Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Gal View Post
.....and then after you try them....you will of course share with us????

My pinterest low carb foods I need to try is growing. I need to go in an delete a few. I've been trying to find a donut/GF/LC for my DIL.
I will. I need to try it out this weekend as Thanksgiving is unbelievably just around the corner!

I think I have a recipe for GF/LC donuts on my Pinterest. I haven't tried them, though. Hold on, I'll go get it ... okay, here's a link to it: "All for One Chocolate Donuts". She uses pumpkin in the recipe, too, so I bet it's .
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat

I will have to get some pumpkin and give them a try....it's October...should be 'on sale' about everywhere
The mini-donut maker is the one I have....it has spots for 7 mini-donuts.
I have tried the Flax OMM in it...and it comes out quite tasty...about 9/10 little donuts.
THANK YOU ! ! !
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Now for an easy blender pecan pie! I did find one on a blog where her husband loved it (she'd made quite a few fails, apparently), and I've got it Pinterested. It looks fairly simple and I'm all about quick and few ingredients. Need to give both these a try before Thanksgiving.

A blender chocolate cream pie (sans coconut) would be nice!

Can you point me in the right direction for the blender pecan pie? I love the coconut one and would like to try this one too.

I also copied the donut recipe too.

Thanks!
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Can you point me in the right direction for the blender pecan pie? I love the coconut one and would like to try this one too.

I also copied the donut recipe too.

Thanks!
It's not a blender pecan pie, but it looks pretty good and simple. Gluten free, too! Here's the link: Low Carb Thanksgiving Pecan Pie.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
.....and then after you try them....you will of course share with us????
Okay, so I tried the Low Carb Pecan Pie. I overcooked it a little - got busy putting on makeup to go out. It came out more "cakey" and kind of crumbly. Her picture looks like it had a thin layer of the ooey gooey middle of a traditional pecan pie. Mine didn't. Taste wise, it's okay. DH liked it better than me. And I lurve pecan pie. I could take a regular carby pecan pie, hide in a closet, and eat it by myself I think. This one I look at and talk myself out of having a piece.

BUT, to be fair, like I said, I overcooked it. I was also making Cheesecake Muffins, to it's totally possible that the oven temp had an effect on the pie, I dunno.

I hope someone else decides to give it a go and see what their results are. I feel bad giving it a non-glowing report when I'm sure the fault lies with me.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Okay, so I tried the Low Carb Pecan Pie. ...

Did you use the Swerve or did you sub Splenda?
I would have to 'hunt down' a Swerve source.

I have 2 pounds of pecan halves waiting to try this recipe.
Will be going to San Antonio to see the Grandkids this week end....thought I would try it out on them!!!!

I have been also toying with the idea of a Keto/pumpkin Pie I found....but that custard coconut pie keeps tingling my memeory as a favorite as well!!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

I just reread her directions:

" It’s best served warm, but we even ate it cold (but it does have a grainy texture when cold)."

Could that have been an explanation for the dry part you found?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Did you use the Swerve or did you sub Splenda?
I would have to 'hunt down' a Swerve source.

I have 2 pounds of pecan halves waiting to try this recipe.
Will be going to San Antonio to see the Grandkids this week end....thought I would try it out on them!!!!

I have been also toying with the idea of a Keto/pumpkin Pie I found....but that custard coconut pie keeps tingling my memeory as a favorite as well!!
I've learned to barely use Splenda in anything baked anymore. I used Swerve and a little Xylitol. Been to SA many, many times. Love it there.

I still want to try the coconut cream pie. LC Pumpkin Pie is much easier to make than a LC pecan pie!

Quote:
I just reread her directions:

" It’s best served warm, but we even ate it cold (but it does have a grainy texture when cold)."

Could that have been an explanation for the dry part you found?
Mine is grainy and crumbly. It had cooled by the time we tried it, having gone out for the evening after it came out of the oven. Warming it in the micro (at a lower temp) doesn't seem to help the texture. It had to have been because I overcooked it. I probably should have taken it out of the oven 10 minutes or so earlier.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:54 AM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DDuMouchel
Stats: 272.4/272.4/125
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: November 2013
I've never baked with artificial sweeteners and have hesitated to buy anything at the grocery store for fear of the strange aftertaste. We use Truvia in iced tea and the manufacturer does make a Truvia for baking but it also contains sugar which I understand is a no-no. What is Swerve and where do I find it?
DDuMouchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Mine is grainy and crumbly. It had cooled by the time we tried it, having gone out for the evening after it came out of the oven. Warming it in the micro (at a lower temp) doesn't seem to help the texture. It had to have been because I overcooked it. I probably should have taken it out of the oven 10 minutes or so earlier.

I'm guessing the graininess was caused by the Swerve recrystallizing, which wouldn't be helped by microwaving. Might be better to use a powdered sweetener instead.

I have used a tip I picked up from Lauren to use some honey to prevent the recrystalization of erythritol and it does work but I don't know what the exact ratio is, that's on my to do list when I have some free time. I know most people wouldn't want to use the honey though because of the added carbs but I use raw organic honey and in very small amounts plus it tastes great.

Last edited by PaminKY; 11-06-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
I have used a tip I picked up from Lauren to use some honey to prevent the recrystalization of erythritol and it does work but I don't know what the exact ratio is, that's on my to do list when I have some free time. I know most people wouldn't want to use the honey though because of the added carbs but I use raw organic honey and in very small amounts plus it tastes great.
I use glycerine in my hot fudge sauce and it has heled with graininess.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDuMouchel View Post
I've never baked with artificial sweeteners and have hesitated to buy anything at the grocery store for fear of the strange aftertaste. We use Truvia in iced tea and the manufacturer does make a Truvia for baking but it also contains sugar which I understand is a no-no. What is Swerve and where do I find it?
I find Swerve at an HEB, but this is a Texas based chain. It might be at Randalls (Safeway), haven't looked yet. Splenda is okay to bake with, but it's best mixed with another sweetener, especially when used in a chocolate recipe. But, I'm leaning more toward Swerve and Erythritol. I like the Ideal brand of xylitol, but with our dogs, I'm afraid they'll pick up a stray crumb, so I'm going to quit using that. Or keep it for my coffee only and hope I don't spill it!

Quote:
I'm guessing the graininess was caused by the Swerve recrystallizing, which wouldn't be helped by microwaving. Might be better to use a powdered sweetener instead.

The honey tip sounds interesting. I used what the recipe called for, which was Swerve. I'm really thinking it was the overcooking on my part.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
I use glycerine in my hot fudge sauce and it has heled with graininess.

Interesting! I never tried glycerine but I have plenty on hand, I do use it in homemade ice cream but I do know that it has a funky taste that you can detect if you use too much.

What proportions do you use, how much glycerine to how much erythritol?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Interesting! I never tried glycerine but I have plenty on hand, I do use it in homemade ice cream but I do know that it has a funky taste that you can detect if you use too much.

What proportions do you use, how much glycerine to how much erythritol?

Hmm, well in the hot fudge sauce it is 4 sq. unsweetened chocolate and 1 cup HWC and then 1 Tbsp. glycerine and Swerve to taste. Previously, my sauce became very grainy and with the glycerine, it is not grainy at all. I hope that helps.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #165
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
Just made this and it is too good. Better take half to my son or I'll have portion issues. The coconut is still evident. Did I not blend it long enough? I don't see a "crust" but it doesn't matter. It's to die for!
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
TBipp... I tried searching for this hot fudge version but couldn't find it. How do you prepare it?
JHoberer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GingerAnn
WOE: Atkins
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I wanted to love this dessert but I just didn't care for the grainy texture at all it did make me crave flan. I may try a low carb flan next.
GingerAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #168
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Xexist
Going to give this a try!
Xexist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:27 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
TBipp... I tried searching for this hot fudge version but couldn't find it. How do you prepare it?
Just found it. thread #123
Old 11-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #170
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xexist View Post
Going to give this a try!

Will taste later
Old 11-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Looks yummy!
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #172
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Looks yummy!
It wasn't as good as I had hoped, but might taste better cold, and it wasn't bad, just not amazing. 7/10 maybe?
Old 11-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 210
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: December 3, 2012
Yummy. Thx for sharing your find.
Cats for Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
I just put this in the oven. I forgot the baking powder or soda, whichever it was. But I wanted to make meringue for it, so I separated the four eggs and saved the whites for the meringue, then I added two whole eggs to the egg yolks for the pie. I replaced almost all the heavy cream with coconut milk and added just enough heavy cream to make two cups. I didn't have any coconut flavoring. :/

I'll have to report back on how it turned out.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
I just put this in the oven. I forgot the baking powder or soda, whichever it was. But I wanted to make meringue for it, so I separated the four eggs and saved the whites for the meringue, then I added two whole eggs to the egg yolks for the pie. I replaced almost all the heavy cream with coconut milk and added just enough heavy cream to make two cups. I didn't have any coconut flavoring. :/

I'll have to report back on how it turned out.
This was not quite what I was expecting. Maybe I didn't do something right -- like maybe I was supposed to blend the mix in the blender until it was completely smooth.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #176
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Godslamb
Stats: 221/221/150
WOE: low carb high fat
Start Date: January 9 2014
Yes! We have a winner!

I believe this is one of the first recipes I grabbed when hubby and I were told we needed to go on a LCHF way of eating, about 3 months ago. It took me that long to make it, because every time I saw the recipe, it was around 3 in the afternoon,, and too late to make it for dessert that night, and I vowed to make it the next day. LOL You can see where that got me.
So yesterday I saw it again, but first thing in the morning, so I made it, and it went into the fridge at noon, and we ate it at 7:00 pm. Oh goodness! It was so very good!
Like some, I did find it more custardy than creamy, but that was ok for hubby and I both. He said he found it almost like rice pudding.
Unlike some, I didn't (and I don't normally) find the Splenda had an after taste.
The only things I changed, were the heavy cream (I only had 1 cup left), so I used half and half for the other cup, and then I used DaVinci's French Vanilla syrup for the vanilla extract. Fabulous!
I do believe, like some, I will have to make this for when company comes over, or I will find myself eating the whole thing by myself. It is very hard to not take more! Thank you to whoever came up with this recipe!
Godslamb is offline   Reply With Quote