Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Blender coconut pie (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/594106-blender-coconut-pie.html)

Annabelle 12-24-2008 03:29 PM

Blender coconut pie

A while back I was making coconut cream pie from a recipe I found here. It was sooo simple! Everything went into the blender and then was baked. It made its own crust and all. I know it used unsweetened coconut flakes,as,and maybe cream but cannot find the recipe anywhere! I've used the search in the recipe room to no avail. Anyone remember it, pretty please!

Annabelle 12-24-2008 03:32 PM

I think I found it myself! Here's the recipe in case you never saw it.
Coconut Cream Pie
4 eggs
¼ cup butter
¼ t salt
2 t coconut extract (flavoring)
2 t vanilla
½ t baking powder
1 cup unsweetened coconut
2 cups heavy cream
½ cup Splenda

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter a 9 inch pie pan.
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into prepared pie pan and bake for approximately 1 hour until top is golden brown and set. Cool. Store in refrigerator overnight to give the “crust” time to better set up. Top with whipped cream prior to serving.

Total net carbs are 31. Each 1/8th of the pie piece has 4 carbs.

Really,really good!:clap:

jacksmixedtape 12-25-2008 07:08 AM

This looks so yummy and easy!

CarolynF 12-25-2008 04:26 PM

Thanks, Annabelle for recycling this wonderful recipe..:)

lowcarbs4me 12-25-2008 05:15 PM

bookmarking this recipe

pennylovesdarren 12-25-2008 11:06 PM

Wow! that sounds delicious!

LosingKitty 12-26-2008 01:13 AM

Wow. Lately I've seen a few other pretty ingredient heavy Coconut Cream pies that I just didnt feel like messing with but they left me wanting one. I cant wait to make this one and since you say its yummy, and obviously it must be since you bothered to hunt it down again- I am sure to make it. I think I actually have all the ingredients except not enough cream! I needed to go to the grocery store anyway! We are so lucky to be able to eat so much yummy stuff on LC! :clap:

Smiles,
Rebecca

clyde 12-26-2008 04:09 AM

This does look yummy and easy! I wonder if you could sub coconut milk for some of the cream to make it more "coconutty"?

Thanks for digging it up!

Happy New Year!! :up:

CarolynF 12-26-2008 06:23 AM

Clyde: I think when this recipe was developed years ago, coconut milk wasn't really used that much in the LC community. However, it certainly would make a great sub for the heavy cream. I have made custard out of a can of coconut milk and eggs, and it is lovely.

I might use one can of coconut milk, which I believe is about 10 ounces? Then the rest
cream/half and half or even LC milk.

clyde 12-26-2008 10:24 AM

Thank you Carolyn! I love that this doesn't have a crust and the whole thing is just 30 something carbs...it wouldn't kill me if I "over indulged" :)

pri17cess72 12-28-2008 04:59 PM

Mmmm this sounds delish. Putting with my "recipes to try"

Sweeteater 12-29-2008 11:58 AM

I remember trying this recipe and really enjoyed it. Thanks for finding it again. :)

skg 12-29-2008 12:13 PM

Question, is the butter melted or just soft? May make this for New Years eve.

alex57 12-29-2008 12:16 PM

Made this Saturday and really enjoyed it. It has a strong coconut flavor so really woundn't need coconut milk, cylde. Super easy..... however, had to be careful not to go back for seconds.. or thirds... Think I'll try freezing a piece to see if it's freezable.

skq... I used room temp. butter.
Also want to say that 1/8 of pie was a nice portion.

skg 12-30-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex57 (Post 11321414)

skq... I used room temp. butter.
Also want to say that 1/8 of pie was a nice portion.

Thank you, I am going to make this when I get home tonight for tomorrow.

clyde 12-30-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpgc (Post 11327290)
Coconut cream pie is my favorite "sweet"! Clyde did you (or anyone else) try this recipe with the coconut milk? I think I'll give it a shot as well, or at least 1/2 coconut milk and 1/2 Half-N-Half.

No...but thank you for reminding me. I need to grab some coconut milk while I'm out next time and give it a whirl. If you try it in the meantime, let us know how it turns out!!!

Happy New Year!!

skg 12-30-2008 02:49 PM

I just put mine in the oven, I used 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup of heavy whipping cream. Ohhhhh it tasted good so far :).

eastbruce 12-30-2008 05:04 PM

:up::up::up:

I made this last night and have got to say that its the best thing I've tasted since I started this WOE.

I baked it a rectangular cake pan and it came out with a wonderful creamy pudding on the bottom and cake-like on the top. It did not appear to be done as the filling was kinda jiggly. But I put it in the fridge overnight and it set up just fine.

I did tweek it a little:

Coconut Cream Pie
4 eggs
¼ cup butter
¼ t salt
2 t coconut extract [COLOR="Blue"](I used 1 tsp)[/COLOR]
2 t vanilla
½ t baking powder
1 cup unsweetened coconut
2 cups heavy cream
½ cup Splenda [COLOR="Blue"](I used liquid Sweetfreez)[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]1/4 cup PolyD (I added to recipe)[/COLOR]

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter a 9 inch pie pan.
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into prepared pie pan and bake for approximately 1 hour until top is golden brown and set. Cool. Store in refrigerator overnight to give the “crust” time to better set up. Top with whipped cream prior to serving.

[COLOR="Blue"]Plugged it into ****** and got a total carb count of 35.7 for the whole thing!
[/COLOR]

hhhmom74 12-30-2008 05:10 PM

Thanks for reminding me about this recipe! I made it several times in the 1st couple of years of LCing but haven't made it since.

DEEDLYNN 12-30-2008 06:37 PM

save

Annabelle 12-30-2008 07:30 PM

So after I found the recipe I didn't get a chance to make it:( But now I'm going to try the coconut milk as well.
skg - how did yours turn out?
Anne

skg 12-30-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annabelle (Post 11329322)
So after I found the recipe I didn't get a chance to make it:( But now I'm going to try the coconut milk as well.
skg - how did yours turn out?
Anne

It smells wonderful, it is in the frig now may have to have a tiny taste in the morning :D

skg 12-31-2008 06:20 AM

I had a tiny sliver of the pie this morning, it was very good. Can't wait till tonight so I can have a bigger slice :)

LosingKitty 01-01-2009 12:46 AM

Ok, I made it. Today I had my first piece and it was VERY yummy. My diabetic hubby had 3 pieces tonight and informed me that I need to keep making it. I loved just throwing it all in the blender- easiest pie I EVER made.
Thanks for posting it.
Smiles,
Rebecca

kitchenwitch2 01-01-2009 08:44 AM

I made this yesterday and just had my first slice.

I would call it more of a coconut custard than a cream, but since I *adore* custard, the texture was a pleasant surprise for me.

The easiest thing I have ever made!

I got the carb count down to around 2 per piece using powdered E as the sweetener, and 2 tablespoons of Torani vanilla instead of the extract ( I didn't have coconut extract and after seeing the price for a bottle, I skipped it and it came out fine).

I see many of these pies in my future. Thanks for reposting this!!!!!!!!

goheels 01-01-2009 11:18 AM

My first attempt at this is in the oven now----I used 1 cup coco milk and 1 cup HWC. Hope it turns out:confused:

soon 01-01-2009 11:21 AM

Anyone know what the caloreies are in this please?

mac24312 01-01-2009 11:30 AM

I had forgot about this too...as soon as the rest of my LC sweets are gone I am going to fix this with Cocount Milk...

HUGS!

WyomingDiva 01-01-2009 01:42 PM

This looks so easy and yummy - thanks for sharing! I love coconut recipes!