Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Butter Pecan Creme Brulee...:) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/58538-butter-pecan-creme-brulee.html)

CarolynF 01-20-2003 02:26 PM

Butter Pecan Creme Brulee...:)

This recipe is the Recipe Room..It is so easy and so delicious.

It calls for 6 ounce custard cups, I used my 4 ounce and it was
delicious...DH went crazy...:)

And, there is no broiler involved or torch.

NorthernNisse 01-20-2003 02:41 PM

Now now Carolyn...you know everyone is going to want this recipe at their fingertips. ;) It is wonderful....isn't it.

Butter-Pecan Creme Brulee

2 cups cream
4 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt
2 tablespoons Splenda

Heat cream over medium heat, just until bubbles start to form.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks, vanilla, salt and Splenda.
Gradually whisk in cream.
Strain mixture.
Divide into four custard cups.
Bake in a water bath for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Custards should be set, but still jiggly.
Chill for one hour.
Make butter-pecan topping and divide between between cups.
Refrigerate for four more hours or overnight.

Butter-Pecan Topping:
1 tablespoon butter
1/8 cup pecans - finely chopped
1 teaspoon Splenda

Melt butter.
Stir in pecans and Splenda.
Heat just until nuts begin to color, being careful not to burn!

Josie

chefchick66 03-09-2003 08:55 AM

Made these yesterday...they were AWESOME!!!

I didn't have any pecans, so I substituted walnuts and used half Splenda and half DiabetiSweet. I also added a tablespoon of Torani Butter Toffee Syrup.

Very, very easy to make and it tastes like your're cheating, but you're not! ;)

Thanks to Josie, or whoever first posted this recipe, I'll be making it again soon! :)

MelaGal 03-09-2003 10:34 AM

Agreed!!! This was one of the first sweet treats I made after we started this WOE. It is so simple and easy and YUMMY!! I've made it several times.

Great recipe!!

~a

Sweeteater 03-25-2008 07:45 AM

bump :)

LindaSue 03-25-2008 04:32 PM

I've been wanting to try this recipe for years now but never seem to get around to it. What am I waiting for???

CarolynF 03-25-2008 04:39 PM

Wow..a blast from the past..nommie, nommie..nommie.

KrystaLyn 03-25-2008 06:27 PM

This recipe is from DANDR (can't remember which version, though.) I made it and it was FANTASTIC.

Mallory 03-25-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 10102779)
I've been wanting to try this recipe for years now but never seem to get around to it. What am I waiting for???

How is this different from your Kathys Flan on your site? I havent had either so Im curious..

LindaSue 03-26-2008 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 10103537)
How is this different from your Kathys Flan on your site? I havent had either so Im curious..

The topping for one thing. Also, the crème brûlée calls for only the yolks in the custard, not whole eggs.

Mallory 03-26-2008 07:52 AM

This looks very good! I think if you used brown diabetisweet on top it would be sort of caramely (is that a word?)lol I had sprinkled some on top of an oopsie and it went sort of crunchy when it was cooking..Ill try it on a couple during the process and see what happens..yum!

CarolynF 03-26-2008 10:36 AM

Hey, Mallory..that is a great idea. I don't think they had the brown diabetisweet when this recipe was invented..

Sweeteater 03-12-2009 11:43 AM

Made this last night and it was delicious!

See more info at my blog...

Carol21950 03-12-2009 12:13 PM

Here's a dumb question. What do you do with the leftover egg whites?

CarolynF 03-12-2009 12:19 PM

Leftover egg whites can be used in an egg white omelette..Then put some cheese in it for extra nomminess..Or you can make a meringue for a sugar free pie, too..

frogfarm 03-12-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol21950 (Post 11689205)
Here's a dumb question. What do you do with the leftover egg whites?

Oh, do I have a story! I made an experimental custard (came out great, btw) and had leftover whites. Since my last attempt at oopsie rolls didn't turn out so great, I asked SWMBO (*) to demonstrate proper technique. I showed her the recipe, and she expressed doubt that we could achieve the proper stiff consistency with only cream of tartar "and no sugar". She gave it a shot, but even with the Kitchenaid it wouldn't do more than soft peak. Defeated, I gave her permission to do whatever she wanted with it, "for instance add sugar and make a meringue..." My jaw dropped when I saw her add A HALF A CUP (it looked like a whole one to my eyes!), responding to my disbelief with, "You said four eggs' worth, right?" :eek:

(You'd think I'd have known better -- it's not like I'm a stranger to cooking, or baking/desserts in particular)

Anyway, that did the trick, it stiffened up nicely, and she made a tray full of little 'ghost faces' with chocolate chips. And no, I am not eating them -- my cheesecake and custard and 85% dark chocolate is more than enough to satisfy what remains of my sweet tooth.

(Except for Amish Friendship Bread...anyone else ever encounter this manna from heaven that sends your blood sugar straight to hell? :cool: Anyone who can come up with a carb-friendly version of this bomb deserves the Nobel!)

(*) She Who Must Be Obeyed - see Rumpole of the Bailey

Charski 03-12-2009 02:29 PM

You can freeze leftover eggwhites - whip 'em up with a pinch of salt just til they're barely frothy, portion out if you want (ice cube trays work well) and freeze, then bag up to keep.

I use eggwhites only for items I plan to "bread" - like calamari steaks, chicken, pork chops. To me, the whites alone are "stickier" and creating a more crisp, less eggy finished breaded product.

frogfarm 03-12-2009 05:32 PM

It just occurred to me today: Onion rings breaded with egg and coconut flour! Am I nuts? Will it work?

Charski 03-12-2009 06:06 PM

Don't know, Frogfarm, looking forward to your report - but what I know WILL work is Barbo's batter, which is basically Carbquik and beer. She recently posted on that and I responded, so it's not far away if you run a search on Onion Rings....

frances40 03-12-2009 06:15 PM

Anybody know the carb count on this?? Sounds delicious. I thought cream was kinda high in carbs.

Charski 03-12-2009 07:35 PM

Cream runs about 6 carbs per cup. Splenda is 24 carbs per cup, which = 16 tablespoons. Not sure what just the yolks would be? Butter 0, vanilla essentially 0, then you'd have the pecans. Haven't looked those up, sorry! ;)

frances40 03-13-2009 03:53 PM

Thanks for responding. I thought cream was like 2 carbs for 2 tbls.

Gulf Coast Girl 03-15-2009 12:39 AM

I made a single serving of this tonight. I was in the mood for something really rich so I used 2 egg yolks, 1/2 cup of cream, and a mixture of erythritol/splenda drops. Instead of doing butter pecan I added a few drops of orange dreamcicle drops.

It was really really good. Thanks for posting this. I'm the only one doing LC in my life and only eat sweet LC stuff on the weekends so I love finding things that I can do individual servings of.

Roni 05-12-2009 02:07 PM

Wow, this is my recipe, from 2001! I'm glad people are still making it. I converted a favorite custard recipe to LC, then created the topping by just throwing a few ingredients together, and it turned out so yummy I posted it to the recipe room. I haven't made any myself in ages, this reminds me to make a batch. LOL

jlatislaw 05-12-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 11690877)
Cream runs about 6 carbs per cup. Splenda is 24 carbs per cup, which = 16 tablespoons. Not sure what just the yolks would be? Butter 0, vanilla essentially 0, then you'd have the pecans. Haven't looked those up, sorry! ;)

According to MasterCook pecans are: 3 carbs/20 halves or 1/4 C.

CarolynF 05-12-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roni (Post 11960542)
Wow, this is my recipe, from 2001! I'm glad people are still making it. I converted a favorite custard recipe to LC, then created the topping by just throwing a few ingredients together, and it turned out so yummy I posted it to the recipe room. I haven't made any myself in ages, this reminds me to make a batch. LOL

Hey, Roni..You have some great recipes..:) Thanks.:heart:

piratechick 12-19-2010 02:34 PM

It's an oldie, but this looks like something i might need to make this holiday season again.

sistertzu 12-19-2010 05:57 PM

Welcome Pirate!! looks like a winner of a recipe.

maru2 12-19-2010 08:42 PM

Made this tonight and it was very good. I only had 1 1/2 cups of half & half so I added 1/2 cup water to make the 2 cups. I also decided maybe I should have more egg because of my cream situation so I used 1 whole egg and 3 yolks. I also added an additional tablespoon of sweetener thinking cream is probably sweeter than 1/2 & 1/2 plus I like things sweet. I doubled the topping recipe and used brown diabetisweet. This recipe turned out much better than my custard recipe made with hood milk, although my custard recipe is lower in carb. Also I didn't do all that chilling, DH and I ate it warm with sf whipped cream.:up:

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 12-20-2010 10:19 AM

Thanks for the resurection Julie