Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Cast Iron grill pan

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Do any of you use a cast iron grill pan?
I am going to buy one on Friday. It has just been TOO cold for me to go out and use the grill!
The one I am getting is already seasoned but in the reviews, people say to do it again when you go to use it. What do YOU use on yours? And whats the best way to clean it. I already know no dishwasher.
Thanks![/COLOR]
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
I have one made by Lodge. I recommend that you fry some bacon in it, or go ahead and season it yourself, though. I had to do that with mine. It said it was preseasoned, but when I tried to grill a steak in it, it stuck something awful and I had to scour it clean with a steel pad. It's been fine since I seasoned it. Maybe mine was just a fluke.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: mom2twoboys
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/26/05
I have a LeCrueset it came with instructions. I think the pan needed to be heated over med heat not high heat and the meat needed to be dry before you put it on the pan, also not to move it until it was cooked.
I think for cleaning not to scrape, for some reason I think you were not supposed to use soap but now I am not positive. I think you can google the care instructions.
mom2twoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I have one and I love it. It was supposed to be preseasoned but I never trust that! I brushed it with coconut oil and put it in a 350* oven for about an hour, then shut the oven off and let it cool in there; then wiped out any remaining oil with a paper towel.

As for cleaning it, I use a stiff bristle (nylon) brush and plain water, if something is stuck I sprinkle it with salt and use that as a scrubbing agent. If it gets REALLY REALLY stuck and nasty - I turn it upside down in the oven and run it through the self-clean cycle. Then you have to start over with the seasoning though so that's a "last resort" for me. I love that grill pan though, just be sure to put it on over pretty high heat and let it preheat a good 5 minutes, and make sure you have your fan on HIGH!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coconutmilk
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2007
I have 2 one double burner and one that resembles a skillet, plus I have my grandmothers chicken fryer, 2 of my mom's skillet and I have a huge Dutch oven and a skillet of that I bought. The Dutch oven was my only manufactured pre-seasoned piece. And I didn't have any trouble with it at all, but by far my best seasoned pan is my grandmothers. I can fry cheese in that thing and it comes right off....Nothing beats generations of love.

I clean mine with salt like Charski suggest except I'd never run mine through the self cleaning oven. I don't know if it would hurt it or not but I don't want to take a chance. And I don't use a stuff brush, it can scrub the seasoning off the pan.

Also, my mom and grandmother both taught me to give my pans a little wipe down with veg oil every time I use them. It helps keep them non-stick and I'm sure in my grandmothers case it also helped keep it from rusting.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!
Vikki

Last edited by coconutmilk; 01-21-2009 at 10:18 PM..
coconutmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I have one and I love it. It was supposed to be preseasoned but I never trust that! I brushed it with coconut oil and put it in a 350* oven for about an hour, then shut the oven off and let it cool in there; then wiped out any remaining oil with a paper towel.

As for cleaning it, I use a stiff bristle (nylon) brush and plain water, if something is stuck I sprinkle it with salt and use that as a scrubbing agent. If it gets REALLY REALLY stuck and nasty - I turn it upside down in the oven and run it through the self-clean cycle. Then you have to start over with the seasoning though so that's a "last resort" for me. I love that grill pan though, just be sure to put it on over pretty high heat and let it preheat a good 5 minutes, and make sure you have your fan on HIGH!
Ditto! I just grilled some big fat ribeye's on it last night.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Thanks everyone!

Kisal...is yours 10" square? If so thats the one I'm grabbing! The Corrningware/Corelle store down from my store has it for 20 cents more than WM but Id rather give my business to them since the mall has been slow![/COLOR]
Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversunfire View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Thanks everyone!

Kisal...is yours 10" square? If so thats the one I'm grabbing! The Corrningware/Corelle store down from my store has it for 20 cents more than WM but Id rather give my business to them since the mall has been slow![/COLOR]
Yes! That's the one I have!
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
I have a 2 burner one from Lodge. Grill on one side, griddle (flat) on the other. I seasoned it on my own.

With the two burner it took me a bit to figure out how to use it the best way possible, but it was not that bad of a learning curve. The middle portion between burners works best as an area to keep things warm vs. actually cooking on it.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]To cook on it......heat on medium and have the meat close to room temp?

I used high heat and cold steaks last Fri night and had a kitchen full of smoke! Had to open the window and turn the ceiling fan on so the smoke detector wouldn't go off! I was also dumb in using Pam spray.[/COLOR]
Old 01-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
Gadget Gal

Yeah, don't use Pam spray on cast iron - it will make a gummy, smoky mess!

Once your pan is seasoned you shouldn't have to grease it first.

I always use med high to high heat and let it preheat - you gotta turn on the fan on high though! I cook MY steak from cold and DH's from room temp, as he doesn't like his as rare as I do and that way they cook in about the same amount of time.

Once you throw the steaks on the preheated pan, crank the heat back to medium and the pan will maintain its heat for a very long time.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Thanks Charski!!!!

I kept it on high the entire time. I should KNOW that it retains heat! [/COLOR]
Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
Gadget Gal

Hey, we all learn as we go!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lickrish
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 12th 07
I have one of the 2 sided ones too purchased from Bass Pro and I don't use it anymore since I believe the weight of it screwed up my burners. They went out and had to be replaced. Its extremely heavy. It was a waste of money, imo. I think it was 50.00
Lickrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I re-seasoned it before using it yesterday. Put CO on it and put in the hot oven and let it cool back down in there. Then I seared the burgers on the stove top then popped them in the oven to finish cooking. I had pepper jack cheese in the middle which managed to leak out. The pan cleaned up pretty good! I was impressed! I DID season it again though. After I cleaned it, it put it in the hot oven to dry it then put more CO on and stuck back in the oven again. [/COLOR]
Old 01-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #16
Gadget Gal

Shari, that's a good idea to do - I use a pastry brush, throw a spoonful of CO into the still-warm pan, and brush it all around, let it sit til cool, then wipe out any excess. Then I lay a paper towel in it and put it away. I'm glad you're enjoying your pan!