Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw View Post
I had the same problem when I first started making this milk until I learned that dry milk becomes nasty tasting if it's not stored in the refrig/freezer. I bought a new box and dumped it in a freezer bag. That elimated the "taste-smell" for us. Might be worth trying.
Thanks for the notion. Next time I buy some pwdr milk, I'll pour out a portion to keep frozen and see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue
Not too long ago I sat down and calculated the cost of milk made from powder vs. real milk and the powdered milk was actually a lot more expensive.
He he. Wow. I did a calculation and that's what got me started making my own yogurt. The 2 quarts I was buying was costing almost as much as twice the same amount of milk. At the time I was having yogurt for only around 75 cents a quart ($3/gallon) . . . Those were the days
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Metqa, I agree that fresh pwd milk does taste much better. It tastes worse as it gets older.
That being said, I found a brand that tastes even better than any I've bought at the stoere (in boxes). I have to buy it over the internet, and i'm not allowed to tell you where. You will have to google it. It is sold at the same place that Kevin buys his freeze dried cauliflower and his peanut butter pwd. The brand name of the milk is Providant Pantry. And, it doesn't take as much of it as it does the regular brands (ie Carnation, Great Value, etc.).
Also, Netrition used to sell NOW brand Calcium Caseinate but NOW has discontinued it. That is what I have always bought. It was in a 2 pound jar. It can still be found a few place on the internet till the suppliers run out. I did a search a couple weeks ago for it and found some still available. Started to buy a few jars but haven't. I'll probably mess around and it will all be gone. But.... there were some other brands out there in 2 pound jars. (a gallon size jar)

Scott, if you are still lurkin you are why I added the Calcium Caseinate to my version of Carolyn's recipe. I had seen your recipe, and had finally ordered the casienate. Then, when it came in, I had quite frankly fogotten why I ordered it. I remember after she came out with this recipe, and looked it up. I really don't remember now why I decided to modify this recpe with it instead of making yours. I think this one was simpler, and it turned out good. I rarely drink it anymore tho. But had I found this when I first started low carbing, boy would I have been happy. I drank a lot of milk before starting low carb (partly for my stomach), and it was hard for me to give up. Now I rarely drink it even tho I now have this recpe. I make it up all the time tho, and make yogurt. (I use more pwd milk & cream for it tho.)
Also, if you are still around Scott, do you have other recipies using the Calcium Caseinate?

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #63
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I can't reconcile with myself the cost of buying 12lb of casienate. I can't seem to find it in smaller sizes.
You might want to take a look at bodybuilding suppliers. Those places have 1 or 2 pound containers. The price per pound will probably be more than the 12lb container you're looking at, but it will allow you to get a little and see if you like it.

If you like milk and are watching your carbs, caseinate is pretty amazing stuff. It's about as milky as you can get without being the real thing.

Quote:
Also, if you are still around Scott, do you have other recipies using the Calcium Caseinate?
All I have is my CC clone, condensed and evaporated. That's it. I mulled around the idea of adding it to baked goods where dried milk was utilized, but never got around it. Same thing for pudding. I also thought about it briefly for gravy, but very briefly after that I came to the conclusion that it was a bad idea (at some point or other I've considered just about everything as a thickener for gravy ). In Northern India they take milk, cook it down to a solid and make desserts from it. Gulab Jamon is one of my favorites. I'm sure caseinate would work well in that, but I wouldn't know where to begin there. I guess I'd have to figure out how to make the high carb version first and then swap out the milk solids with a low liquid version of my milk.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #64
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3] The brand name of the milk is Providant Pantry.
Also, Netrition used to sell NOW brand Calcium Caseinate but NOW has discontinued it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
You might want to take a look at bodybuilding suppliers. Those places have 1 or 2 pound containers. The price per pound will probably be more than the 12lb container you're looking at, but it will allow you to get a little and see if you like it.

If you like milk and are watching your carbs, caseinate is pretty amazing stuff. It's about as milky as you can get without being the real thing.
Thanks Crazy and Scott, I have to order some more vitamins soon, I guess I'll have to get over myself and research some of those body building sites and I've heard of Providence Too.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:13 AM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bolikesbeach
CC Milk

I live in Florida and my Walmart still sells the Carb countdown milk.You might check back with them because mine didn't have it for awhile but brought it back.
Bolikesbeach is offline   Reply With Quote