Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbDe View Post
I saw them at Target, I think. Or somewhere. I know I googled it and they are still out there. Matter of fact, I want to pick up one for my DD. And get me a backup! LOL.
Check out the WestBend brand at AceHardware on-line. I think I paid $25.99 for it and it's $32.00 elsewhere.
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gud life
Stats: 221/178.5/150
WOE: Charles Washingtons Way
Start Date: Feb 2008
My hubby used this method, and we give it 2 thumbs up!!!!
Thanks for the tip!
We were also trying to leave a dozen fresh eggs in the back of the fridge to age them enough--never again
gud life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gud life View Post
My hubby used this method, and we give it 2 thumbs up!!!!
Thanks for the tip!
We were also trying to leave a dozen fresh eggs in the back of the fridge to age them enough--never again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
Then I must be nuts too, I'm totally impressed. I used to hate doing deviled eggs, not anymore, I've sent your directions to everyone I know that's on the internet. Thanks again Ann
What is so funny or maybe not so funny is my friend's husband has known how to do this all along and has never seen the need to share!!!

To him it was no big deal...my friend said he just asked her if she would like a couple of boiled eggs because he was going to fix himself some. She says "sure" thinking "this is going to be good"...they have chickens as well and she can never peel a boiled egg either.

He comes back a little while later with these perfect eggs and she said her eyes just about rolled out of her head! She asked him "HOW DID YOU DO THAT!!!!" and the rest, as they say, is history.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Locarb4me
Stats: 200/182/150
WOE: Low Carbish
Start Date: 6/12/07
You're a genius!!

This works! I am so happy you shared this. Now I no longer dread making HB eggs. Thank you so much.
Locarb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Steph, that baby in your avatar is absolutely precious
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Locarb4me
Stats: 200/182/150
WOE: Low Carbish
Start Date: 6/12/07
Thanks, that is my precious little second GD, Lexie.
Locarb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
Chicken Lady my cousin just wrote back after getting your directions and told me she always does her eggs this way............. sigh. She'd better not show up at the next family reunion................... grin. Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
I tried this last night and IT WORKS!!!! I tried my old method, put in water till water boils, then take off heat for 15 or so minutes. That didn't work, it was a mess to try to take the shells off. So, later that night, I tried your method and what can I say? Perfect eggs. THANK YOU!!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Panda120
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May, 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
The eggs in the picture below were laid this morning!!!!

I have tried over the years to boil eggs and it seemed the impossible task…especially if you have very fresh eggs. The eggs in the grocery store are typically about a month old when they reach the grocery store and they are still hard to peal…so you can imagine how impossible a freshly laid boiled egg would be.

Thanks to the husband of a friend I now have the formula for the perfect boiled egg.

Get the water boiling first - rapid boil. Add a teaspoon of salt then gently lower the ROOM TEMPERATURE eggs in with a ladle. 14 minutes later drain and run cold water over the eggs so they are cool enough to handle…add enough water and ice to just cover the eggs and let the eggs sit and chill for about 4 or 5 minutes… Peel.

The eggs practically roll out of the shell. I have almost intact shells. Sooo easy.

Very timely topic! I was asked to bring deviled eggs for a party on Sunday and was dreading dealing with the "fresh" local eggs from the store. I will definitely try your method, ChickenLady, but I'm not clear on something--do you turn the heat down or off after the eggs have been lowered? cover?
Panda120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:46 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annaserv
Stats: 177/149/132
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/23/03
I need to try this! I have laying hens and can see why your excited about being able to peal fresh eggs. Usually I use the counter top method of aging them first (to make them old, like store eggs, but pealable), with the date I can hard boil them on. To make matters worst my eggs are extra tiny right now from my new young chickens just starting to lay, so I'd have to peal almost a dozen to equal 6 normal eggs.
annaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:00 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: BarbDe
Stats: Quit smoking 11/4/07; 16/10/10 on 11/30/12
WOE: Low carb/Paleo/& Crossfit!
Start Date: August 2004
Boy. I wish I could have chickens. We got through SO many eggs.
BarbDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda120 View Post
Very timely topic! I was asked to bring deviled eggs for a party on Sunday and was dreading dealing with the "fresh" local eggs from the store. I will definitely try your method, ChickenLady, but I'm not clear on something--do you turn the heat down or off after the eggs have been lowered? cover?
Neither...you add the salt...put the eggs in the pot and let them cook for 14 minutes...don't adjust anything.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Boy. I wish I could have chickens. We got through SO many eggs.
You should check your local ordinances...I used to live in town before I retired and moved out to the country. I've had chickens most of my life...the neighborhood kids called me the chicken lady, hence the name. We weren't allowed to have a rooster but we were always allowed a certain number of hens per square foot of backyard space.

We had a cute little coop and a run to keep the chickens safe in case a dog was to get into the backyard it wouldn't be able to get the hens. There are tons of people who raise chickens in town.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaserv View Post
I need to try this! I have laying hens and can see why your excited about being able to peal fresh eggs. Usually I use the counter top method of aging them first (to make them old, like store eggs, but pealable), with the date I can hard boil them on. To make matters worst my eggs are extra tiny right now from my new young chickens just starting to lay, so I'd have to peal almost a dozen to equal 6 normal eggs.
What breeds do you have?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

I'm a Cochin fan, not the top of the line layers, but their so cute with thier big fluffy legs and bodies, and their super mellow. I have 16 young ones, one older one, and 2 older Austrolopes.... everybody has names.

This was taken in the fall and they pretty much have doubled in size and feathers now.
annaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

I have 8 Black Australorp hens and 1 rooster, 8 New Hampshire Red hens and 1 rooster, 8 Buff Braham, 8 Easter Eggers and 1 bantam rooster…he was a homeless tike that I took in…he thinks he’s king of the world.

I plan to add 10 Rhode Island Reds this spring…I have 4 grown children who all like yard eggs and my 32 hens can’t seem to keep up with demand.

They don’t have names…I’m afraid I can’t tell them apart.

Last edited by The Chicken Lady; 01-10-2009 at 03:51 PM..
Old 01-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Panda120
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May, 2000
I tried ChickenLady's hard boiled egg method and it worked like a charm. My thanks to her for posting.
Panda120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crink
Heck with those eggs......I want those chickens!!!

I went into my shed today, where my 1 lonely laying hen was just squeezing out an egg. I need more hens.....I actually have 3 but 2 are being lazy.

Kudos to you for figuring out a way to cook them without another tool!!!
Crink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: BarbDe
Stats: Quit smoking 11/4/07; 16/10/10 on 11/30/12
WOE: Low carb/Paleo/& Crossfit!
Start Date: August 2004
Oh. We are not allowed to have them here.
My neighbor found one on the way home from work and brought it home. (He moved here from farm country) Anyway. I never even knew they had it. But some neighbor saw it in his yard and turned him in to code enforcement. Sigh. There is always ONE neighbor, you know??
BarbDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh. We are not allowed to have them here.
My neighbor found one on the way home from work and brought it home. (He moved here from farm country) Anyway. I never even knew they had it. But some neighbor saw it in his yard and turned him in to code enforcement. Sigh. There is always ONE neighbor, you know??
and what I want to know is how that One Neighbor get around to so many places.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sweet Pea
Stats: 272/205/170 A1C 5.3
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 7-18-10
Here's a 1 minute video from Tim Ferris that tells how he cooks hard boiled eggs, but more so, he actually shows you HOW TO PEEL AN EGG WITHOUT PEELING IT
Gotta see this!

Be sure to blow through the smaller end so the egg comes out the bigger end...

Last edited by Sweet Pea; 01-10-2009 at 08:16 PM..
Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Here's a 1 minute video from Tim Ferris that tells how he cooks hard boiled eggs, but more so, he actually shows you HOW TO PEEL AN EGG WITHOUT PEELING IT
Gotta see this!

YouTube - Timothy Ferriss - How to Peel Hard-boiled Eggs w/o Peeling

One of the down sides of living so far out of town is no high speed internet... I can't watch YouTube on dial-up.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:03 AM   #53
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
Quote:
Gotta see this!

omg is that real?
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:04 AM   #54
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
Oh, and BTW, I tried this today on eggs taht were 5 days old. It worked beautiful. My only change was to add salt to the ice bath (salted water chills things faster than plain water). The eggs practically jumped outta the shells.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Great Chicken pictures. Not really into roosters but those are really pretty roosters. Although every body who knows me chuckles about my blind rooster I kept for over 3 years.

I had Rhode Island Reds before and they are eggs laying machines, along with a good personality. I had some major issues when I mixed the young girls in with the older ones and I had to thin out the older grumpy ones. Luckily we had a friend with a huge chicken coup who took them. Most of them were Buff Orphingtons. The older ones I kept are on vacation for the winter, by spring time everyone should be laying full force.

I took out just 6 fresh eggs to try this out on, just in case. Wow, it worked great! I like to keep a few jars of pickled eggs in the refrigerator, now I can stock up again. My husband like those in his lunch box and their handy to quick chop up for salads.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

I added some guineas to my flock last spring along with 8 packing peanut roos that came with the order for warmth...they went into the freezer when they got old enough...I didn't have any problem with the addition.

I put the brooder in the hen house and kept it tightly closed of course. My brooder is a wooden frame with chicken wire all around it with a solid wooden top. I have my heat lamp in it and cover it with a small tarp at night. Once the chicks got feathered out good... probably about 12 weeks I took the lid off the brooder during the day and replaced it at night.

The hens and older roos never tried to enter the open brooder but as the chicks got older they would fly up and perch on the rim of the brooder....over the weeks they would get up the nerve to venture out into the hen house. The older chickens paid them very little mind other than to push them around from time to time in which case the chicks would retreat back to the brooder which was home base and the older birds seemed to respect that.

By the time the packing peanut roos were old enough for their trip to freezer-land they had completely abandoned brooder for the roosts with the older chickens and I removed the brooder from the hen house.

The guineas roost with the hens now and are completely accepted by them as one of the flock. I have successfully added birds to my flock in this way over the years...I've never had this much space to raise birds before so this flock is rather young but in the past when I had a limited amount of space to raise hens I would rotate my flock completely in about two to three years...taking the older hens one at a time over the summer and fall then adding new chicks in the spring. The older hens make the most wonderful soup you have ever put in your mouth. The flavor cannot be duplicated with anything you buy at the store.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #57
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:
Gotta see this!

Oh, my! I hope people don't try this when they have a cold!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaserv View Post
Great Chicken pictures. Not really into roosters but those are really pretty roosters. Although every body who knows me chuckles about my blind rooster I kept for over 3 years.

I had Rhode Island Reds before and they are eggs laying machines, along with a good personality. I had some major issues when I mixed the young girls in with the older ones and I had to thin out the older grumpy ones. Luckily we had a friend with a huge chicken coup who took them. Most of them were Buff Orphingtons. The older ones I kept are on vacation for the winter, by spring time everyone should be laying full force.

I took out just 6 fresh eggs to try this out on, just in case. Wow, it worked great! I like to keep a few jars of pickled eggs in the refrigerator, now I can stock up again. My husband like those in his lunch box and their handy to quick chop up for salads.

Anna... could I have the recipe for the pickled eggs?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eaglesmate
WOE: wls , rny
Start Date: rny 5/4/2010
hi! thanks for the egg info I will be trying it today!! I also occasionally like soft boiled eggs for breakfast. Using this method, do you know how many minutes to boil before the cooling?
eaglesmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

At 14 minutes the yolks are still moist... so if you cut the time in half... 7 minutes... you should have a runny yolk.