Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clyde
Stats: 167/118/110 Height 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 12/07/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Have not made a layer cake with it because almond meal is so expensive for me.
Girl....it's expensive for all of us!! I went into a Harris Teeter today and a bag of almond flour was $14.99!!

That bag can sit there! Slivered almonds at the Fresh Market are $7.99 so I'm going to be doing some grinding!!
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Girl....it's expensive for all of us!! I went into a Harris Teeter today and a bag of almond flour was $14.99!!

That bag can sit there! Slivered almonds at the Fresh Market are $7.99 so I'm going to be doing some grinding!!
It is so funny that you mention this, Clyde! I've just started getting those sliced almonds from Fresh Market and making my own flour in an old coffee grinder (it gets them SO fine, like a paste!). It's a little easier on the wallet, but daanng it seems to disappear so quickly when you mess up in the kitchen a lot! Thanks for bringing up Fresh Market as a source for almonds (for anyone in the South).

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 12-30-2008 at 08:57 PM..
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KlingonBabe
Stats: Miserable/Sane/FABULOUS
I'm making this tomorrow. I have everything except the yogurt, but I have sour cream. More fat. Who's to argue with that?
KlingonBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:06 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neko-chan
Stats: 195/185/150
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 12/25/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCola View Post
I have the Bob's Red Mill kind - and when I opened the package I could smell coconut, but after heating I couldn't really taste coconut.
Thanks! I found Bob's at Whole Foods yesterday. I'll give it a shot next week when I get paid.
Neko-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:32 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Carleigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I wish y'all had a Trader Joes nearby. They have a pound of almond meal for $3.99! I think that's at least 3/4 less than what I should be paying at Kroger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko-chan View Post
Thanks! I found Bob's at Whole Foods yesterday. I'll give it a shot next week when I get paid.
Now I'm scared that it will taste like coconut and that I'm just not sensitive to it and you will be upset!
Carleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:09 AM   #36
Lounge Chef & Typo Queen!!

Gallery: SnowWhite
Stats: 450/ Ugh/185
Start Date: 5/26/03 * WLS 1/15/04
I'm makin this today! I actually went to WF last night to get the coconut flour and coconut oil (for another recipe).

Question: Can I use sour cream as a sub for yogurt?
SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:10 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
I'm makin this today! I actually went to WF last night to get the coconut flour and coconut oil (for another recipe).

Question: Can I use sour cream as a sub for yogurt?
I'll let you know in a little while. I don't have any yogurt, so I'm using sour cream. I say, more fat, bring it on!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:16 AM   #38

Thanks Klingon! Good Luck!!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:48 AM   #39

Think I can make these into cupcakes using paper liners? I'll be making mine shortly..I'm just waiting to see what Klingonbabe has to say about subbing sour cream for yogurt
Old 12-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

I could, if my husband hadn't made himself an omelet, and now I'm short on the eggs!!!!! I'm *MAKING* him take me to the store RIGHT NOW!!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #41

girrrrrl! It's OK. Dh just called me from the store. I told him to pick up some yogurt Think it would be OK to make cupcakes using a liner?

Where is Lil Lauren when I need her
Old 12-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
Think I can make these into cupcakes using paper liners? I'll be making mine shortly..I'm just waiting to see what Klingonbabe has to say about subbing sour cream for yogurt
Hiii SnowWhite! I think it would work just fine. Adjust the baking time and leave them in until the tops spring back.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Well, the Snow Gods dictated that our car could NOT make it up the street, so I decided that I'd make do with 8 eggs instead of 9, and sour cream instead of yogurt. I also uses a blend of Diabetisweet and Splenda instead of Erythritol and Stevia. I upped the cocoa powder a bit, too.

I was amazed at how all that stuff compacted into a single 9-inch layer. I was expecting to have to fill two.

Anyway, I like the idea of cutting the cake in half and frosting it as a half-cake, so that I can have a nice tall cake... or, better yet, make a FOUR LAYER half-cake!!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #44

OK - me and my 4 dwarves are in the kitchen right now cooking away...but SnowWhite will need a break shortly cause I'm not supposed to stand for long. I got the ribs in the crockpot, chicken wings are marinading in a dry rub, and meatballs are being rolled as we weak (kids ARE good for something! ) I'm gonna shoot for 3pm to do desserts.

Klingon - Let me know how it turns out!!!! I'm gonna make mine into cupcakes Now that I have Lauren's approval

LAUREN!!!!! I'm so excited to make your cake We're together in the spirit of New Year!
2003 - (443lbs to 429lbs) 14 lost, 2004 - (429 lbs to 306lbs) 123 lb lost (WLS 1/15/04), 2005 - (306lbs to 260lbs) 46 lbs lost, 2006 - (260lbs to 236lbs) 23 lbs lost, 2007 - 21 LB GAIN (236 (AFTER HAVING BABY) - 257 ) 2008- (257 to 231) 25 lbs lost!), 2009 -(231 -?)
<>< Dear Sweet Jesus, I pray that I may walk by your side as you guide me down my path. Hold my hand, Dear Lord, and never let me stray. <><
Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I made this cake late last night, but haven't frosted it yet (doing that as soon as the cream cheese comes to room temp). I made a discovery with sugar alcohols (specifically xylitol because that's what I normally use). I made a batch of Laura Dolson's peanut butter fudge and had the idea to melt down the xylitol (just like you would melt sugar to make caramel). It melted down to a thick syrup, no crystals at all. I cooled it down and added it to the fudge. It never recrystalized (I did add a tsp of xanathan just to be safe). So I decided to try that method with this cake. The cake turned out beautifully. I'm also going to try it with the frosting. I'll report back as soon as the cake is frosted. DH is the super taste tester, he detects anything "funky" - I'm not quite as picky. There was zero cooling effect with the fudge, so I'm hoping the same thing happens with this cake too!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

I did the four-layer beast

Looks like something from a diner on the Food Network.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #47

That's cool Bikerang! Yes, please let us know what the "Taste Tester" says

Klingonbabe: Wow! I might do that then. Yeah that's quite a lot of batter in there. I didn't do the cupcakes cause I was afraid they'd stick to the liners since the batter was so wet. I also added a bit more dark chocolate cocoa and for some reason I needed about 2-3x the amount of red food coloring for a vibrant red I also used about 2 cups of splenda :blush: My DH likes things very sweet.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:42 PM   #48
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
PICTURES! Gotta have some PICTURES, girls!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:56 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KB - Have you tasted it yet? It sounds gorgeous. And yes, could you possibly take a picture? It sounds impressive!

SnowWhite - Lemme know how it turned out with Splenda and how your family liked it! The more cocoa you add the harder it is to get it red. Sounds like you did a lot of cooking today!
Old 12-31-2008, 06:30 PM   #50

I lost my digital camera I had to stop cooking cause my leg just gave out on me (pinched nerve from surgery) so DH took over. He made the frostting which could have used more splenda or a splenda quick pack. I asked him how the cake turned out and he said the bottom was burned He didn't even trim the burnt part away He DID however slice it in half to make 2 layers and frosted it I'm anxious to give it a try! I would think that it would be better cold but I trust Lauren's suggestion to eat at at room temp. My oldest son is making the Chewy Honey Nut Cookies (with 2 Tbsp of added white chocolate chips & 2 Tbsp dried cranberries). He flattened them out a lot more than I do...they almost look like a lace cookie!

Congrats Lauren! Our family is so thankful for all the recipes you've shared with us!

I'll let ya know how it tastes!!!!

Oh...menu?

crockpot ribs in an LC sauce
homemade meatballs
seasoned chicken wings
blackeye pea salad
deviled eggs
veggie tray w/ ranch
red velvet cake
buckeyes
chewy honey nut cookies w/ white chocolate chips & cranberries (I know! I splurged!)
punch

DONE! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:37 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gulf Coast Girl
Stats: Goal Feb '10. Lost 163 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
...I made a batch of Laura Dolson's peanut butter fudge and had the idea to melt down the xylitol (just like you would melt sugar to make caramel). It melted down to a thick syrup, no crystals at all. I cooled it down and added it to the fudge. It never recrystalized (I did add a tsp of xanathan just to be safe). So I decided to try that method with this cake...

Biker, when you say you melted it down did you mix it with water or a liquid? Or do you mean you put the sweetener in a pan by itself? You mentioned making caramel. I've only made caramel once and the recipe had butter and cream so I'm not familiar with putting sugar on heat without a liquid. How do you keep it from burning? Thanks in advance.
Gulf Coast Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 PM   #52

HAPPY NEW YEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

The cake was really good! It's mildly coconutty and sweet - not much of a cocoa flavor at all. I could have used more splenda (or quick pack) in the cream cheese frosting. We used 1/2 a cup. My oldest son and I ate a small slice and I'm sure the rest will follow - but they've OD'd on all the other stuff I made

Thank You Lauren!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:13 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: getting2goal
Stats: no/no/yes!!!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 10, 2006
Lauren that cake looks amazing! I can't wait to make it. I will try to post pics too.
getting2goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

OMG, this cake was AMAZING...

I was short one egg, and I used sour cream instead of yogurt. I also doubled the cocoa powder. Overall, it was FANTASTIC. I am glad I double-stacked it, too. Most festive. I cut myself a sliver, and couldn't finish it, it's so satisfying! Yay for protein and fat!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RED VELVET CAKE SLICE.jpg (63.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

This cake is really amazing! I've made coconut flour cakes before (from Bruce Fife's book) and never really cared for them (too dry). This one however is fantastic! I couldn't taste any coconut, neither could DH. He LOVED it! This is a very dense cake, with all the eggs it's very filling and very rich. I used whole milk yogurt and Hershey's cocoa (didn't have any Dutch). I also used regular red food coloring, but didn't quite have a full TBS. If I can figure out how to use my camera, I'll take a pic and post it!

jenniferjb8 - I had this idea because I took a cooking class a while ago and we made flan. When making flan, you just cook down sugar (no water/butter/anything else) for the bottom (it's actually the top when you flip it out of the pan) of the flan. Sugar carmalizes and turns brown and turns to a liquid caramel substance. So I thought I'd try the same thing with xylitol. I just used a copper pan (it gets hot really fast and cools really fast because it's so thin) and put the straight xylitol in the pan. Cooked it on medium heat until it turned to liquid. I just watched it to make sure it didn't get too hot and as soon as it turned to liquid I took it off the heat (and with a copper pan it cooled down pretty quick). I let it cool until it was just warm to the touch and used this liquid in place of the crystals. I also used this method for the frosting and it turned out beautifully. This is how I'm going to use xylitol from now on. No grit or cooling. The fudge after a week is still like fudge, no crystals or cooling effect (disclaimer - I did add 1 tsp xanathan to the fudge just to make sure it didn't recrystalize).
Old 01-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Bikerang, I think you are a genius.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KB - Thanks for taking a photo! Your cake looks amazing. Four layers, wow! All that frosting makes me wanna lick the screen, LOL. Glad you liked the cake!

SnowWhite - Hope your leg is feeling better! Prayers for a speedy recovering. Sounds like you cooked up quite a feast! The cookies with the tweaks sound so good. Care to share the recipe for those crockpot ribs?

BikerAng - Making a xylitol syrup... genius, Angie! I will try that and the xanthan for a batch of fudge. That tip is a BIG help! Glad you enjoyed the cake.

Jenn - Hope you try it!

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 01-01-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
This cake is really amazing! I've made coconut flour cakes before (from Bruce Fife's book) and never really cared for them (too dry). This one however is fantastic! I couldn't taste any coconut, neither could DH. He LOVED it! This is a very dense cake, with all the eggs it's very filling and very rich. I used whole milk yogurt and Hershey's cocoa (didn't have any Dutch). I also used regular red food coloring, but didn't quite have a full TBS. If I can figure out how to use my camera, I'll take a pic and post it!

jenniferjb8 - I had this idea because I took a cooking class a while ago and we made flan. When making flan, you just cook down sugar (no water/butter/anything else) for the bottom (it's actually the top when you flip it out of the pan) of the flan. Sugar carmalizes and turns brown and turns to a liquid caramel substance. So I thought I'd try the same thing with xylitol. I just used a copper pan (it gets hot really fast and cools really fast because it's so thin) and put the straight xylitol in the pan. Cooked it on medium heat until it turned to liquid. I just watched it to make sure it didn't get too hot and as soon as it turned to liquid I took it off the heat (and with a copper pan it cooled down pretty quick). I let it cool until it was just warm to the touch and used this liquid in place of the crystals. I also used this method for the frosting and it turned out beautifully. This is how I'm going to use xylitol from now on. No grit or cooling. The fudge after a week is still like fudge, no crystals or cooling effect (disclaimer - I did add 1 tsp xanathan to the fudge just to make sure it didn't recrystalize).
Dumb question for the day, for anyone who wants to field it: Might the put-strait-into-the-pan-and-cook-to-melt trick work with and/or have any practical application with erythritol? Or polydextrose?
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: worldlove
Stats: 5' 6" 175 (12/14)/147.4(7/8)/135-139 (5/6)
WOE: Lower Carb Pescatarian/Clean Eating
OMG! Food Porn!!!! Yuuuuummmmmyyyyy!!!!:0)
worldlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Dumb question for the day, for anyone who wants to field it: Might the put-strait-into-the-pan-and-cook-to-melt trick work with and/or have any practical application with erythritol? Or polydextrose?
I think it would work with E (it's a sugar alcohol like xylitol), but I don't know anything about polyd.