Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 87
Gallery: Cassaroll
Stats: (115/110/110) 5'4"
WOE: Paleo low-carb
Start Date: August 2008
Grain-free sandwich bread?

Hello all!

I've not eaten grains for several months now due to intolerances, but I would really like to try making a low carb sandwich bread using flax, coconut, or nut flour (or some combination of those). I've searched the threads and found many great things about Spongebob's Flax bread, but I'm looking for something that isn't sweet and could be used for a grilled cheese or turkey sandwich. Please let me know if you low carbers out there have created some recipe that I could use.

Thanks a million!
-Cass
Cassaroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 38,475
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Have you tried the Revoloopsie rolls? They're easy and good! No grains either.

There is a sticky someplace - let me see if I can find it for you! BRB!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 38,475
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Here it is!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/re...buns-more.html

Don't let the length of the thread daunt you - there are LOTS of iterations and lots of comments - but the original recipe works just fine for me!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
gharkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,683
Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassaroll View Post
Hello all!

I've not eaten grains for several months now due to intolerances, but I would really like to try making a low carb sandwich bread using flax, coconut, or nut flour (or some combination of those). I've searched the threads and found many great things about Spongebob's Flax bread, but I'm looking for something that isn't sweet and could be used for a grilled cheese or turkey sandwich. Please let me know if you low carbers out there have created some recipe that I could use.

Thanks a million!
-Cass
Cass, the Spongebob bread is a substantial bread, and while the Revoloopsie rolls have their place, they are somewhat flimsy.

Here's a link to a great bread that is not sweet:

Flax Bread Recipe - Low-Carb Focaccia-Style Flax Bread

Don't be fooled by the sweetener. It makes it taste "real," but it doesn't make it taste sweet. I put this in 4" custard cups and bake them into hamburger rolls (cut them in half once they've cooled).
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!
 
theislandgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,471
Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
.... oooooorrrrrr....

you could use the SpongeBob recipe and just leave out the sweeteners and add a pinch of salt.

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 87
Gallery: Cassaroll
Stats: (115/110/110) 5'4"
WOE: Paleo low-carb
Start Date: August 2008
Charski, thanks for the awesome recipe link! I'll have to try those, they seem to be VERY popular on this board. Gharkness, thanks for your link too, that flax bread looks delicious! I have all the ingredients for that right now so maybe I'll bake some tonight. I also plan to try the spongebob bread, I just wanted something that wasn't flimsy as Gharkness mentioned and could hold up to pan-frying.
Cassaroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 38,475
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I personally don't find the Oopsies flimsy as long as they are refrigerated before eating - plus I add a tablespoon each of raw wheat bran and protein powder to mine - you probably wouldn't want the raw wheat bran though! BUT you could add a tablespoon of flax meal.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
BikerAng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Duvall, WA
Posts: 2,590
Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Oopsies aren't flimsy for me either. I do have to let them "dry" out for a day before eating them or they are a bit on the spongy side. I live in Washington though and it's pretty drizzly/rainy/humid here so I think that's why they are a tad wet. After a day of drying, they are amazingly bready and sturdy (I've made grilled cheese/turkey sandwiches and they turned out great). I've added a bit of xanathan gum to the whites before and they also make these more sturdy and the whites won't deflate when folding in the yolk mixture.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 17
Gallery: 1corinthians3:16
Stats: 199.5/199.5/140
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 12/10/08
ooh this is a great thread! I am now officially on South Beach and looking for good grain alternatives my first week.

Charski your additions to the rolls sound very creative - thank you. I take 4 tb. a day flax for my menopause (this totally alleviated all hot flashes within a month), and adding them to oopsies sounds very nice.

BikerAng, how do you dry out your oopsies? Not to sound like a moron, but I thought they had to be refrigerated?? Do you just leave them uncovered on the counter/or in the fridge for a few hours? I too have found them to lack oomph and be too moist.

Also the idea of adding xanthan gum is totally creative. How much do you add per batch?

Thanks!
1corinthians3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
vli1127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 4,963
Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Where is Spongebobs Flax bread recipe at?
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 24,525
Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
Cass, the Spongebob bread is a substantial bread, and while the Revoloopsie rolls have their place, they are somewhat flimsy.

Here's a link to a great bread that is not sweet:

Flax Bread Recipe - Low-Carb Focaccia-Style Flax Bread

Don't be fooled by the sweetener. It makes it taste "real," but it doesn't make it taste sweet. I put this in 4" custard cups and bake them into hamburger rolls (cut them in half once they've cooled).

That sounds more tempting than the oopsie rolls. I can eat this bread on my transition days! Thanks!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 87
Gallery: Cassaroll
Stats: (115/110/110) 5'4"
WOE: Paleo low-carb
Start Date: August 2008
Here's the recipe link for Spongebob's flaxseed bread:

FLAX MUFFIN/BREAD - all my research! :)


I'm really loving everyone's suggestions! Time for me to get baking...
Cassaroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,563
Gallery: Strawberry
I seem to recall someone adding a little protein powder to the rev rolls/oopsies to make them more substantial. (Anyone else recall?)
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #14
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 38,475
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I personally don't find the Oopsies flimsy as long as they are refrigerated before eating - plus I add a tablespoon each of raw wheat bran and protein powder to mine - you probably wouldn't want the raw wheat bran though! BUT you could add a tablespoon of flax meal.
Ya mean like this?
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!
 
BikerAng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Duvall, WA
Posts: 2,590
Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1corinthians3:16 View Post
ooh this is a great thread! I am now officially on South Beach and looking for good grain alternatives my first week.

Charski your additions to the rolls sound very creative - thank you. I take 4 tb. a day flax for my menopause (this totally alleviated all hot flashes within a month), and adding them to oopsies sounds very nice.

BikerAng, how do you dry out your oopsies? Not to sound like a moron, but I thought they had to be refrigerated?? Do you just leave them uncovered on the counter/or in the fridge for a few hours? I too have found them to lack oomph and be too moist.

Also the idea of adding xanthan gum is totally creative. How much do you add per batch?

Thanks!
I let them dry out in my toaster oven directly on the racks w/o heat (or else my cats will jump up on the counter and eat them, brats!) overnight. I would let them dry out in the oven, but I've forgotten they were in there and torched them a couple of times. In the morning, they firm up substantially and remind me of egg bread or brioche. I personally don't mind them a bit on the wet side, but DH likes them more dried out. I also bake them on parchment paper so they don't turn out greasy (DH doesn't like greasy "bread"). I store them in a gallon zip lock bag with the top open in the fridge after the initial "drying" so they can continue to dry out (but they usually don't last very long between DH and I). I use about a 1/4 tsp xanathan for the 3 egg recipe. I add the xanathan to the whites when they are just starting to get frothy then whip them until they are extremely stiff - they will not break down when you fold the yolk/cream cheese mixture. I omit the cream of tartar when using the xanathan also. Make sure to kind of smooth out the tops with your finger if using xanathan or else you'll have kind of pointy peaks on the top of them.

I've tried the flax breads, but the flax flavor is too strong for my tastes. The texture is pretty good though.

Last edited by BikerAng; 12-10-2008 at 07:22 AM..
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 17
Gallery: 1corinthians3:16
Stats: 199.5/199.5/140
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 12/10/08
Ang, thank you so much for your tips! Can't wait to try 'em. Great idea - drying them in the toaster oven. Like your husband, I too prefer my bread a bit more dry.

I'll be making up a batch this weekend, with your additions...already have a bag of xanthan gum in the cupboard. I'm good to go!

Thanks again.
1corinthians3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!
 
Erica L. Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,838
Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Okay-- this is a weird one. But I use the recipe for Pancakes made from pork rinds for my sandwich bread.

This is one of the recipes I have saved to disk, I have no idea where this came from. But here it is.

Quote:
PORK RIND PANCAKES

Ingredients:
½ of a 3 oz. bag of unflavored pork rinds
2 eggs
¼ cup of heavy cream
3 pkts. of splenda
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp. eggnog extract

Crumble pork rinds up until they resemble bread crumbs (put them in a ziplock bag…air removed…and roll with a rolling pin, or use food processor.)

Beat eggs well then mix with remaining ingredients and beat again.

Add crushed pork rinds to the egg/cream mixture and allow to set for approx. 5 minutes.

Mixture will thicken to a "gloppy" phase at this time.

Heat griddle with butter, fry until golden brown on both sides.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

The pork rinds need to be puffy, those that are super-crunchy don't work well for this. It is important that they be very well crushed, just one step above dust.

Remember to let is get to its "gloppy" phase, and don't rush it. While eggnog extract is optional, it really adds something. If you don't have any, substitute Vanilla instead rather than just leave it out.

** More Notes**

I have found these to be good sandwich bread substitutes for hamburgers and/or wraps. Also works well for a good old fashioned ham and cheese or even a grilled cheese sandwich. In this application, leave out the seasonings mentioned above, maybe add just a hint of garlic. Adding a bit of nutritional yeast may also give it a “breadier” taste. We'll see. Also, these don't seem to be too hard on my stomach. The make a nice snack, just as is-- and were nice with cheesy hot dogs, as well.
These things are awesome, and don't take a lot of time. I usually make a fair sized batch of them. They keep pretty darned well, and stand up to burgers well. You can also make them thinner or thicker by adjusting the amount of heavy cream you use.

Hope this is helpful.
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 87
Gallery: Cassaroll
Stats: (115/110/110) 5'4"
WOE: Paleo low-carb
Start Date: August 2008
Wow, that is definitely a unique recipe Erica! I never would have thought of that in a million years.
Cassaroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!
 
Erica L. Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,838
Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassaroll View Post
Wow, that is definitely a unique recipe Erica! I never would have thought of that in a million years.
It does make it easy to eat my burger at work. And it's the reason I can have grilled cheese sandwiches.
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:16 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member
 
OceanDreaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 720
Gallery: OceanDreaming
Stats: 250/174/155
Hmmm, interesting! Erica, what do they taste like more or less?
OceanDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!
 
Erica L. Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,838
Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDreaming View Post
Hmmm, interesting! Erica, what do they taste like more or less?
Kind of like a savory pancake. The texture is very close. Or maybe french toast without the sweet.
I like these 'cos I have wheat allergies-- and don't seem to tolerate even the whole seed grain breads well.
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:20 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member
 
OceanDreaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 720
Gallery: OceanDreaming
Stats: 250/174/155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Kind of like a savory pancake. The texture is very close. Or maybe french toast without the sweet.
I like these 'cos I have wheat allergies-- and don't seem to tolerate even the whole seed grain breads well.
Ok, definitely going to try these. BTW, I used to live in Seattle and miss it terribly. It's one of my favorite places on earth! Someday I know I will move back. I fondly remember Red Mill burgers--YUMMY!! And our little pooch just LOVED Magnusen Park. Such a beautiful view of Mt. Rainier at the lake there. Sigh...sure miss Seattle...
OceanDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!
 
Erica L. Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,838
Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDreaming View Post
Ok, definitely going to try these. BTW, I used to live in Seattle and miss it terribly. It's one of my favorite places on earth! Someday I know I will move back. I fondly remember Red Mill burgers--YUMMY!! And our little pooch just LOVED Magnusen Park. Such a beautiful view of Mt. Rainier at the lake there. Sigh...sure miss Seattle...
These are very good, and well worth the effort-- (actually, I think they are easier to make than real pancakes.

By the way-- we've got SNOW!
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member
 
OceanDreaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 720
Gallery: OceanDreaming
Stats: 250/174/155
Us too!
OceanDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.