Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #61
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Oh, I'm sure they will. The 12-hole mini bundt pan I used the first time holds about the same as a regular muffin pan, and the half batch I made today produced those 6 beauties, so I'm sure it will be fine!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Great, thanks Charski! I'll report back when they are out of the oven!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #63
Gadget Gal

TAKE PICTURES!

If you don't have chocolate, you could always make them without and then split them and eat with SF jam....
Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 02/24/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Oh Davian, those look scrumptious, will try soon - doing Induction to remove the couple extra "winter pounds" right now!

What day was your son born? I'm an October baby too! Congrats!
It was THE smoothest pregnancy of all time and the best timed delivery on record.

Brogan Michael was born on 10/22/08 at 3:29 PM he was 7 lbs. 9 oz. and 20 inches. Today 1/21/09 he's 16 lbs. and 26 1/2 inches! My DD didn't hit that size until 6 months!

I went in to the hospital at 9 AM and was done completely by 5 PM and back in room eating dinner. My Sister (who attended and is a Nurse) and my MIL both work at the hospital I delivered at and both just punched in when I got there LOL and punched out when I was done.

If money and space were unlimited and every one went like that, I'd have 10 kids - it was truly amazing!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #65
Gadget Gal

TEN KIDS??!!?? [Char faints] Well I'm glad you had a relatively easy time of it at least!! 10/22 is the day before my Sister's b'day. Next time, try for mine, 10/16, OK?!

BTW the choco/chunk muffins were scrumptious - my Non-LC friend and her Non-LC hubby scarfed 'em up! AND asked for the recipe!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Posting to subscribe...

I so want to try this recipe...but I've got to finish off the muffins I have...or I might just stick them in the freezer, these look and sound so good...as I sit here drooling on my keyboard.

Edited to ask...Char...when you open your natural peanut butter do you mix the oil back in or pour it off?

Last edited by The Chicken Lady; 01-21-2009 at 10:11 PM..
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 02/24/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
TEN KIDS??!!?? [Char faints] Well I'm glad you had a relatively easy time of it at least!! 10/22 is the day before my Sister's b'day. Next time, try for mine, 10/16, OK?!

BTW the choco/chunk muffins were scrumptious - my Non-LC friend and her Non-LC hubby scarfed 'em up! AND asked for the recipe!
LOL, I'd probably faint too. If it's any consolation, my 20th anniversary is on 10/15 so I'm fairly close there. Amost all of my friends were born in October starting on the 4th and ending the 31st - a very busy month of celebrating!
Davian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
DELICIOUS!

Just made these. I halved the recipe (due to lack of Almond Flour). My only sub, was mayo for the sour cream (due to lack of sour cream). I used one Tablespoon EVOO and the baking POWEDER (didn't reread whole thread). Adding a chunk of sugar free chocolate on top, half way through baking. I buy the chocolate at Whole Foods, it is where the bulk chocolate chunks are, there is no advertising that it is there, just happened upon it one day, when I was reading labels.

They came out perfect... ate one about 10 minutes out and it was very good but peanut butter taste was slightly mild. Just had another 1 hour out and the peanut butter flavor is more pronounced.... I am betting these will be better tomorrow, just like Charski said

Enjoy
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #69
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
Posting to subscribe...

I so want to try this recipe...but I've got to finish off the muffins I have...or I might just stick them in the freezer, these look and sound so good...as I sit here drooling on my keyboard.

Edited to ask...Char...when you open your natural peanut butter do you mix the oil back in or pour it off?
I store my jars upside down in the cupboard until I open them - so most of the oil is in the bottom of the jar - then I can stir it in more easily without sloshing it all out the top - but yes, I do stir it in, not pour it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
DELICIOUS!

Just made these. I halved the recipe (due to lack of Almond Flour). My only sub, was mayo for the sour cream (due to lack of sour cream). I used one Tablespoon EVOO and the baking POWEDER (didn't reread whole thread). Adding a chunk of sugar free chocolate on top, half way through baking. I buy the chocolate at Whole Foods, it is where the bulk chocolate chunks are, there is no advertising that it is there, just happened upon it one day, when I was reading labels.

