Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Retro's Flavourless Cake--For Easy Access!

So here, forthwith, is my recipe for Tons o' Flavorless Cake. (Yes, I think that's what I'll call it.) Offered here with the following caveats:

1. This cake is relatively flavorless. (Duh!)

2. This cake has a TON of fiber, so the uninitiated should be very wary.

3. On the other hand, this cake can be nuked in 6 minutes (700 watt oven) and the entire recipe (6 mini loaves as I make it) comes in at approximately 122 calories, 3 fat, 9 carb and 23 protein. That's only 21 calories and 1.5 carbs per mini loaf! And despite all the weird ingredients and fiber, it actually manages to rise to double the batter height. (That was quite the challenge!)

Tons O' Flavorless Cake

Dry Ingredients:

1 tbsp protein powder (I use Any Whey as I have found it rises the best, but probably any would do as it is used in such small proportion)

3 tbsp egg white powder

4 tbsp oat fiber

4 tbsp granular Erythritol

4 tbsp Hershey Special Dark Cocoa (other cocoa will be fine, but is usually 4x the calories)

1 tbsp Black cocoa (can just up the regular cocoa if unavailable)

1 tbsp espresso powder

1.5 tsp baking powder (non-aluminum kind)

.25 tsp baking soda

.75 tsp Splenda Quickpack

2 packets Sweet One (Ace K)

.5 tsp cellulose powder (adds structure and helps the rise, I believe)

1/8 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients:

2 tbsp vanilla extract

2 tbsp Z Trim gel

1 tbsp Walden Farms Marshmallow Dip (this is not actually for flavor, but adds lift, rise, and some emulsion --probably from the gum blend. This is how I get away without egg yolk, I believe.)

11 tbsp cold water

Directions:

1. Mix the dry ingredients thoroughly. (I actually have begun to pulse the dry ingredients in my Magic Bullet as the egg white powder was sometimes turning into dry pellets when cooking -- probably from not allowing them enough time to soak up moisture completely before cooking. Smaller granules seems to help.)

2. In a separate bowl, large enough for all the cake batter, mix the wet ingredients thoroughly.

3. Add dry ingredients to wet. Blend/beat well.

4. Evenly distribute batter into greased silicone baking wells.

5. Nuke for approximately 6 minutes. Better to remove from oven even if the tops still seem a touch wet -- they will harden and solidify a bit more when cool. (Your cooking time will vary, of course, with oven wattage and choice of baking pan. I don't suggest trying this as one large cake -- you won't get a terrific rise, but cupcake pan or mini-muffins would do just fine.)

More flavor (what little there is!) will develop if you fridge these overnight.

Some notes:

I microwave these instead of baking because of the volume of oat fiber in the recipe -- I've found that this much oat fiber never seems to really dry with traditional oven cooking -- the result was kind of gummy.

I'm sure that the addition of real egg or butter or chocolate would make these quite palatable, btw, and still fall nicely within most people's plans. They are an "extra" for me however, and I just have wanted to keep the stats as low as possible.

I change this up all the time, different tweaks here and there. Tomorrow I think I will swap out the espresso and black cocoa and throw in just a smidgen of instant chocolate pudding mix, a tsp or 2, for flavor. That might wind up adding about 1 extra carb, but I feel like throwing caution to the wind.

If you do try this, Ouis, please report back and tell me how it worked for you.

ETA: Hey don't forget that with a cake this low in stats, you can afford to slather some yummy cream cheese frosting on top -- that'll add some flavor! LOL!

Here is a pic of my 6 mini loaf silicone pan, btw:
Attached Thumbnails
green-tea-powder-matcha-carbs-17417d1226360990-muffin-top-pan-miniloaf260.jpg
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is a marvelous little recipe, and I have been making it daily now for a week--it truly seems to satisfy and keep me from nibbling on other things--Not nearly so flavourless as Retro claims!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Wow- way too many ingredients. Sounds tasty though.

B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I would like to try this. I need to gather up a few ingredients. Nice to know i don't own every low carb product yet!
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I would like to try this. I need to gather up a few ingredients. Nice to know i don't own every low carb product yet!
Hiya Soobee!

Yeah, this recipe was taken from another thread (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cha-carbs.html) where we were joking that I would never post it 'cause no one would ever have the ingredients. Turns out that Ouis did so I posted it there. She's reposted it here, in its own thread, hoping for some tweaking, I suspect. You're just the gal who can do it, too!

In that previous thread I posted that the cake flavor is greatly improved with the addition of 2 tsp of SF instant chocolate pudding mix. Taking out the espresso powder and black cocoa to bring the carbs back down works just fine, tho you may want to increase the water to 12 tbsp with the addition of the pudding.

So, here are ingredients that are not necessarily required here:

espresso powder
black cocoa
cellulose powder (may want to eventually try some amount of xanthan instead, but may not even be necessary)
Z Trim gel (Ouis is using chia gel, but you can of course just use eggs)
Sweet One (AceK) -- just use your sweetener combo of choice

And just want to reiterate that this is a microwave recipe -- it will not work out too well in the oven.

Let us know if you try it,

Last edited by retroworx; 12-20-2008 at 09:13 AM..
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Lounge Chef & Typo Queen!!

Gallery: SnowWhite
Stats: 450/ Ugh/185
Start Date: 5/26/03 * WLS 1/15/04
Wow - lots of ingredients I don't have either.

So, do you crave it? If it's flavourless do you find yourself adding anything to it to make it taste better? Or are you making it for the added fiber?

I just don't know that I'd want to put so much effort into something that's flavorless. I'm too lazy....BUT...if there's a weight loss secret behind it - I'm game!
SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
Wow - lots of ingredients I don't have either.

So, do you crave it? If it's flavourless do you find yourself adding anything to it to make it taste better? Or are you making it for the added fiber?

I just don't know that I'd want to put so much effort into something that's flavorless. I'm too lazy....BUT...if there's a weight loss secret behind it - I'm game!
Well, the really crucial ingredients here are really the oat fiber (zero calories/carbs) and the Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa (only 5 calories/TBSP) In combo, they make the lowest carb/calorie flour combo I've seen. With the additional flavor from the pudding, noted in my post above, it's no longer flavorless.

But no weight loss secret, either, other than incredible volume for very few calories/carbs, and very filling -- which helps keep me away from potato chips and their evil cohorts.

I didn't post this recipe on its own thread myself, as I realize the special ingredients make its appeal very limited.

You may all move on. . .Nothin' to see here, folks. LOL
Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
This post is pretty old, but I just now found it. (Actually followed a link here.)

Retro & Oius are you still making this. Any changes?

I'm thinking of trying it. I don't have cellulose pwd, and am thinkg of adding about 1/2 tsp (w 655mg caps) of Glucomannan instead. What do you think.

I also don't have: Black cocoa, espresso powder, or z trim. Thought I'd use reg cocoa (or up the Special Dark), either sub out some coffee for some of the water to replace the espresso, and use Chia gel for the z trim (as per one of your posts here). Oh, and I don't/won't use pudding mix.

What size pans would be best? I don't have the muffin top pans. I have 1 silicone mini loaf pan. And I have a silicone mini bunt pan, & a heart shaped silicone pan. I also have silicon muffin cups.
Just not sure what size I need, and how much goes in each.

It may make more than it sounds like, but it doesn't sound like much batter. So would the muffin cups work?

Thanks

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I still have several bags of this that I made up awhile ago. It is a terrific little cake and some glu powder would make it even better. I make it in silicone muffin cups in the micro. I never added cellulose to mine and I use chia gel as well! I love to add orange or mint extract to these or to make some cream cheese frosting. Excellent cakes and a lot of bang for your buck.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Is the non-aluminum baking powder essential, or can regular baking powder be subbed? The only non-aluminum kind I've seen locally contained an ingredient I'm allergic to. (I can't remember what it was now, though. :blush: )
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Ouis!!! If I don't forget, I'll try it tomorrow.
You said you had several bags made up. Do you just make up 1 at a time recipes of the dry ingredients & put in bags to have on hand?

Thanks

Kisal, I may be wrong here, and if so I'm sure they will correct me, but I imagine you can use the other baking soda. A lot of people prefer to use the non-aluminum to avoid the aluminum in their diet. And if putting thru a program to get a carb count, different types of baking soda are slightly different in count. I think what I have now is non-aluminum, but what I used for years wasn't, and if I were still using it, that is what I would use.
Hopefully I didn't give you bad info!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:26 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Here's a question:

Without the cocoa, and expresso, what could you use to make say, spice, or yellow, or some NOT chocolate version?

Like apple?? With the Alpine Cider?

Just wondering if anyone has tried that.

I see a bunch of experiments happening.

How many calories per 1/6 of the recipe? Any guesses? Cause that's what I'd be doing. . .

Ouiz? is this like your LC/LC OMM? I love those!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Magna--I absolutely love to make my superlow OMM in apple spice using an alpine cider packet and caramel davinci's. I think it is my favorite. This is slightly different from the superlow one (which depends on glu powder and is much much simpler to make). These are super yummy but much more work. When I make this recipe, I usually make up about 20 little bags of it and each bag makes me about 6 miniloaves/huge muffins. I think at some point I figured 18 calories per muffin. There are a number of ingredients in this recipe I think are unnecessary at this point--like the weird sweeteners, etc. I am going to make up one of my bags today with some glu powder added and I will report back, k?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

reporting back--I still do have a bunch of bags of this--so I added a tsp of glu powder to a bag and made it up--

VASTLY improved texture--moist and tasty!

I don't know that I would go to all the trouble to make up a whole bunch of these the way they are written any more--I might use it as an elaboration of my superlow omm--

by the way--I've made a batch as a cake in a round silicone pan and it was wonderful

GLU FROSTING--soften 2 Tbs ff (or whatever) creamcheese. sprinkle with 1/4 tsp glu powder and stir til well mixed. Add a couple of TBS of vanilla davincis and stir stir stir. Nice larger volume of frosting. I frosted 14 mini retro muffins with this. delish!

Last edited by ouizoid; 03-04-2011 at 08:33 AM..
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Ouiz, thank you you are a doll for clarifying this and for trying the glu.

I don't know if I will make it up in baggies.

But @18 cal. I might. I (as you know, probably) am JUDDDing, so with those calories I COULD have one every day!! (I have a DH and a grown DS who I see almost every day, they eat my LC goodies--) So the recipe could last two days at my house. . .LOL!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love the idea of extending the frosting with glucomannon. I'll have to try it. I wonder if you could extend peanut butter the same way.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

of course you could! The only downside is a slight muting of the flavours. With frosting I compensated by adding extra vanilla extract and some capella drops. might be more difficult with the PB
Old 03-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have peanut butter flavor drops.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I was putting the recipe in a word doc so I could print it out with my notes of tweaks I'd have to make. I had missed one ingredient before, so had not commented on it..... 1 tbsp Walden Farms Marshmallow Dip ..... I don't have this, and won't be getting it anytime soon, if ever. Is there anything I can sub for it, or just leave it out. (Maybe the glucomannan will take care of whatever it did?)

Sorry to be such a bother.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

leave it out. not necessary--gluc will be perfect--
Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

In the meantime, I made a batch a little while ago.

Changes:
I used the 4 Tbsp Hershey Dark, but used 2 Tbsp Regular Hershey's (Don't have any black)
No espresso pwd... I used 1/2 cup cold coffee for part of the water (then the other 3 Tbsp waer)
I used 1/2 tsp Splenda Quick pack + 1/8 tsp pure Stevia powd (& the E, & 2 Sweet Ones) (They were quite sweet)
1/2 tsp Glcomannan pwd (2 caps)
1/2 tsp Carb Counters Thick It Up Low Carb Thickener
I sprinkled in a little kelp for part of the salt, and a tiny pinch of salt
added 2 TBsp Chia Gel
(other ingredients as recipe calls for, 'cept I used a different brand of protein pwd - what I had)
Used a 6 cup silicone muffin pan.

It rose to the top of the cups when it was baked. I baked it the full 6 minutes, but might could have cut it back just a little. The tops were no still wet, but they seemed just right when they came out of the micro. I couldn't wait to let them cool. I ate 2 right away. :blush: I was hungry! So the others are cooling, and will go into the fridge in a bit.

I did make some cream cheese frosting & put on the 2 I ate. I started out making like you said, but didn't look at your post again until I had ate them. I softened the cream cheese and added the Glu pdw, and used the whip of my Cuisineart stick blender to whip it. Didn't seem right, so I added some whipped cream that I had in the fridge. Seemed better, still kinda thick, but I used some of it (close to 1/2 actually) on those 2 muffins. THEN.... I remembered you said you put DaVinci syrup in it. So I added some of it to the rest, and whipped again. Much better!

The muffins rose very well, and the texture was very good. Like you said, amazing for being so full of fiber!
for the recipe! I'm sure I will make again.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 03-04-2011 at 10:51 PM..
Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried the glucomannan frosting substituting peanut butter for cream cheese. It made a delicious fluffy frosting. It would be good for people with dairy intoloerance issues, since most peanut butter frostings are cut with some sort of dairy product. This is only peanut butter.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Go Tweakers, go!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the original recipe Retro!!! This is quite a good snack, very filling, and for few carbs (or calories)!

Today I made a peanut butter frosting/sauce too. Couldn't even begin to tell you how I made it. But it did have coconut oil (melted), peanut butter, a little peanut pwd/flour, and some sweetener blend that I blended up the other day. Didn't measure. Oh, and lets not forget, I added a couple capsules of Glu to it!! DID make a huge mess when I tried to blend/whip it in too small a container with my Cuisineart hand blender (whip attachment)! When will I learn? I had some with the cake/muffin, and then later had some of it with a sliced apple. That was super.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
subscribing
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote