Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Retro!!!!! Thank you!!! I went and bought the pan today, so tomorrow is flavourless cake day!
Oh my Gawd, she's goin' for it! Definitely add 2 tsp choc pudding mix (instant) to the recipe above (if you have any on hand) and let us know how it goes.

I will definitely try your WF Caramel dip suggestions as I have several jars of the stuff floating around and no specific use for them anymore. Hmmm. I have some chayote "apples' I made with apple drink mix and splenda/cinnamon. I was thinking of putting a dollup of sour cream on top, but perhaps a sour cream/caramel mix as you suggest might be more apple pie-like.

Quote:
Dutchess Ouis of the FrankenLands
Hail! Hail!

Last edited by retroworx; 12-13-2008 at 08:01 PM..
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
RETRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE you!! These little cakes are freakin' awesome! They so totally remind me of Hostess Cupcakes--I ended up making them in silicone giant cupcake pan and I nuked them only 3 minutes (my micro runs hot)

My tweaks: I was out of Z-trim, so I sub'd Chia Gel--perfect--I also added Two TBS of PB2 to the flour mixture and I used Walden Farms Caramel Dip instead of marshmallow. I frosted with two Tbs ff cream cheese mixed with 1 Tbs PB2 and 1 Tbs WF caramel dip. They were to die for!!

I don't know why you say they are flavourless=-I thought they were absolutely delicious!

Bring on those lowfat lowcarb recipes Gal--you rocked my world with this one--I will be making them several times a week from here on out!

Ouis
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
RETRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE you!! These little cakes are freakin' awesome! They so totally remind me of Hostess Cupcakes--I ended up making them in silicone giant cupcake pan and I nuked them only 3 minutes (my micro runs hot)

My tweaks: I was out of Z-trim, so I sub'd Chia Gel--perfect--I also added Two TBS of PB2 to the flour mixture and I used Walden Farms Caramel Dip instead of marshmallow. I frosted with two Tbs ff cream cheese mixed with 1 Tbs PB2 and 1 Tbs WF caramel dip. They were to die for!!

I don't know why you say they are flavourless=-I thought they were absolutely delicious!

Bring on those lowfat lowcarb recipes Gal--you rocked my world with this one--I will be making them several times a week from here on out!

Ouis
Yay! I am soooo relieved that you didn't hate them.

Yes, they are a touch Hostess-like, aren't they? (What does that say about Hostess?? LOL) Back when I was first developing the recipe (wayyyyy back, as I've been tweaking these for, like, forever!) I had them named in my recipe file as Devil Dog Cakes. That was before I leached out some of the flavor in favor of lower cals and carbs, tho.

Glad your tweaks worked -- did you also use the 2 tsp of choc pudding mix, or was this without? Did the PB2 hold any pb flavor in the finished cakes?

Your icing sounds great -- I will definitely give that a go.

The version I made today with the choc pudding tastes pretty good -- I may have to amend the "flavorless" title. I used liquid Splenda instead of the quickpack to make up for some of the carbs in the pudding. The cake today came in with these stats: [COLOR="Red"]116 calories (that's 6! mini loves!!!)[/COLOR], 2 grams fat, 10 carbs, 21 protein. So [COLOR="Red"]each muffin/loaf is only 20 calories, 1.6 carb,[/COLOR] 0 fat, 3.5 protein. Wow, eat 2 of these and get the protein equivalent of an egg for half the calories.

Thanks for being the "canary in a coal mine" on these. Now that they've passed muster with someone who is not a blood relation to me (LOL) do you think we should pull the recipe which is buried in this Match thread and give it it's own thread, in search of other tweakers? They'd have to have the oat fiber, I think, which is key. . . .

I think this recipe would be good for Gluten-free folks, and could also be dairy-free if the protein powder were not whey-based. (The PP was added initially to boost the protein content for Gastric Bypass folks who need extra protein). . . .

Whadya' think?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I so totally do think it should have its own thread!! I confess, I just killed another of these--this time with some SF raspberry jam on top. I work very hard not to feel deprived as I cannot do high fat low carb--and these will go a long long way toward helping with that. I bet peeps who have the same problem would be more than willing to buy the oat fiber--I would sure love some other OF recipes--maybe that should be the title of the thread??
Old 12-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I so totally do think it should have its own thread!! I confess, I just killed another of these--this time with some SF raspberry jam on top. I work very hard not to feel deprived as I cannot do high fat low carb--and these will go a long long way toward helping with that. I bet peeps who have the same problem would be more than willing to buy the oat fiber--I would sure love some other OF recipes--maybe that should be the title of the thread??
Ouis:

Did you use the choc pudding mix in yours?

I sometimes use jam on top of mine too, tho I most often just eat these plain. I make SF jam mix that is lower cal/carb by mixing 1/2 SF Raspberry Jam (any brand low enough in carbs) with 1/2 Waldens Strawberry jam. Brings down the carbs/cals significantly. I keep a mixed jar in the fridge and just scoop as needed.

I use OF in all my baking so it may make sense to use that as the thread title. Let me give it some more thought and see what recipes I can dig up.

I'm so glad these will be a useful aid for keeping you on plan -- that's exactly their role for me. Not the gooiest, butteriest, yummiest baked good in the world, but a guilt-free snack that I can indulge in thruout the day. And not a terrible meal replacement if you're on the run either as the whole batch will give you all that protein. (Yeah, I've been known to do this. :blush Sure is more filling and lower cals than most protein bars. . . .
Old 12-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No--no choc. pudding--definitely tonight when I get home, I am going to make another batch--I don't think the PB2 added any flavour--so I will leave that out of the base but keep it for the frosting--

but I forgot that with the liquid portion, I added 1 TBs of FF creamcheese, and the guar gum in that probably helped with the silky mouthfeel of these incredible muffins!
Old 12-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I don't think the PB2 added any flavour--so I will leave that out of the base but keep it for the frosting
Yeah, not surprised to hear that the PB2 didn't really bring much to the table flavor-wise. I haven't had much luck baking with it yet -- it just seems to make things incredibly rubbery without retaining much flavor, at least in the small amounts I'm willing to use anyway (calories, dontcha know).

Quote:
I forgot that with the liquid portion, I added 1 TBs of FF creamcheese, and the guar gum in that probably helped with the silky mouthfeel of these incredible muffins!
Interesting. You may not need the cream cheese if you go with the pudding addition -- the pudding is probably adding some structure as well as moistness. BTW, I went with 12 tbsp water (up from 11), no black cocoa and no espresso powder with the 2 tsp choc pudding version. Subbed out the quick pack with scant 1/4 tsp sweetzfree.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well--I made them again just as you posted above--2 tsp pudding, no espresso, etc, sweetzfree--I also nuked them only 2.5 minutes--and they were much much moister and really delicious! I am going to have to figure out how to expedite making this recipe (making 3-4 baggies of the dry mix at the same time???) because it is fairly labour intensive, but oh so good, and so very filling!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well--I made them again just as you posted above--2 tsp pudding, no espresso, etc, sweetzfree--I also nuked them only 2.5 minutes--and they were much much moister and really delicious! I am going to have to figure out how to expedite making this recipe (making 3-4 baggies of the dry mix at the same time???) because it is fairly labour intensive, but oh so good, and so very filling!
Thanks for reporting!

Good to hear my tweaks with the pudding, etc are working for you, tho I myself wouldn't go so far as "delicious".

Yes, doling out each day's dry mix into baggies is what I plan to do to avoid all the dry measuring each day, but I haven't done it yet 'cause I keep tweaking my recipe and can't commit to one version.

Still, it's funny that we're both complaining about the time/effort it takes to make a 2.5 minute-6 minute cake. So 21st Century!

Last edited by retroworx; 12-16-2008 at 11:12 AM..
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lois7663
Carb s for matcha

Nutrition Facts
Calories in Matcha green tea powder

Serving Size: 1 gram
Amount Per Serving
Calories 3.0
Total Fat 0.0 g
Saturated Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 0.0 mg
Potassium 26.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate 0.5 g
Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
Sugars 0.0 g
Protein 0.0 g
Vitamin A 0.0 %
Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
Vitamin B-6 0.0 %
Vitamin C 0.0 %
Vitamin D 0.0 %
Vitamin E 0.0 %
Calcium 0.0 %
Copper 0.0 %
Folate 0.0 %
Iron 0.0 %
Magnesium 0.0 %
Manganese 0.0 %
Niacin 0.0 %
Pantothenic Acid 0.0 %
Phosphorus 0.0 %
Riboflavin 0.0 %
Selenium 0.0 %
Thiamin 0.0 %
Zinc 0.0 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Report as containing personal information

Some of these foods were entered by users and are subject to error.
Lois7663 is offline   Reply With Quote