Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheFanatic
Anyone ever smoke a fatty? Not that kind of fatty...

For some of you that means something very different than what I will discuss in this entry. This is not a something related to sparking up a blunt. This is simply sausage smoked on a grill. There are a million ways to make fatties. Fatties can be sweet, stuffed, spicy and all things in between.

To make a fatty, one must purchase some sort of loose or bulk sausage. I've made them with one pound breakfast sausage as well as bulk sausage from the meat counter at the grocery store.

The first fatty I ever made was the same day I did the spiral sliced and stuffed pork loin. For that fatty I took a one pound tube of maple breakfast sausage and put it in a mixing bowl. I minced up some of the following: garlic, vidalia onion and about half a honey crisp apple and added that to the mixing bowl. A little cracked black pepper and some brown sugar completed the ingredients. I mixed all of that together and then reshaped the sausage into the form it was in when it was in the plastic tube. Then I applied a sweet rub of paprika, brown sugar, granulated garlic, chili powder and black pepper. The fatty is on the left:

No salt at all on this. There is plenty of salt in the pork.

There is nothing to cooking these things. Throw them on the grill for about 3 hours between 225-250. When it firms up it is done. You don't really have to flip them over or turn them. You can put bacon on them to baste the meat, but it is not required. Having a second level rack in my offset smoker is a great place for fatties to cook. I like to put them over something else I am cooking so the fat drips over the other meat or dish. I've put these over baked beans and in this case I put it over the pork loin:

When I close the grill lid that rack moves forward a few inches and the fatty is right over the loin.

After a couple of hours the fatty and the loin are coming along nicely:

Here are the loin and the fatty resting:

And here we have the loin and fatty plated:

I have also done stuffed fatties. Fatties can be stuffed with anything, cheese, potatoes (someone just mentioned to me Tater Tots which sounds divine), peppers, proscuitto, fruit, veggies, pretty much anything that floats your boat.

For these two fatties I did one identical as above but I forgot the rub. But the other I decided to stuff and use bulk sausage rather than breakfast sausage. I bought a pound of bulk sausage and put it in a mixing bowl. I added minced garlic and onion as well as some black pepper and grated asiago cheese. Then I spread it out on a piece of wax paper and added a couple slices of prosciutto:

Then I added some chunks of blue cheese:

Then I rolled it back up and put it on the platter with the sweet fatty. The stuffed fatty is on the right:

I didn't think there was much difference between bulk sausage and breakfast sausage but the difference it pretty startling. Here are the two fatties resting (along with some bacon baked beans):

The stuffed fatty is on the right again. Uncooked the breakfast fatty was much larger. When cooked it is much smaller and also much darker. The stuffed fatty looks like it is still raw compared to the other but it cooked through. Here are a couple shots of the stuffed fatty sliced:

When stuffing fatties with cheese you really have to pat the hell out of them as if you are pounding out hamburgers. You can't have the meat be loose and have cracks form as the meat firms up as the fat renders out. So, I'm telling you that spanking your sausage is required when stuffing fatties with cheese. I mean really give it a good beating. If not you may have some premature cheese leakage.

Here are two stuffed fatties I made for a buddy's bachelor party (along with ribs and beans). One I spanked harder than the other. Can you see which is which in the upper right?

Here is a close up of those fatties:

When the fatty on the left started oozing I threw a piece of foil under both of them to save the cheese.

Some recommend putting the fatty in the fridge for a while before cooking so that it is easier to manipulate on the grill. I really have not had a problem putting a warm fatty on the grill. As long as it is not touched for the first hour it will firm up enough to be moved without risk of it falling apart.

While I am not a proponent of drug use I am a big fan of smoking fatties so by all means everyone, go smoke a fatty!?!?!
TheFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Determinedtolose
That looks great!! Check this out too!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l-recipes.html
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedtolose View Post
That looks great!! Check this out too!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l-recipes.html
You are probably the 4th person that has referred me to that link. I plan on doing the bacon weave thing and putting it around a pork loin. Not sure about doing the bacon wrapped in sausage wrapped in bacon thing....I think I just heard my heart whimper when I typed that!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFanatic View Post
You are probably the 4th person that has referred me to that link. I plan on doing the bacon weave thing and putting it around a pork loin. Not sure about doing the bacon wrapped in sausage wrapped in bacon thing....I think I just heard my heart whimper when I typed that!!!
Oh no, lol!! Your's look really good as well! Maybe a little easier too.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
YUM YUM! Next time DH fires up the Brinkman I'm gonna roll him a big fat one to smoke! LOL!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Margot 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
YUM YUM! Next time DH fires up the Brinkman I'm gonna roll him a big fat one to smoke! LOL!
LMAO!

Don't bogart that fatty! It must be shared. Call me with the time and date!
Margot 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Might be a while, Margot - it's rainy here for the foreseeable future, after the past week in the 70's and one day at 80*!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Might be a while, Margot - it's rainy here for the foreseeable future, after the past week in the 70's and one day at 80*!
LMAO if hubby did the grilling we would never use it, no matter what the weather!

Myself, I have been known to grill in -20°F
Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #9

Gallery: sprinklesmom
Stats: A little less donk in the old badonkadonk
Holy Guacamole Batman!!! That's some fatty!!

Thanks for the explanation and the pics on how to do it.

I unfortunately do not have a cool smoking grill like you. I live in a 3rd floor condo with a small deck - only have room for my little webber gas grill.

However! All is not lost! I have family with cool grills so keeping this thread as a favorite.

Oh and please share more of your talents with us!!!!
sprinklesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklesmom View Post
Holy Guacamole Batman!!! That's some fatty!!

Thanks for the explanation and the pics on how to do it.

I unfortunately do not have a cool smoking grill like you. I live in a 3rd floor condo with a small deck - only have room for my little webber gas grill.

However! All is not lost! I have family with cool grills so keeping this thread as a favorite.

Oh and please share more of your talents with us!!!!
It can be done on a gas grill. Turn the burners on just on one side, put the meat on the other. Get the temp to about 225 (you may need a separate therm for the side with the meat as most built in therms are in the middle and don't properly gauge temp on the far sides), then take some smoke wood and wrap it up into tin foil balls. Maybe 3. Poke holes in the tin foil with a fork or a knife. Throw the first tin foil ball on the side with the heat. When it stops putting out smoke throw it away and toss on the next foil ball. Cook for about 3 hours.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments. Keep strokin my ego and I'll keep posting stuff I cook on the grill. and I have some crazy stuff. Chicken Cordon Bleu. Meat Loaf. Chicken Spedini. Stuffed onions, tomatoes and peppers. Atomic Buffalo Turds (taste better than the name implies). As well as the standard ribs, brisket, whole chicken, pork loins, turkey breast, etc....And all manner of marinades, rubs, smoke wood combos that my inventive and twisted mind can come up with!?!?!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot 65 View Post
LMAO if hubby did the grilling we would never use it, no matter what the weather!

I grilled a FAT steak last night in about 30 degree weather. It was pretty windy too so the WC was around 10. I have all day meetings tomorrow so I don't know if I will get to put any more content up. I'll try....
Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Gadget Gal

Quote:

Well GRILLING is one thing but when ya got the big ol' SMOKER goin' and you have to BABYSIT it for 3 or more hours - that's ANOTHER thing entirely!

Quote:
I grilled a FAT steak last night in about 30 degree weather. It was pretty windy too so the WC was around 10. I have all day meetings tomorrow so I don't know if I will get to put any more content up. I'll try....
Oh sure - dash in, sign up, get us all watered up and then say you're not sure you can get back....
Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 AM   #13

Charski, Margot!!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:08 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
LOL....the one thing we are getting us is a smoker when we get our income tax to go with our gas grill...I will keep bookmarking these till I get that smoker and I just might try my Weber grill on a WARM winter day here in VA..

HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #15

Gallery: sprinklesmom
Stats: A little less donk in the old badonkadonk
Quote:
So, I'm telling you that spanking your sausage is required when stuffing fatties with cheese. I mean really give it a good beating. If not you may have some premature cheese leakage

You are one crazy fatty smoker...
sprinklesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 230/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Sept. 2014
Those look great!!
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh this is too funny LOL

Char... does it count if the grill is just spewing lots of smoke not on purpose?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklesmom View Post

You are one crazy fatty smoker...
Glad to see someone picked up on that. When I realized there was no way to explain it without sounding dirty, I just went with it!?!?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Glad to see someone picked up on that. When I realized there was no way to explain it without sounding dirty, I just went with it!?!?
I cannot wait to see what you come up with for a chicken recipe!!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #20

Gallery: pocahontas
Its warm here so I see DH and I smoking a fatty real soon!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #21
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Oh this is too funny LOL

Char... does it count if the grill is just spewing lots of smoke not on purpose?
Hmmm, don't think so girlfriend - does the smoke smell like gas? I mean, most of the reason to have smoke is so your meat smells good when you're done smoking your fatty....
Old 01-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Its warm here so I see DH and I smoking a fatty real soon!
OK, so I've seen DH a couple of times. Seems like it means Significant Other. So what does DH stand for?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #23

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
OK, so I've seen DH a couple of times. Seems like it means Significant Other. So what does DH stand for?
Dear (or d@mn! ) husband.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Dear (or d@mn! ) husband.
Got it....Thanks...
Old 01-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
I used the Bacon Explosion recipe last week. I used Italian sausage, spinach and mozzarella, with the outside wrapped in the bacon weave. I baked it in the oven because it was -10 at night and -2 during the day, no way to fire up the smoker in that kind of weather. I don't remember the timing cause I used a meat thermometer. I put it on a rack so the grease would drip off. It was amazing. i served it with pizza sauce. My DH and DS loved it.
Just replying so you know you can bake them, you do not have to have a smoker. I am sure they would be much better in a smoker but that will have to wait til the weather warms up around here.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
When I read the title I had a vision of me being assasinated on the steps of my office building, glad the reality was more appetizing.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #27
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Snickerdoolers
Stats: 252.8/--/150
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
When I read the title I had a vision of me being assasinated on the steps of my office building, glad the reality was more appetizing.
LMAO
Snickerdoolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowzip View Post
I used the Bacon Explosion recipe last week. I used Italian sausage, spinach and mozzarella, with the outside wrapped in the bacon weave. I baked it in the oven because it was -10 at night and -2 during the day, no way to fire up the smoker in that kind of weather. I don't remember the timing cause I used a meat thermometer. I put it on a rack so the grease would drip off. It was amazing. i served it with pizza sauce. My DH and DS loved it.
Just replying so you know you can bake them, you do not have to have a smoker. I am sure they would be much better in a smoker but that will have to wait til the weather warms up around here.
There in lies the difference between smoking a fatty and baking a fatty!?!? With one you stay much warmer in January!?!?!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have heard of getting baked by smoking a fatty too
Old 01-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #30
Gadget Gal