They came out perfect... ate one about 10 minutes out and it was very good but peanut butter taste was slightly mild. Just had another 1 hour out and the peanut butter flavor is more pronounced.... I am betting these will be better tomorrow, just like Charski said

Enjoy
Oh, I'm so glad you liked them! Mayo huh? Very interesting! In that case I think using the baking POWDER was the right thing to do because I doubt the mayo has enough acidity to cause the baking SODA to do its thang and rise up those bad boys - don't know that for sure though as mayo DOES usually have lemon juice and/or vinegar, I'm just not sure if it's ENOUGH at that quantity in the recipe to do the trick!

In any event I'm happy to hear your tweakage went well and yeah, they most definitely taste better when they have had at least a few hours to meld the flavors.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 01-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

I made these yesterday and the texture is fantastic. The only thing is I can taste the baking soda, and DH could too. Maybe I used too much (2 tsp)? These are really great though, next time I'll use baking powder, I've never noticed a flavor with baking powder (and honestly I've never used baking soda in baking, always the powder). I'll try to post a pic of these later today, I lost the cable that connects to my camera to my computer so I may not be able to download it!

I found a little technique for getting almond flour more "floury", if you use xylitol or erythritol. I buy blanched almond slivers and grind them in my coffee grinder to get flour. It always turns out kind of mealy. I found if you add a tablespoon or two of E or X to the almonds while grinding in the coffee grinder the texture comes out extremely fine. I usually just measure out the blanched slivers (scant cup if the recipe calls for a cup of flour) and measure out the X or E and grind them together in batches. Then sift the mixture and you have a very smooth flour with your sweetener ground fine too. Worked like a charm, thought I'd share.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I found a little technique for getting almond flour more "floury", if you use xylitol or erythritol. I buy blanched almond slivers and grind them in my coffee grinder to get flour. It always turns out kind of mealy. I found if you add a tablespoon or two of E or X to the almonds while grinding in the coffee grinder the texture comes out extremely fine. I usually just measure out the blanched slivers (scant cup if the recipe calls for a cup of flour) and measure out the X or E and grind them together in batches. Then sift the mixture and you have a very smooth flour with your sweetener ground fine too. Worked like a charm, thought I'd share.
What a great idea...I wonder if it would work to make almond flour a little fluffier? I'm going to give it a try!!
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #72
Gadget Gal

Quote:
I made these yesterday and the texture is fantastic. The only thing is I can taste the baking soda, and DH could too. Maybe I used too much (2 tsp)? These are really great though, next time I'll use baking powder, I've never noticed a flavor with baking powder (and honestly I've never used baking soda in baking, always the powder). I'll try to post a pic of these later today, I lost the cable that connects to my camera to my computer so I may not be able to download it!

Yeah, I detected a slight flavor which I also attributed to the BS after I discovered that is what I used so I was more careful measuring when I made the batch yesterday; I also added a drizzle of peanut butter extract and I didn't notice that taste at all. Maybe a skosh of vanilla extract would help too?

I just bought a fresh can of baking POWDER (which is what I THOUGHT I was buying when I got that can of BS from Trader Joe's) and may try that next time instead, and see what changes if anything with the results as far as rise and taste.

I love that everyone is experimenting and tweaking and using what they have on hand for these!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

It turns out very powdery. Some of the mixture gets a bit clumped at the bottom of the grinder, I just scoop that out with the fine powder then sift it all when I'm done and kind of use my fingers on the clumps. If there are any big chunks in the flour then they don't end up in the recipe! It comes out very fluffy if you sift it.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

The texture of these muffins are FANTASTIC and they actually rose like a normal muffin and the tops stayed nice! I used a 1/3 cup costco natural peanut butter and I used whole milk fage yogurt instead of sour cream. As these cooled the BS flavor wasn't as pronounced. The BS flavor is not bad at all, I'm stilll eating them! I just noticed a slight BS taste. I'll be making these again for sure, but will try the BP instead.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Ha, found my cable! Here are some pics. I was a bit stingy with the chocolate, I found some Ghiradelli extra bitter "chips" and just added 5 to each muffin and they sunk to the bottom. Next time I'll add a few more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0040.jpg (39.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0041.jpg (39.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
YUP YUP on the Almond Flour Grinding... I find whizzing it with even the smallest amount TBL or less of protein powder/sweetner and/or baking powder/soda, really helps get the meal fine
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #77
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Ha, found my cable! Here are some pics. I was a bit stingy with the chocolate, I found some Ghiradelli extra bitter "chips" and just added 5 to each muffin and they sunk to the bottom. Next time I'll add a few more.

Ang, those turned out pretty!

Gary, stop drooling on your keyboard - you're gonna clog it all up and IT will be mad at you!

NGJ26, that's an interesting thing that whirring the almonds with some granular sweetener or protein powder produces a finer overall product! I just use the Honeyville Grains blanched almond meal so it's all done for me already!
Old 01-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Great tip about the E, Angie! Sliced almonds work better than slivered almonds for almond flour.

Am trying these muffins again once I can control myself around peanut butter. It was a terrible couple of days after making these the last time with all that leftover PB... The texture is REALLY great though! It's a keeper of a recipe, Char.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

I'll have to try the sliced almonds next time, thanks for the tip as well!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #80
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Great tip about the E, Angie! Sliced almonds work better than slivered almonds for almond flour.

Am trying these muffins again once I can control myself around peanut butter. It was a terrible couple of days after making these the last time with all that leftover PB... The texture is REALLY great though! It's a keeper of a recipe, Char.
Thanks, Lauren! Hey, you could just give the rest of the jar of PB to somebody down the hall, huh? Or, go to Whole Foods or someplace where you can grind up your own and make just enough for the recipe....

Last edited by Charski; 01-22-2009 at 06:20 PM..
Old 01-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #81
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Like Charski, I store my natural pb upside down so the oil is on the bottom by the time I open the jars.

For what it's worth, I then pop the pb and oil into a mixing bowl and beat it to blend. I just can't properly stir it in the jar. The mixed pb is stored in a Tupperware or such in the fridge. It doesn't separate again, I've found, if it's mixed up thoroughly in a bowl rather than in the jar.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:43 AM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
I wonder if these would be good with 1/2 of Cocoa Powder instead of the Chocolate Chips in them?? Cant you tell I am CRAVING chocolate..TOM time...

HUGS!

Last edited by mac24312; 01-24-2009 at 08:49 AM..
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #83
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24312 View Post
I wonder if these would be good with 1/2 of Cocoa Powder instead of the Chocolate Chips in them?? Cant you tell I am CRAVING chocolate..TOM time...

HUGS!
Can't wait to hear how your experiment comes out!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Here is my tweaks to these...I did use 1 cup Natural Chunky Peanut Butter and 1/4 cup of cocoa and 3/4 cup of E and about 1/2 tsp of Liquid Stevia...These are good and addictive but I think I still cooked them just a tad too long..but they are still good and taste like a chocolate muffin with Peanut Butter...here are my pictures..these will be gone in no time and I will be making more expect adding more sour cream to make them a little more moist...

HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rottinluv
Stats: 141/110/110 Height 5' nothing!
WOE: Low Carb / Whole, Natural Foods!
Start Date: October 24, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib View Post
Like Charski, I store my natural pb upside down so the oil is on the bottom by the time I open the jars.

For what it's worth, I then pop the pb and oil into a mixing bowl and beat it to blend. I just can't properly stir it in the jar. The mixed pb is stored in a Tupperware or such in the fridge. It doesn't separate again, I've found, if it's mixed up thoroughly in a bowl rather than in the jar.
What a great idea mixing it in a bowl with a mixer! Also, I just ran out to cupboard to turn my unopened jar upside down. Thanks Charski and Zib!!
rottinluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #86
Gadget Gal

Mmmm, Christina, those look GOOOOD!!

You're welcome, Leanne, and I may try Zib's method too!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #87
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Charski and rottinluv, to make the mixing worth my while, I do two jars at a time.

And licking the beaters is a side benefit....
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #88
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib View Post
Charski and rottinluv, to make the mixing worth my while, I do two jars at a time.

And licking the beaters is a side benefit....
LOL! Well that goes without saying, huh? Too bad if a few SF chocolate chunks, or some really good dark chocolate pieces, got stuck to that PB....
Old 01-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #89
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: TinaBina
WOE: L/C
I want to try these, they look so delicious. Do you think I could sub coconut milk for the sour cream or yogurt? I can't have dairy.
TinaBina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #90
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: TinaBina
WOE: L/C
Bumping in hopes of an answer
TinaBina is offline   Reply With Quote