Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Konjac (glucomannan) Powder Experiments

This guy may have answered some of our questions about how best to form the powder/gel with a minimal "slime" factor and he also seems to have achieved some solidity without pickling lime:

chadzilla: i got this konjac... now what?
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Thanks, Retroworx for the link. I experimented with glucomannan powder for awhile, and then got distracted by other ingredients. I will try his mixture. I never thought of xantham in conjunction with glucomannan, nor would I have ever figured out how the ratio changes made such a difference in the outcome.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Interesting! I jumped the gun and got some glucomannan in the little capsules. Big mistake (and expensive). Just trying to get it out of the capsule is an exercise in frustration.

Thanks for the info, Retro!
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Thanks, Retroworx for the link. I experimented with glucomannan powder for awhile, and then got distracted by other ingredients. I will try his mixture. I never thought of xantham in conjunction with glucomannan, nor would I have ever figured out how the ratio changes made such a difference in the outcome.
Oooh, I'm glad you saw this, Soobee. I was hoping you, or Jude, or one of our other food "chemists" would "bite" . I'm still lost () so I'm hoping one of you smart folks will figure it out for me.

I did make a "Breakfast Porridge" today with Shirataki noodles AND Konjac Powder (almost a fiber trifecta!) based on a recipe on another low carb site:

1 cup Almond Milk, Vanilla, Unsweetened

6 TBSP DaVinci Vanilla Syrup

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 tsp Vanilla extract

1/4 tsp Splenda Quick Pack

1/4 tsp salt

2 tbsp Erythritol, powdered

2 teaspoons glucomannan powder

1 package Shirataki orzo-shaped noodles, or any other size, food processed down to tiny, rice-sized bits.

Mix all ingredients but glucomannan powder and shirataki. (I did this in a Magic Bullet cup.) Slowly whisk in glucomannan powder. Blend in bullet until smooth. Add more liquid if needed/preferred.

Rinse Shirataki noodles in cold water; drain. Add to pudding and mix well. Microwave for 2-3 minutes on high. Stir and serve.

Makes (2) 1 cup servings.

This will probably be a good "pudding" if cold as well. Original instrux said to nuke even if planning to serve cold, tho -- apparently the vanilla flavor will be absorbed better into the shirataki if nuked initially.

I was shooting for a practically zero calorie food, so I didn't do much in the way of add-ons, but if served with a pat of butter and some cream (and perhaps a touch of flax or bran?) or some Brown DiabeteSweet this would do quite nicely as a very filling yummy oatmeal sub, I think.

Let me know if you get sucked into any good Glucomannan experiments.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
Just trying to get it out of the capsule is an exercise in frustration.

'Course one capsule of the stuff could probably glue my formerly obese self to the wall. . . .
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote