Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 04:12 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Determinedtolose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Our Walmart no longer carries Diabetisweet.
Ours either!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2008, 05:46 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Our Walmart no longer carries Diabetisweet.
Netrition does, but it's too late for that for Thanksgiving!
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Try Target, ours carries both brown and white Diabetisweet.
Tweaker Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
MMMM, need to make these ASAP!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #35
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Lauren, I finally made these. I cut a piece and ate it while still warm. They're sooooo rich. I thought I died and went to heaven. I used all almond flour. I cut a piece while it was still warm and put the rest in the fridge. I'll have another one, or two, hey maybe three, tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DBrown8614
Stats: 200/165/125
WOE: Dr. Atkins
Start Date: November 2003
I think even the drugstores have the Diabetisweet... I know ours does. You may want to try that...........right by the rest of the diabetic items. HTH
DBrown8614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #37

Gallery: Determinedtolose
I'll have to check out our Target, although I did order from Netrition already.

Thanks for the tip!!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #38
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I made these today too! I used all almond flour (didn't have any oat flour OR oats to make it with!) and added a teaspoon of Thicken Thin Not-Starch. I also used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa, so I should have upped the sweetener a bit more (I did taste and add more before baking but it wasn't QUITE enough!) - I used erythritol and stevia and there is NO cooling effect. I also added walnuts, and baked them in mini muffin pans so I have "brownie bites."

YUM!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #39
Gadget Gal

grrrr....server double posted me!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #40
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
The oat flour really does something to the erythritol to keep it smooth and not "cool" at all.
Oat flour has plenty of fiber (unsoluble and soluble) as well as some starch. All three 'get in the way' of erythritol molecules attempting to bond with each other and crystallize.

Polyd, even though it's fallen a bit out of favor as of late (I leave and the whole place goes to pot ) is extremely effective in this role, has far less carbs than oat flour and provides sugary gooeyness/chewiness. It has been associated with tummy rumbles, but even a little goes a long way in preventing erythritol crystallization/cooling. Same thing for it's more 'natural' cousin inulin. For those sensitive to polyd/inulin, I think the fiber in Not sugar could help prevent erythritol from cooling as well (I think this is why Char's all almond flour version didn't have the effect).

Btw, 1/2 C. erythritol isn't bringing that much sugary texture to the table. It's easy to think that you're adding 1/2 C. of texture, but, with erythritol, it translates into more like about a tablespoon. It's a molecular weight thing. Since the e is giving you sweetness (when it doesn't crystallize) but not texture, you might want to rely on other less potentially cooling sweeteners. Since you seem to be able to tolerate xylitol, I would change the 2 T. from an option to a permanent fixture. Once you cut the e in half, it'll be a lot easier to prevent crystallization/cooling.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:45 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Not to thread jack I am glad to see you back Scott...been a long time as I have read and former post that you and Kevin put together.

HUGS!
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:34 AM   #42

Gallery: SweetPoison2
Stats: 246/232/180
WOE: DASH Diet & HHCG
Start Date: June 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
grrrr....server double posted me!

It did? Got glasses?

SweetPoison2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:41 AM   #43
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I made these today too! I used all almond flour (didn't have any oat flour OR oats to make it with!) and added a teaspoon of Thicken Thin Not-Starch. I also used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa, so I should have upped the sweetener a bit more (I did taste and add more before baking but it wasn't QUITE enough!) - I used erythritol and stevia and there is NO cooling effect. I also added walnuts, and baked them in mini muffin pans so I have "brownie bites."

YUM!
I, too, used erythritol and stevia....but used Wonder Cocoa....seemed sweet enough before baking. When I tried them warm, the sweetness was "right on" for me. When I tasted one cold, it was chewy but not as sweet. So, next time I'll up the sweetener. Maybe add some Splenda. Also, no cooling effect.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #44
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPoison2 View Post
It did? Got glasses?

Smartazzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Old 11-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #45
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I, too, used erythritol and stevia....but used Wonder Cocoa....seemed sweet enough before baking. When I tried them warm, the sweetness was "right on" for me. When I tasted one cold, it was chewy but not as sweet. So, next time I'll up the sweetener. Maybe add some Splenda. Also, no cooling effect.
Funny mine had the OPPOSITE effect - they weren't sweet enough warm or even at room temp but now that they are chilled - they taste sweeter! I really like them.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #46
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
Same thing for it's more 'natural' cousin inulin. For those sensitive to polyd/inulin, I think the fiber in Not sugar could help prevent erythritol from cooling as well (I think this is why Char's all almond flour version didn't have the effect).
ED-ZACKERY why I thought I'd better add it in, Scott! And it worked perfectly.

I can't use the PolyD in even tiny amounts or I become a "noxious fumes emitter" - unpleasant for those around me. Even the cat wrinkles her nose in disgust and leaves the premises!

I think a lot of us have moved to the more "natural" sweeteners such as erythritol, xylitol and stevia - which explains the new levels of experimentation since last you graced us with your presence! It's sure nice to see you back!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
^^LOL Char, fiber does that to me too. Even flax. We want to be able to have our desserts in polite company, no?

Pam, glad you enjoyed! Loved your description of your reaction, haha!

CopperAnnette, so glad they worked for you! And thanks for sharing about making the double batch.

Quote:
Oat flour has plenty of fiber (unsoluble and soluble) as well as some starch. All three 'get in the way' of erythritol molecules attempting to bond with each other and crystallize.

Polyd, even though it's fallen a bit out of favor as of late (I leave and the whole place goes to pot ) is extremely effective in this role, has far less carbs than oat flour and provides sugary gooeyness/chewiness. It has been associated with tummy rumbles, but even a little goes a long way in preventing erythritol crystallization/cooling. Same thing for it's more 'natural' cousin inulin. For those sensitive to polyd/inulin, I think the fiber in Not sugar could help prevent erythritol from cooling as well (I think this is why Char's all almond flour version didn't have the effect).

Btw, 1/2 C. erythritol isn't bringing that much sugary texture to the table. It's easy to think that you're adding 1/2 C. of texture, but, with erythritol, it translates into more like about a tablespoon. It's a molecular weight thing. Since the e is giving you sweetness (when it doesn't crystallize) but not texture, you might want to rely on other less potentially cooling sweeteners. Since you seem to be able to tolerate xylitol, I would change the 2 T. from an option to a permanent fixture. Once you cut the e in half, it'll be a lot easier to prevent crystallization/cooling.
Thanks for the feedback, Scott! You seem to really have a handle on LC ingredients. I've read some of your posts from old threads and marveled at all of your knowledge.

I like to stick to my hippy dippy natural ingredients that my tummy can handle (even xylitol is still iffy, LOL) and that people can buy at Whole Foods. Thanks so much for the ideas, though! That is good to know about the molecular weight of erythritol and what it contributes to texture.

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 11-22-2008 at 09:52 AM..
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #48

Gallery: SweetPoison2
Stats: 246/232/180
WOE: DASH Diet & HHCG
Start Date: June 09
How did you get so wise and full of class, at such a young age?
SweetPoison2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #49
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
ED-ZACKERY why I thought I'd better add it in, Scott! And it worked perfectly.

I can't use the PolyD in even tiny amounts or I become a "noxious fumes emitter" - unpleasant for those around me. Even the cat wrinkles her nose in disgust and leaves the premises!

I think a lot of us have moved to the more "natural" sweeteners such as erythritol, xylitol and stevia - which explains the new levels of experimentation since last you graced us with your presence! It's sure nice to see you back!
Thanks!

So gums as crystallization inhibitors? Interesting... very very interesting They are long chain molecules, so it makes perfect sense that they would gunk up the works and prevent e molecules from bonding.

Speaking of long chain molecules that can't be broken down/digested by the body... is anyone experience digestive issues with not/starch/sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
I like to stick to my hippy dippy natural ingredients that my tummy can handle (even xylitol is still iffy, LOL) and that people can buy at Whole Foods.
If you want to avoid polyd because of potential digestive issues, I completely understand, but, if your concerns are of a crunchier nature, I highly recommend taking a second look at it. Regardless of the scary sounding name, polyd occurs all over the place in nature. In fact, if you ate vegetables today, you probably consumed a small amount of polyd. Do you know how beans get their bad rap? There's polyd in them. Just because the polyd you buy isn't extracted directly from a plant but made in a laboratory doesn't make it any different/any less natural/any less safe. Polyd is almost identical molecularly to inulin (aka FOS, aka chicory root extract), which, if memory serves me correctly, can be found at Whole Foods as a component of at least one of the stevia mixes. Inulin is very very crunchy stuff. I think they just boil the roots and then concentrate the liquid to a solid. It's also (like polyd) good for colon health/intestinal flora.

Whole Foods doesn't sell pure inulin (yet) because of the lack of demand and prohibitive cost. I'm sure health food stores in Europe carry it, though (where inulin is much more plentiful and less costly).

Anyway, some people can't tolerate polyd at all, while some can. If you haven't tried it (or inulin), you should- only to make sure you're one of the unlucky ones. If you can tolerate it, it makes a world of difference in the texture of desserts.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rottinluv
Stats: 141/110/110 Height 5' nothing!
WOE: Low Carb / Whole, Natural Foods!
Start Date: October 24, 2007
OK, I finally made these tonight, and they are delicious!! I made them exactly as the original recipe states, but I did have to bake them a little longer.

Thank you soooo much Lauren!!
rottinluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:27 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SweetPoison - You are too kind! I just try to be like my mom. She could be a saint, so if I can come close, it's all good!

Scott - That is so interesting about inulin and polyD. I am on a tight baking budget, so it's good there are people like you who can tinker around with these specialty ingredients and figure these things out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottinluv View Post
OK, I finally made these tonight, and they are delicious!! I made them exactly as the original recipe states, but I did have to bake them a little longer.

Thank you soooo much Lauren!!
Yay! So glad you're enjoying the brownies. How long did you bake them?
Old 11-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Lauren, it was just a few extra minutes, maybe a total or 28 or 29 minutes.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #53
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Thanks!

Whole Foods doesn't sell pure inulin (yet) because of the lack of demand and prohibitive cost. I'm sure health food stores in Europe carry it, though (where inulin is much more plentiful and less costly).

Anyway, some people can't tolerate polyd at all, while some can. If you haven't tried it (or inulin), you should- only to make sure you're one of the unlucky ones. If you can tolerate it, it makes a world of difference in the texture of desserts.
I BELIEVE you can buy pure inulin at VitaminShoppe, I think I've seen it there anyway.

It also does a number on me - just about like the PolyD. I bought some of those Fiber something sugarfree chewable tablets which I LOVE but two of those (which are full of inulin) and I am, again, unfit for polite company! Too bad because I really love what PolyD does for the texture of baked goods but I've gotten around it with the TTN/S and erythritol pretty well. I don't THINK that stuff bothers me but it doesn't take much - I added a teaspoon to the whole brownie batch - and maybe that's the reason? In any event, erythritol has pretty much become my "sweetener of choice" mixed with a little stevia and/or liquid Splenda to synergize things! (is that a word? )

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 11-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Good to see you posting Scott - welcome back!

Lauren - I just took these out of the oven and tried a little piece warm - yummy! Moist and chewy! I did increase the sweetener a bit, I think an extra 1/8 cup of E and a squirt of Sweetzfree. I used Kevin's dried sweetened cranberries, some chopped pecans and about 1/4 cup of white chocolate chips. Those additions add a few more carbs to each brownie but, if anyone can afford the extra carbs, it's worth it. I'm figuring 5 to 7 carbs per brownie. I made them in an 8x8 pan and cut into 9 pieces. Thanks for a keeper of a recipe!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #55
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

back Scott! Hope your schedule allows you to stick around awhile.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I get my inulin by buying Fibersure. It's pure inulin.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Lauren, I may have made a mistake. Was the NuNaturals you used liquid? I used 1/4 tsp from a packet and felt they weren't sweet enough. Maybe I used the wrong product?

Also, even though they may LOOK like the aren't done, I do suggest taking them out at the time Lauren wrote in her recipe. I left mine longer and it dried them a bit.

Overall though, VERY yummy!! Next time I will take it out at the directed time and maybe use a liquid NuNaturals?
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Lauren, I may have made a mistake. Was the NuNaturals you used liquid? I used 1/4 tsp from a packet and felt they weren't sweet enough. Maybe I used the wrong product?

Also, even though they may LOOK like the aren't done, I do suggest taking them out at the time Lauren wrote in her recipe. I left mine longer and it dried them a bit.

Overall though, VERY yummy!! Next time I will take it out at the directed time and maybe use a liquid NuNaturals?
I don't use NuNaturals, but I know that it must be pure stevia extract. I use the NOW brand, but only in this form; their liquid is .
Old 11-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

^You got it, rottinluv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post

Hi sungoddess, their pure extract does not come in packets! Sorry if I didn't make that clear. It is linked at my blog to their Pure Stevia Extract that comes in a 1 oz container. It is VERY potent! Doesn't have erythritol or maltodextrin bulking it like in the packets. It is far too difficult to measure for daily use (1/32 of a teaspoon is perfect for coffee!), but great for baking.

The toothpick test works well for these brownies since they are not gooey.

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 11-23-2008 at 05:21 PM..
Old 11-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Thanks!

So gums as crystallization inhibitors? Interesting... very very interesting They are long chain molecules, so it makes perfect sense that they would gunk up the works and prevent e molecules from bonding.

Speaking of long chain molecules that can't be broken down/digested by the body... is anyone experience digestive issues with not/starch/sugar?

If you want to avoid polyd because of potential digestive issues, I completely understand, but, if your concerns are of a crunchier nature, I highly recommend taking a second look at it. Regardless of the scary sounding name, polyd occurs all over the place in nature. In fact, if you ate vegetables today, you probably consumed a small amount of polyd. Do you know how beans get their bad rap? There's polyd in them. Just because the polyd you buy isn't extracted directly from a plant but made in a laboratory doesn't make it any different/any less natural/any less safe. Polyd is almost identical molecularly to inulin (aka FOS, aka chicory root extract), which, if memory serves me correctly, can be found at Whole Foods as a component of at least one of the stevia mixes. Inulin is very very crunchy stuff. I think they just boil the roots and then concentrate the liquid to a solid. It's also (like polyd) good for colon health/intestinal flora.

This is very interesting. Scott, do you happen to know how much inulin would be needed to reduce the cooling effect of 1 cup of erythritol granular? I have some fibersure (100% inulin) and I also have Not/Sugar. I like the Not/Sugar but have a hard time incorporating it into some recipes. The inulin is just a powder and doesn't get gummy/slimey. TIA for any recommendations you may have.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote