Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #61
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Here's a 1 minute video from Tim Ferris that tells how he cooks hard boiled eggs, but more so, he actually shows you HOW TO PEEL AN EGG WITHOUT PEELING IT
Gotta see this!

YouTube - Timothy Ferriss - How to Peel Hard-boiled Eggs w/o Peeling

Be sure to blow through the smaller end so the egg comes out the bigger end...
lol, my kids and I did this today! It's so funny!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annaserv
Stats: 177/149/132
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/23/03
You have guineas! Those are so on my spring wish list. Either some more different colored cochins or guineas. (along with maybe a dozen of those big boring cornish crosses -that just lay and eat) I haven't done chicks for quite a few years until this spring, when I realized I had a extra coop. (long story, but we were suppose to sell our place that's a half a mile from the farm and live down there. Moved the chickens down there but we didn't move yet) When it started to get really cold I combined the flocks, so I have one less place to kept the water thawed and pick eggs before they freeze. Wow, I still don't know how I got anything done last summer, playing with the little chicks all the time. They are so addictive.

My pickled egg recipe is sort of winging it, but based loosely on a bread and butter pickle brine. I'm sort of guessing at ingredient amounts here.

1 Cup vinegar
1/2 to 1 cup sugar substitute ( I use splenda packets and stevia)
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp tumeric
1tsp salt
(you can also add some pepper and onions)

fill one quart jar with peeled eggs (about a dozen)
Heat brine not quite to boiling, allow to cool to room temp (I use the microwave)
pour over eggs in jar, cover and refrigerate. Tastes better the longer it's refrigerated, maybe start testing it after one week.

if the brine dosen't completely cover the eggs just add a bit more vinegar till it does. The tumeric make them a pretty yellow color.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaserv View Post
You have guineas! Those are so on my spring wish list. Either some more different colored cochins or guineas. (along with maybe a dozen of those big boring cornish crosses -that just lay and eat) I haven't done chicks for quite a few years until this spring, when I realized I had a extra coop. (long story, but we were suppose to sell our place that's a half a mile from the farm and live down there. Moved the chickens down there but we didn't move yet) When it started to get really cold I combined the flocks, so I have one less place to kept the water thawed and pick eggs before they freeze. Wow, I still don't know how I got anything done last summer, playing with the little chicks all the time. They are so addictive.

My pickled egg recipe is sort of winging it, but based loosely on a bread and butter pickle brine. I'm sort of guessing at ingredient amounts here.

1 Cup vinegar
1/2 to 1 cup sugar substitute ( I use splenda packets and stevia)
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp tumeric
1tsp salt
(you can also add some pepper and onions)

fill one quart jar with peeled eggs (about a dozen)
Heat brine not quite to boiling, allow to cool to room temp (I use the microwave)
pour over eggs in jar, cover and refrigerate. Tastes better the longer it's refrigerated, maybe start testing it after one week.

if the brine dosen't completely cover the eggs just add a bit more vinegar till it does. The tumeric make them a pretty yellow color.
A word of warning before you get guineas...they make a lot of noise so if you are going to have some, make sure you put them in a place where the noise is not going to bother you.

They won't lay the first year you have them...they will start laying the second year...if you want to raise the chicks you will have to take the eggs away from the guinea hens and put them under one of your broodies and let her raise them or an incubator and raise them yourself. I don't know how guineas have survived as a species...they are horrible parents!!! The meat is out of this world!!!!

Another word of warning...most hatcheries don't sex guineas so you will get what you get...a mixture of hens and cockerels...when the cockerels start to hit puberty if you don't have any roosters to protect your hens the guinea cockerels will go after your hens and breed them. The eggs will be fertile and will hatch if a hen sits on them... but the mixed chicks are the ugliest things you have ever seen in your life. They look like a science experiment gone terribly wrong.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Tried this tonight, the eggs that survived peeled wonderfully well and had beautiful yellow yolks. However out of 9 eggs, 2 of them exploded the minute they hit the boiling water (ok, well, not exploded but cracked a LOT and leeked whites and yolks everywhere). I left my eggs on the counter for 10 hours before putting them in the boiling water so i'm sure they were at room temperature, any tips on getting them to not crack like that? Does the water have to be boiling before you put the eggs in or is it really the ice bath that helps with the peeling?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:53 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Try putting in a splash of vinegar(?2-4 Tbsps) in the water that's boiling, to keep the exploding eggs from getting their whites all over in the boiling water. I read that somewhere a while back and always do that now. I think the room temperature eggs need to go in the boiling water, that's the only thing different I did with my fresh eggs and they did peel great. I always use to drain them and dump ice in the pot to stop the cooking process, sometimes still had some tricky eggs to peel.

Hee, hee, Chicken Lady, We had guineas growing up on the farm. Everybody hated them except me. They use to sleep in the apple trees below my bedroom window and made a sort of soft (for a guinea) noise all night long. The only way we got a decent flock going was by taking the eggs and putting them under a broody hen. The hen use to get pretty upset when the little one started perching way up in the rafters at night. I remember finding abandon nests with 50 - 60 eggs in the tall grass. Takes them a year to lay, wow I don't remember that. My biggest downside of getting them would be the darn hawks and eagles. My chickens can only go out in the evening when I'm around or when I'm going to be working in the yard. Over the past few years I had a couple hawk attacks just a few feet in front of the coup door. I know they don't like confinement. Maybe I can get them to tolerate it,or maybe I'll open the door for them one evening and they'll ditch the coup and never look back and over time I'll just find piles of feathers.
annaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

ew, I did see pictures of a guinea chicken cross online. That's just not right!
annaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 AM   #67
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
Quote:
ew, I did see pictures of a guinea chicken cross online. That's just not right!

Google image search.... sometimes a blessing, sometimes a curse.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
Tried this tonight, the eggs that survived peeled wonderfully well and had beautiful yellow yolks. However out of 9 eggs, 2 of them exploded the minute they hit the boiling water (ok, well, not exploded but cracked a LOT and leeked whites and yolks everywhere). I left my eggs on the counter for 10 hours before putting them in the boiling water so i'm sure they were at room temperature, any tips on getting them to not crack like that? Does the water have to be boiling before you put the eggs in or is it really the ice bath that helps with the peeling?
You can try the vinegar as annaserv suggests but I'm not sure what to tell you...I've never had that happen and no one else who has tried this has reported this happening. My first impulse would be to buy eggs of a different brand...it sounds to me like the eggs your getting must have very thin shells.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My biggest downside of getting them would be the darn hawks and eagles. My chickens can only go out in the evening when I'm around or when I'm going to be working in the yard. Over the past few years I had a couple hawk attacks just a few feet in front of the coup door. I know they don't like confinement. Maybe I can get them to tolerate it,or maybe I'll open the door for them one evening and they'll ditch the coup and never look back and over time I'll just find piles of feathers.
We have a lot of hawks here as well...in fact we have so many you see them run over on the road...I've never seen a hawk go after a guinea but they will go after my chickens.

We give the chickens plenty of cover...there are two sheds up off the ground that they can run under, an old jeep parked near the coop, and several large shrubs.

Then there are the roosters...they will fight to protect the hens...the black rooster is the dominate one and will attack a hawk that tries to get one of his hens or chicks....while the red rooster gathers the hens under one of the shelters and then stands in front of it as a guard to keep a hawk from attacking on the ground. When I was growing up on my grandparents farm I once saw a rooster purposefully sacrifice himself to give the hens and chicks time to escape a coyote.

I have seen several attacks this year while I was outside working in my garden and between the two roosters I haven't lost a hen yet. The black rooster had a very serious fight with a hawk a couple of months ago and limped for almost a month but he's ok now. In my opinion a good rooster is worth his weight in gold.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BackcountryBabe
Stats: 235/225/160
Start Date: 7/13/09
I am SO glad i was directed to this thread! I followed your instructions ChickenLady to a tee! And the eggs came out perfect! I too am a chicken owner and have just started experiencing the joys of eggs. I want to have a box of deviled eggs on hand for snacks and got so frustrated with the peeling of fresh eggs that i almost gave up. Never had trouble with store bought eggs of course :P

Yolks are bright yellow with no green and perfect texture! Yippee!!
BackcountryBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
My friend was boiling eggs and forgot them. They exploded all over the place, including the ceiling.
Sorry, I know this is a really old post, but was just reading it. Had to say.......
You know my sister?

That's not to say I haven't boiled lots of things dry myself.
I've probably tried nearly (tho not all I'm sure) method out there for boiling eggs. I've used old eggs, fresh eggs, and as I said lots of different methods. I've found some that work most of the time, but I've never used a method that worked EVERY time. Even in the same pan of eggs, sometimes some peel perfectly, and some just don't want to budge. My sister swears they should be fresh. I say they do better if they are older.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I have very fresh farm eggs and finally decided to try Chicken Lady's method. WOW, that's all I can say. Absolutely perfect yolk, no discoloration and cooked just perfectly. The eggs almost peeled themselves. Thanks for sharing your technique, I'll be using this method from now on!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I have very fresh farm eggs and finally decided to try Chicken Lady's method. WOW, that's all I can say. Absolutely perfect yolk, no discoloration and cooked just perfectly. The eggs almost peeled themselves. Thanks for sharing your technique, I'll be using this method from now on!
It does work like a dream doesn't it? I wish I could take credit for coming up with this but it was given to me by the DH of a close friend.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #74
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Is there anyway to do perfect boiled eggs that do NOT involve Ice Water?

I don't have Ice, I don't keep ice, I don't even have Ice trays. I never use ice for anything, so it is hard for me to make a bowl full of ice just for eggs. I"d have to go and make ice the day before each time just to make good boiled eggs?

If it's impossible, thencan someone give me a formula for great soft boiled egg where the yolk is just set but the white is, . . . well cooked white but soft and not solidified.

Like this photo: I made these by accident trying to make hard boiled eggs, but have been unable to reproduce it. I had boiled water and put 6 room temp eggs in a fry basket and lowered it into the water, turned the heat off. I forgot about them for two hours and the water had cooled so I put them in the fridge. This is what I got. I loved it LOVED it and want to make it again, but end up with hard boiled. What part should I repeat to make perfect soft boiled?

ETA: The yolk is runny too on the inside, but holds itself together. like soft pudding consistency.

"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 12-19-2009 at 05:06 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
It does work like a dream doesn't it? I wish I could take credit for coming up with this but it was given to me by the DH of a close friend.
I thank you for posting it!

Metqa: the only thing I can think of that is kind of like that is a coddled egg.

Last edited by BikerAng; 12-19-2009 at 10:53 PM..
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Just tried this yesterday and following the directions. Did not peel eggs (2 of a dozen) for four hours or so and they still peeled perfectly...no more ratty looking pickled eggs for Easter. Thank you Chicken Lady.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IzzyTheTerrible
Stats: 290/269/150
WOE: Listening to my body
Start Date: Every day is a new day. :)
Quote:

Now I can make boiled eggs anytime I want them. I know you probably think I'm nuts for getting so excited about this but peeling boiled eggs...even the ones that sat on the counter for a week...was no easy task for me.
Ok, first of all - jealous that you have fresh eggs. I bet they taste delicious!!!

Second, I'm just as excited... I actually have a carton of eggs in the fridge right now waiting to get old enough. Going to boil them right now to try your method!!!

Ahem.... ok, maybe when they come to room temperature.

Last edited by IzzyTheTerrible; 03-24-2010 at 03:34 PM..
IzzyTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IzzyTheTerrible
Stats: 290/269/150
WOE: Listening to my body
Start Date: Every day is a new day. :)
This is just beyond amazing. Just did this and they came out perfectly! The shells just fall right off!!
IzzyTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jess70
Stats: 18 to 8
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: 2/25/13
This is a great thread for all of us considering Easter is around the corner.
Thanks for posting. I can't wait to try it.
Jess70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SteveKITH
Stats: 415/394/240
Start Date: August 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Is there anyway to do perfect boiled eggs that do NOT involve Ice Water?

I don't have Ice, I don't keep ice, I don't even have Ice trays. I never use ice for anything, so it is hard for me to make a bowl full of ice just for eggs. I"d have to go and make ice the day before each time just to make good boiled eggs?

If it's impossible, thencan someone give me a formula for great soft boiled egg where the yolk is just set but the white is, . . . well cooked white but soft and not solidified.

Like this photo: I made these by accident trying to make hard boiled eggs, but have been unable to reproduce it. I had boiled water and put 6 room temp eggs in a fry basket and lowered it into the water, turned the heat off. I forgot about them for two hours and the water had cooled so I put them in the fridge. This is what I got. I loved it LOVED it and want to make it again, but end up with hard boiled. What part should I repeat to make perfect soft boiled?

ETA: The yolk is runny too on the inside, but holds itself together. like soft pudding consistency.

I think the consistency of the white/yolk is dependent on temperature and time. You might try controlling water temperature or if you have an oven that allows it, bake in the oven (in the shell) at low temperature like 170-180 degrees.
SteveKITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Shimmer
Stats: 245/229/140...22/16/12
Start Date: 10/1/01
Quote:
Get the water boiling first - rapid boil. Add a teaspoon of salt then gently lower the ROOM TEMPERATURE eggs in with a ladle. 14 minutes later drain and run cold water over the eggs so they are cool enough to handle…add enough water and ice to just cover the eggs and let the eggs sit and chill for about 4 or 5 minutes… Peel.

The eggs practically roll out of the shell. I have almost intact shells. Sooo easy.
I started buying farm-fresh eggs and immediately noticed I couldn't peel them without leaving most of the egg in the shell. My deviled eggs are always requested at work potlucks but with these fresh eggs, they looked so bad that I made excuses and took something else. I tried your method tonight and it works! Thanks to you, I got my deviled egg mojo back!!!
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #82
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Miz Grits
Stats: -27.5 and counting
WOE: Hoop Cheese No Poop Diet
Start Date: Time is an illusion
Thank you so much for this! I just had an entire dozen eggs peel perfectly for the first time in AGES!!!
Miz Grits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Bump
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Time to bring this back...works every time even with fresh eggs. Dee
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UtahMama
Stats: 6' tall
WOE: calorie cycling
Start Date: 1/15/98 low carb. 3/12/12 calorie cycling
My new hard boiled egg recipe! Bumping
UtahMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Chicken Lady,
You say 14 minutes, but don't say what to do with the water-keep it boiling? That doesn't seem right, sinceyYou're not supposed to "hard boil" eggs, but "hard cook" them-anyway, that's what I was taught in Girl Scouts....

But if it works, I'll try it....never used to have trouble peeling eggs using my system, which is put eggs in cold water, bring to boil , turn off heat, cover and sit for 12 mintues for large, then plunge in ice water, cracking shells all over. But lately, I have been having awful luck peeling.

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child

Last edited by Scotty; 07-11-2011 at 09:48 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UtahMama
Stats: 6' tall
WOE: calorie cycling
Start Date: 1/15/98 low carb. 3/12/12 calorie cycling
Yes. Keep the water boiling. I also found that leaving the eggs in the ice water at the end for about 6-7 minutes worked well.
UtahMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Thanks for bringing this thread back up - I've been meaning to hunt for it so I could thank Chicken Lady for the great solution to my hard boiled egg dilemma! This method has worked like a charm for me. I stopped making deviled eggs a few years ago simply because I just could not peel them anymore. This method has not failed me! Not only do the eggs peel easily, but the yolks are yellow and beautiful with no more ugly green rings. I too had always done the "cooked" rather than "boiled" method, and it just stopped working for me. Now I'm boiling away like crazy and peeling with ease! Thank you thank you!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

New Guinea babies for this year. We caught the babies and the mom and put them all in the brooder until the babies were 3 weeks old then let them all out. That way the babies are old enough to keep up with mom.

Last edited by The Chicken Lady; 07-12-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Old 07-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #90
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Oh, they're so purty!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote