Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
How to make the perfect boiled egg…

The eggs in the picture below were laid this morning!!!!

I have tried over the years to boil eggs and it seemed the impossible task…especially if you have very fresh eggs. The eggs in the grocery store are typically about a month old when they reach the grocery store and they are still hard to peal…so you can imagine how impossible a freshly laid boiled egg would be.

Thanks to the husband of a friend I now have the formula for the perfect boiled egg.

Get the water boiling first - rapid boil. Add a teaspoon of salt then gently lower the ROOM TEMPERATURE eggs in with a ladle. 14 minutes later drain and run cold water over the eggs so they are cool enough to handle…add enough water and ice to just cover the eggs and let the eggs sit and chill for about 4 or 5 minutes… Peel.

The eggs practically roll out of the shell. I have almost intact shells. Sooo easy.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Mackenzie
WOE: Lower Carb
Start Date: Restart 9/13/05
I'll have to try this tip! Thanks for posting it.....
Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
I'll have to try it, too. Thanks for sharing.

Sometimes, my hb eggs look like the ones in your pic, but other times, they look like I tried to use a grater to remove the shells.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coconutmilk
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2007
I have good luck with supermarket eggs by bringing eggs to a boil, cutting off the heat covering and letting set for 20 mins. Then drain, run cool water over and roll against the counter. I add a splash of vinegar and salt to the boiling water. But your so right about the peeling better when the eggs are at room temperature. I will have to give your method a try on fresher eggs. I try to only boil my oldest eggs but it would be so nice to be able to get good results from fresher eggs.
Thanks for sharing.
Vikki
coconutmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
I got a WestBend Egg Cooker from AceHardware on-line as a Christmas present for myself. I love it. It makes a perfect egg everytime and no green on the yokes. Considering I used to boil eggs until the water went dry (my way of knowing they were done) I needed it!
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KlingonBabe
Stats: Miserable/Sane/FABULOUS
The perfect hard boiled eggs come out of a bag from Trader Joe's. They are so good, the yolk doesn't even turn green when making scotch eggs.
KlingonBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:21 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
My friend was boiling eggs and forgot them. They exploded all over the place, including the ceiling.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:51 AM   #8

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
My yolks turn green this way. I bring them to a boil, turn off heat, cover and let sit for 17 minutes. Perfect every time. The American Egg Board also promotes this way of cooking.

http://www.incredibleegg.org/index_v...ID=133&offset=
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:17 AM   #9

Gallery: SweetPoison2
Stats: 246/232/180
WOE: DASH Diet & HHCG
Start Date: June 09
So ~ okay bear with me ~ we are talking about hard boiled eggs here, right?

Lisa ~
you bring to boil, then turn off heat and cover for 17 min...?
SweetPoison2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPoison2 View Post
So ~ okay bear with me ~ we are talking about hard boiled eggs here, right?

Lisa ~
you bring to boil, then turn off heat and cover for 17 min...?
Yup.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:24 AM   #11

Gallery: SweetPoison2
Stats: 246/232/180
WOE: DASH Diet & HHCG
Start Date: June 09
Well, I'm doin it. I hate bring water to boil, adding eggs, boiling 10 min, annoying!

Thanks!!
SweetPoison2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Boy do those eggs look good!!!!
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:41 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmilk View Post
I have good luck with supermarket eggs by bringing eggs to a boil, cutting off the heat covering and letting set for 20 mins. Then drain, run cool water over and roll against the counter. I add a splash of vinegar and salt to the boiling water. But your so right about the peeling better when the eggs are at room temperature. I will have to give your method a try on fresher eggs. I try to only boil my oldest eggs but it would be so nice to be able to get good results from fresher eggs.
Thanks for sharing.
Vikki
It is industry standard for eggs to sit in a holding area for 30 days before being shipped to the store. Being able to stockpile the eggs 30 days in advance of shipping they are able to make adjustments in their shipping to keep the supply of eggs available to all the markets that are being served at an one given time.

When you understand that the eggs you buy in the store are already 30 days old when you get them... and they are still too fresh to peel if you boil them... you begin to understand just how amazing this way of cooking a boiled egg is for someone who has day old eggs to deal with.

In the past the only way I could make boiled eggs was to mark my eggs (so nobody would use them) and leave them sitting out on the kitchen counter for at least a week...a week and a half would be better. Imagine having to plan a week in advance if you are going to make a boiled egg.

Now I can make boiled eggs anytime I want them. I know you probably think I'm nuts for getting so excited about this but peeling boiled eggs...even the ones that sat on the counter for a week...was no easy task for me.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pinot
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
Get the water boiling first - rapid boil. Add a teaspoon of salt then gently lower the ROOM TEMPERATURE eggs in with a ladle. 14 minutes later drain and run cold water over the eggs so they are cool enough to handle…add enough water and ice to just cover the eggs and let the eggs sit and chill for about 4 or 5 minutes… Peel.
I pretty much do my HB eggs this very same way, except I drain them and immediately place them in the ice water, but only until they're cool enough to handle, maybe a minute or so. I also roll them on the counter just a bit to loosen 'em up. Can't say it's foolproof but more often than not my eggs come out looking like yours in the picture.

Speaking of which, that picture is making me hungry!
Pinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
My friend was boiling eggs and forgot them. They exploded all over the place, including the ceiling.

Oh yeah... been there done that....
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
My yolks turn green this way. I bring them to a boil, turn off heat, cover and let sit for 17 minutes. Perfect every time. The American Egg Board also promotes this way of cooking.

http://www.incredibleegg.org/index_v...ID=133&offset=
That's the way I cook mine, too, but I certainly can't say they're perfect every time. I even use older eggs, and they're still sometimes very difficult to peel.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal View Post
That's the way I cook mine, too, but I certainly can't say they're perfect every time. I even use older eggs, and they're still sometimes very difficult to peel.
Prolly cause I eat em too fast to notice! I luv warm boiled eggs! :blush:
Old 01-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TxHomeGirl
WOE: Lower Carb
I have an electric egg cooker as well and my eggs always come out perfect. I could never get them right when I tried boiling them on my own. They were either way overcooked or undercooked (yuk!). Also, thanks Chicken Lady for the info about the eggs. I had no idea that the eggs I buy at the store are already 30 days old !
TxHomeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gud life
Stats: 221/178.5/150
WOE: Charles Washingtons Way
Start Date: Feb 2008
Thank you!!!

We're gonna try this with our next batch.

It's so frustrating whe half your egg ends up attached to the shell!
gud life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Quote:
Originally Posted by gud life View Post
Thank you!!!

We're gonna try this with our next batch.

It's so frustrating whe half your egg ends up attached to the shell!
Ditto! I'm going to try these tips to hard boil a batch, hopefully without yucky colored yolks this time. Great thread!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DEEDLYNN
If you are a kitchen gadget junkie....Like I am. The Cuisanart Egg Cooker is a wonderful low carb tool. It hard boils 7 eggs or poaches 3 eggs at a time. And times in perfectly based on the amount of water (per the measuring cup included) that you use.

I can put the eggs on when I get in the shower in the morning and by the time I'm done....perfectly HBoiled or poached eggs.

When I first saw this gadget I thought....there is no way that I can justify buying a gadget to boil eggs. But let me tell you...I have never...not for one minute regretted this purchase....and it takes up very little space.
DEEDLYNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coconutmilk
Oh no, I don't think your nuts at all. I hate peeling eggs so anything that would make them easier is something to get excited about.

I knew store bought eggs were older but I had no idea they were that old. Yikes.
I miss fresh eggs. The difference is indescribable as you well know. It's like two different foods...giggle

I need to boil some more soon so I'll try your technique.

Thanks,
Vikki
coconutmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: BarbDe
Stats: Quit smoking 11/4/07; 16/10/10 on 11/30/12
WOE: Low carb/Paleo/& Crossfit!
Start Date: August 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEDLYNN View Post
If you are a kitchen gadget junkie....Like I am. The Cuisanart Egg Cooker is a wonderful low carb tool. It hard boils 7 eggs or poaches 3 eggs at a time. And times in perfectly based on the amount of water (per the measuring cup included) that you use.

I can put the eggs on when I get in the shower in the morning and by the time I'm done....perfectly HBoiled or poached eggs.

When I first saw this gadget I thought....there is no way that I can justify buying a gadget to boil eggs. But let me tell you...I have never...not for one minute regretted this purchase....and it takes up very little space.
I 2nd that vote!
I got one as a gift. A gag gift at that. It's wonderful!
(I swear it's all got to do with that egg piercer)
BarbDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Y'all let me know how well it works for you...I would have never in a million years thought of putting an egg into already boiling water...I was very surprised when the eggs didn't pop open and I was doubly surprised when the shells came off so easily.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kta73
The key to getting them to "pop out of their shells" is the ice water bath. When the eggs cook, the heat cause the shell and white/yolk to expand. The ice water bath causes an almost "flash" cooling effect which cause the egg to contract, but the white/yolk contracts much quicker than the shell, causing it to pull away from the sides.

The same process in reverse (dropping a raw egg into boiling water), often causes the eggs to crack and the egg whites to seep out. The white/yolk expands faster than the shell, exerting outward pressure that breaks the egg. Ever since I started putting the eggs in the water BEFORE bringing to a boil (as others have mentioned in this thread), I haven't had anymore broken eggs.

Many recipes call for salt and/or vinegar to adjust the boiling point of the water and the strength of the shell, or as the OP stated, raising the eggs to room temperature first. No offense to anyone using these methods, since they do work, but I'm a lazy bastage, and dropping the cheapest store bought eggs into the cold water before turning the stove on as worked every time.

Just thought I'd throw in my .02 about why/how the different processes work.
kta73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DEEDLYNN
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbDe View Post
I 2nd that vote!
I got one as a gift. A gag gift at that. It's wonderful!
(I swear it's all got to do with that egg piercer)
I think it's the piercer too.....LOL. But isn't it funny...I bet this didn't go down in Cuisinart's best seller list....but I will be sad when my dies...if I can't find another one. Glad to see that one other soul out there enjoys this.....because I know everyone else thinks I'm crazy!!!! LOL.
DEEDLYNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
Well, Chicken Lady I used your method on 18 eggs last night and they all came out beautiful, just like your picture. How great is that? Thank you so much for the tip. I used to poke a hole in the large end and it worked pretty good, but not like this. Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
Well, Chicken Lady I used your method on 18 eggs last night and they all came out beautiful, just like your picture. How great is that? Thank you so much for the tip. I used to poke a hole in the large end and it worked pretty good, but not like this. Ann
I'm so happy you tried it....I know it's a little nuts to be so excited about peeling an egg but I can't tell you how frustrating it is when I have these wonderful, home grown, free range eggs and I couldn't make a decent deviled egg to save my life. Happily those days are over forever!

Last edited by The Chicken Lady; 01-04-2009 at 02:31 PM..
Old 01-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: BarbDe
Stats: Quit smoking 11/4/07; 16/10/10 on 11/30/12
WOE: Low carb/Paleo/& Crossfit!
Start Date: August 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEDLYNN View Post
I think it's the piercer too.....LOL. But isn't it funny...I bet this didn't go down in Cuisinart's best seller list....but I will be sad when my dies...if I can't find another one. Glad to see that one other soul out there enjoys this.....because I know everyone else thinks I'm crazy!!!! LOL.

I saw them at Target, I think. Or somewhere. I know I googled it and they are still out there. Matter of fact, I want to pick up one for my DD. And get me a backup! LOL.
BarbDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
Then I must be nuts too, I'm totally impressed. I used to hate doing deviled eggs, not anymore, I've sent your directions to everyone I know that's on the internet. Thanks again Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote