Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #61
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
BikerAng, here the results of my polyd/e syrup testing

2 parts polyd
2 parts e
1 part water

Crystallization at room temp- slushy/sandy, extremely cooling
-----------------

3 parts polyd
1 parts e
1 part water

Clear, slightly less viscous than honey (at room temp)
Overnight- hairlike crystal formation (like frost on a window)/scoopable, creamy, not too cooling
-----------------

8 parts polyd
2 parts e
1 part water

Insufficient water to hydrate. Extremely thick syrup possible with patience.
-----------------

As I've mentioned before, inulin and polyd are pretty much interchangeable, so, from a syrup perspective if you want to reduce the cooling effect of 1 cup erythritol, you'd want to use 3 cups inulin.

Probably not the number you wanted to hear, but the good news is that this is just an inulin/erythritol/water scenario and that many other baking ingredients inhibit crystallization as well (including not/sugar). Unfortunately, every ingredient seems to inhibit crystallization to greater and lesser degrees and there is no existing literature that covers this. I can say, though, with a high degree of certainty, that inulin/polyd is a better inhibitor, ounce for ounce than just about any other ingredient used in baking. It's a bit of an oversimplification, but the larger the molecule (inulin/polyd molecules are massive), the more 'clutter' is created. Clutter prevents e molecules attempting to bond. It also prevents water movement. If the dissolved e molecules get trapped/can't go anywhere, they can't form crystals. No crystals, no cooling.

So, in other words, I can give you an idea of how erythritol crystallizes in the presence of inulin and water, but when it comes to baked goods, it gets incredibly complex. Just to be extra safe (crystallized e in baked goods is the pits), I always keep my erythritol as a proportion of my polyd. If I'm not using polyd, I make sure there are plenty of other ingredients involved and keep the e to a bare minimum.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
^You got it, rottinluv!

Hi sungoddess, their pure extract does not come in packets! Sorry if I didn't make that clear. It is linked at my blog to their Pure Stevia Extract that comes in a 1 oz container. It is VERY potent! Doesn't have erythritol or maltodextrin bulking it like in the packets. It is far too difficult to measure for daily use (1/32 of a teaspoon is perfect for coffee!), but great for baking.

The toothpick test works well for these brownies since they are not gooey.
Well that explains it then!! :blush::blush: Thanks for the explanation. I will get some of the pure extract.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KlingonBabe
Stats: Miserable/Sane/FABULOUS
I'm gonna try these after I've finished the Beachgirl's Cheesecake I made two weeks ago and the gooey pumpkin thingie.

That's the trouble with actually being able to exercise portion control with sweets. I seem to make them faster than I can eat them.
KlingonBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
BikerAng, here the results of my polyd/e syrup testing

2 parts polyd
2 parts e
1 part water

Crystallization at room temp- slushy/sandy, extremely cooling
-----------------

3 parts polyd
1 parts e
1 part water

Clear, slightly less viscous than honey (at room temp)
Overnight- hairlike crystal formation (like frost on a window)/scoopable, creamy, not too cooling
-----------------

8 parts polyd
2 parts e
1 part water

Insufficient water to hydrate. Extremely thick syrup possible with patience.
-----------------

As I've mentioned before, inulin and polyd are pretty much interchangeable, so, from a syrup perspective if you want to reduce the cooling effect of 1 cup erythritol, you'd want to use 3 cups inulin.

Probably not the number you wanted to hear, but the good news is that this is just an inulin/erythritol/water scenario and that many other baking ingredients inhibit crystallization as well (including not/sugar). Unfortunately, every ingredient seems to inhibit crystallization to greater and lesser degrees and there is no existing literature that covers this. I can say, though, with a high degree of certainty, that inulin/polyd is a better inhibitor, ounce for ounce than just about any other ingredient used in baking. It's a bit of an oversimplification, but the larger the molecule (inulin/polyd molecules are massive), the more 'clutter' is created. Clutter prevents e molecules attempting to bond. It also prevents water movement. If the dissolved e molecules get trapped/can't go anywhere, they can't form crystals. No crystals, no cooling.

So, in other words, I can give you an idea of how erythritol crystallizes in the presence of inulin and water, but when it comes to baked goods, it gets incredibly complex. Just to be extra safe (crystallized e in baked goods is the pits), I always keep my erythritol as a proportion of my polyd. If I'm not using polyd, I make sure there are plenty of other ingredients involved and keep the e to a bare minimum.

Thanks so much for this information Scott! Some recipes come out with very minimal cooling while others are extremely gritty/cooling. Looks like I have some experimenting to do! I've never tryied polyd, I may need to pick this up and try it.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Oat flour has plenty of fiber (unsoluble and soluble) as well as some starch. All three 'get in the way' of erythritol molecules attempting to bond with each other and crystallize.

Polyd, even though it's fallen a bit out of favor as of late (I leave and the whole place goes to pot ) is extremely effective in this role, has far less carbs than oat flour and provides sugary gooeyness/chewiness. It has been associated with tummy rumbles, but even a little goes a long way in preventing erythritol crystallization/cooling. Same thing for it's more 'natural' cousin inulin. For those sensitive to polyd/inulin, I think the fiber in Not sugar could help prevent erythritol from cooling as well (I think this is why Char's all almond flour version didn't have the effect).

Btw, 1/2 C. erythritol isn't bringing that much sugary texture to the table. It's easy to think that you're adding 1/2 C. of texture, but, with erythritol, it translates into more like about a tablespoon. It's a molecular weight thing. Since the e is giving you sweetness (when it doesn't crystallize) but not texture, you might want to rely on other less potentially cooling sweeteners. Since you seem to be able to tolerate xylitol, I would change the 2 T. from an option to a permanent fixture. Once you cut the e in half, it'll be a lot easier to prevent crystallization/cooling.
That's right, Scott, you left and the whole place succombs to digestive mass hysteria (just kidding, more or less). It's a gas to have you back!
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #66
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
That's right, Scott, you left and the whole place succombs to digestive mass hysteria (just kidding, more or less). It's a gas to have you back!
Thanks, I'm very fartunate to be here
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #67
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Determinedtolose
Quote:
Thanks, I'm very fartunate to be here
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #68

Lauren, I just made these brownies and I ate 2 of them warm with a small scoop of lc ice cream. I know, my bad. . . .but it was so good!! The batter even tasted good too!

I didn't have pure erythritol but it was mixed with some splenda, I used about 3/4 c of that and filled the remaining 1 c w/ brown Diabetisweet and some stevia. I'll know for sure how it's really going to taste tomorrow. But it was sure good right now!!

Oh and DH even loved them!!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:16 AM   #69

I just had a small piece of the brownie after sitting in the fridge over night and they are still fantastic!!
They are fudgy, chewy and moist and not cake like at all to me. The best brownie recipe I've tried so far. These will def be in my Christmas baking list!!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #70

Must bump!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #71

bumping because these are sooo good!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jill72
Stats: 162/125/120's
Start Date: 10/31/08
I just made these brownies. DH keeps wondering about all the weird stuff in the pantry (erythritol, xylitol, stevia, polyd lol) and I had some 'splainin' to do. My first attempt at low carb baking! They look beautiful (batter was really good - not weird tasting at all lol). I used half Hershey's dark and half regular cocoa powder. I wanted to see if we're sensitive to the xylitol, so I used the 2 T. of that with the 1/4 C. of erythritol. My batter wasn't really 'pourable'...it was thick, but light (not thick and heavy). I used a large spoon and filled my muffin cups halfway and put them on a cookie sheet.

I'll only be having a taste (for now), but DH will enjoy them, I'm sure. Thanks for a great (and easy) recipe, Lauren

Oh, and I'll definitely be putting the cranberries in the next batch.
jill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:23 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OceanDreaming
Stats: 250/174/155
Those brownies look wonderful!

Last edited by OceanDreaming; 12-18-2008 at 12:35 AM..
OceanDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Thanks for bumping, Diana! Glad they worked out for you.

Jill, I feel ya with having to defend the weird stuff in the pantry, LOL. Hopefully your DH enjoyed the brownies!

Angie, give 'em a try!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #75
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Oh my Lauren, another winner. My only disappointment was that I did not add nuts to them, I have tried so many recipes and used nuts, only to dislike the end result and throw the whole thing out. But, these are great.

I made a double batch, used 1/2 regular cocoa and 1/2 of the Hershey's Dark cocoa. I used erythritol but instead of adding stevia, I used a Splenda quikpack, this for a double batch and they are just right. I also made them in muffin top pans, so they made a big flat cookie.

Thanks for the recipe and something I like the erythritol in. Usually it has too much cooling for me but in this it is very good.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Oh my Lauren, another winner. My only disappointment was that I did not add nuts to them, I have tried so many recipes and used nuts, only to dislike the end result and throw the whole thing out. But, these are great.

I made a double batch, used 1/2 regular cocoa and 1/2 of the Hershey's Dark cocoa. I used erythritol but instead of adding stevia, I used a Splenda quikpack, this for a double batch and they are just right. I also made them in muffin top pans, so they made a big flat cookie.

Thanks for the recipe and something I like the erythritol in. Usually it has too much cooling for me but in this it is very good.
Good to know that they work with Splenda, Buffy! Your mix of cocoa sounds good. Bet they have great flavor that way! I have a muffin top pan and might have to try these that way for brownies cookies! Glad the brownies worked out for you.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #77
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
After they cooled they do have a little more of a cooling effect, but somehow it works with the chocolate. I did make a buttercream frosting with powdered whey low which is very good on them, just frosted one and stored the rest and have been nibbling away at it all evening.
Oh, and tested my blood sugar 2 hours after eating and it was 106, which is just fine for a type 2 after a meal.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:29 AM   #78

I just love these brownies too! I used the dutch process dark cocoa and they were absolutely fantastic!
My sister who eats low carb, requested I make these for Christmas, so I'll be making a double batch.

I want to make these into a chocolate ball and dunk them in a chocolate ganache. I'll have to try that.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Lauren, thank you hon for posting this recipe awhile back.....I am just now getting around to making it. DELICIOUS

Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #80
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny View Post
Lauren, thank you hon for posting this recipe awhile back.....I am just now getting around to making it. DELICIOUS

Hey Linny.......is this your picture of the brownies you made? And did you use the original recipe as posted by Lauren? Thanks!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Yes, those are my brownies and I followed the original recipe......except I used IDEAL in the packets (xylitol with a few other sweeteners mixed in for balance). I used almost a 1/4 cup and then added the stevia.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Linny, your brownies look very good! Hope Lauren joins us again soon.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote