Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Erythritol in cheesecake?

i made a tweaked version of the no bake pumpkin cheesecake (sorry i can't remember who's recipe it was at the moment)....a non-pumpkin version and different sweeteners.

i used powdered erythritol for part of the sweetener....after i poured it into the pan, i tasted the leftovers in the bowl...while it tasted great (a little too sweet i think) it was gritty from the E...will it dossolve and be smooth as it sets up?
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I don't know, but I don't think so. That grit is probably made of crystals. If anything, the crystals will grow larger. But let me know when you taste it again.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

nope, still gritty...and way too sweet and it didn't set up.

why wouldn't it set up?

3.5 8oz pkgs cream cheese
1/2c cream
1c sour cream
vanilla
too much sweetener, but i don't think it contributed to it not setting up

why do you think this didn't set up? should i leave out the cream next time?

i hate throwing this many ingredients out...plus it was sitting on a crust of ground pecans ($$) and almond flour tossed in melted butter. i soooo wish i could find a cheesecake i LOVE...preferably no bake. haven't had much luck with baking a cheesecake.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Didn't set up because there's no eggs (if baked) and no acid (e.g., lemon juice) or gelatin (if unbaked).

Baking would have helped with the dissolve...

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ahhhh....so that's what the lemon juice does? helps it set up? i have always wondered why there is lemon juice in those recipes. the recipe i used to tweak from (which was a no bake cheesecake) called for lemon juice, but i think that cream cheese is tangy enough without adding more tang to it...LOL!! so it actually serves a purpose?? it called for a cup of lemon juice, could i use less than that?

i made the original recipe before my tweaked version and it set up just fine, but i did use some lemon juice.

thanks for the info!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitchenwitch2
Stats: 162/135/130
WOE: Mostly vegetarian Atkins
Start Date: 7/2008
You might go ahead and try the gelatin route. I've had good success using it for chiffon and for other no bake type items. without the sugar, the carbs are lower than the lemon juice would be.
kitchenwitch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yeah, i have tried using gelatin...i don't care for the consistancy...i know, i'm picky, huh...i just don't like to feel like i'm eating jello when i want to eat cheesecake.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:56 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
Didn't set up because there's no eggs (if baked) and no acid (e.g., lemon juice) or gelatin (if unbaked)
Although technically, the acid in lemon juice does denature proteins/is responsible for 'cooking' the fish in ceviche, the quantities usually found in cheesecake are not sufficient enough to make much of a difference in this regard. The lemon juice is just a flavoring agent/has no impact in terms of texture.

But, yes, I agree 100% that baking would have helped. I am a little uncertain as to whether or not baking guarantees erythritol non crystallization, though. I always play it pretty safe.

Last edited by scott123; 12-10-2008 at 05:59 AM..
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well, i tried it again...halving the original recipe this time...i used sweetzfree and liwuid stevia...it set up a bit better than the ne with E...but still not as firm as the original recipe...the original recipe called for a cup of canned pumpkin...i subbed this for sour cream...everything else was the same. why would just subbing the sour cream for the pumpkin make such a difference in how it sets up? the original is perfect cheesecake conistency....and no bake, at that.

next i am going to try making this same recipe and aadd some sf pudding...i realize it has some gelatin in it, but i'm hoping for different results than the time i tried unflavored gelatin....we'll see, i guess.

i'd love it if anyone would be bale to share a no bake cheesecake without gelatin if you have one, and if you don't mind sharing.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Here's a cheesecake from AllRecipes that should set up well. It got great reviews, so it is tried and true! Just be sure the whipped cream is nice and stiff. I'd add 1/3 of the sweetener to the cream before whipping, and 2/3 to the cream cheese.

No-Bake Cheesecake

Crust:

* 3/4 cup finely ground graham cracker crumbs (could use nut flour crust)
* 3/4 cup pecan sandies cookies
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 3 tablespoons white sugar

Filling:

* 8 ounces cream cheese
* 1/3 cup white sugar (use powdered E or whatever you like)
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice (could use a teaspoon of vanilla as well)
* 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
* 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. In a bowl, mix together crushed cookies and graham crackers with melted butter and the 3 tablespoons sugar.
2. Press into a 7 inch springform pan. Place in refrigerator until ready for use.
3. In another bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/3 cup of sugar and lemon juice.
4. Whip cream, and fold into cream cheese mixture.
5. Spread into pan.
6. Top with sliced strawberries (optional). Freeze for 1 hour, covered with foil.
7. Place in refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.

HTH!

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 12-10-2008 at 09:45 AM..
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Pumpkin can't be subbed with sour cream. Although they might act like they are close to the same texture, the sour cream gets it's structure from a loose protein framework. When you stir it, it liquefies. Canned pumpkin, on the other hand, stays the same texture no matter what you do with it. By subbing sour cream for pumpkin, you're adding more water.

Without the thickening of the eggs in a baked cheesecake, sour cream (and regular cream) will add water to the already fairly soft cream cheese and make a looser/less rigid end product.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ahhhh....thank you scott! i kinda half wondered about that. what could i sub the pumpkin with?