Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Butternut squash recipes?? Help! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/585035-butternut-squash-recipes-help.html)

Mackenzie 11-05-2008 05:23 AM

Butternut squash recipes?? Help!

I've been experimenting with new veggies. I bought turnips and made 'Home Fries" with them......awesome. Now I bought a butternut squash and I need ideas?

TIA
Mackenzie

Mackenzie 11-05-2008 06:52 AM

anyone? :cry:

Buffy45 11-05-2008 07:23 AM

I just cut in half, remove seeds and bake cut side down in a 350 oven for about an hour. Prick the skin once or twice. When done, I scoop out the squash and eat as is, or add butter and a brown sugar sub, or even a little salt and pepper. We LOVE butternut squash and it keeps well for leftovers. My DD even froze some leftovers this past week and it froze well.
Just bought another yesterday, will probably fix tomorrow. I like it better than sweet potatoes.

Charski 11-05-2008 07:50 AM

Make fries out of it! SERIOUSLY! They are awesome good. Just follow my recipe under the Pumpkin Fries thread!

Basically, cut off the top "meaty" end from the bottom hollow end; peel, cut into McDonald's sized fries, toss with JUST enough olive oil to coat, spread in a single layer on a foil-lined pan, sprinkle with sea salt, and roast at 450* (well-preheated oven) until browning, turning at about the 15 minute mark.

They're so good that way.

gharkness 11-05-2008 08:28 AM

The easy way to peel a butternut: put the whole thing in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes. That will soften the skin enough to make it WAY easier to peel.

Butternut is excellent in anything you would use pumpkin for or any other squash. But I like it either made as fries or sweet (butter, AS, cinnamon). I really don't care for the savory soups, etc., made with butternut.

Mackenzie 11-05-2008 08:45 AM

Thanks for the great ideas.......keep them coming! :D

Mackenzie 11-05-2008 08:49 AM

ding, ding, ding............I think you have a winner here! I will make them tonight for dinner! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 11090795)
Make fries out of it! SERIOUSLY! They are awesome good. Just follow my recipe under the Pumpkin Fries thread!

Basically, cut off the top "meaty" end from the bottom hollow end; peel, cut into McDonald's sized fries, toss with JUST enough olive oil to coat, spread in a single layer on a foil-lined pan, sprinkle with sea salt, and roast at 450* (well-preheated oven) until browning, turning at about the 15 minute mark.

They're so good that way.

Charski 11-05-2008 10:02 AM

I hope you like them as much as we do! I like to let them get pretty browned and just getting crispy. Don't use TOO much oil or they stay soft too long. I put them into a gallon Ziploc then drizzle in MAYbe a teaspoon, seal and shake them all around to coat, add a little more if needed but that usually does the job! It's one of those "less is more" things! :laugh:

Mackenzie 11-05-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 11091688)
I hope you like them as much as we do! I like to let them get pretty browned and just getting crispy. Don't use TOO much oil or they stay soft too long. I put them into a gallon Ziploc then drizzle in MAYbe a teaspoon, seal and shake them all around to coat, add a little more if needed but that usually does the job! It's one of those "less is more" things! :laugh:

Thanks for the tip about the oil. I never knew that! I have the squash already cut in french fry shapes and in the fridge. I am looking forward to them!

P.S...........the squash was a pita to cut up but I'm sure it will be worth it! :D

Charski 11-05-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackenzie (Post 11091749)
P.S...........the squash was a pita to cut up but I'm sure it will be worth it! :D

Oh yeah, it's worth it! :cool:

I use a veggie peeler to take off the skin, then cut the neck part crosswise into 1/2" thick slices, then cut THOSE into 1/2" sticks. Not too bad that way!

I am also fortunate enough to have a mandoline slicer with a julienne blade and if I remember, I use that. It makes such nice even sticks and it's pretty easy to do.

lisabinil 11-05-2008 12:51 PM

BUTTERNUT SQUASH AU GRATIN

2 lbs. butternut squash
1 med. onion, finely chopped (about 1 c.)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. butter, melted
2 eggs
3/4 c. milk
3/4 c. finely shredded Swiss cheese

Peel outer skin of squash with peeler or knife. Discard skin. Halve squash lengthwise and cut into thin slices. Place slices in bowl with onion, salt, pepper and melted butter. Toss well. Spoon mixture into buttered 9-inch baking dish. Bake, covered, at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat eggs, milk and cheese. Remove cover from baking dish and pour cheese mixture evenly over squash. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Makes 6 servings.

Mackenzie 11-05-2008 12:53 PM

:doh: I have a mandolin slicer too! Why the heck didn't I think of using it? The old brain matter isn't what it used to be! :hyst:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 11092644)
Oh yeah, it's worth it! :cool:

I use a veggie peeler to take off the skin, then cut the neck part crosswise into 1/2" thick slices, then cut THOSE into 1/2" sticks. Not too bad that way!

I am also fortunate enough to have a mandoline slicer with a julienne blade and if I remember, I use that. It makes such nice even sticks and it's pretty easy to do.

lisabinil 11-05-2008 12:53 PM

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:
nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 2-pound butternut squash, halved lengthwise, seeded
2 cups (about ) canned low-salt chicken broth
Pinch of grated nutmeg
1 cup nonfat milk
sour cream (optional)
Chopped fresh chives or green onions (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish with begetable oil spray. Place squash cut side down in prepared dish. Pierce each squash half several times with toothpick or skewer. Bake until squash is tneder, about 45 minutes.
Using large spoon, scrape squash into processor; discard peel. Add 1 1/2 cups broth and nutmeg and puree until smooth. Transfer puree to heavy large saucepan. Mix in milk and enough broth to thin to desired consistency. Stir soup over medium heat until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with dollop of sour cream and chives, if desired.
Serves 4.

tea cup 11-05-2008 01:48 PM

Charski- thankyou for the tip about not using too much oil. I bet that's why my zucchini fries turned out soggy the last time I made them. I will use a lot less oil from now on.

tea cup

Mackenzie 11-05-2008 01:52 PM

The "fries" are in the oven right now. They look so delicious! I will report back later...................:D

Mackenzie 11-05-2008 02:00 PM

Yummo! They taste just like sweet potato french fries! My DH's favorite! He will be so excited when he tries them.

Thanks Charski! :up::D

voj 11-05-2008 02:25 PM

How in the world does a person peel this squash - definitely not easy the way I was doing it!!!!!

Charski 11-05-2008 03:37 PM

Use a veggie peeler!!

Angeloco 02-20-2013 07:41 AM

Yummy!