Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Melloshello
WOE: Low Carb
This thread has been extremely helpful. Having been unemployed for 18 of the last 24 months, I have had to get VERY creative in my meal planning to remain low carb. One of the best scores I find for meat is to visit your local grocery store early in the morning on Monday or Tuesday mornings. I hit the jackpot weekly on mark down meats. My freezer is currently filled with chicken breast, roast, steak, and ground beef from these sales. Unbelievably, the 99 Cents Only store always has a ton of fresh produce in my area. You can't beat it for 99 cents!
Melloshello is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
WOE: Atkins
Sometimes I make my best meals with a dab of this and a touch of that. Today in the desert we had high winds and snow flurries. Kept the fire going all day while my husband drywalled an out building on our place. I figured I'd make some soup out of what was on hand and it turned out great.When my husband came in it was ready, all we added was shredded pepper jack cheese and a squeeze of lime.

Windy Day Soup

3 frozen turkey wings
1 can chicken broth
parsley flakes
1/2 jar Trader Joe's salsa Autentica
1 carrot, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
handful of cauliflower, chopped
1 small yellow squash, chopped
1/2 cup cooked sweet potato, mashed
salt, onion powder, garlic powder
handful of chopped cilantro

Cover the turkey wings with water, cook till meat is tender. Skin and bone the meat, chop, add to broth. Add can of chicken broth, veggies, except cilantro, seasonings, salsa, sweet potato. Cook till veggies are tender. Add cilantro, cook a little more.Serve with grated cheese and a squeeze of lime juice.

I love how a bunch of leftovers and a few staples can make an inexpensive tasty meal.

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
bumping to read and reread,lol
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: forever*fluffy
Mojave - Soup

Hi mojave - your soup sounds delish... I am currently new to KNOWING that I have type 2 diabetes & I know that low-carb is the way to go. But, I have also had some trouble with kidney stones. I am told that the kidney stones are caused from too much animal protein - so now what do I do? Has anyone else ever had this problem. A person cannot live by veges alone - thank goodness I love them, but come on... H E L P...
forever*fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #65
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Forever, You can do low carb. Low carb is a High Fat, not a High protein diet. You can get your calories in by eating enough protein, eating low carbs and eating the balance of your calories as fats.

You don't have to live on veg alone, unless you want to.

Plus there are other triggers for kidney stones besides meat consumption, you should become aware of all the things that contribute and work around all of it. For example you could avoid meat, but if your stones are oxalic based, all that spinach salad would do you in pretty quickly. Or calcium stones can be from over consumption of antacids or from IBS.

Sorry to TreadJack!
Forever, why not post your question in the Main Lobby and we'd be more than happy to offer suggestions and direction!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #66
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I have uric acid kidney stones and I actually think they get better when I low carb. It may be simply because I make SURE to drink tons of water, and less alcohol which helps to stay hydrated and flush out any of the excess uric acid. HTH.

Love all the ideas in this thread. What a great idea!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: forever*fluffy
Thanks for the info...

I appreciate the suggestions. I do drink a TON of water. Also, I drink a tea made from Fenugreek seeds that are suppose to help from kidney stones forming at all. Unfortunately, I can't say whether it is helping much, but the tea is rather tasty - sort of mapley - & I add a little xylitol or stevia. As for the diet - it is a real struggle. Blood sugar isn't much better either - I'm sure because of the diet. Does anyone have any input about jicama? My new found love - lol???
forever*fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #68
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Forever, how much protein did your doc give you as a daily allowance?

I have trouble digesting too much protein these days because of a liver injury. I stick to 60-80g of protein most days. It's very easy.

I eat TONS of veggies - especially greens and salad greens and cruciferous veggie family along with lots of onion and garlic.

I eat moderately high fat - 40-60% fat.

I'm doing well, blood sugar is well controlled, losing weight and having no probs with protein.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kali88
Stats: 277/225/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 06/29/12
So glad I found this thread! Hubby and I are both working, but we've had some unexpected expenses this summer, and money has been tight. It doesn't help that we have 3 teen-agers in the house that are always hungry and I'm the only one LCing. I never thought to check out Dollar Tree for my veggies or Spam, etc. Will hit them up this weekend. Also will try to hit up the grocery store for day after Labor Day meat sales!
Kali88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Be sure and compare the sizes at dollar tree to your regular grocery stores. Not all food things are a great bargain there. Some things don't matter that much, but others do.
If you have a 99cent store, the produce is usually not bad.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Have to share

Last week I went to my local Stater Brother's. super market on
the day that the ad broke. While I was getting my boneless
chuck roast ground, I looked into other bins. Found FRESH turkey
backs (big ones) and turkey necks (BIG) so cheap I brought a
bunch home. They fell into my large pressure cooker and became the
best, richest, tastiest turkey broth of all time. It's in the freezer
and will become something very good, very soon for about $4 bucks.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote