.

This was the BEST quiche I've ever made! I can see it with all KINDS of variations in the filling. Just keep the proportions about the same and I think you can make most anything work.

I don't have the nutritional info, sorry! I've not had a chance to run it through MasterCook yet.

It SHOULD make 6 to 8 servings, depending on whether it's a main course or a side dish or breakfast. DH ate half of it and I ate 1/4! So we have 1/4 left to eat for breakfast with some sausage patties and good coffee and cream! :clap:

Aediekins 01-24-2009 12:48 AM

sounds dee-lish! I LOVE quiche!

Charski 01-24-2009 10:02 AM

I hope you'll try it! I don't LOVE quiche, in general, but I LOVED this one! DH too.

Just had the leftovers reheated a bit in the microwave for breakfast. It's even creamier and gooder (!!) today!

TxHomeGirl 01-24-2009 05:48 PM

Wow, that quiche sounds like it is delicious. Will have to try it. Does the smoked sheep's milk cheese have a name so I could find it in the grocery store ?

Charski 01-24-2009 07:15 PM

It's called "Idiazabal" and it's from Spain - I got it at Whole Foods.

TxHomeGirl 01-25-2009 08:18 AM

Well, I have never heard of that cheese before. Until I can get to Whole Foods I guess I will just use the parmesan. I doubt that my local Kroger will have it, but I will take a look. Thanks Charski !

Charski 01-25-2009 10:57 AM

I think it would, Gary - in fact I was pondering doing the same thing but in regular muffin cups. If you try it let me know how it works out! Once refrigerated, it was fairly firm and I think cooked in muffin tins so that there is more "outside" surface - it would work great.

Charski 02-09-2009 12:24 PM

I made this last night with the following substitutions - 1 cup Gruyere for the 1 cup sheep's milk cheese; 1 cup chopped Canadian bacon for the chicken/reg. bacon; and 1 small can well-drained, diced Ortega mild chiles instead of the Serranos. It was really good!

pocahontas 02-12-2009 12:00 PM

I just printed this out. I am going to make it this weekend with some lefovers I have in the fridge, chicken italian sausage, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, sundried tomato and TJ's Quatrro Formaggio cheese. :kicking:

Thanks Char! :)

Charski 02-12-2009 01:43 PM

Well, ma deah - I'd divide up the stuff equally amongst the cups, then pour the eggy/creamy part equally - and I'd bake at 325* for 20 minutes, and test. When they test done (I always use the old "stick a table knife into the center and it should come out reasonably clean" method!) I'd let them stand in the cups another 10 minutes, then take them out and onto a plate or something so they don't sit in there and "sweat." For as we all know there is not much worse than a sweaty quiche! Or is that kiss? No matter, either way you don't want it! :rofl: Then again maybe you DO! :laugh:

Charski 02-17-2009 03:33 PM

I'm glad it worked out well in the smaller size for you, Gary. How long did you have to cook them?

It's a really versatile recipe as far as what you can put in it. Just stick with the basic proportions and use what you like! The last two I've made have been ham, green onion, well-drained Ortega diced mild green chiles, and all Gruyere for the cheese. DH particularly loves that combo!

Jennifer Eloff 02-17-2009 06:04 PM

Sounds incredible, Char - I may have to try this real soon. I was thinking quiche today for some reason. :)

pocahontas 02-17-2009 06:51 PM

I made it for V-Day, had all the neighbors over and they raved! :clap: Thanks, Char! :D

Charski 02-17-2009 08:15 PM

Jen, I'd love to have YOU try one of MY recipes for a change! LOL! ;)

Pocahontas, what did you end up putting in yours?

mac24312 02-18-2009 05:42 AM

This does look great! I think I will make this as soon as my Egg bake is finished with Broccoli like you did Gary!!

Great recipe and so many different way you can fix it!!

Thanks!
HUGS
Christina

skeopple 02-18-2009 06:52 AM

Making this today, for sure. Great recipe and I think the whole family will enjoy it. I'll let y'all know.

missymagoo12 02-18-2009 07:15 AM

this really sounds good. i will have to make this on sunday and take leftovers for work the next day. sue

Charski 02-18-2009 09:31 AM

By the bye for those of you with fussy eaters who THINK they don't like QUICHE - bake it in an 8 x 8" square pan and call it cheesy egg casserole or something! LOL!

Charski 02-18-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpgc (Post 11588183)
Hey Char-

I baked it for about 35-40 minutes. They were just set. It was a little tricky getting out of the pans (don't use silicone). They're really light too, not as dense as I thought.

Thanks again! :)

Oh, thanks Gary! Great. I might try it in regular (silicone) muffin pans and see how that works out too!

Jennifer Eloff 02-18-2009 08:52 PM

LOL Charski, believe me, I can learn from you! :) I look forward to trying this recipe.

Aaaw, I LOVE that pic of the two kiddies hugging. That is sooo precious!! :)

Charski 02-18-2009 09:03 PM

Hi Jen! You're so sweet!

I'm so glad you're finding some time to "hang out" here - it's such a nice bunch of folks, isn't it?

Charski 03-26-2010 09:26 PM

Bumping up for a quiche request! ;)

CarolynF 03-27-2010 06:47 AM

How did I miss this one, Char? I have lots of rotisserie chicken, so I think I'll do the chicken one..:) Thanks a bunch..

BikerAng 03-27-2010 10:42 AM

Yum, adding to the list for dinner! :) This looks super good!

SweetPoison2 03-27-2010 11:15 AM

Killing folks, again, C?