Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Tee Hee, I have a miniature Cheese cake pan, I guess I don't have to worry about Portions sizes, It's only 4 inches across!

Would freezing hurt the texture of the fresh fruit? like the strawberry? or the mandarin?
I know the blueberry and Pinapple would survive.
Could I do this in a tart pan?

Last edited by metqa; 10-15-2008 at 06:15 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: valf
Stats: 232/209/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 11/23/2007
I love Beachgirl's cheesecakes, but they are so thick I always ended up throwing half away because I couldn't eat them fast enough, and they are also a lot more work to make!

I doubled your recipe, except the sweetener (I don't have much of a sweet tooth and hate SAs) and made a 1" thick cheesecake with 1/4" nut crust. And my sweetener was DaVinci's Vanilla.

Oh, I also only used 1/2 as much butter in the crust and 1tbsp real sugar.

I love this!!! I eat it plain or with a 1/4 cup of thawed frozen berries.

Thank you so much!
valf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missymagoo12
Stats: 235/225/145
WOE: stellastyle,atkins
Start Date: april 2004
your dessert pie looks so yummy. i will have to make this when i get some more nuts ground up. sue
missymagoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbConvert
Stats: (147/120/115) 5'
Start Date: March 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo36us View Post
Hi Karen,

How sweet is the blend, good question.

You already know what my blend is, here is the sweetness level of each:
(1) Cup of Erythritol = 70% sweetness compared to regular sugar, or .7 Cups
(1) Splenda Quick Pack = 100% sweetness compared to regular sugar, or 1 Cup
(1) 1/4 teaspoon Stevia = 700 times the sweetness of sugar, so considering there are (192) 1/4 teaspoons in a Cup, this would equal out to 364% (700 divided by 192), or the equivilant of 3.64 Cups of sugar.

So we have:
.7.... Cups from Erythritol
1.0...Cups from Splenda Quick Pack
3.6...Cups from Stevia
5.3....Cups of Sweetness

So, according to the math above, one Cup of the sweetener blend should be equal to 5.3 cups of regular sugar. This is simple math, and unless I've overlooked something, hard to argue with.

BUT..................let me say this. If you have ever tried to use just 1 Splenda Quick Pack in a baked recipe alone, without any other sweeteners, then you probably know that it doesn't really equal 1 cup of sweetness like it claims on the label. I have NEVER found this to be a stand alone sweetener in most baked goods (although it does work pretty well in teas and kool-aids).

Also..................Supposedly it would only take 1/16th of a Teaspoon of Stevia to equal the sweetness of 1 Cup of sugar, but I would be very surprised if anyone on here has ever substituted 1/16th of a Teaspoon Stevia for 1 Cup sugar in a baked good, and been happy with the level of sweetness, without the addition of a second or third sweetener. So I don't know if I buy the 700 times sweeter claim, but after looking at the math here, and the fact that my mixture is very sweet, I will cut the Stevia in half next time to just 1/8th of a teaspoon, or 1.8 Cups regular sugar equivilant.

Whatever the total sweetness works out to, there is still a very very simple way to play it safe when adding in your blend............just start with 1/2 of what the recipe calls for, and then sweeten to taste. I can't think of a single recipe, crust, marinade, dressing, etc. where you can't go back and add more sweetener before baking or consuming

You didn't mention how much 'Sweet One' you add to your blend, but since it is approximately 200 times sweeter than sugar, every 1/4 Teaspoon you add would be the equivilant of 1 Cup of regular sugar. (200 times sweetness divided by 192 quarter teaspoons per cup)

So, with (1) Cup of Erythritol, (1) Splenda Quick Pack, and (1/4) Teaspoon Sweet One, technically you would have the equivilant of 2.7 Cups of regular sugar, or 270% Sweetness:
.7.... Cups from Erythritol
1.0...Cups from Splenda Quick Pack
1.0...Cups from 1/4 Teaspoon Sweet One
2.7....Cups of Sweetness

Bobo

Thank you SOOO much for that! For my giant cheesecake I was using one Quick Pack, one packet of the Sweet One, and about 2 T Erythritol.

And yes, I taste before adding any more. I made too many awful mistakes in the beginning.

The thing is, though, is that synergy makes it seem so much sweeter. The "repair" of the tastebuds after being low carb, plus the combo of differing sweeteners, so that 270% sweetness can seem like 500%. That's where it gets really confusing, because all tongues are not created equal.

Thanks for doing that math.
LowCarbConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheDogAteMyName
Stats: 198/158.5/135
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: April 13, 2008
Pinch me...honestly, I must be dreaming.
TheDogAteMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #66

Gallery: wannabeslim4life
Stats: 177/163/120
What is the foil for? I am getting ready to make this I am SO excited
wannabeslim4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bobo36us
Stats: 248/181/165
WOE: EAT, DRINK, & BE MERRY!!!!!!!
Start Date: 09/08/08
Melissa,

See post #10 about the foil and pans.
bobo36us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #68

Thank you for responding even though I could have read through the post to find that. So I do not need the foil and that is good because I do not have any at the moment. This is smelling SO yummy! I cannot wait thanks again!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #69

As you already know it is SO good and I could totally see using this when I am craving strawberry shortcake. It is also VERY filling I could barely finish one slice. I only used strawberries to save on carbs and its perfect!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Question...

Could I mix liquid Stevia instead of the 1/2 cup sweetener blend? Would this crust still work?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #71

Gallery: Determinedtolose
Quote:
It's hard enough to find motivation on ANY diet, and I just feel like having a few of your favorite treats prepared in advance greatly increases your chances of success, and gives you less excuses to cheat when meal time rolls around.

I have been on and off low carb for over 10 years, and know first hand how easy it is to get in a rut! Many times before, I would also try to eat at induction level way after the first two weeks (A problem that I think MANY members on here are guilty of)!

I have finally learned that I am not in a race to lose the weight! So, I WILL allow myself some sprouted wheat bread, I WILL allow myself some whole fruit, I will allow myself a free day once a week, etc. If we can't tailor this WOE to something that we can easily live with, then our chances of success are greatly diminished.

As far as all the pics, I am just trying to show people how quick and easy some of these goodies can be, so that hopefully it will help motivate some of them to stay on plan also.

Congrats on the 70 pounds! Maybe you have learned a thing or two about sharing after all

I've been going in that same direction too. I have stopped putting pressure on myself to lose by a certain time. Since doing that I can sleep alot better at night. Now I'm realizing that, since I've stayed on lc for over a year already and it's second nature now.

But you know you're a rebel here, , coming up with these cool desserts and adding certain foods. I guess I need to lighten up!

This looks wonderful and the banana split cake! I plan on trying them both!!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Nichole..................It has been my personal experience that Stevia is NOT a stand alone sweetener in baked goods. If you have never tried Erythritol, I HIGHLY recommend it. You may have heard of it before, but never tried it. Let me tell you, it is all natural, and you will not be disappointed! It has a net carb impact of zero. I recommend a sweetener blend of 1 Cup Erythritol, 1 Splenda Quick Pack, and 1/8 teaspoon Stevia.

The Stevia may work great in your teas, shakes, or sodas, but I can almost promise you that it will not work alone very well in this recipe.

Congrats on your weight loss!!!! When will we see some progress pics?

Diana.......................do you really mean to tell me that your sense of self worth, and ability to be loved, really does NOT revolve around your morning weigh in????? If so, congratulations to you!!! You are the first female I've met who feels that way....LOL.

Women.....please do not flame me for that last comment.....I would just really LOVE to see you all lighten up on yourselves a little bit!!! We are ALL beautiful and unique creatures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, by the way, if you think we're the only species out there, or that our life is over whenever our heart stops beating, then you are all in for a really big surprise
Old 10-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #73

Quote:
Nichole..................It has been my personal experience that Stevia is NOT a stand alone sweetener in baked goods. If you have never tried Erythritol, I HIGHLY recommend it. You may have heard of it before, but never tried it. Let me tell you, it is all natural, and you will not be disappointed! It has a net carb impact of zero. I recommend a sweetener blend of 1 Cup Erythritol, 1 Splenda Quick Pack, and 1/8 teaspoon Stevia.

The Stevia may work great in your teas, shakes, or sodas, but I can almost promise you that it will not work alone very well in this recipe.

Congrats on your weight loss!!!! When will we see some progress pics?

Diana.......................do you really mean to tell me that your sense of self worth, and ability to be loved, really does NOT revolve around your morning weigh in????? If so, congratulations to you!!! You are the first female I've met who feels that way....LOL.

Women.....please do not flame me for that last comment.....I would just really LOVE to see you all lighten up on yourselves a little bit!!! We are ALL beautiful and unique creatures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, by the way, if you think we're the only species out there, or that our life is over whenever our heart stops beating, then you are all in for a really big surprise

Yeppers!!! I get constant reassurance from DH that the weight will come off in time and to chill out. So I do and it sure does help!!
Old 10-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mslaster
Bobo,

What can I sub for stevia in the sweetner blend? I only have liquid stevia.
mslaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

mslaster...................liquid Stevia would be ok too, but I would probably dilute it in 1/2 teaspoon of water. Then, after you have prepared your crust, and after you have prepared the filling, then re-mix both as you add the diluted Stevia.

You will still get the same effect of combining the sweeteners, even if you use liquid Stevia, and even if you add it last.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valf View Post
I love Beachgirl's cheesecakes, but they are so thick I always ended up throwing half away because I couldn't eat them fast enough, and they are also a lot more work to make!

I doubled your recipe, except the sweetener (I don't have much of a sweet tooth and hate SAs) and made a 1" thick cheesecake with 1/4" nut crust. And my sweetener was DaVinci's Vanilla.

Oh, I also only used 1/2 as much butter in the crust and 1tbsp real sugar.

I love this!!! I eat it plain or with a 1/4 cup of thawed frozen berries.

Thank you so much!
I made this again, doubling the recipe as last time, and accidently added a little too much DaVinci (1/2 cup to 2 cups almond flour) to the crust. So I added an egg hoping it would thicken up when cooking. The crust was thin enough that when I poured it into the pan, I just shook the pan to evenly cover. After baking, it is phenomenal! Like a thin nut cake! Oh, I also left the real sugar out.

And for the double recipe filling, I used 1/2 c Monin O'Free Raspberry - it is so good!! Nobody could tell this is a low carb desert.

I didn't bother with the water bath either, and while the surface cracked like crazy, it was a lot easier and the cracks don't bother me at all.

I'm going to make this for Thanksgiving and quadruple the filling to have a full size cheesecake for my family.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
I made this again, doubling the recipe as last time, and accidently added a little too much DaVinci (1/2 cup to 2 cups almond flour) to the crust. So I added an egg hoping it would thicken up when cooking. The crust was thin enough that when I poured it into the pan, I just shook the pan to evenly cover. After baking, it is phenomenal! Like a thin nut cake! Oh, I also left the real sugar out
Sounds interesting - but there isn't any real sugar in the recipe! I might try your crust for something - not sure what yet.

Last edited by jlatislaw; 10-21-2008 at 08:43 PM..
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

lol - no but there was in my tweak as it only added 12 carbs and I hate SA's. I can taste them all.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smileyface
Stats: 160/155/130
Start Date: July 07
BOBO I made the receipe last night and took it to work and everyone loved it. There are a few of us at work who are doing low carb. It's nice to have someone to share food ideas with. We help each other eat good.
Have you ever used the almond flour, butter and maybe some italian seasoning and garlic for a pizza crust? Just wondering.
Deanna
smileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Bought a bag of erythritol tonight...crossing fingers!
Old 10-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Did you buy it locally or thru Netrition? Asking cuz Netrition is outta the powdered :/ rats. I dont know where else to buy it.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Deanna.................glad to hear it was a hit!
Did you change anything?

I have never made a pizza crust with almond flour,
but this one here is really really good: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ml#post8742513
Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #83

I posted your other recipe in the wrong thread. heading over there.

Last edited by Determinedtolose; 10-24-2008 at 09:00 PM..
Old 10-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smileyface
Stats: 160/155/130
Start Date: July 07
Quote:
Deanna.................glad to hear it was a hit!
Did you change anything?

I have never made a pizza crust with almond flour,
but this one here is really really good: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ml#post8742513
No, I pretty much made it the same way. Maybe a little less fruit. I ran out of some of the fruit. I just spread it out more. But it was just as good !!
Thanks for the pizza reciepe. That looks good also.

Deanna
smileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
You are 2.5 hrs away ... save me a piece !!!!!
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
bump, my favorite high carb dessert, before now, anyway.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
OMG, this looks awesome
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Suzie
Yum! I will be trying this ASAP!
Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MNLisaB
Stats: 222/155/140??
WOE: low carb, portion control
Start Date: 9/1/06
WOW

Is all I can say, thanks so much for posting this. My guests all raved, and I will be making this one again.

I used my trusty 11 inch round pizza pan, which I lined with parchment paper, and used 3 cups of almond flour with all of the other ingredients. I had a moment of panic when some of the water from the water bath spilled over onto the cooked topping but it was none worse for it.

My DDs helped me decorate it, we decided to spread a bit of whipped cream to the top of the cheesecake topping so the fruit would adhere better. It really was yummy.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 43
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 08
I made this for a potluck today and it was gone in minutes! Next time, I might use macadamia nuts for the crust and add some coconut flakes and chopped pecans!
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote