Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
every body on a fixed income should read this.
here is a big BUMP.
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
These days I think cabbage is about the most economical vegetable in the entire produce section. It’s delicious with very little else added. Another thing this thread brought to mind is that our local Salvation Army accepts venison from locals including game wardens who discover ill gotten meat. I wonder if there’d be a source for game meat for these individuals? Bless you for helping these folks.
MarcyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
I suggest growing and preserving one's own food. It's just wiser in the first place regardless of the economy, but certainly very helpful in hard times.

It also helps to have a hunter in the household where it is possible to hunt, and the family eats meat. The same goes where it is worth buying a fishing license.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
Alot of times the drugstores have tuna on sale for 99 cents like Walgreen's and CVS. I have stocked up and that is a big help when money is tight. Eggs are good to buy too, I make alot of omelettes. I might start making boiled eggs too and eggsalad.
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy2aCutie
8.00 a head for cauliflower??! Really! I'm sorry---I am seriously shocked. I have never seen cauliflower for over 3.00 a head here....didn't realize how lucky we are.
Mommy2aCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Frozen cauliflower works just as well in most recipes that cook it - and you can generally find it for $1/bag frozen at walmart
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I have found the Jennie-O turkey hams to be relatively economical - its about 6 bucks for a large one (3-4 lbs of meat - no bone).... and I can use it to flavor a variety of vegetables (ie green beans), soups (cabbage soup or minestrone), quiches, and mix into scrambled eggs or omelettes.

They also sell boxes of bacon ends that are much cheaper than sliced, packaged bacon for flavoring things
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: charlielou
Stats: 339/234/160 restart March 2010 293/260.5/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: sept 2005 restart march 20, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2aCutie View Post
8.00 a head for cauliflower??! Really! I'm sorry---I am seriously shocked. I have never seen cauliflower for over 3.00 a head here....didn't realize how lucky we are.
It is usually sold by the pound in our supermarkets so I buy it when it goes on sale by the head. I have personally never paid $8 a head but I'm sure I could. I do remember about 10 yrs ago I was having a fancy dinner and nearly fainted when Romaine was $5/head. We had a $3 honeydew melon as the first course.
charlielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jpeaceokc
Stats: 245/240/180-ish
WOE: Carbohydrate restriction
Start Date: February 2013
Making your own stock

One thing I do that saves money is make my own beef and chicken stock. This tastes so much better than canned broth or broth made from boullion cubes. It's simple and cheap to make. I save any cuttings or trimmings from beef, bones from roasts, and ask for soup bones at the meat market. Actually, I often ask for dog bones as they are usually even cheaper than soup bones, but the main difference I can tell is that maybe the dog bones are bigger. I roast the soup bones and any uncooking trimmings until they are a nice brown color -- don't let them burn or turn black.

Then I simmer them in water for 12 to 18 hours for beef stock (chicken stock I usually do for about six hours or so. I used to add celery, carrots, and onions to my stock, but I am not sure about the carrots and onions now that I have started low carbing (I don't know if the carbs come out into the stock or just the flavor).

When I simmer, I never stir the pot. I do skim any scum that rises up. I refrigerate it overnight and then take the fat off the top the next day, and use the tallow in a recipe, while freezing the stock for use later.

Since stock making is a bit of a job, I make a large quantity and freeze it in 2 cup portions.

An instant soup is thus never far from my table -- beef broth plus some leftover cooked veggies, voila, veggie soup. It also makes the best tasting sauces and gravies.
jpeaceokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jpeaceokc
Stats: 245/240/180-ish
WOE: Carbohydrate restriction
Start Date: February 2013
PS. Here's an article I wrote for a publication that was handed out for free to low income people, with more details about making stock.

http://www.bettertimesinfo.org/4stock.htm

And for an even more detailed look at stock-making, with pictures, here is an online "course" for the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts and Sciences -- Stocks and Sauces Class - Unit 1 Day1 - eG Forums .
jpeaceokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mistyjo1
Stats: 226/185/140
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: march 31/1010
Miboje, you are so lucky to grow your own food in the garden..... I live on the 18th floor of an apartment building in a city of 8 million kind of hard to do that......
mistyjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:38 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
check out the local farmers markets. You can get really good deals on locally grown produce (usually with no pesticides)and then freeze what you can't use right away.
It's a lot tougher to find bargains when you live in a big city.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cynthiab_77504
unemployed long time single low carb poor

While I agree that the food in the food pantries they give me is mostly carbs, I decided to use this time to experiment. I am single and do not have children to feed.
Started by eating out of the can and the dollar store. Whew! no good my tummy was very unhappy. Ok, so next I built my meals off of chicken and ground meat. Hmmmm....wasn't losing any weight and my lab work was BAD.
Today everything is fresh. I buy what is on special this week. I live right on the bay ( ok the rich people live ON the bay. I live two blocks away) so I purchase fresh shrimp and catfish and keep the canned tuna. Wow! Boneless catfish fillets are $4.00 a lb. That produces 3 -5.3 oz. meals for $1.33 each. Jumbo headless shrimp are more, 6 count for $3.00. I have learned to cook fish/shrimp endless ways! My labwork is perfect for the first tme in years. For me it is very cheap to eat fresh. I now bicycle to the fish market with my reusable grocery bag. I feel SO green.
Tonight, I will have fresh mustard greens $.78, catfish $1.33( with hot sauce), fresh berries, $.44, and peach iced tea. (Remember I am in Texas as you gag about the mustard greens)
What a great chat/blog! So glad I found you.
cynthiab_77504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Sounds great!

and to LCF
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #45
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Welcome Cynthiab

I shop the perimeter of the store. My purchases are almost all weekly specials. I buy in bulk all I can. I purchase sale meats and repack for the freezer.

It's tough if you need to rely on a food pantry, try explaining you situation maybe they could find you some more acceptable items.

My hubby and I debate the fact that my way of eating is more expensive than a typical diet but I know I spend much less because I don't purchase any prepared foods. Most things are one ingredient.

cream
eggs
unsalted butter
cheese
fresh veggies
fresh meat, poultry, fish, tofu
nuts and seeds

RIP Daisy Dog 1/26/1997 - 7/11/2012

Not every person knows how to love a dog, but every dog knows how to love a person.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
Fresh fish and shrimp! Oh my, that sounds good. I second the cabbage idea. We eat coleslaw several times a week instead of salad. Many ways to make it. Sometimes we like it simple, grated, with mayo and lemon juice or cider vinegar, a packet of stevia and ground black pepper. Sometimes I make it with red and green cabbage . It's good with minced cilantro and a minced jalapeno pepper. My grandma made "pepper cabbage", sauteed thinly sliced onions and cabbage with lots of black pepper. The story was she dropped the box of pepper in the pan and a LOT of pepper got in the cabbage. Everyone loved it and Pepper Cabbage was born.I also shop the local farmers market for produce bargains. And home made soup stock is wonderful.

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TxHomeGirl
WOE: Lower Carb
Love this thread. Not just for low income - great ideas for everyone who needs to cut back a little. Keep the ideas coming.
TxHomeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CarbCraver029638
Stats: 150/150/130
Great posts here. I just joined today. I am not officially diagnosed and I am of course planning a trip to the physician to discuss my health and set up tests, etc.; but I suspect I am type II because I have numbness in my toes on right foot for about 3 years (mostly when I'm out doors walking in the wintertime); and lately I have the burning sensation in my right foot/toes mostly at night. I suspect diabetic peripheral neuropathy. There is diminished hair growth on parts of my legs, ankles, and toes (might also be peripheral artery/vascular disease?). And I am one of the poor lol. I have been having tea and toast (for the most part) for breakfast just about every day since childhood (though since 1986 it's been whole wheat instead of white). Lately it's really been hitting home about the feet though, and I'm scared to death (I have a small pinkish "sore" (for approximately 4-6 months) on the middle toe of my right foot which does not go away) worrying about the future possibility of amputation. I live in an environment highly stressful to myself as I am extremely noise sensitive to loud stereos and slamming doors. I'm on the list for low income housing (apartment), but being under 50 slightly lol, my name is probably way down on the list, unfortunately. I also suffer from depression and anxiety. Well I suppose I should have put this in another thread, but when I start typing, I just get on a roll - lol.
CarbCraver029638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CarbCraver029638
Stats: 150/150/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
Fresh fish and shrimp! Oh my, that sounds good. I second the cabbage idea. We eat coleslaw several times a week instead of salad. Many ways to make it. Sometimes we like it simple, grated, with mayo and lemon juice or cider vinegar, a packet of stevia and ground black pepper. Sometimes I make it with red and green cabbage . It's good with minced cilantro and a minced jalapeno pepper. My grandma made "pepper cabbage", sauteed thinly sliced onions and cabbage with lots of black pepper. The story was she dropped the box of pepper in the pan and a LOT of pepper got in the cabbage. Everyone loved it and Pepper Cabbage was born.I also shop the local farmers market for produce bargains. And home made soup stock is wonderful.

Dee
same here I love coleslaw. You know, I remember when I was about 7 years old, I used to call it "cold-slaw" lol haha. And I love fish, chicken, beef, etc. with lots of onions and garlic - yum!
CarbCraver029638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
Hi CarbCraver, thinking of you today. Are you eating low carb? I think it could help your anxiety and depression. I hope you get a good medical work up soon. In the meantime, have some eggs for breakfast with your tea. And hold the toast.

There is so much great information here. Support too. Glad to have you aboard!
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Hi Carbcarver Welcome. Hang in there young lady . You have come to the right place.You can eat the best food on low carb. There are plenty of people here to help you.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Hello and welcom

I have the neuropathy and am type 2....
Fear not, you are in the right place.

Sugar, flour, grains are worst enemy ever!

Believe me you can eat so well on LC even when you are
on a food budget. The beautiful combinations of veggies and
ground meats, I even love to grind my own chicken and make
patties with a bit of green Ortega chili and 1/2 oz. cheese.
Whole chic is cheep on sale. Managers mark downs on beef,
get there in the morning about 11. I got my 85 % lean ground
beef yesterday for $1.49 lb. Quiche, fritatas, soups, and as
mentioned eggs. We have what we call "chicken parties".
Whole body chickens on sale for .69 lb. or whatever the going
cheap prices is. We buy 4-5 and cut them up ourselves.
Packaging breasts, thighs, drums, backs for soups, wings.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Hello and welcome

I have the neuropathy and am type 2....
Fear not, you are in the right place.

Sugar, flour, grains are worst enemy ever!

Believe me you can eat so well on LC even when you are
on a food budget. The beautiful combinations of veggies and
ground meats, I even love to grind my own chicken and make
patties with a bit of green Ortega chili and 1/2 oz. cheese.
Whole chic is cheep on sale. Managers mark downs on beef,
get there in the morning about 11. I got my 85 % lean ground
beef yesterday for $1.49 lb. Quiche, fritatas, soups, and as
mentioned eggs. We have what we call "chicken parties".
Whole body chickens on sale for .69 lb. or whatever the going
cheap prices is. We buy 4-5 and cut them up ourselves.
Packaging breasts, thighs, drums, backs for soups, wings.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #54
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Wanted to mention the Dollar Tree store for those who have them. Everything's a buck, and they have quite a bit I can use there. I have been buying tuna pouches by the cases, Chicken of The Sea brand, packed in water, and it's the best tuna ever!

One of my Dollar Tree's has a frozen food section, and they have bags of frozen veggies, so I've been stocking up on those as well. Cauli, broccoli, and mixed veggies. They also have frozen meat balls for a quick meal in a pinch, they have cheese, sour cream, and other dairy as well. I also get my pork rinds there, Turkey Creek brand, I buy 8-10 bags at a time.

So say you buy 7 packs of tuna, 1 jar mayo (they have every condiment you could need there also), and 4 bags of pork rinds (1/2 bag each meal), you have lunch for $12+tax (8.25% here in TX)=12.99 total. That comes out to $1.85 per meal. Tuna plus mayo and scoop with pork rinds. I usually add jalapeno's to it as well.

Last edited by MsWoods; 05-16-2011 at 07:54 AM..
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreeza
A casserole can be made from a can of Spam, Chicken mushroom soup , one half can of low carb milk (thread here) and add whatever veggies you have. Not bad
dreeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreeza
I forgot to add Netrition sells peanut flour . :You can make your own peanut butter much cheaper and twice as healthy
dreeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #57
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreeza View Post
A casserole can be made from a can of Spam, Chicken mushroom soup , one half can of low carb milk (thread here) and add whatever veggies you have. Not bad
Forgot to say Dollar Tree sells packets of Spam as well, I'm just not a Spam girl myself
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Sure glad I found this very helpful page,thanks
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Love this thread!!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Off My Duff
Stats: 297/277/197
Bumping and marking--great ideas on this thread!
Off My Duff is offline   Reply With Quote