Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiveLaughLove
WOE: Low Carb - My Way
Start Date: Everyday
What do you consider "good" prices on meat/poultry?

I've never really been one to keep track of the price of meats when I buy them. I mean, I notice the prices I guess (obviously they've gotten ridiculously high over the past year or so) but it's always been a situation where I have two grocery stores in my area that I will purchase meat/poulty from because they have the best tasting meats around here so I've never really taken the time to sit down and actually write down meat prices or anything. The only meats that I will buy from Super Wal-mart are the pre-packaged hamburger patties and deli meat simply because anytime I've bought meat from Walmart we haven't been happy with the taste or lack of it.
So now that the economy is what it is and most of us are keeping a closer eye on our finances - if we didn't already - I'm just curious if any of you have a cap. You know, do have a certain dollar amount that you just will not pay for say a chicken breast or a steak or a beef roast. And if you see a certain price in a grocery sale flyer for say pork chops and that "Wow! that's a great price I'm going to stock up!" - then what might that price (or price range) be?
You'd think after doing low carb for so long I wouldn't ask this but I'm sure some of you out there will get what I'm saying about just buying what you need whether you are happy with the price being higher than you'd like or not.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoniBGoode
Stats: 21 lbs gone forever!
WOE: Almost Atkins
Start Date: Aug. 21, 2008
In my area we have a no-frills grocery called Aldi, and we also have Meijer, the discount store. They have pretty low prices on meats, so I use that as my gauge. When the major chain supermarkets offer a lower price, that's when I buy from them.

I think boneless breast of chicken is $1.79 at Aldi every day. Meijer ususally has 85% lean ground beef for $2.25 or so. Salmon $3.99/ lb. I like to buy London Broil on sale when it's $1.99 per lb., pork chops or ribs under $1.50 and chuck about $1.79 or less. All of those are slightly less than Aldi.

I really, really love ribeyes and the better supermarkets in my area sell them for $12.99+ lb. So when I can get them at $7.99 or even $5.99, I stock up.

But here's what I figured out, since I have limited freezer space: it's really dumb for me to have a freezer full of chicken that I'm saving $1 per lb. on, instead of a freezer full of steak that I'm saving $7 per lb. on. Especially since my freezer will only hold about 25 lb. of meat. So now only the really, really expensive stuff, on sale from a major chain, goes in the freezer.

But really it just depends on where you are, and what the competition's prices are.

P.S. I use sundaysaver.com every week to check the ads for all the supermarkets in my area. Usually they have a feature where you can click the category "meat" and see who has what on sale. I'm flexible, so usually I'll just eat whatever's on sale.
JoniBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SteelerfanAL
Stats: 244/233/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Start 01/13/09
I eat mostly chicken, and i try and catch it for 1.99/lb at korger or at costco or sams. there is a flat iron steak taht kroger sells and i only by them when they are 3.99 or 4.99 a pound. I do buy salmon when kroger has it and it looks good, and that price varies, but usually about $5-6/lb and that is farm raised, but i found some wild, which i WAY better at costco, for the same price. I found a boston but pork roast for 1.49/lb at costco as well.

GO [COLOR="Yellow"][COLOR="Black"]STEELERS[/COLOR]!![/COLOR]!
SteelerfanAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missymagoo12
Stats: 235/225/145
WOE: stellastyle,atkins
Start Date: april 2004
it is different sometimes- aldis has good sales but ours if you get whole chicken fryers they are allready frozen so to me that not worth it if i am looking for something to cook then. i get them there when they run 69 cents or 88 cents . their ground beef i bought before . krogers i get most of my meat. salmon when it is 6.00 a pound at krogers if on sale. this coming april ish i may start going to a small butcher shop and order a side of beef and have cut up how i want it. sue
missymagoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Lounge Chef & Typo Queen!!

Gallery: SnowWhite
Stats: 450/ Ugh/185
Start Date: 5/26/03 * WLS 1/15/04
Beef: Anything under $3/lb

Pork: 1.99/lb

Chicken: depends on what parts...in general though: breast 1.99/lb, quarters .69/lb, thighs/drumsticks $1/lb, whole chicken: .89/lb
SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
Wow, you guys are getting some good prices! I do often see chicken breast at a local store for $1.99 per pound, but it is the store brand, and quite honestly, I'd rather pay an extra $.50 per pound to get the better qualifty chicken when on sale (it's Perdue at that store). When other stores have Gold'n Plump chicken breasts for $3.00 per pound, I stock up because they are even better! I'm the type of person who removes all the veins and other "gross" parts from the boneless skinless breasts, so by the time I do that with the cheaper chicken, it ends up costing more than the better quality chicken, which is already nicely trimmed. I still have not found decent quality chicken that comes frozen in the 3 pound bag.

I usually buy ground beef at Sam's. The 93% lean is usually $2.29 per pound. I buy some steaks at Sam's too, but mostly get those at SuperTarget. They often have strip steaks for $5.99 per pound, and their meat is actually really good. I also buy the frozen no-name steaks, and usually pay around $10 for a box of 4 steaks. I stoked up this summer when they were on sale and I still have about 3 boxes in the freezer.

For pork, I often see center cut pork loin roasts or chops for $1.99. I don;t stock up as much because it seems like pork sales are more frequent than beef or chicken.
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bissonnettemi
meats to be at $1.99 lb. or less, splurge on sirloin and pay a bit more, and a good fresh fish as well.

Yesterday, ground pork for $1.17 lb., huge pork loin for $1.79 lb. & prk ribs for the same at Meijer, not something I usually buy, but am gonna cook the ribs for St Patty's Day (as DH hates corned beef), will make green chili w 1/2 of the loin. Since the prices aren't going to go down if everyones willing to pay top dollar, I am trying to curb costs.

We have an Aldi here, too, but I usually only buy cheese & eggs there on occasion. I search online for the prices of meat, dairy & produce only at the 4major chain grocers we have here (Meijer, Kroger, Giant Eagle & Walmart)

If prices are good at Sam's, Costco or Trader Joes when I'm there for my usual things, I do stock up on meat there too...but I need a bigger freezer! Maybe the Easter Bunny will bring me one, instead of the stuff that rots my teeth

"Jesus I Trust in You" is my signature

top wt~310-10/98. low wt~133 in '01 & '02. revamp start w/ low-carb wt~200-4/08.
160.2 lbs.~6/10/09.
BMI 25.1
goal is to be at a normal BMI (between 135-159) just about there again !
Bissonnettemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #8

Gallery: frogfarm
Stats: 150/145/155
WOE: Custom
Start Date: June 2008
After hearing what goes on behind closed doors from an ex-Meijer employee, I now buy all my fresh meat from the local butcher's shop. I'll report back with some more prices ASAP, but for now I remember that beef liver is 0.99/pound; whole chickens (cleaned, gizzards/etc removed) are 1.29/pound; and farm fresh eggs are 1.99/dozen. I hope to be giving them my business for many years to come!
frogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bissonnettemi View Post
meats to be at $1.99 lb. or less, splurge on sirloin and pay a bit more, and a good fresh fish as well.

Yesterday, ground pork for $1.17 lb., huge pork loin for $1.79 lb. & prk ribs for the same at Meijer, not something I usually buy, but am gonna cook the ribs for St Patty's Day (as DH hates corned beef), will make green chili w 1/2 of the loin. Since the prices aren't going to go down if everyones willing to pay top dollar, I am trying to curb costs.

We have an Aldi here, too, but I usually only buy cheese & eggs there on occasion. I search online for the prices of meat, dairy & produce only at the 4major chain grocers we have here (Meijer, Kroger, Giant Eagle & Walmart)

If prices are good at Sam's, Costco or Trader Joes when I'm there for my usual things, I do stock up on meat there too...but I need a bigger freezer! Maybe the Easter Bunny will bring me one, instead of the stuff that rots my teeth

I'm glad someone else commented on this to bump it up ... it reminded me of something. I have noticed recently at my local grocery store where I love to buy my meats, they have been having really good BOGO sales plus a lot of in-store savings on the meats (I assume to keep sales up due to the economy). Anyhow - I've been buying lots of extra meat because of it and I'm concerned about freezer burn. I do have one of those vaccum sealers (both the big one and the hand held) but I've never been completely happy with them because with both sizes I notice that it's hit or miss as to whether or not they compltely seal out all the air.
Do you all think it's better to seal your meat in saran wrap and then freezer paper (or saran wrap and then freezer safe ziplocks) or the vaccum sealers. Which do you prefer??
LiveLaughLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #10

Vacuum sealers! (I need a new one!) Without one, I would wrap in butcher paper first and then a freezer ziploc -- I just don't like plastic touching it for prolonged periods.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

LLL, I don't know what is better , I usually just use the Freezer ziplock bags. I have also wrapped in individual portions in wax paper and then in freezer bags. This is one reason I really want a deep freezer, if I had one I'd invest in butcher paper & perhaps a vacuum sealer.
Sometimes I cook up the meat and then freeze for quicker meals for later.
Hopefully someone else w/ more experience than I will let us know their opinion
Old 03-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I wish we had a meat market closer than DwnTwn, Columbus...

I think I'd do better buying from the local farmers. Looking forward to spring when we return to having farmers market again.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cindy P
Stats: 347/278/150
WOE: atkins/again after slacking off :(
Start Date: june 18, 2003
the local butcher shop here is awesome. I get a package deal every month..this month was:
20 lbs. chicken breasts 10 lbs with bone 10 without
5 whole chickens
12 6.oz/ ribeyes with bone
12 5.oz ny strip steaks
5 lbs of chicken wings
5 lbs of center cut pork chops
2 pork tenderloins about 3 lbs. each
5 lb bacon thick cut
4 nathans hot dog packages
10 lbs of ground sirloin.
5 lbs of ground turkey or turkey sausage
5 dozen large white eggs
We get all of this on the 3rd of every month for 200.00 plus tax. all the meat is local and butchered local. I fill my freezer and make packages numbered so I know what I am cooking and on what night, as I use it I just wipe it off the whiteboard by the freezer so I know what is left in there for meals. This lasts a family of 4 all month with about 5 meals leftover.
Cindy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
Beef: Anything under $3/lb

Pork: 1.99/lb

Chicken: depends on what parts...in general though: breast 1.99/lb, quarters .69/lb, thighs/drumsticks $1/lb, whole chicken: .89/lb
Yes, this is about my prices too except I usually pay up tp $4/lb for beef because I prefer the higher end cuts. I get these prices by shopping the sales at my local HFS and their meat is horomone free, all natural and some is certified organic. I stock up on wild salmon, prawns and other seafood when they are going for about $3.99/lb too.
pocahontas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Last week I drove 45 minutes each way for $3.99/lb Porterhouse steaks -- freezer is now officially full.

Thanks to the Uber-Carnivore on the ZeroCarb thread who happened to mention this sale in one of her posts.

P.S. I usually freeze stuff in freezer bags, but these babies got the full Foodsaver vacuum seal treatment, lol.

Last edited by retroworx; 03-15-2009 at 08:58 PM..
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #16

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogfarm View Post
Vacuum sealers! (I need a new one!) Without one, I would wrap in butcher paper first and then a freezer ziploc -- I just don't like plastic touching it for prolonged periods.
frogfarm - what about the plastic packaging used with the vacuum sealer?
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
That was what I thought too.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:51 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I enjoy my vaccum sealers, especially the small hand-held one. It's super quick. But I get irritated because they are sealed and it looks as if all the air is out, you stick the sealed meat in the freezer and low and behold the next time you check it - there is ice on the inside of the bag. This is hit or miss though - sometimes there's a great seal and no ice, others times not so much. I just wish it was consistent. The same thing happens with both my large sealer and the small and I've heard other complaints about this too.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #19

Quote:
I cheerfully admit this is a hopeless rationalization on my part not backed up by any amount of science or even anecdotal evidence
Old 03-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #20
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: hdyhouse
Stats: 335/211/195
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2003
In my area, I have 11 different supermarkets to choose from. As a result, there is a lot of competition. I have certain "trigger prices" where I will stock up on meat. One of the best things I did when I started this WOE, was to buy a small chest freezer to stock up when the prices are good and to work through the "inventory" when there is no particularly attractive price available. For example, this week I bought pork sausage for $.99/lb, ground chuck for $1.45/lb, and sirloin steak for $2.35/lb, each of which I will use in my menu's this week. My "trigger" price for chicken breast is $.99/lb (I remove the bone myself, when I want boneless, and then use the bones to make broth. My trigger price for Boston Butt and pork steak is $.99/lb, boneless pork loin $1.49, pork chops $1.29, whole chicken $.49/lb, and boneless rib eye $3.99/lb.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kerbear879
Stats: 341/200.2/160 @ 5'9"
Start Date: 3/23/2005
well i specifically go to a certain costco in town because the ribeyes and the strip steak are always 5.89 a pound which is a steal around here! (and they frickin' taste awesome!)

I also buy the lamb loin's for 5.99 a pound which is a pretty good deal.

That's pretty much the whole reason I have a costco card.

As for seafood, I find that Albertson's around here always has a sale. Their snow crab legs are always on sale for 4.99 a pound. They also always have a buy one get one free sale on their sirloins and chicken breast so I usually stock up.

Unfortunately, I don't have a very big freezer so I don't go crazy when I buy meat. Just enough to last about 2 weeks or so.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #22

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Quote:
I cheerfully admit this is a hopeless rationalization on my part not backed up by any amount of science or even anecdotal evidence
OK, gotcha!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Quote:
It's a "hopeless rationalization" that I happen to share!

I wrap meat in waxed paper, then in heavy duty aluminum foil, then place in a zipper freezer bag.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote