Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Low Carb Biscuits! OMGOSH! Lauren!!!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/579893-low-carb-biscuits-omgosh-lauren.html)

SnowWhite 10-04-2008 08:02 AM

Low Carb Biscuits! OMGOSH! Lauren!!!!

Today is my son's 7th birthday :up: He wanted biscuits and immediately I thought of Lauren (jacksmixedtape) and her Fluffy Biscuits recipe.

Due to my morning of many interruptions..I missed a few crucial steps in the recipe :blush: BUT - they STILL turned out very good AND SO SUPER EASY!!!
They were a little egg-y tasting after they sat for a while (probably because I used 4 whole eggs rather than just the whites). My advice would be to eat these HOT out of the oven :up:

Here are my tweaks...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51...mittou/009.jpg

Easy Low Carb Mini Biscuits
Makes 18 mini biscuits (use mini muffin pan)

1 cup + 2 Tbsp. almond flour
2 Tbsp. Smart Balance (or butter - either way make sure it's cold)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt
4 eggs (might work using 3?)

Preheat oven to 400.
Spray mini muffin pan w/ nonstick or grease very well.
Combine the almond flour, salt and baking powder.
Using a fork, cut the Smart Balance/butter into the almond flour mixture.
In a seperate bowl, whisk the eggs together.
Add the whisked eggs to the almond flour mixture. Mix well (but lightly).
Pour mixture into the greased mini muffin pan (I used 1 Tbsp per vessel).
Bake at 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.

ENJOY HOT! These were wonderful w/ a spread of Smart Balance & SF honey! :up:

jacksmixedtape 10-04-2008 08:32 AM

Oh cool! That's funny, 'cause with just whites you should wait until they cool OFF so they don't taste eggy. Guess it's reversed with the whole eggs, LOL.

Thanks for sharing and taking pics, Mel! They look yummy.

SnowWhite 10-04-2008 09:44 AM

Oddly - now 2 & 1/2 hours after baking..and them sitting on the counter...I don't sense and eggy taste anymore..

I've eaten 4 :doh: :blush:

Love&Luck 10-04-2008 01:48 PM

Mel,

Thanks for sharing! These look great - I was just thinking withthe cooler weather that I was missing biscuits! This sounds like it will be a big hit around here!

Kim

SnowWhite 10-05-2008 06:50 AM

Kim, they really ARE good :up:

LCCupcake 10-05-2008 08:24 AM

Those look amazing!! :clap:

I wish I had some decent almond flour at home or I'd whip them up today to go with my chicken chili!

Snow White...I applaud you for making healthy eating a true family affair.

You are a great Mommy!

SnowWhite 10-05-2008 08:43 AM

:love: Thank You!

goodinlife 10-05-2008 09:30 AM

Hi SnowWhite, Thanks for the link. These are similar to my bread rounds only higher. And here is my 2 carb carbquick biscuits.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...ife/rounds.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l.../carbquick.jpg

Recipes:: post #459 here...

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/at...l#post10949185

WOW! LOOK AT YOUR STATS! WTG!!!

jlatislaw 10-05-2008 11:33 AM

SnowWhite I tried your version of Lauren's rolls - YUMMMY! I also think they'd make a good base for a lot of tweaks. I got 21 of the minis - and they're delicious buttered and dipped in cinnamon/splenda mix. Love them. Thanks!

SnowWhite 10-05-2008 02:50 PM

:up: Glad you liked them jlatislaw!

goodinlife: Those look yummy too! This batter is too runny to form into a biscuit or use a cookie cutter. I don't have any carbquick :(

jacksmixedtape 10-05-2008 03:00 PM

I tried these again SnowWhite--you made me crave biscuits with those yummy photos!

I added a couple of tablespoons of powdered milk this time. They were even yummier, and the top browned a lot better. It was actually goat milk since that was the cheapest at the store, LOL. Had them with a bit of honey mixed with butter, mmm!

They burned 'cause I forgot about the oven--didn't look as pretty as yours, SnowWhite! :)

CarolynF 10-05-2008 03:08 PM

J: I do like the idea of dipped in butter and rolled in cinnamon Splenda alot..:) Thanks and thanks to Snow for making them little.

Tyl 10-05-2008 03:14 PM

subscribing...will be making these very soon!

goodinlife 10-05-2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowWhite (Post 10951996)
:up: Glad you liked them jlatislaw!

goodinlife: Those look yummy too! This batter is too runny to form into a biscuit or use a cookie cutter. I don't have any carbquick :(

:kicking: Happy dance to your family! Tell them I said WTG!!

My DS was away for two weeks this summer when I started LC, the first 15 came off me fast and my daughter was bragging to him about my losing on his way home. He saw my face and jumped on the LC wagon...has taken off 40 lbs since. He drinks a ton of water, always has and is dedicated to losing the weight. 15 yrs old, down from 222 to 182. He still has some to go, but it really helps when the kids have support. No more bullying at school either, now the kids comment on how much he's changed. Self esteem has done a 360 turn around, now he changed his hair, his clothes and cares what he looks like when he leave the house.

Congrats to you and yours!! :clap::clap::clap:

The carbquick is good if you haven't tried it, but I still think of it as processed so I don't use it much. Those rounds are pretty good, very simple, you should try them.

texasangel 10-05-2008 04:39 PM

ok i made these tonight and they were yummy! I ate one with butter and sm tsp of sf black raspberry jelly! Awesome recipe! So easy and sooooooo yummy!

SnowWhite 10-05-2008 05:19 PM

To those who made them...

Did ya'll use 3 or 4 eggs? Did you sense an egg-y taste?

I'm so glad you liked them :clap:

Lauren..powdered milk is a miraculous lil thing! ;) I think I've seen the powdered goat milk ... hmm...I guess I should try some :up:

I have one tiny biscuit left in the fridge. I got some SF honey waitin' for it :up:

NOTE: store just like the oopsies...in a semi-sealed container (let the air get to them a bit so they don't get soggy).

SnowWhite 10-05-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodinlife (Post 10952293)
:kicking: Happy dance to your family! Tell them I said WTG!!

My DS was away for two weeks this summer when I started LC, the first 15 came off me fast and my daughter was bragging to him about my losing on his way home. He saw my face and jumped on the LC wagon...has taken off 40 lbs since. He drinks a ton of water, always has and is dedicated to losing the weight. 15 yrs old, down from 222 to 182. He still has some to go, but it really helps when the kids have support. No more bullying at school either, now the kids comment on how much he's changed. Self esteem has done a 360 turn around, now he changed his hair, his clothes and cares what he looks like when he leave the house.

Congrats to you and yours!! :clap::clap::clap:

The carbquick is good if you haven't tried it, but I still think of it as processed so I don't use it much. Those rounds are pretty good, very simple, you should try them.

Amen! God Bless you and your kids! That's wonderful! :love:

Determinedtolose 10-07-2008 12:12 PM

SnowWhite, I love these too! I also made the one with the cinnamon topping, they were wonderful!!

And while on the subject of Lauren. . .I made the chocolate chip cookies as a bar and they were great! I love them!!

SnowWhite 10-07-2008 01:33 PM

:clap: Glad you liked them!

Did you use 3 or 4 eggs?

Determinedtolose 10-07-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowWhite (Post 10962412)
:clap: Glad you liked them!

Did you use 3 or 4 eggs?

I did use the 4 eggs, but I think I'll use 3 instead. I think it can handle it. :)

SnowWhite 10-07-2008 05:19 PM

I think so too :up:

Determinedtolose 10-07-2008 06:12 PM

I've been wanting to add blueberries to them, but they're too expensive right now. Any suggestions that I can use?

I might just make them savory. :)

jlatislaw 10-07-2008 07:57 PM

I tried a "tweak" of the biscuits.

To SnowWhite's recipe I added:
1/2 t. cinnamon
SS= 1/4 C. Sugar (I used QP)

I cut up 2 small apples and put in skillet with a T. of butter, 1 1/2 T. Diabetisweet brown and 1 rounded t. cinnamon

I cooked on med-low untill apples were tender stirring often and adding a T. of water at a time to keep them moist. Probably 1/4 c. total. Took about 10-15 minutes. Stirred into batter and baked per directions.

Very good! DH liked them more than the plain ones. I liked them both.

jacksmixedtape 10-07-2008 07:59 PM

^^Cinnamon apple biscuits? Yummy! Might try that with chayotes. Oooh, sounds perfect for a cool fall night. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Determinedtolose (Post 10963608)
I've been wanting to add blueberries to them, but they're too expensive right now. Any suggestions that I can use?

I might just make them savory. :)

I'm thinking cooked shredded chicken with green onions might make for a nice savory biscuit!

Berries are falling out of season, noooo! :cry: Perhaps you'll find some on sale!

I haven't tried making these biscuits will whole eggs yet--I'm afraid they'll taste eggy! What's the difference in texture between the original recipe (egg whites) and the biscuits made with whole eggs?

Thank for tweaking and sharing your results, SnowWhite!

Determinedtolose 10-08-2008 04:47 AM

Omg! I just realized on your recipe Lauren that it say's egg whites! When you posted that, I thought, what?? LOL! I must have missed that for some reason when I made these and automatically thought it used the whole egg.

No wonder the eggy smell!!! :laugh:

Okay, I'm making these again!!

KellBell1234 10-08-2008 08:27 AM

Yum! These sound really good!!! Almond flour is so expensive though, I'm wondering if there is a sub that would work and taste as good? I haven't read through this whole thead yet, so the answer to that question might already be in here :) Either way though, I'm trying these for sure!

didi 10-12-2008 02:29 PM

I want to try these! Do you think they would work as a cheddar garlic biscuit, ala Red Lobster? A buffet in the area (Golden Corral) has good ones like that but only smaller, mini size. ( I tried a little one). I would like mine to be a bit buttery (aka greasy!).

Dianna

Zer 10-12-2008 03:00 PM

Oh...these sound so good!
Pix are almost aromatic.
Or is that just ME?

ebonyeyz28 10-12-2008 03:04 PM

Ummm...just the picture of these are making me DROOL!!! :doh: I will be trying these as soon as I can get by Trader Joe's and pick up some more AF. :love:

SnowWhite 10-12-2008 04:47 PM

Other than making a basic bean muffin I have no idea what would be a good alternative to the almond flour :dunno:

I just bought more AF so I'm gonna make another batch..I'm gonna try using just 3 eggs this time :)