Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 4furbabies
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2002
Found a favorite recipe!

Thank God for the search feature. I had a favorite (non slimy) flax cereal recipe I ate when I LC'd before & lost the recipe card. Since I bought the ingredients tonight, I figured I'd better start searching. Gonna introduce hubby to it tomorrow now that he's on the program.

I would take it to work in a covered bowl with everything together but the liquids, then eat it there.

I make a recipe that karatejen posted:

2 cups flax meal
2 cups wheat bran
6 scoops vanilla protein powder
nuts (optional)

1/2 cup cereal
1/2 cup water
splash of cream
pat of butter
1 packet splenda
dash of cinnamon

Nuke 1 to 1 1/2 minutes (not slimy at all).

255/242/130

4/1/08: [COLOR="Blue"]246.4[/COLOR] 4/8/08: [COLOR="Blue"]242[/COLOR] 11/2/08: [COLOR="Red"]202.2[/COLOR] 1st goal: 199 by 9/20/08

Time to try again
4furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Thanks, I have been wanting a hot cereal recipe.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Bumping because this is sooooooooo good! It's like cream of wheat and I just love it on these cold mornings. I make up the cereal mix and store it in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Take out a 1/2 cup serving at a time!

I tweaked the recipe to make it lower carb and this is what I did:

Ingredients:
2 cups flax meal (2 1/2 cups flax meal)
2 cups wheat bran (1 1/2 cup wheat bran)
6 scoops vanilla protein powder (I use a PP with .5g carbs per scoop)
nuts (optional) I didn't figure these into the carb count

Directions for Cooking:
1/2 cup cereal
1/2 cup water
Nuke 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. (I only nuke 30 seconds, or it starts to bake like a 1 minute muffin)

And when done cooking I add:
splash of cream
pat of butter
1 packet splenda (I use a splash of DaVinci's or liquid Splenda)
dash of cinnamon

1 serving is 186 Calories, 1.12g Carbs, and 16.96g Protein

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 11-10-2010 at 08:40 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/171.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
That sure sounds good--I would like to find a good protein powder with less carbs--all I can find are 3 carbs per scoop--can you share what you have that is so low and if it tastes good-I have been hearing about the Jay Robb but it is so expensive. I need to reorder from Netrition so maybe thats where I need to look but I have bought some that are just totally inedible.

Thanks for recipe--I miss my oatmeal in the mornings or cream of wheat too.
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
That sure sounds good--I would like to find a good protein powder with less carbs--all I can find are 3 carbs per scoop--can you share what you have that is so low and if it tastes good-I have been hearing about the Jay Robb but it is so expensive. I need to reorder from Netrition so maybe thats where I need to look but I have bought some that are just totally inedible.

Thanks for recipe--I miss my oatmeal in the mornings or cream of wheat too.
I found one at my local Health Food Store. I can't mention the name on here because of the Terms of Service rules, but I will say is was expensive. I paid $40.00 for the large container but it's well worth it to me. I use this in a lot of my bakery items and the large container really will last me a long time. Netrition has the About Time Whey Protein Powder that is said to be good and 0 carbs. I wanted an unflavored one and that is the only reason I didn't buy this brand. If they had unflavored I would have in a heart beat!

I would give you the link to this protein powder on Netrition but I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone can help?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Beeb; 11-11-2010 at 07:56 AM..
Old 11-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I buy mine online. It's whey protein isolate for $6.00 a pound. 1 gram carb, 27 protein.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I buy mine online. It's whey protein isolate for $6.00 a pound. 1 gram carb, 27 protein.
From what CarolynF says, Whey Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Powder does not do the same thing when added to a recipe. She found this out in the Cinnamon Cookies/Buns recipe I have posted on here. These seem to be 2 totally different products.

I use the Whey Protein Powder in this hot cereal recipe. Not sure if the Whey Protein Isolate will work or taste right. Please let us know Soobee if you decide to use it in this recipe.

Thanks, my LCF!

Last edited by Beeb; 11-14-2010 at 09:03 PM..
Old 11-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Hey Linda, I'M not sure what the difference is in the protein powders you're talking about. Every protein powder I have seen is a blend of whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate. Can you show me an example of the whey protein powder that doesn't have the isolate in it that you're talking about that can be found at netrition. Thanks!!

I forgot to mention that I have been eating this every morning for a week, (Linda's version) and I love it!! I did add two packets of low sugar instant apple and cinnamon oatmeal to the mix, spread out over all the servings it doesn't add that many carbs to it, plus I used a zero carb protein powder.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 11-14-2010 at 09:52 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I bought whey protein concentrate in the past. I use the whey protein isolate and cobcebtratew interchangeably. I've never had a subsitution problem. The isolate is slightly better tasting.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I, too, have been wondering if powder and isolate are the same thing!! Is there a difference in how they dissolve in recipes? Is this what gives some a grainy texture?

Waiting to see what transpires here.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I finally found a protein powder that didn't have protein isolate in the ingredient list on Netrition, it's called Complete Whey Protein and it's made by CytoSport. Most of the protein powders are a blend of concentrate and isolate. So, here is my question, Linda & Carolyn, are you using a protein powder that is a blend of concentrate and isolate or just concentrate, because it is hard to find one that has no isolates in it. Wow, who knew that protein powder would be so confusing lol.

Sorry, I didn't mean to threadjack, everyone should know this cereal is really good, and keeps me full for a long long time!! You can add whatever you like to it, like fruit or syrups, to suit your tastes. It's a great low carb breakfast, full of fiber and protein.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The isolate is finer, more powdery, dissolves better, and has no strange taste. The concentrate I buy is thicker, and I can taste it's distinctive flavor in recipes. Usually I can't tell the differnce when I bake with them. But in something like a protein bar, shake, ice cream, or frosting, I prefer the isolate.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

good to know Soobee. I never thought of adding protein powder to frosting, but I bet it would be a good sub for powdered sugar as far as the consistency goes.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Well, I finally found a protein powder that didn't have protein isolate in the ingredient list on Netrition, it's called Complete Whey Protein and it's made by CytoSport. Most of the protein powders are a blend of concentrate and isolate. So, here is my question, Linda & Carolyn, are you using a protein powder that is a blend of concentrate and isolate or just concentrate, because it is hard to find one that has no isolates in it. Wow, who knew that protein powder would be so confusing lol.

Sorry, I didn't mean to threadjack, everyone should know this cereal is really good, and keeps me full for a long long time!! You can add whatever you like to it, like fruit or syrups, to suit your tastes. It's a great low carb breakfast, full of fiber and protein.
I never knew this, either! Thanks Gina for the research and info! I never looked at my PP and was assuming since Whey Protein Isolate is another product I have that they were not the same, guess I was wrong!

Never knew (until my smart friend Gina pointed it out to us/me! ) Thanks Gina and so glad you love the cereal as much as I do! Enjoy!!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I grind up Xyitol (or you can use E) in the coffee grinder for powdered sugar. Looks and acts just like regular powered sugar.

Thanks for the recipe!! I've been making the LC pumpkin cereal and I'm getting a little tired of it so this would be great to mix into things

Deanne
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_gal View Post
I grind up Xyitol (or you can use E) in the coffee grinder for powdered sugar. Looks and acts just like regular powered sugar.

Thanks for the recipe!! I've been making the LC pumpkin cereal and I'm getting a little tired of it so this would be great to mix into things

Deanne
Don't know how this got in this recipe thread since the recipe doesn't call for powdered sugar, (and only bringing this up in case someone thinks the recipe DOES call for powdered sugar), but thanks for the tip!! Great to know it can be used to make powdered sugar!

Hope you like my tweak to an already great recipe when you try it! Let us know, too!

Last edited by Beeb; 11-15-2010 at 04:22 PM..
Old 11-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

hahaha...Linda, I think hockey_gal was referring to my reply to Soobee talking about how the different protein powders taste in recipes. She said she uses the isolate in things like shakes and frostings, so I said that I never thought of using protein powder in frosting and that it would make a good sub for powdered sugar when making frosting. Hope that clears things up..lol.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Yes, I was referring to Gina. I honestly don't think protein powder would work as well as ground up X or E...so I wanted to offer another suggestion.

I tried the recipe and I think it needs to "breath" before being eaten. As I got farther through the bowl, the better it was The next time I make it, I would definitely add some more flavour like a flavoured syrup instead of liquid splenda.

Has anyone tried chocolate PP? I think this really needs "something" more...it's way to plain & gritty. (of course, I'd still eat it!)

Thanks,
Deanne
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Mine comes out smooth, not gritty at all, so it may be the pp you're using. Also like I said, I added 2 packets of low sugar oatmeal, which adds about 3 grams carb per serving and I use some vanilla Davinci syrup, it gives it a lot more flavor. You could also add some small chopped apples and cinnamon, or other fruit or if you like maple flavor you could add some sugar free maple syrup. I am loving this stuff and the fact that it keeps me full for hours just makes me love it more.

ETA: I also use zero carb graham cracker flavored pp, which gives it more flavor too!!

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 11-16-2010 at 05:15 PM..
Old 11-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I'm happy you found this recipe too! I like hot cereal in the winter this is better than anything else I've tried. Thanks for sharing.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #21

Wrong post, sorry! :blush:

Last edited by Beeb; 12-06-2010 at 05:05 PM..