Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Orange Stack Cake: 100 calories!

I'm iced in here today folks, so instead of eating everything in sight, I thought I'd bake everything in site. Here is the result of today's experiment:

(caution: specialty ingredients ahead!)

Retroworx's Orange Stack Cake (Microwave)
(makes 1 insane stack cake or 4 muffin tops)

Only 102 calories and 3 carbs for the entire recipe! (plus a whopping 15 grams of protein)

DRY INGREDIENTS

* 2 tablespoons oat fiber
* 1 tablespoon coconut flour
* 1 1/2 tablespoons egg white powder
* 1 tablespoon erythritol (granular)
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon cellulose powder (I believe this helps rise and texture; you could probably sub some amount of xanthan gum instead)

WET INGREDIENTS

* 2 tablespoons Z Trim fat replacement gel (some amount of butter could be used instead, I'm sure!)
* 1/2 tablespoon Walden Farms Marshmallow Dip
* 1/4 teaspoon (scant) LorAnn Orange Bakery Emulsion (can be subbed with orange extract, to taste)
* 1/4 teaspoon (scant) liquid Splenda
* 8 tablespoons water

CREAMSICLE ICING

* 2 tablespoons fat free cream cheese
* 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (Fage)
* 1 tablespoon Walden Farms Marshmallow Dip
* 2 tablespoons Erythritol (powdered, ground)
* 1/8 teaspoon LorAnn Orange Bakery Emulsion (can be subbed with orange extract, to taste)
* 1 drop red food coloring
* 4 drops food coloring

Directions

1. Grind dry ingredients in Magic Bullet. (I do this because sometimes the egg white powder clumps.)
2. Mix dry ingredients into blended wet ingredients.
3. Scoop evenly into greased silicone muffin top wells.
4. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Flip, then nuke for 1 minute more to dry out the bottoms.
5. Remove to rack for cooling.
6. For icing, mix all together until smooth. (This is not a thick fudgy icing -- you may want to put it in the fridge after blending to allow it to set up a bit before frosting.) This icing makes more than enough to cover the 4 individual muffins.

And here's a photo. Looks like yummy cheese whiz glopping down the sides, doesn't it? (Would probably have been better to dye the cake and have left the frosting white. Oh, well, next time.) Actually, this wouldn't make a bad savory bread with the elimination of the sweeteners and extracts and some more cook time or less liquid.

I'm also gonna try a chocolate version next. (Of course!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orange_stack_cake.jpg (62.7 KB, 73 views)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Retro!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Retro!
Just sent you an email about this one
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

BTW, one thing I gotta say in defense of low carb dessert recipes:

I've been so occupied puttering around the kitchen. . .

I haven't eaten all day! It's 4 PM here and all I've had is a bite of this cake, LOL.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

what delicious and filling little cakes!!!! I loved them!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
what delicious and filling little cakes!!!! I loved them!
Wow, you are fast!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: boaz
sounds delicious
boaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I made these last night Retro and put them in the fridge. A taste test was great. Another winner - I think these are my new favorite! Does the cal/carb count include the frosting? I'll eat them plain - does that change the counts?

Thanks for your great experiments. I love these little microwave cakes/breads! Now what do we do to replace z-trim when my bag runs out?
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Just saw your post on the other thread. Only 60 cals without frosting! WOW!! Thank You!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
I made these last night Retro and put them in the fridge. A taste test was great. Another winner - I think these are my new favorite! Does the cal/carb count include the frosting? I'll eat them plain - does that change the counts?

Thanks for your great experiments. I love these little microwave cakes/breads! Now what do we do to replace z-trim when my bag runs out?
Hi SS:

Yup, the calorie count of 100 (well, actually 102, LOL) includes the frosting! Without the frosting, the total count for all 4 muffins is 51 calories, <1 fat, <1 carb and 8 protein. Per muffin, then: 12.75 cals, <1 fat, <1 carb and 2 protein. Pretty good deal, huh?

There had been a discussion on the Tastykakes thread about trying to make our own Butterscotch Crimpets -- I'm wondering how these would do with a little butterscotch pudding. . . .

Smart to fridge them overnight -- I find all this microwaved stuff improves when the flavor has some time to meld.

Very good question about replacing the Z Trim and one I will need to confront as well once my hoard runs out (which admittedly won't be for quite a while. :blush You know you can still purchase the powder if you phone them directly, right? Almost all of my crucial low carb/cal recipes use it and I'm gonna' wind up pretty desperate because I don't want to reformulate all the recipes. If you hear of a promising replacement, give a holler.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Retro--I made these this morning subbing a teaspoon of cinnamon for the LorAnne oil and they were wonderful!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Retro--I made these this morning subbing a teaspoon of cinnamon for the LorAnne oil and they were wonderful!
Ooh, good idea. That and some cream cheese frosting -- not quite a Cinnabon but I can dream, can't I?

