Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 03:30 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Update ;-)

I received my ‘mini-spoon’ set yesterday and proceded to research the names stamped upon the spoons (TAD, DASH, PINCH, SMIDGEN, DROP) as they included no corresponding units of measure.

I found this interesting description at Ask.com… ;-)
[COLOR=#800080]Tad, dash, pinch, smidgen, drop, hint[/COLOR]
And,
[COLOR=black]SMIDGEN[/COLOR][COLOR=black] - A smidgen holds 1/2 pinch or 1/32 teaspoon. PINCH - A pinch holds 1/2 dash or 1/16 teaspoon[/COLOR].”

Using the following site I prepared a list of measurements to use with my spoons for measuring Sucralose powder and/or Liquid Sucralose (for aqueous solutions (ie: water based Liquid Sucralose ;-), the metric weight/volume relationship of of water is 1 gram = 1 milliliter).

Metric Cooking Converter:
[COLOR=#800080]http://www.france-property-and-information.com/cooking_converter.htm[/COLOR]

Metric Equivalences:
1 Tablespoon [US].…...……= 14.787 milliliter or gram
1 Teaspoon [US]………...…..= 4.929 milliliter or gram
½ Teaspoon [US]………...….= 2.464 milliliter or gram
¼ Teaspoon (Tad) [US]……...= 1.232 milliliter or gram
1/8 Teaspoon (Dash) [US]…....= 0.616 milliliter or gram
1/16 Teaspoon (Pinch) [US].….= 0.308 milliliter or gram
1/32 Teaspoon (Smidgen) [US] = 0.154 milliliter or gram
1/64 Teaspoon (Drop) [US]......= 0.077 milliliter or gram

let the ‘fun’ begin… ;-)

PS: Sucralose powder equivalences are found in post #142(p5) ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 02-11-2009 at 04:06 AM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 04:25 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I have those measuring spoons, but never knew what they actually held. Thank you.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #153
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bigdumbear
Stats: 260/251/180
WOE: Atkins (induction)
Start Date: February 2009
Hey Locarbman, thanks for all the helpful advice and measurements to make the liquid sucralose. I just got mine today. Mixed some up and had to experiment with the formula. Came up with an 8oz bottle that with 4 drops is equal to 2.5 packs of splenda (approx). I measured approx 2 tsp of powdered sucralose to the 8 oz of water. Seems to taste a lot better than splenda..doesn't have the aftertaste of splenda. Anyway...thanks again...bdb..
bigdumbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=black]You're very welcome ;-), glad to see you have joined the group! I’m working on using Sucralose powder to make homemade coffee creamer at present. I have been mixing Torani Hazelnut syrup half and half with whipping cream but have to add Stevia to make it sweet enough…am working on replicating the Hazelnut syrup using water, Sucralose powder and LorAnn Hazelnut flavoring for a sweeter product…endless possibilities with Sucralose powder… ;-)[/COLOR]

Last edited by locarbman; 03-03-2009 at 02:43 PM..
Old 03-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Update - Flavored Waters ;-)

I made my first Sucralose flavored water today...

[COLOR=black]Flavored Waters:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]1 liter Seltzer Water (I used Western Family $0.89, 0 carbs)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]?d(rops) (to taste) Loran Flavoring Oil (I used 10 drops Strawberry, 0 carbs)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]3g Sucralose powder (1/2t + 1/8t for 0.3g per 100ml as refractometer tested for commercial flavored waters, 0 carbs)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]A bit too sweet for me, will use only 1/2t Sucralose powder next time…but Yummy! ;-)[/COLOR]
Old 03-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Update - Homemade Sucralose Syrups

My LorAnn Oil Hazelnut Fireside Coffee flavoring arrived today and I proceded to make up a 750ml bottle of Sugar Free Hazelnut Syrup to mix with whipping cream for my coffee.

