Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oneoftwo
Stats: 146/120/120 (maintain 118-120max) 5'3.5"
WOE: Atkins/HCG one round to goal/JUDDD to maintain
How do I use Xanthan gum?

I just bought some and tried to use it last night to make a gravy from my roast and it came out like jello. I guess I used too much?

How much liquid to gum do I use? Any advice
oneoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
How much did you use? Dana Carpender recommends 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per cup of liquid.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I just kept adding till it got thick and then it was too thick. do I just wisk it in?

Thanks for that info
Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: BarbDe
Stats: Quit smoking 11/4/07; 16/10/10 on 11/30/12
WOE: Low carb/Paleo/& Crossfit!
Start Date: August 2004
Use it waaay sparingly. Don't use it til it's thick, it continues to thicken and you will have concrete! .
1/4 teaspoon per cup may even be too much. Just sprinkle a little over the top and whisk it in, yes.
BarbDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, I was expecting instant thickening
Old 11-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kathy76
Stats: (313)282/160.8/155-160
Start Date: 9/19/05
oneoftwo- It does seem to take alot of practice getting used to xanthan gum. Linda Sue recommends putting it into a shaker and gently sprinkling it in while wisking with the other hand. One of those things where ...practice makes perfect
kathy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wishbone
Stats: 260/158/160
WOE: low carb my weigh
the sprinkle method works great. i think linda said at one time that when you sprinkle it on top of something hot....give it a few seconds to "soften up" and then whisk, or blend, or whatever you need to do. works great for me.

JAN
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: McBoo
Stats: 216/140/140 Now on Maintainance
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinics
Start Date: June 17, 2008
As someone else said a little goes a long way. Go light on it and let it heat up as you are whisking it in it will thicken you just need to give it a little time. If you find it is too thin you can always add a little more and if it becomes too thick you can always add more liquid. Practice makes perfect.
McBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Here is what I've got posted on my site:

WORKING WITH XANTHAN GUM
A little xanthan gum works great to thicken sauces and puddings, but can turn gummy if not added properly. What works best for me is to put what I need in a measuring spoon and, with one hand, very lightly sprinkle it over the surface of my sauce while briskly whisking it in with my other hand. I add it as gradually as I can. Ideally, sprinkling it from a shaker jar would be the best way to go, but I have to measure mine when I'm testing recipes. Xanthan gum is more likely to clump if you add it too quickly to liquids. I've had very good luck sprinkling it a bit more liberally over the surface of more solid foods like chili or stir-fries. I find that I don't need to be quite as careful in those cases.

If your recipe doesn't call for xanthan gum, and you'd like to add a little, start with only 1/8 teaspoon then wait a minute or so to see the results before adding more an 1/8 teaspoon at a time. As far as cleanup goes, you don't want to rinse your measuring spoon with water. You'll end up with sticky slime that's very difficult to clean off the spoon as well as your hands. Instead, take a dry Kleenex or napkin and brush the powder off the spoon.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:53 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoftwo View Post
I just kept adding till it got thick and then it was too thick. do I just wisk it in?

Thanks for that info
I take some of the liquid from the main pot and whisk the xanthan into that, then pour the mixture back into the pot. That way, if I've been too heavy-handed with the xanthan and it clumps, I haven't ruined the bulk of the dish.
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:41 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
A little cream stirred in at the end makes the gravy smoother and closer looking and tasting to flour gravy. It's also delicious that way.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:42 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
be careful with it cuz it can make tummy troubles
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #13
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
I use it to lighten baked goods made with "flours" that don't have gluten - whey protein powder, almond meal, oat flour, etc. My jar says 1/2 teaspoon of xg per cup of flour.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: BarbDe
Stats: Quit smoking 11/4/07; 16/10/10 on 11/30/12
WOE: Low carb/Paleo/& Crossfit!
Start Date: August 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib View Post
I use it to lighten baked goods made with "flours" that don't have gluten - whey protein powder, almond meal, oat flour, etc. My jar says 1/2 teaspoon of xg per cup of flour.
Interesting. Thanks for that info!
BarbDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Just a warning - it makes it light because it creates a gas and if you taste the batter you will swear adding the guar or xanthan ruined it. But that taste bakes off.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib View Post
Just a warning - it makes it light because it creates a gas and if you taste the batter you will swear adding the guar or xanthan ruined it. But that taste bakes off.
Are you saying that the Xanthan is acting as a leavening agent? I always thought it simulated the "binding" of gluten. . . .
Old 11-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
^^You're right, retro. It creates a gel matrix that binds the "flour" like gluten. It also thickens to give a "creamy" texture without adding a lot of fat if you don't use too much.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
What she (Lauren) said....

Goodness, a gas...who'd a thunk it?

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #19
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Xanthan and guar gum have a synergy with each other. Not only do you end up using less overall (and saving money), but the end result is is less slimy. I use about 2 parts xanthan to 1 part guar (this is where my 1/32 t. smidgeon measuring spoon becomes invaluable).

Even with combining xanthan and guar, it's still a little too slimy for me, so I add a fraction of a carb's worth of a starchy thickener like arrowroot. The arrowroot goes a long way in mitigating the texture of the gums. Pretty much all thickeners have a synergy with each other, so if you're using one starchy thickener out of 3, the carb impact is minimal. Depending on the sauce, sometimes I'll play around with gelatin, although that can make for a gummy sauce.

Also, as long as you have time to spare, some clumping is not the end of the world. I sprinkle xanthan with one hand while whisking like a madman with the other hand, but occasionally I do get some small clumps. Gum clumps in a gravy, if given enough time, will break down eventually. Heat will accelerate the hydration process. Small clumps can usually be lightly simmered out in a few minutes.

If the clumps are really bad, blending can be used as a last resort. Blending will weaken/slice most thickener molecule chains with the except of xanthan. Xanthan thins out while blending and then returns to it's original thickness once the blending stops.

Lastly, xanthan is one of the few thickeners, low carb or otherwise, that is resistant to salt. For instance, the corn starch that's in Chinese sauces- if you refrigerate them overnight, the salt breaks down the starch and they go watery. Teriyaki sauce is also almost impossible to thicken with anything but xanthan. Same thing for salty Buffalo Wing sauce.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #20

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Scott, what do you know about acacia gum. I finally bought some in hopes of making a better blend.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #21
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Acacia.... hmmmm... accessing memory (machine gear sound )

Acacia varies in grades from white to tan. The whiter, the better the grade. That's just in the literature I've read. I'm not sure what a better grade brings to the table. Solubility perhaps? A more neutral flavor profile? I don't have my hydration numbers memorized, but I believe it's slightly harder to hydrate than guar or xanthan. One of the gums (tracanth?) takes something ridiculous like 24 hours to hydrate. To make a long story short, I think you're pretty much in the same territory as xanthan/guar when it comes to solubility. It should be super fine for best solubility. If it isn't, I might toss it in a spice grinder for a bit.

Because acacia is the gum using in diet rite to give it a sugary texture, I'm leaning towards dissolved acacia being more sugary/less slimey than either xanthan or guar. Although not starch and not sugar contain the same ingredients, I have long theorized that not sugar contains proportionately more acacia.

If I had acacia, I'd probably make a faux not/starch using something like

1 part acacia
1 part guar
1 part xanthan

and a faux not/sugar using

2 (maybe even 3) parts acacia
1 part guar
1 part xanthan

That's probably where I'd start. Since everyone seems to speak so glowingly about not/starch/sugar, I think you should be very happy with the results you achieve by adding acacia.

P.S. Halloween is past, but if you wanted to put on some fake facial hair, I believe acacia (aka gum arabic) is the stuff traditionally used. I played a werewolf in a high school play once - used a ton of the stuff
Old 11-22-2008, 06:47 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Woa! The reappearance of Scott123!

Hope ya' stick around!
Old 11-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #23
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Woa! The reappearance of Scott123!

Hope ya' stick around!
Thank you, you're very kind. I can't make any promises, but I'm here now

An update on acacia. I did a little more research. Apparently many colas (diet and regular) use acacia to emulsify their oil based flavorings, so it's purpose in Diet Rite is not for body/texture like I previously reasoned, but... I still stand by my hypothesis- that acacia is more sugar-like than either xanthan or guar.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #24

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
its also quite a bit more expensive also.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
its also quite a bit more expensive also.
...hence the higher costs of the 4-gum synergistic blends of the ThickenThin line (i.e., not/Starch, not/Sugar).

Irish Moss/Carrageenan, though hard to get hold of, has an especial affinity with dairy experiments...I love mixing up little custom batches of multiple thickeners/gellers. I should take better notes!

Welcome back, Scott! Lovely to "see" you!

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 AM   #26
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
Welcome back, Scott! Lovely to "see" you!
Thanks! It's lovely to "see" you as well Jude!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Purrcy'smom
Stats: 216/193.5/158
WOE: Dukan and the CTFLC
Start Date: May 9, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
Here is what I've got posted on my site:

WORKING WITH XANTHAN GUM
A little xanthan gum works great to thicken sauces and puddings, but can turn gummy if not added properly. What works best for me is to put what I need in a measuring spoon and, with one hand, very lightly sprinkle it over the surface of my sauce while briskly whisking it in with my other hand. I add it as gradually as I can. Ideally, sprinkling it from a shaker jar would be the best way to go, but I have to measure mine when I'm testing recipes. Xanthan gum is more likely to clump if you add it too quickly to liquids. I've had very good luck sprinkling it a bit more liberally over the surface of more solid foods like chili or stir-fries. I find that I don't need to be quite as careful in those cases.

If your recipe doesn't call for xanthan gum, and you'd like to add a little, start with only 1/8 teaspoon then wait a minute or so to see the results before adding more an 1/8 teaspoon at a time. As far as cleanup goes, you don't want to rinse your measuring spoon with water. You'll end up with sticky slime that's very difficult to clean off the spoon as well as your hands. Instead, take a dry Kleenex or napkin and brush the powder off the spoon.
Hi everyone, just barging in to ask a question- this sounds like the thread where people have tried everything they are talking about! Can anyone fill me in on how to... count Xanthan gum as far as how many carbs? or is it negligible? Thanks so much folks.... laure
Purrcy'smom is offline   Reply With Quote