I may try that version later, or perhaps some banana flavor and sour cream frosting.

I sooo want to do some more experimenting as I'm iced in here again today, but I soooo don't want the calories! Someone needs to skate their way over here and help eat the rejects.

'Course, often my baking rejects seem to make a fine bread pudding. . . . or french "toast" . . . . or trifle. . ..or. . . .
Old 01-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Retro - I just phoned z-trim and ordered 3 bags of powder. That was all I could afford, but should hold me a long time. It doesn't need to be frozen or anything to store it right? Hope it gets here allright. It was a little flakey ordering process but I'm so happy I got it. Thanks!

And after being in the fridge overnight my orange muffins are yummy!

So now teach me what to do with this carton of mimic cream that is sitting unopened in my fridge!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Retro - I just phoned z-trim and ordered 3 bags of powder. That was all I could afford, but should hold me a long time. It doesn't need to be frozen or anything to store it right? Hope it gets here allright. It was a little flakey ordering process but I'm so happy I got it. Thanks!

And after being in the fridge overnight my orange muffins are yummy!

So now teach me what to do with this carton of mimic cream that is sitting unopened in my fridge!
Yes, the Z Trim got crazy expensive -- no wonder they are biting the dust retail-wise. And yeah, they sure don't have their act together there behind the scenes either. They were running a special just before they shut down the retail ordering website -- the language read as 2-for-1, but apparently they really meant the deal to be one free bag per order. I held them to the offer as written, however, and they did agree to honor it, hence my stockpile.

Glad you got more so that you can play with me.

Mimic Creme? Why absolutely anywhere you would normally use cream -- savory or sweet I haven't found it to fail yet as far as taste or texture. Once fridged, it's actually significantly thicker than cream, which I like. I've used it in the following: creamed soups, faux potatoes, chai tea, cheese sauce, Indian dishes, Thai dishes, hot chocolate, etc. I sometimes use it in combo with Almond Milk to cut the calories even more.

HTH!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Retroworx, I know you don't need a ztrim replacement for awhile. But I thought maybe chia gel would work. You dilute the chia seeds with water 1 to 8 or 1 to 9 ratio. That ought to significantly reduce the calories. It wouldn't be 0 calorie like ztrim, but it might do in a pinch.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shunsweet--I make an incredible hot cocoa with mimiccreme--mix 1 Tbs hersheys dark cocoa with hot water to make a paste--add a couple of Tbs of mimic creme, unsweetened almond milk and the sweetener of your choice--whisk and nuke--some damn good stuff for a fraction of the calories of regular cocoa==

I also add mimic creme to a couple of wedges of laughing cow onion cheese to make an alfredo sauce for my shirataki noodles--

As Retro says, awesome stuff, and at only 10 calories per Tbs a real bargain for the quality it adds to any dish!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the mimic cream tips. I'll try it in my next alfredo. And I make a cream based clam chowder too - maybe it would be good there. Just wish it would whip!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Is there a thread about this Mimic Creme you speak of? I've never heard of it before but looked on Netrition and it sounds like it's a good product to have on hand. I'm particularly interested in what it adds to ice cream. Does it need to be refrigerated?
Tweaker Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Retro--back to your original post--I made pizza with this recipe tonight--I left out the sweeteners, and added some parmesan cheese and italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder to the dry ingredients--nuked it in a cake pan, then topped with *your* cheese sauce, sauteed mushrooms, turkey pepperoni, and a shredded mozarella cheese stick and then stuck it under the broiler. Extremely filling for about 225 calories! Thank You for this!!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Retro--back to your original post--I made pizza with this recipe tonight--I left out the sweeteners, and added some parmesan cheese and italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder to the dry ingredients--nuked it in a cake pan, then topped with *your* cheese sauce, sauteed mushrooms, turkey pepperoni, and a shredded mozarella cheese stick and then stuck it under the broiler. Extremely filling for about 225 calories! Thank You for this!!
Ouis:

Great minds think alike! The same day I made the orange cake I made a savory variation: pizza "bread." Adjusted the liquids down for less cake-like "fluff" and added olives, sundried tomatoes (wow, didn't realize how caloric and carby these are -- but I really liked the "chew" of them in the "bread"), grated pecorino romano, garlic, oregano, and chopped-up turkey pepperoni. No cheese or anything broiled on top -- this was all in the bread. Pretty darned salty, tho! (BTW, usually my baked goods made with oat fiber won't toast up and get anywhere near crunchy because of the moisture retention of the fiber and because I usually don't have fat in the recipe, but this actually got crunchy when I toasted it after nuking -- I'm assuming this was because of the cheese.)

Did you nuke yours all as one piece, not as separate "pizzas"? Did it rise evenly that way?

I made a chocolate brownie variation this eve that might become my "go to" chocolate fix. I'll post the recipe later, maybe in a separate thread.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Retroworx, I know you don't need a ztrim replacement for awhile. But I thought maybe chia gel would work. You dilute the chia seeds with water 1 to 8 or 1 to 9 ratio. That ought to significantly reduce the calories. It wouldn't be 0 calorie like ztrim, but it might do in a pinch.
Hiya Soobee:

You know, someone had mentioned this possibility before, but I had thought that the chia would be too caloric. But if I am understanding your ratio correctly, 1 tbsp chia would make 8 tbsp of gel? So, roughly, 20 calories per tablespoon of gel?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks for the mimic cream tips. I'll try it in my next alfredo. And I make a cream based clam chowder too - maybe it would be good there. Just wish it would whip!
Yes! I forgot to mention that I've used it in clam chowder. Mushroom soup too!

The manufacturer has been working on a whip-able version, btw.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Is there a thread about this Mimic Creme you speak of? I've never heard of it before but looked on Netrition and it sounds like it's a good product to have on hand. I'm particularly interested in what it adds to ice cream. Does it need to be refrigerated?
Hi Tweaker:

Here's the initial thread about Mimic Creme:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...iry-cream.html
(Includes some comments there about its use in ice cream).

MC doesn't need refrigeration -- it comes in the same Tetra Paks as Almond Milk.

Be sure to get the UNsweetened version so that you can use your preferred blend.

HTH,
Old 01-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

You know, I think my next variation of this might be some sort of "rye" bread. A roll (2 muffin tops) would only be 25 calories-ish and would be a lot easier and faster for my occasional corned beef sandwich than whipping up a whole batch of Revolution Rolls. I'm thinkin' less liquid, more cook time, less leavening and some caraway seeds. Might need to add something else for "chewiness" if these adjustments don't suffice -- usually VWG or WPI 8000 would handle that, but I really don't like the taste they impart and don't want to add yet another weird ingredient and alienate the only 2 remaining people on the planet who have the ingredients to make my recipes.

Anyone have any "chewiness" suggestions that won't add too many calories? Protein powder can be "rubbery" -- might be able to use that to my advantage. . . .
Old 01-09-2009, 05:43 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Keep experimenting Retro! As one of your disciples I am learning and loving these LC/LCal treats. I've been looking for a pizza crust with no wheat products and less cals so I'll try that next. And though I'm not really a choc girl I'm waiting for the brownies too!

I like my treats and bread subs to be ultra low for JUDDD DD and to save cals for my high fat meats!

I have no kitchen creativity so I bow to your wisdom, experiments, and knowlege! And quizoid you rock as well! Thank you! Thank you!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Keep experimenting Retro! As one of your disciples I am learning and loving these LC/LCal treats. I've been looking for a pizza crust with no wheat products and less cals so I'll try that next. And though I'm not really a choc girl I'm waiting for the brownies too!

I like my treats and bread subs to be ultra low for JUDDD DD and to save cals for my high fat meats!

I have no kitchen creativity so I bow to your wisdom, experiments, and knowlege! And quizoid you rock as well! Thank you! Thank you!
Thanks for the encouragement, SS.

Oh, right, I forgot you were our no-chocolate girl. Hmmm, we'll have to whip up a butterscotch crimpet or congo bar for you instead.

I made a kind of McGriddle the other day by using the base recipe, some SF maple syrup, and some bacon bits. Not bad. . .

What I like about this base cake recipe is that the cals are so low that I was actually able to put some frosting on the darned thing, or add chocolate chips to my brownie version and STILL keep them fairly close to 100 calories for the whole batch. Add-ins like choc chips (and nuts for banana bread ) are something I had given up in my baked goods because I couldn't afford the calories. How sad is that??
Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Brownie! Brownie! Brownie!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Brownie! Brownie! Brownie!
I was just about to go make a batch, actually, but because I love ya' I'll delay my gratification and concede to your demand.

New thread for it. Here ya' go:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post11386320
Old 01-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #29
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Even though at this point in time I have NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER in making this recipe - I keep reading this thread because it's SO ENTERTAINING!! Thanks, Retro, I'm really enjoying reading your experiments and your commentary!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Even though at this point in time I have NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER in making this recipe - I keep reading this thread because it's SO ENTERTAINING!! Thanks, Retro, I'm really enjoying reading your experiments and your commentary!
We aim to please, Charski!