I mixed 740ml water with 7.5g Sucralose powder and 1 bottle Hazelnut flavoring (1/3oz or 9.9ml). Works as well as my Torani Sugar Free Hazelnut Syrup but is not cost effective for me ;-( I can purchase a 12 bottle case of the Torani Syrup at my local Cash & Carry for $43.08 or $3.59 per bottle. The ingredients for my homemade syrup cost $8.95 (7.5g Sucralose powder @ $0.76/gram, Hazelnut flavoring @ $3.25 per 1/3oz bottle). Anyway, it was a fun project...lol!

PS: Am still using Stevia powder to make it sweeter...it's cheaper than Sucralose powder... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 03-13-2009 at 06:05 PM..
Old 10-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quiet_observer
Stats: 5'9" 238/227/218/170
WOE: carbs < 40-80/day
Start Date: October 20, 2009
mixed up your facts a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo36us View Post
I have a gut of steel, so not a big deal to me.

I can tell you for a fact though that ALL sucralose
(including splenda) does contain chlorine.

Before you freak out though, you should know that
it is far less than you find in your everyday tap water!
just to let you know this is misinformation. Sucralose is bonded to chlorine, but then again sodium is chemically bonded with chlorine as well and people have had that for thousands of years as salt. Once chlorine has bonded with another atom you have a new substance that has practically none of the highly reactive properties of chlorine. Chemistry 101. Not being mean, I jsut didn't want anyone not to understand the facts and be scared by a chemical name. I'm going back to my glass of dihydrogen monoxide now. *sip*
quiet_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet_observer View Post
I'm going back to my glass of dihydrogen monoxide now. *sip*
that always makes me laugh
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Question on mixing powdered sucralose to liquid..

Is it possible to mix the sucralose too strong? By too strong I mean that it tastes bitter instead of sweet at all? I tried to make some whipped cream and added really strong mixed liquid sucralose to it and could not eat it as it was so bitter..anyone else have this experience? bdb
Old 11-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Yes, too much sucralose=bitterness. You only need a few drops of Sweetzfree to sweeten a cup of heavy cream. I ALWAYS make the same mistake, because I think if a little of any ingredient is good, than more of that ingredient is better.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbear View Post
Is it possible to mix the sucralose too strong? By too strong I mean that it tastes bitter instead of sweet at all? I tried to make some whipped cream and added really strong mixed liquid sucralose to it and could not eat it as it was so bitter..anyone else have this experience? bdb
LOL! You cannot, make a Sucralose powder/water concentration too strong. In fact, the strongest concentration I have been able to achieve is 26 grams Sucralose powder per 100ml water which I personally use and recommend, however, you can use too much of a strong concentration if you add more sugar equivalence than your recipe calls for. You might try using less of your 'strong' mixture in the future.

Many have found a sweetening synergy in using a combination of sweeteners (allowing a sweeter product, more like sugar, using less 'combined' sweetener) that seems to help with the 'bitter taste' problem. There are also a number of ingredients that tend to do less well with Sucralose than other sweeteners, ie: Sucralose and chocolate.

Perhaps others can help with more specific suggestions for your whipped cream...how much liquid Sucralose did you use? In how much whipping cream?

good luck! ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 11-30-2009 at 10:47 AM..
Old 11-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #162
Junior LCF Member

I used approx 1 c whipping cream and 15 drops of very strong liquid sucralose. I have made the liquid before but not this strong so I was trying to create the strongest mix but may have added too much. What are your recommendations on combining sucralose with to achieve a more balanced sweetness?

I had made some pumpkin cheesecake that I thought was sweet enough before baking but after baking it was not as sweet. My solution was to make a really sweet whipped topping for it but that did not work as it was really bitter and not at all sweet tasting..bdb
Old 11-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I used approx 1 c whipping cream and 15 drops of very strong liquid sucralose. I have made the liquid before but not this strong so I was trying to create the strongest mix but may have added too much. What are your recommendations on combining sucralose with to achieve a more balanced sweetness?

I had made some pumpkin cheesecake that I thought was sweet enough before baking but after baking it was not as sweet. My solution was to make a really sweet whipped topping for it but that did not work as it was really bitter and not at all sweet tasting..bdb
Well, as Soobee suggests, you may try 'just a few drops' of your very strong liquid Sucralose as Sweetzfree is also a very strong concentration (~25g Sucralose per 100ml water).

As for sweetener combinations, you may find posts by bobo36us (posts #38 and #39 of this thread), Kevinpa and Scott123 helpful.

I personally use a combination of liquid Sucralose and liquid Stevia in most recipes.

Hope this helps ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 11-30-2009 at 11:23 AM..
Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #164
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for all the help and the confirmation of what I had suspected. I will go and get some stevia today to mix with the sucralose. Do you know approx what percentage you go with the stevia..is it 50/50 or different.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks for all the help and the confirmation of what I had suspected. I will go and get some stevia today to mix with the sucralose. Do you know approx what percentage you go with the stevia..is it 50/50 or different.
I use them ~50/50 (by sugar equivalence, NOT by volume ;-)...especially in my SF ice cream... ;-)

Basic Sugar Free Syrup Ice Cream Recipe:

2c Heavy Cream (13.2 carbs)
1c DaVinci, Atkins, or Torani Sugar Free Syrup, choice of many flavors (0 carbs) [SUCRALOSE]
2c Sugar equivalent sweetener (1/2t liquid Splenda or Stevia is 0 carbs) [STEVIA]
2T Vegetable Glycerine (0 carbs)
3T Lecithin Granules (1.5 carbs) [or 3 egg yolks for a custard mix]
1/4t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
1/8t Salt (0 carbs)

You may find this thread helpful:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...id-stevia.html

Happy Low Carbing! ;-)

PS: You may find post #142 helpful in determining sugar equivalents for teaspoon measures of Sucralose powder...

Last edited by locarbman; 11-30-2009 at 11:59 AM..
Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #166
JRM
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JRM
I have been using liquid splenda for awhile and i use alot of it so i decided to make my own to save money, im wondering if anyone can share the cheapest place to buy 1kg of sucralose powder? Thanks .
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
I have been using liquid splenda for awhile and i use alot of it so i decided to make my own to save money, im wondering if anyone can share the cheapest place to buy 1kg of sucralose powder? Thanks .
Hi JRM,

You may find my Sucralose Refractometer tests helpful for comparing costs per 1 cup sugar equivalence from various sources of the liquid product:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/bl...g-results.html

1kg = 35.274oz, enough powder to make up more than a gallon of Liquid Sucralose... ;-) For a reference, ahfni.com sells Quick Sweet Sucralose Powder in 4oz bags for $72...36oz would cost $648 plus shipping...if you really need that much all at once (~2oz powder/cup water would make ~18 cups of the full strength liquid). I haven't found it personally necessary to search for larger amounts of powder but wish you success in your quest. Hope this helps... ;-)
Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #168
JRM
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the quick reply, i checked out your test results and very thorough! The reason i mentioned 1kg is because i use alot of it and the original poster mentioned 1kg for cheap:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo36us View Post
If you want to save a TON of money, you can buy it
directly from China.

They will sell you an entire Kilogram (2.2 pounds) for about $100 to $125!!!!

That would probably last you an entire lifetime!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #169
JRM
Junior LCF Member

Alright i just got my powdered sucralose yesterday, and here are my plans if anyone can help:

I want to make individual 60ml bottles as needed of liquid sucralose at maximum sweetness. Only 60ml so it doesn't go bad with no preservatives. I also bought one of those extremely accurate mini scales to weight it down to the point. If i want to end up with 60ml of liquid sweetener at max sweetness how much water/powder(in weight if possible) would i use? Also since i will have lots of left over powder how can i store it to keep the powder fresh as possible for as long as possible? Sorry for all the questions i have never been good with baking/measurements :P

Thanks you guys so much!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Hi again ;-)

Well, since maximum strength would be 26 grams per 100 milliliters of water, I would use a ratio 26g is to 100ml as Xg is to 60ml. Cross multiplying you have Xg = 26*60/100; Xg = 15.6g. Therefore I suggest you mix 15.6 grams Sucralose Powder in 60 milliliters of water to achieve a strength of 192 times sugar where 1/4t solution = 1 cup sugar equivlence. As for storage, I have had Sucralose Powder purchased in 2002 that is still in it's 'pristine' condition stored in my cupboard...just store it in a cool dry place and you wil have no problems...

Hope this helps... ;-)
Old 07-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #171
JRM
Junior LCF Member

Hi again, im finally getting around to making my own mix from powder as my premade liquid splenda just ran out, and im curious if i make 500ml of the liquid splenda, how long would it last before going bad? Will it get moldy or lose sweetness over time? Any help would be great, thanks!!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Hi JRM ;-)

500ml = ~2.1 cups...I have been making liquid Sucralose from powder in 1 cup amounts since 2002 using tap water and refrigeration...lasts for months with no 'moldy' problems so far... ;-) I have not heard any mention of it losing sweetness, if anything, it may evaporate a bit over time yielding a slightly stronger solution.

Scott123 in post #20 page 1 of this thread does recommend caution:

"2. Liquid splenda contains preservatives- preservatives that you can't walk into a supermarket and purchase. Everyone's tap water (or bottled water) has differing level of bacterial counts, but, for the most part, if you put it in a bottle for a few months, things will eventually grow. If you bake with it enough or make very small amounts of it, this may not be a problem, but if you make a lot, it could turn."

It really depends upon how quickly you will use your solution but I wouldn't worry as you mention you use a lot of liquid Splenda...hope this helps ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 07-04-2010 at 11:07 PM..
Old 07-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #173
JRM
Junior LCF Member

I just made my first batch up using 500ml/g of spring water and 130g of pure sucralose and so far im disappointed, its not near as sweet as the "Quick Sweet" brand liquid i bought from ebay, im not sure why as the amounts i used are the max strength. I normally use 2 drops in my coffee/tea but it takes about 4 to get the same sweetness with this mix. Maybe it takes a couple days to sit or something. Heres to hoping! What would happen if i added more sucralose powder, would it just not mix?

Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting!

The Quick Sweet Liquid Sucralose is a 25%w/v solution (per their website). That means 25g Sucralose powder per 100ml water. 500ml spring water would require 125g Sucralose powder to create an equivalent solution. A maximum strength solution would require 26g Sucralose powder per 100m water. 500ml spring water would require 130g Sucralose powder for a 26%w/v solution...which you created. I have no answer as to why it would seem less sweet than the 25%w/v solution??? You might want to confirm the accuracy of your 130g weight...if it was actually less than 130g you can add additional powder until excess powder remains in your jar, decant the liquid and you may, in this manner, achieve a maximum strength solution.

"sitting" would not, in my opinion, affect the level of sweetness...and, I found that when adding additional Sucralose powder to a 26%w/v solution, the powder did not go into solution. You might also try evaporation of your solution with gentle heating to achieve a somewhat 'super-saturated' solution which may increase its strength.

If you wish, you might contact me by private message to arrange sending a small sample of your solution for testing on my Splenda/Sucralose refractometer to confirm its strength...my refractometer test of the Quick Sweet 25%w/v solution did confirm a strength of 25g Sucralose powder to 100ml water.

Happy Sweetening! ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 07-06-2010 at 12:54 AM..
Old 07-06-2010, 02:41 AM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
Interesting!

Happy Sweetening! ;-)
Ok, so I am not a chemist and my CPA classes didn't talk about solubility - at least not of foods - but I seem to remember that warm water will dissolve more/better than cold water will. Looking at this site:

General Chemistry Online: FAQ: Solutions: Why does the solubility of gases usually increase as temperature goes down? (Despite the name of the page, it also talks about liquid solutions).

I see that my thoughts are borne out with Le Chatelier's principle. However, I suppose this isn't a real good answer, because once the solution cooled off, then the sucralose would precipitate out again, right?

This has attracted my attention because I also remember being quite underwhelmed at the sweetening power of the solution I created with powdered sucralose. It could be...and I didn't really want to admit it, but I am beginning to think it's true, that my source, which was a little bit "under the table," might have been less than reliable and the powder which I received, while quite sweet, may not be up to USP standards.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #176
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mamasylvia
Start Date: 3/19/11
Wow! I just got my powdered sucralose today and came here to look up how to mix it. I found so much information that I distilled it for future users:

MMMMM----- Exported for Meal-Master by Living Cookbook

Title: Splenda blends
Categories: Substitute, Try it
Yield:

---Bobo36us' Sweetener Blend (1/3 cup blend = 1 cup sugar)
1 c erythritol (powdered okay)
1/8 t stevia
1/16 t pure sucralose powder
---Liquid Sucralose commercial (1/4 tsp = 1 cup sugar)
1.87 oz pure sucralose powder
1 c water
---Liquid commercial Splenda 25% w/v solution
25 g pure sucralose powder
100 water
---Locarbman's Fiber-Fit substitute (1 tsp = 8 tsp sugar & 1 gm fiber)
2/3 t pure sucralose powder
16 t Fibersol-2
1 c water
---Locarbman's Dry-Use Blend (1/8 tsp = 2 tsp sugar = 1 Splenda packet)
1 t pure sucralose powder
12.5 T Digestive
- Resistant Maltodextrin
---Locarbman's Flavored Water
Loran Flavoring Oil; to taste
3 g pure sucralose powder
1 seltzer water

Sweetener blend: mix and powder it in a food processor

Nutrition (calculated from recipe ingredients)
----------------------------------------------
Calories: 0
Calories From Fat: 0
Total Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 17.2mg
Potassium: 5.7mg
Carbohydrates: 0g
Fiber: 0g
Sugar: 0g
Protein: 0g

Cooking Tip: 1/16 tsp sucralose = 3/4 cup sugar

Cooking Tip: 1/16 tsp stevia = 1 cup sugar

Cooking Tip: Water will only absorb up to 25% powdered Sucralose (by
weight) at room temperature.

Cooking Tip: Fibersol-2 and Clearly Fiber are brand names for digestive
resistant maltodextrin.

Cooking Tip: Fibersure is pure inulin, availale at any drug store or
Walmart in a blue canister.

Web Page:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...gestions/58786
7-make-your-own-liquid-splenda-6.html

MMMMM

Last edited by mamasylvia; 03-30-2011 at 10:23 PM..
mamasylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/170.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
so much valuable information here--I am saving it because somewhere, sometime, I hope to be just a smidgen as smart as the people who have posted here with their knowledge--thank you all so much for sharing

Jeanne
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #178
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mamasylvia
Start Date: 3/19/11
Last night I mixed up some liquid splenda by setting a cup Mason jar with a spoon in it on my gram scale and set the tare. Then I added 12 g of the sucralose powder (using the already-weighed spoon to solve the problem of splenda sticking to the spoon) and re-set the tare. Meanwhile I heated a cup of water in the microwave and slowly added the hot water until I had added 50 gm (or ml, water by definition weighs 1 gm/ml). Then I stirred to dissolve the sucralose. There were some little clumps I had a hard time dissolving but eventually it all dissolved and I capped the jar and put it in the fridge. I used it the next morning in my hot tea and 3 drops worked just great with no aftertaste. AND NO CARBS!
mamasylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #179
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Wow-this is a bit technical for me. I just want a carb free sweetener that is easy to use for baking. I checked ebay and what do you think about this?

Because pure sucralose is 600 times the sweetness of sugar the packets of splenda need to be mixed with other stuff to dilute it in order to be useful. Unfortunately, the mixing agent in powdered packets is made up of dextrose and maltodextrin, in other words "sugar" and "sugar", so a packet of Splenda has about one gram of carbohydrate, and a cup of Splenda granular has 24 grams of carbs.

So this is the solution!!!!

This 2 oz. bottle = 50 cups of sugar.
The Purest liquid form!!!
INGREDIENTS: Purified Water, Sucralose, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Bensoate.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #180
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Where are the chemistry experts when you need them? I'm referring to my question on that product on ebay.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote