Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cyberus
WOE: Low carb (Type 2 Diabetic)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Couldn't "large" amounts of the powder (like one tespoon) be mixed with a fiber filler, so that the resulting bulkier mixture could be easily measured for small servings? (A filler like say digestion resistent maltodextrin?)
Most likely the powders wouldn't blend evenly and you would get uneven results from spoon to spoon.
cyberus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Couldn't "large" amounts of the powder (like one tespoon) be mixed with a fiber filler, so that the resulting bulkier mixture could be easily measured for small servings? (A filler like say digestion resistent maltodextrin?)
Wouldn't we then have reversed engineered it all back to the commercial granular Splenda?
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Yes, it’s known as “Fiberfit” ;-)

Fiberfit (Available from Netrition)

Liquid Sweetened Soluble Fiber

New formula is twice as sweet as before - Each teaspoon of Fiberfit has the sweetness of approximately 8 teaspoons of sugar.

One teaspoon of Fiberfit provides one full gram of fiber in liquid form.

It is possible to mix, for example, 1 teaspoon of Sucralose with 2 teaspoons of Fibersol-2, for a powder mixture at 200 times sugar where ¼ teaspoon of the mixture would equal 1 cup of sugar…if 1) you don’t mind an occasional burst of sweetness, and 2) possible gastric distress (from the fiber) if you consider even lower strength mixtures.

These problems can be (and have been) solved by dissolving the powder mixture in water to achieve a usable, uniform strength with an appropriate mix of Sucralose and Fibersol-2. Both are white powders that form a clear solution when mixed in water.

I would just mix Fibersol-2 and water into my liquid Sucralose to obtain whatever strength sweetness and digestion resistent maltodextrin I desire…how about 1 gram fiber and 8 teaspoons of sugar per each teaspoon of the mixture?…or I could save all the math and just buy some Fiberfit... ;-)

PS: Fibersol-2 is available on-line for about $12 per 10oz container...

Last edited by locarbman; 01-09-2009 at 07:10 PM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
locarbman: It's so nice to "see" you again!! You were here back when I started - and you were the "Kevin" of that time. Sure miss all your experiments. I also bought sucralose powder from your source an eon ago. I still have 1 oz left. I told my daughter that if I die and you find a strange white powder in the cupboard don't freak out. I also told her it's worth a fortune so don't just pitch it. I make the liquid Splenda using your formula. Seems like a looong time ago.
I remember the picture you used for your avitar - you were holding a big fish. Hope you'll start posting again!

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much" ~ Mother Teresa
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw View Post
locarbman: It's so nice to "see" you again!!
LOL! It has been a while ;-) I've been low carbing for 10 years now, maintaining for 6. Met a lot of wonderful people along the way...don't do much experimenting now, have learned how make just about everything I want...the low carb way! It was hard in the beginning, I remember the thrill of our discoveries back then...it's a wonderland of low carb products now... I still love your chocolate cake recipe...make it for all my birthdays ;-)

Best Wishes to you and all my old (and new ;-) friends

locarbman

PS: Here's something for those who may be interested...

Formula for 1 cup Fiber-Fit equivalence (8 teaspoons sugar, 1gram fiber per teaspoon):

1 cup water + 2/3 teaspoon Sucralose + 16 teaspoons Fibersol

1 cup water = 48 teaspoons
Sucralose requires 384t (8 * 48) or 8c (384 / 48) sugar equivalence or ~2/3t
Sucralose Powder (1t is to 12.5c (600/48) as Xt is to 8c, X=8/12.5 = .64t)
Fibersol = 16t (48t / 3g/t)

Have fun! ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 01-09-2009 at 09:24 PM..
Old 01-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Well .. I went to the website of the ebay seller (since the ebay link wanted a verified ebay account) and bought a 4oz bottle of 25% JUST BECAUSE I'm not sure how long it will last at this potency level.

If I use it quick I can go back and get some powder and make it myself now that I got the "formula" but if it lasts a looooong time I think I'll be happier with shelf stable.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
I was thinking in terms of making a bulkier fiber-basesd (easily disolving) powder so that it could be kept on hand for dry-only uses (where the liquid isn't practical) and also as a way of keeping an easily measurable supply on hand that would not be subject to spoilage...it would not simply be reverse-enginered granular (or powdered) Splenda, because the stuff Mcneill makes uses digestible sugar to bulk (or distribute).

My specific concern was to avoid unneccesary carbs (a concern Mcneill Nutritionals has never taken any account of), not getting added fiber...I would continue to just buy the liquid Splenda, but am interested in the sucralose powder, for myself, for the sake of dry-only applications.

By the way, it happens that Mcneil is at the moment putting out a no-extra-carbs form of Splenda (Splenda packets with fiber), but as I posted in a different thread, it probably won't be around long.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I was thinking in terms of making a bulkier fiber-basesd (easily disolving) powder so that it could be kept on hand for dry-only uses (where the liquid isn't practical) and also as a way of keeping an easily measurable supply on hand that would not be subject to spoilage...it would not simply be reverse-enginered granular (or powdered) Splenda, because the stuff Mcneill makes uses digestible sugar to bulk (or distribute).

My specific concern was to avoid unneccesary carbs (a concern Mcneill Nutritionals has never taken any account of), not getting added fiber...I would continue to just buy the liquid Splenda, but am interested in the sucralose powder, for myself, for the sake of dry-only applications.

By the way, it happens that Mcneil is at the moment putting out a no-extra-carbs form of Splenda (Splenda packets with fiber), but as I posted in a different thread, it probably won't be around long.
OK, here goes… ;-)

The smallest measuring spoon I have is 1/16th teaspoon ;-)

We want the equivalent of 1 teaspoon Sugar per 1/16th teaspoon measure of a mixture of Sucralose powder and Digestive Resistant Maltodextrin (DRM) powder of which 1/8th teaspoon would = 2 teaspoons sugar equivalence to sweeten 1 cup of coffee ;-)

To make up this mixture using the smallest ‘measurable’ amount of Sucralose, ie: 1/16th teaspoon Sucralose powder, you would have 37.5 teaspoons sugar equivalence (1t is to 600t as 1/16t is to Xt Sucralose powder, X = .0625 (1/16) * 600 = 37.5t)

Mixed with 2.34 teaspoons DRM (37.5t * .0625t (1/16) = 2.34t)

Formula #1 - 1/16th teaspoon Sucralose Powder + 2.34 teaspoons Digestive Resistant Maltodextrin Powder = 2.34 teaspoons LCF Stuff ;-)

Or, for a larger batch,

Formula #2 - 1 teaspoon Sucralose Powder + 12.5 Tablespoons DRM Powder = 12.5 Tablespooons LCF “Splenda Packet Dry Mix” where 1/16th teaspoon = 1 teaspoon sugar equivalence and 1/8th teaspooon = 2 teaspoons sugar equivalence (= 1 Splenda Packet ;-)

Better mix it up real good!...with a whisk perhaps?...good luck! ;-)

Wow! We’re 'almost' as good as McNeil… ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 01-10-2009 at 02:37 PM..
Old 01-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #99
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Locarbman:

Man, we missed you..I was just thinking about ya the other day, no kidding..We have missed all your input..Hope you will continue to post..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Locarbman:

Man, we missed you..I was just thinking about ya the other day, no kidding..We have missed all your input..Hope you will continue to post..
LOL! Here you go: ;-)

The “dry” Sucralose measuring problem:

First, the liquid products:

Liquid Splenda: “1/4 teaspoon = 48 teaspoons sugar equivalence (Strength 600 times sugar)”
1 teaspoon = 192 teaspoons sugar equivalence
1 Tablespoon = 576 teaspoons sugar equivalence

Sweetzefree: “1/4 teaspoon = 48 teaspoons sugar equivalence (Strength 200 times sugar)”

25% Solution: “1/4 teaspoon = 48 teaspoons sugar equivalence at 25g Sucralose per 100 milliliter water (Strength 200 times sugar)”

Fiberfit: “1 teaspoon = 8 teaspoons sugar equivalence (Strength 8 times sugar)”
1 Tablespoon = 24 teaspoons sugar equivalence

Second, how do we measure “dry” Sucralose? By Volume? By Weight?

By Volume:

Literature Consensus: “Sucralose (dry) = approximately 600 teaspoons sugar equivalence per teaspoon”
1 Tablespoon = ~1800 teaspoons sugar equivalence

Volume to Weight Relationship:

Global Food Industry: “Sucralose bulk density = 0.7 Grams per Cubic Centimeter”
28.35g/oz / 0.7g/cc = 40.5cc per ounce or 2.74 Tablespoons per ounce
1 Tablespoon = ~10.35 grams

AZJeanne, locarbman: 1oz = ~4 Tablespoons per ounce
1 Tablespoon = ~7.02 grams

Medicine Shoppe Pharmacy: “Sucralose powder = 2.07 Grams per teaspoon (5ml)”
28.35g/oz / 2.07g/t = 13.7t or 4.57 Tablespoons per ounce
1 Tablespoon = ~6.2 grams

There appears to be considerable discrepancy in the weight to volume measures I have found so far (above). There is also the weight error factor related to accuracy of scales…the tolerance of my scale is the nearest +/- 1/8 ounce, 1 gram).

Although there are also problems with volume measures (measuring spoons ;-) involving the “fluffy and sticky” nature of Sucralose Powder, I prefer them to weight measures at this point and find the liquid forms preferable for a more accurate measure in my recipes.

Your Guess about dry weight measures is as good as mine…any further opinions or suggestions? ;-)

PS: Go Steelers!!!

Last edited by locarbman; 01-11-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Old 01-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbinChica
Stats: 183/175.7/145
i'm trying to understand how it's saving carbs? Isn't Splenda pure sucralose anyway? What's the carby-additive in splenda? Please advise!
LowCarbinChica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #102
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbinChica View Post
i'm trying to understand how it's saving carbs? Isn't Splenda pure sucralose anyway? What's the carby-additive in splenda? Please advise!
Most often its the filler maltodextrin added to make it pourable. Liquid sucralose doesn't contain this.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you locarbman! I'll be placing an order with American Health Foods and Ingredients.

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 01-12-2009 at 10:02 AM..
Old 01-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbinChica View Post
Granulated splenda packets or otherwise contain filler materials like maltodextrin and DEXTROSE (sugar), while the amount may be minuscule if you are the kind of user that puts 1-2 packets in a cup of coffee several times a day that *will* add up carbwise
Old 01-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Those interested in the accuracy of their liquid Sucralose concentrations may find this site interesting… ;-)

"Digital Refractometer for Sucralose and SPLENDA Brand Sweetner

How Sweet it is!

Sucralose is one of a variety of non-nutritive sugar substitutes. It is used in a wide range of products, including beverages, baked goods, desserts, dairy products, canned fruits, syrups and condiments. SPLENDA®, a product of Tate & Lyle, is a consumer-oriented brand of Sucralose that is individually packaged as a zero calorie sugar-substitute for individual consumption.

Until now, there has not been a convenient method available to test the concentration of either SPLENDA®-brand consumer sweetener or pure Sucralose in water. Researchers at MISCO have developed the first-ever direct reading digital refractometer capable of reading both pure Sucralose solutions, and for solutions containing the SPLENDA®-brand consumer sweetener.

The Sucralose/SPLENDA® Refractometer is a dual-scale refractometer which relies on the proprietary “optical engine” in MISCO’s Palm Abbe Refractometer platform to instantly and accurately measure the concentration of pure Sucralose solutions, or the concentration of solutions containing consumer-based SPLENDA® brand sweetener."

MISCO Palm Abbe Digital Refractometer for Sucralose and Splenda

I’m going to call to ask how this instrument works and in what form the results are produced...will let you know... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 01-13-2009 at 04:55 PM..
Old 01-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #106
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I get the awful aftertaste with Splenda, do you get this with the sucralose?
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
I get the awful aftertaste with Splenda, do you get this with the sucralose?
vli1127, I have never noticed 'an awful aftertaste' with either Splenda or Sucralose, when used in proper amounts...of course, I'm a pipe smoker... ;-)

Regarding the Digital Refractometer for Sucralose and SPLENDA Brand Sweetner

I found the information I wanted in the Palm Abbe Brochure at the above site and ordered one (Product PA202X-332-336) for $435.00 plus $8.33 shipping (2 lbs). Will let you know how it performs. I'm hoping to make a more accurate measure of Sucralose to water for my concentrations. Have been 'flying blind' for the past 6 years ;-)

I'll let you know how it works out...and plan to offer a free reading of your samples, if it is effective, (for those who do not wish to purchase one of your own ;-)

This looks like fun LOL!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Update ;-)

Greetings,

Thank you for your order. I wanted to advise you that the PA 202 is
currently on back order. We are looking at be able to ship in 2 weeks.

We apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

Cordially,

Kathy Widing
Sales/Technical Support
kwiding@misco.com
Phone: 216-831-1000 Ext.210
MISCO REFRACTOMETER
3401 Virginia Rd. Cleveland, OH 44122
Refractometer Resource - MISCO Refractometer Buyers' Guide [HOME]
Toll Free; 800-358-1100 Ext.210
Fax: 216-831-1195

Must be a 'RUN' on this product? ;-)
Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VanjaJames
Stats: 150/130/125 5'5''
WOE: Spartan Diet, MEVY/Candida diet
Start Date: 10/2008
Awwwww well when you get it you will have to show us what your concentrations are
VanjaJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #110
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
I found the information I wanted in the Palm Abbe Brochure at the above site and ordered one (Product PA202X-332-336) for $435.00 plus $8.33 shipping (2 lbs).
Whoah, 443 bucks!?!

Isn't this a little bit of the cart before the horse? You can buy an amazingly accurate digital scale for about half of that. That way, you'd know the quantity of sucralose you're adding to the water, before it's added, rather than after.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

If anyone is a Ez-sweetz user the Quick Sweet (which I just got in the mail last night) seems to be the same concentration .. at least it took the same number of drops to sweeten my 2qt of kool aid.
Given the price difference I'm switching thats for sure.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
Whoah, 443 bucks!?!

Isn't this a little bit of the cart before the horse? You can buy an amazingly accurate digital scale for about half of that. That way, you'd know the quantity of sucralose you're adding to the water, before it's added, rather than after.
You can get a scale good for 0.1g for under $50 actually.

However, the refractometer will let you know if you are using the same amount of powder and get different results something is awry somewhere
Old 01-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
Whoah, 443 bucks!?!

LOL! You're right! ;-) But, I would still wonder if my assumption of 600 times sugar for the product was really true...and, will be able to compare the Best Body Product with the other to see if they are really the same. [Adding that this instrument may not answer these questions, may only confirm the strength of the product used in the solution, will know more later ;-)]

I can, however, confirm that the most accurate gram weight 'really' produces the strength I expect (can always add a little more Sucralose or a little more water to adjust to the desired 'accurate' strength). I know, I may be chasing shadows but, figured I'd be the (how do you spell guinia? ;-) pig and test this new device for all of us... ;-)

Thank you cyberus...glad to know the Quick Sweet solution works! ;-)

PS: I received a telephone call this morning from MISCO Products (from Kathy Widing herself ;-) apologizing for the delay, she says the product will be shipped around the last week of January. I asked if the delay was due to orders of the Sucralose version of the Palm Abbe 2, she said no, the device appears to be popular for numerous applications at this time. She also confirmed that the results will display the strength in grams per milliliter. Will keep you advised ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 01-15-2009 at 01:39 PM..
Old 01-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
may be chasing shadows but, figured I'd be the (how do you spell guinia? ;-) pig
It's really quite nice that you're willing to go SO out on a limb for this. I read your message earlier and looked at the link, and thought to myself: "he'll NEVER buy this!"

Little did I know......

FYI: it's "guinea" pig :-) (but only since you asked - I try not to be the spelling police)
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
LOL! You're right! ;-) But, I would still wonder if my assumption of 600 times sugar for the product was really true...and, will be able to compare the Best Body Product with the American Health Product to see if they are really the same. [Adding that this instrument may not answer these questions, may only confirm the strength of the product used in the solution, will know more later ;-)]

I can, however, confirm that the most accurate gram weight 'really' produces the strength I expect (can always add a little more Sucralose or a little more water to adjust to the desired 'accurate' strength). I know, I may be chasing shadows but, figured I'd be the (how do you spell guinia? ;-) pig and test this new device for all of us... ;-)

Thank you cyberus...glad to know the Quick Sweet solution works! ;-)

PS: I received a telephone call this morning from MISCO Products (from Kathy Widing herself ;-) apologizing for the delay, she says the product will be shipped around the last week of January. I asked if the delay was due to orders of the Sucralose version of the Palm Abbe 2, she said no, the device appears to be popular for numerous applications at this time. She also confirmed that the results will display the strength in grams per milliliter. Will keep you advised ;-)

locarbman, perhaps you could effectively defray some of the cost by inviting others to visit you, like scholars visiting the library at Alexandria, to use the machine (with the informal understanding that they will make an offering, perhaps in low carb foodstuffs)...(I would not be among them, being in the category of lazy food-geek.)
Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=#333333]gharkness & CreekWatcher, don’t worry about my being able to afford this device. My major annual expense now is bait for fishing… ;-) As a Chemistry Major, in my undergraduate years at UCLA, I found playing around with new devices intriguing…had to finally give up my sliderule when pocket calculators came out ;-( As for low carb foodstuffs, LOL! You should see my basement pantry!!! But thanks for your suggestion… ;-)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]Received my FiberSol today, am going to try mixing up some LCF “stuff” ;-) to see if it is at all possible to attain a uniform mixture of 1/16th teaspoon Sucralose in 2 1/3 teaspoons Fibersol…am not holding my breath…but hope it works...lol![/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]PS: Ordered "Quick Sweet" Liquid Sucralose today for testing when my refractometer arrives... ;-)[/COLOR]

Last edited by locarbman; 01-16-2009 at 01:02 PM..
Old 01-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Update - Sucralose/Fiber dry mix

Quote:
It works!!! But...

I just finished mixing Formula #1 - 1/16th teaspoon Sucralose with 2 1/3 teaspoon Twin Labs FiberSol...put 1/8th teaspoon of the mixture in a steaming cup of coffee (with a little whipping cream ;-) and found it delightful...am sipping as I type ;-)

The Twin Labs 10oz FiberSol is a brown, rather coarse powder which appears to mix easily with the white, fluffy Sucralose powder, resulting in a lighter brown colored mix (stirred with a spoon for about 1 minute).

I was surprised to find on the lable that Twin Labs 10oz FiberSol is not a pure fiber powder...other ingredients include: Citric Acid, Aspertame, Orange flavor. ;-( The white, pure fiber powder I was expecting is, apparently, the product Fibersol-2.

Fibersol®-2 is a soluble dietary fiber (90% min. dsb). Fibersol®-2 is produced from corn starch by pyrolysis and subsequent enzymatic treatment (similar to the process to manufacture conventional maltodextrins) to purposefully convert a portion of the normal alpha -1,4 glucose linkages to random 1,2-, 1,3-, and 1,4- alpha or beta linkages. The human digestive system effectively digests only alpha 1,4- linkages; therefore the other linkages render the molecules resistant to digestion. Thus, Fibersol®-2 is GRAS as maltodextrin, resistant to human digestion, and conforms to all working industrial and scientific definitions of dietary fiber.

Fibersol®-2 was originally produced in Japan and used in Japan for a number of years, but the production capacity was not sufficient to meet anticipated worldwide demand. Now Fibersol®-2 is produced in Clinton, Iowa, through an agreement with Archer Daniels Midland Company. Operational since 1999, this facility provides Fibersol®-2 throughout the world.

Fibersol-2 may be a better candidate for mixing our equivalent to Splenda Packets...if and when it becomes available (apparently the same problem we formerly had with Sucralose, available only in large quantities for large commercial applications)...will have to order some then...in the mean time Twin Labs FiberSol is the only product I can find...any other alternatives, suggestions? ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 01-16-2009 at 04:10 PM..
Old 01-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Oops, ran out of time on previous post… ;-( I did find this product that may work…

FoodScience of Vermont Clearly Fiber:

Supplement Facts:

Clearly Fiber™ a fiber supplement to support intestinal regularity, and maintenance of cholesterol, triglyceride, and blood sugar levels within normal ranges.*

Clearly Fiber™ is a sugar-free, low calorie, all natural fiber product from digestion-resistant Maltodextrin.

Clearly Fiber™is different from other fiber products: no grit, no lumps, no flavor. It dissolves clearly in any cold or hot drink. It won't change the texture, taste or color of your favorite soft food or beverage. Add Clearly Fiber™ to water, coffee, soda, yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal, pudding, mashed potatoes, juice, and even sauces or soups. The possibilities are endless.

Clearly Fiber™ is an excellent source of fiber as well as a natural way to support proper bowel function, cholesterol levels, and healthy intestinal microflora.*

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 2 Teaspoons
Servings per Container: 30

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 22*
Total Carbohydrate 5 g* 2%
Total Dietary Fiber 5 g* 20%
Soluble Fiber 5 g* *
Digestion Resistant Matodextrin (Fibersol-2 brand)
5.85 g* *

*Daily value not established.
Free Of Citrus, egg, gluten, milk, sodium, soy, wheat, yeast, added sugars, starches, synthetic dyes, artificial flavorings and preservatives.
Directions
As a dietary supplement, mix 2 teaspoons (5.85 g) in any hot or cold liquid or food, 1-3 times daily.
Warnings
If pregnant or nursing, consult your health care practitioner before taking this product.
Disclaimer
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

It would appear from above that the entire 5.85g (2 teaspoon serving) is Digestion Resistant Maltodextrin...will order some and 'check it out' ;-)

PS: Found it for ~$6.50, 176g (~6oz) 30-2 teaspoon servings

Last edited by locarbman; 01-16-2009 at 04:51 PM..
Old 01-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Sucralose powder calculations…

Density:
Global Foods Industry - "Sucralose, as purchased, was Weighed and Found to have a Bulk Density of 0.7 Grams per Cubic Centimeter)"
Patent - "loose packed sucralose with a bulk density of 30 pounds per cubic foot is packed in a supersack which is 4 feet high" This calculates to 0.5 Grams per Cubic Centimeter.

I have decided to use 0.6 Grams per Cubic Centimeter for Sucralose powder in my calculations… This factor is the basis for converting gram weights to measuring spoon volumes... ;-)

Strength:
200 times sugar – ¼ teaspoon = 1.04 cups sugar equivalence per ¼ teaspoon solution.
192 times sugar – ¼ teaspoon = 1 cup sugar equivalence per ¼ teaspoon solution.

I intend to use the 192 times sugar concentration for making my liquid Sucralose

Solutions:
Liquid Splenda ¼ teaspoon = 1.04 cups sugar equivalence per ¼ teaspoon solution (200 times sugar).
Sweetzfree ¼ teaspoon = 1.04 cups sugar equivalence per ¼ teaspoon solution (200 times sugar).
Quick Sweet (solution, 25% w/v) ¼ teaspoon = 1 cup sugar equivalence per ¼ teaspoon solution (192.5 times sugar).

I intend to use 25% w/v as the most accurate solution for making liquid Sucralose…

25% w/v Solution (liquid Sucralose):

2.8 Tablespoons (25g) Sucralose powder in 0.42cup (100ml) water

Or 6 2/3 Tablespoons (59.15g) Sucralose powder in 1 cup (236.6ml) water.

My final ‘SWAG’! (Scientific Wild Ass Guess! ;-) Any questions?

PS: Can't wait for my refractometer to find just what strength I've been using for these past 6 years...and to see if the commercial companies have been 'cheating'... LOL!

Last edited by locarbman; 01-17-2009 at 08:11 PM..
Old 01-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=black]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberus View Post
So whats the need to make 1 cup amounts and odd numbers?
[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberus View Post

[COLOR=black]Why not mix whatever container size of powder with an appropriate amount of water and be done with it?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Just curious[/COLOR]

For those interested in the convenience of ‘accurately’ ;-) mixing Liquid Sucralose, without the fuss of weighing to the nearest 100th of a gram or using approximate volume conversions, I would like to suggest that you may mix a 2oz container of Quick Sweet powder in 6T plus 1 1/2t water… ;-)

How much water do we need to mix with 56.7g (2oz*28.35g) Sucralose powder?
(25% w/v) Liquid Sucralose concentration requires 100ml water with 59.15g Sucralose powder
59.15g is to 100ml water as 56.7g is to Xml water. X= 95.857988ml water

Using the Online Volume Conversion site:
95.857 988 milliliter = 6.482 688 364 9 Tablespoon [US]
0.482 688 364 9 Tablespoon [US] = 1.448 065 094 7 Teaspoon [US]

Therefore 6T plus 1 1/2t water mixed with a 2oz container of Quick Sweet Sucralose powder will yield a concentration of 25% w/v Liquid Sucralose where 1/4t = 1c sugar (can be mixed in the container, less than 1/2c Liquid Sucralose to store... ;-)

Hope this helps...

Last edited by locarbman; 01-21-2009 at 08:53 PM..