Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Mexican style hominy..

I was reading Carb Wars and the author mentions that Juanita's Mexican Style Hominy only has 4 net carbs per 1/2 cup serving. So, I bought a can this morning and did a faux rice experiment..Just drained and rinsed some..Chopped it up with my Pampered chef chopper and cooked it in butter in a small saucepan. OMGoodness...This stuff tastes just like rice and I am no hominy fan.

So, I emailed the company this morning to explain why their hominy has less carbs in it than regular hominy. The total carb count for 1/2 cup is 10, then the fiber is 6 and the sugars are 4. So, who knows?

But, it would very lovely if this stuff was actually LC friendly.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bobo36us
Stats: 248/181/165
WOE: EAT, DRINK, & BE MERRY!!!!!!!
Start Date: 09/08/08
Carolyn.............PLEASE let me know what they tell you.

I love Hominy, but have always passed on the Juanita's
because I never trusted the carb count either.

How can it have half (or less) the carbs of every other brand???
bobo36us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Lounge Chef & Typo Queen!!

Gallery: SnowWhite
Stats: 450/ Ugh/185
Start Date: 5/26/03 * WLS 1/15/04
Hmmmmm.......I don't understand it.

I have a can of hominy sitting in my pantry for pozole. Where did you get yours from?
SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #4

Let me tell you...I just made a risotto from some of the hominy for lunch and it was out of this world..

I got mine in the Mexican section of our local grocery store...Is that what you mean Snow?

Bobo: I have no idea on this carb count...but the "author" of the cookbook must have done her research. Total carbs say 10, then fiber..6..then sugars 4..UNLESS, they are not counting the fiber and the sugars in the total carbs..So, that would make the "real" count 14 net carbs per serving.

I should take my blood sugar and see if it has gone up.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #5

Gallery: pocahontas
I believe they subtract the fiber from their carb count, ie 10-6 = 4. The 4 carbs listed would be natural sugars in the hominy since I dont recall any sugar on the list of ingredients. So if you subtract fiber this could be a good deal carbwize for you. I dont net my carbs but I love pozole and make it occasionally. I doubt I get more than 1/2 cup in a serving anyway so I just count it as 10. It is oh so good!

Last edited by pocahontas; 12-13-2008 at 02:10 PM..
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
If you look at other Juanita brand hominy, the carb count is higher than with the Mexican style--same company--So I thought the lower carb count had to do with the way the lime treatment that Mexican style hominy has somehow effects the kernals--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sippy
Stats: 199/199/140
WOE: Rob Thompson's Glycemic Load Diet
Start Date: 12/13/08
Carolyn, I have Carb Wars too, and that turned me on to hominy. For a while I've had a huge 29 oz.can of Juanita's Mexican Style Hominy in my cupboard. I got it at the dollar store for 99 cents! 1 cup does have 8 net carbs. The label says "naturally high in fiber." Your approach to using it is very creative! I was thinking I'd use it as a substitute for black soy beans the next time I make chili. It's a lot cheaper than the soybeans.

I'm on Dr. Rob's Glycemic Load Diet. I don't count carbs, but I'm allowed a serving of starch a day. I love the buttery, rich taste of hominy and bet it would taste great as a substitute for beans in chili.

I have no idea as to why this hominy is so low in carbs - maybe the strain of corn they use? Who knows? Please post if you know!
sippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

ouiz, yeah, maybe it is the lime treatment!

Anyway, this stuff is well worth 8 net carbs per cup in my book. I'll have to try your rice experiment, Carolyn.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Carolyn, I can tell you the author of Carb Wars is no fly-by-night cookbook author.

She takes low carbing very seriously; I read about her on her blog early on - and she approaches it very methodically with a lot of forethought. Her husband is a scientist apparently, and lowcarbing really helped his health. Jimmy Moore once interviewed her and I believe she'll also be a speaker on the low carb cruise he has planned for January. I am very cautious of labels too, but put my caution aside to trust this one.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #10

Thanks for the information..I am very hopeful that this can be a product that we can enjoy alot and still lose or maintain.

I think hominy is like a big giant kernel of corn blown up. So, one kernel takes up alot of volume..(But this is only a guess...I can look it up later)
Old 12-13-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Here is some info from Wikipedia. It sounds like some
of the carb reduction may come from the "soaking" process,
which is similar to the "sprouting" process of some of the
low carb breads talked about on here.

I'm still not sure why the Juanitas Mexican style is so much
lower though. Like sippy said, it might have something to do
with the lime treatment (which is mentioned in the info below).
Could also have something to do with the time of year it was
harvested, or it might even just be an entirely different species
of corn.

Hominy or nixtamal is dried maize (corn) kernels which have been treated with an alkali.

The traditional U.S. version involves soaking dried corn in lye-water (sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide solution), traditionally derived from wood ash, until the hulls are removed. Mexican recipes describe a preparation process consisting primarily of cooking in lime-water (calcium hydroxide). In either case, the process is called nixtamalization, and removes the germ and the hard outer hull from the kernels, making them more palatable, easier to digest, and easier to process.

Commercially available canned hominy may have a slightly stronger scent when compared to the traditional preparation.
The earliest known usage of nixtamalization was in what is present-day Guatemala around 1500–1200 BC. It affords several significant nutritional advantages over untreated maize products. It converts some of the niacin (and possibly other B vitamins) into a form more absorbable by the body, improves the availability of the amino acids, and (at least in the lime-treated variant) supplements the calcium content, balancing maize's comparative excess of phosphorus.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:56 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

bobo, that is really GREAT information. Thank you.

I wish I was going on that low carb cruise, so I could ask her! (Aside from the fact that do I ever need a vacation). I suppose I can go on her blog and send an email.

Anyway, I have read that acidity of lime/lemons significantly lowers the glycemic response of foods. Maybe that has something to do with it. Great information you found!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #13

Growing up, Mom made hominy w/ tomatoes, onions and garlic. You could garnish it with pico de gallo or salsa too. Yum! On a rare RARE occassion she made menudo. I only remember it ONCE in my life....cause I came home to a foul smell in the garage. Mom had plugged in the crockpot and had the menudo cooking in the garage so she wouldn't stink up the house Gotta love her!

Carolyn: I was actually wondering what store you got it at. But I guess if ya got Mexican style hominy in Kansas SURELY I can get it in Texas! I'll check out where it's available here.

P.S - I just had a rush of memories go through my head. My Mom use to share stories about her Mom, Aunts & Grandma grinding corn and making nixtamal (mainly for tamale masa).... They'd make corn tortillas, atole, bizcochitos, etc etc. Precious memories! I wish I could go back in time to witness it all
2003 - (443lbs to 429lbs) 14 lost, 2004 - (429 lbs to 306lbs) 123 lb lost (WLS 1/15/04), 2005 - (306lbs to 260lbs) 46 lbs lost, 2006 - (260lbs to 236lbs) 23 lbs lost, 2007 - 21 LB GAIN (236 (AFTER HAVING BABY) - 257 ) 2008- (257 to 231) 25 lbs lost!), 2009 -(231 -?)
<>< Dear Sweet Jesus, I pray that I may walk by your side as you guide me down my path. Hold my hand, Dear Lord, and never let me stray. <><

Last edited by SnowWhite; 12-14-2008 at 09:26 AM..
Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jill72
Stats: 162/125/120's
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/31/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
...and had the menudo cooking in the garage so she wouldn't stink up the house Gotta love her!
That reminded me that years ago my mother-in-law (God rest her beautiful soul) gave me a crockpot with a note to try the corned beef/cabbage recipe in the booklet that came with it. I did and got nothing but complaints about how bad the house smelled. I actually liked the dish, so from then on I'd assemble everything in the crockpot then cook it in the garage LOL!!
jill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #15
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:
Growing up, Mom made hominy w/ tomatoes, onions and garlic. You could garnish it with pico de gallo or salsa too. Yum! On a rare RARE occassion she made menudo. I only remember it ONCE in my life....cause I came home to a foul smell in the garage. Mom had plugged in the crockpot and had the menudo cooking in the garage so she wouldn't stink up the house Gotta love her!

Carolyn: I was actually wondering what store you got it at. But I guess if ya got Mexican style hominy in Kansas SURELY I can get it in Texas! I'll check out where it's available here.

P.S - I just had a rush of memories go through my head. My Mom use to share stories about her Mom, Aunts & Grandma grinding corn and making nixtamal (mainly for tamale masa).... They'd make corn tortillas, atole, bizcochitos, etc etc. Precious memories! I wish I could go back in time to witness it all
That is when I first had hominy was in my ex-MIL's menudo when I lived in El Paso, TX. I hated the tripe but the hominy wasn't bad. Her tamales were excellent!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #16

jill & Lora:
Old 12-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #17

FYI: I looked at my can of HCF brand hominy and all it says is per 1/2 c. 13 g carbs. No mention of fiber. I looked at my can of corn for comparison. Per 1/2 c. 11 grams of carbs and I think it was 3 (or 4) grams of fiber.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Snow White, you have to get the Mexican variety. I got Juanita's Mexican Hominy at the 99 cents store for 99 cents for a huge 29 oz. can! All the markets in my area carry it in the Mexican Food section.

The label states "high in fiber" and only 8 net grams carb per cup.

Some of the posts above (bobo's), show why this might be possible, in contrast to regular hominy.

I am going to use it instead of beans in my next batch of chili.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #19

Hey..great hominy information..I was even eyeballing the hominy to make a potato salad.
I would leave the hominy whole (rinse it well and pat it dry)..then add mayo and whatever you make your tater salad out of...
Old 12-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Carolyn, what a terrific idea. If you try it, please let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #21
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
Tagging this thread - would love to make a good lowcarb posole.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:

You can get it at Super Walmart in Texas.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I make Char's pork green chile verde in the crockpot--and I always add a can of Mexican hominy--just makes the dish perfect and I don't believe the additional carbs have ever caused me a problem--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #24

Gallery: Determinedtolose
I wonder if fresh hominy is the same amount of carbs? My mom makes menudo for New Years morning, if the carbs are not bad, I may eat some.
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: somethingblue2u
Stats: 190/195/150
WOE: Atkins for Life
Start Date: 2nd time October 2007
I love hominy and I love Pazole! I had no idea mexican hominy is so low in carbs, no idea at all.
somethingblue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helper
Sippy--

Will be interested to know how the hominy works in the chili recipe. Don't forget to let us know--yea or nay.
Thanks, helper
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clyde
Stats: 167/118/110 Height 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 12/07/06
Carolyn: Did you ever test your blood sugar after eating this?

I just found 3 cans of it on sale at my Food Lion for 99 cents so I just had to put it in the cart. I hope this really is for real!

clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #28

No..I didn't..I forgot to test. However, I don't think it has made me gain. Of course, I'm not eating the whole can by myself, either..

I'm sure it is all about quantities and small portions, but its fun to have something different..
Old 12-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Hi Carolyn,

Have you heard back from Juanita's yet?

I looked at store brand Hominy at my grocery today,
and it was 46 net carbs for one cup. I still would like
to know how they come up with just 8!!!!

I hope it's true, I would love to work this stuff in a
couple times a month

Bobo

Last edited by bobo36us; 12-16-2008 at 09:14 PM..
Old 12-17-2008, 02:31 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cyberus
WOE: Low carb (Type 2 Diabetic)
The Juanita's brand is made in California so unless the label is a typo the fiber is not already deducted.
cyberus is offline   Reply With Quote