Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: woogers_1
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2003, April2008
I make these using the original recipe, but add an envelope of splenda to the batter. These are great with or in chili, reminds me of corn bread. The egg yolks make a great breakfast. Love, love, love these biscuits!
woogers_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kris T.
Stats: Was 140 now 106 currently
WOE: Over the sink!
Start Date: 2003
This is going to sound completely stupid, but I have to share. I had copied this recipe a while back to a word file to save on our desktop. Later on, DH was online and needed the password for our online banking account. I told him if he clicked "paste" it should probably insert itself, since I had just been on the banking website.

So he did, and for whatever reason it came up "fluffy biscuits". That struck us as funny..just one of those moments. So now, whenever we need to enter any kind of password and we ask the other what it is, the response is always a deadpan, "fluffy biscuits".

I know. We're geeks.
Kris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris T. View Post
This is going to sound completely stupid, but I have to share. I had copied this recipe a while back to a word file to save on our desktop. Later on, DH was online and needed the password for our online banking account. I told him if he clicked "paste" it should probably insert itself, since I had just been on the banking website.

So he did, and for whatever reason it came up "fluffy biscuits". That struck us as funny..just one of those moments. So now, whenever we need to enter any kind of password and we ask the other what it is, the response is always a deadpan, "fluffy biscuits".

I know. We're geeks.
LOL, Kris, you always have great stories to tell. These can be "password biscuits" for you two!

Woogers, so glad you like the biscuits!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ebonyeyz28
Stats: Then: 274.5, size 28 Now:173, Size 12!
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: December 27, 2002
I'm such a dunce for not reading the entire thread...I couldn't help it, I saw the word "biscuit" and lost it! I totally didn't realize that using the whole egg was a mistake so I followed the recipe exactly and used three eggs but, guess what, these little suckers are good!!! I am softening some butter and I'm gonna add Splenda to it to simulate the sweetened butter that I used to eat at a little diner where I grew up!

Thanks for the recipe, I really appreciate people who don't mind sharing!

Shelby
ebonyeyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #35
Lounge Chef & Typo Queen!!

Gallery: SnowWhite
Stats: 450/ Ugh/185
Start Date: 5/26/03 * WLS 1/15/04
Kris: LOL Fluffy biscuits!

Ebonyeyez: Aren't they good! I'm gonna make more tomorrow
SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
So...should I make these with whole eggs, or just egg whites? I want to try them with some chowder tonight. Anybody try them both ways? Seems like the batter would be much runnier with whole eggs. Maybe 2 whole eggs or 4 egg whites? I use jumbo eggs, BTW.
Cap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #37

The batter is thick with 4 eggs - maybe try 2 since you're using jumbo?
Old 10-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #38

Gallery: lavenderlilacs
These sound great. THANK YOU!!!
lavenderlilacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
I made these today, doubled the recipe but I also messed up and forgot to double the egg whites. They were surprisingly good, a little dry as I expected since forgetting half of the liquid but good with some butter. I made the recipe again right away, a single recipe this time as written.

They were much moister, very good, not biscuits as I like my biscuits, not flakey at all and denser than biscuits, not light and fluffy, but they are a very good muffin for breakfast or dinner, even the ones I messed up are good.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #40

Shadowzip: I was thinking that the version I make should be called a muffin too, although I have to say mine are both miost a and fluffy

OK - I got a batch in the oven right now (my version). This time I added shredded cheddar and garlic powder!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #41

Well I made the Garlic Cheddar Biscuit/Muffin! I wish I would have given it a shot with just the 3 eggs. This time they were really really eggy and stayed that way. They weren't bad...but more like the aftertaste of a quiche rather than a muffin/bisuit. Regardless, out of the 21 mini muffins...I only have about 6 left! My kids loved them as an after-school snack!

The first time I made them (original Snowwhite version) they were much better
Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have you tried the original recipe with just the whites, SnowWhite? They are not eggy at all.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:13 PM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Anybody make these full size? How long do you think it'd take to cook all the way through for a regular size muffin biscuit?
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Have you tried the original recipe with just the whites, SnowWhite? They are not eggy at all.
I agree Lauren, mine were not eggy either. As a matter of fact DH ate most of them today. Thanks for the recipe.

Quote:
Shadowzip: I was thinking that the version I make should be called a muffin too, although I have to say mine are both miost a and fluffy
SnowWhite mine were only dry cause I forgot half of the egg whites, the second batch were really moist. Also the ones that I messed up were much moister today.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mjssmith
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart Feb. 16th 2009
I've never used almond flour before, is it available at Wal-Mart?? If not where would i find it?? Thanks.......
mjssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #46
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjssmith View Post
I've never used almond flour before, is it available at Wal-Mart?? If not where would i find it?? Thanks.......
I hope the netrition folks won't be angry, but I buy my almond flour in bulk from a bakery supplier. PM me if you want more info.

You can buy it in the Special foods section at Kroger. Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour. Netrition also sells Bob's. Last I checked it was around $11/lb, and organic almonds were running betwen $7-$9.99/lb. I get my almond flour at around $7/lb for 5lb. that lasts me all year.

Last edited by metqa; 10-22-2008 at 05:11 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #47
Video Vixen

Gallery: megananne
Stats: way too much/8 lbs down/just right
WOE: LC/workout 5-7 times/wk
Start Date: June 2009 - this time LC for life!!
Just found this recipe searching for LC biscuits and tried it this morning. YUM!!!!!! I will be making again for sure.

Here are my tweaks...

I used powdered egg whites, and instead of adding water to reconstitute, I added HWC. The rest of the ingredients were the same as Lauren's original recipe. I made 6 in a regular muffin tin, and baked in my convection oven at 375 (they baked quickly...about 8-10 min). Served for breakfast with a smidgen of SF grape jelly, and EVERYONE liked them (husband, who LCs for digestive reasons, and my two kids, who don't necessarily eat LC).

101 REASONS TO EXERCISE!!

"You earned this stretch. Not the cake - just the stretch" JAC in Core Foundations
megananne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
I just made these biscuit muffins, and they were delish! I made them with 4 eggs, and did not notice an eggy taste at all, right out of the oven. Made mine regular size, with a little over 2 tbls in each cup, and got six very good sized ones...really reminded me of yeast rolls in appearance...but were denser in texture. Fixed some bacon and eggs, and had two of these with sf strawberry jelly for supper..mmmm good! (had something to "sop" up the egg yolk from my fried eggs!). In the morning, I may fix some gravy and have a couple of the biscuits. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Carole

PS...anyone have a good gravy recipe? I like a cream gravy...would coconut flour and HWC work to make it?
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I just made these and they are great . Thanks Lauren and snowwhite.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BLUTTO66
Stats: 425/319/285
WOE: Modified Low Carbs
Start Date: Latest Restart -MAY 2ND 2008
Thump
BLUTTO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennywren
Hi Arkie1...this one has been around for a long time and it's not bad
at all (IMHO). posted by CatsDogsKids a long time ago--but I'll just copy/paste from my file copy. All of the following came from
an old thread...all are their quotes.

"CatDogsKids’ Sausage Gravy

I have made sausage gravy & it tastes WONDERFUL! Use a pound roll of sausage & cook it all in a skillet until done (crumbled). Leave all grease in the pan! In a bowl, stir one egg into 2 cups of cream. When this is all combined, pour the cream/egg mixture into the sausage & grease. Stir, stir, stir. Because of the grease, it may come out looking kind of orange, but I guarantee you it tastes like sausage gravy we used to have!! Yum!

Now for my tweaks;
I've used hamburger, poultry and even made creamed eggs from the basic idea. I do prefer a thicker "gravy" so I use 1 whole large egg to 1 cup heavy cream. You can double or triple this recipe if needed.

For the poultry, if I'm using a roasted bird, I use the pan drippings (maybe a couple of Tbsp. to 1/4 cup per 2 cups cream and 2 eggs) or if it's not browned drippings, like from the slow cooker, I will put some poultry meat and the drippings in a skillet, boil off the broth and brown them up before adding the cream/egg mix on low-very low heat. After you add the cream/egg you must start stirring immediately or you will end with scrambled egg pieces in the gravy (lumps, I use a silicone spatula or whisk to stir). Stir constantly until desired thickness is reached then remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste before adding to pan or after, it really doen't matter when. This usually doesn't take more than 5 minutes or so to become thick.

For creamed eggs, I just make the gravy without pan drippings (you could use browned butter or bacon drippings if you wanted) in a Pammed skillet and then add sliced hard boiled eggs until they warm. (I also add a touch of garlic powder to the cream and love it. You could use nutmeg if you like.) Pour over any toasted LC bread. Yummy! "

HTH...Jenn

Afterthought: do a search for sausage gravy...I know there is another one...I think this is the
way to find it, but don't have time to do it right now....at least I think this is it...
http://www.heartofacountryhome.wordp...for-breakfast/

Last edited by Jennywren; 06-03-2011 at 12:47 PM..
Jennywren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ChrisA
Stats: 239/224/135
WOE: Atkins - for pain control
Start Date: 04/29/11
I used whole eggs and added 2T of parmeson cheese (because everything is better with parmeson cheese), oh so good!

Hey, don't bother me, I'm eating BREAD!!!!!
ChrisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Linda has a sausage gravy recipe also.
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie1 View Post
PS...anyone have a good gravy recipe? I like a cream gravy...would coconut flour and HWC work to make it?
The easiest way to make delicious gravy to go over biscuits (and I fed this to my southern to tha bone brother, lol, and he DID NOT KNOW it wasn't a flour based white gravy-in fact he complimented it ) is:

Crumble and fry in a non stick skillet a package of sausage-my favorite is Jimmy Dean Sage.

When it's cook through, add enough heavy whipping cream to just cover the sausage, and add A LOT of ground black pepper. (To me it's not gravy unless it's peppery-but if you like less pepper, obviously follow your own tastes.)

Cook till it thickens, which won't take long, but don't overcook it or it will turn "oily". As soon as it looks like gravy, it is gravy.

I swear this is gravy. It is so good that even when I've gone off the wagon of low carb I still make my sausage gravy this way. It is sooooo easy and very delicious.

"The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Jennywren, SooBee and Katbelly, thank you for the gravy recipes. I will try all, and see which one works best for me. It's great to have so many good cooks around!!!

Carole
Old 06-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Boy, I'm going to try the bisquits and gravy. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Just made another batch of these (using the original recipe), and baked them in cookie pop pans. It made 8 of them, altho the last 4 were a little thinner and smaller. I used two of the last four to go on a Wendy' s single baconator, and I think this is my favorite bread now! They really hold up well, and that, along with a half of the new berry/almond salad w/the creamy jalapano red sauce, hit the spot. First I had eaten all day, and I was getting hungry. This did the trick!! Thanks so much to the originators of this quick, simple and very good recipe!

Carole
Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

I seem to be making at least 1 recipe, sometimes two, of these biscuits every week. Yesterday, I took two of them, toasted in sm convection/toaster oven, wrapped in foil, and took off to Cracker Barrel. Had my sugar free catsup with me also. Ordered the low-carb bacon cheeseburger, and a side salad. When it arrived, I added mustard, catsup and the meat, cheese, luttace and tomato. It was soooo good! Never knew I didn't have the high carb product. The rolls were these that I had made in the cookie pop pans. They even have the indent that the burger fits into perfectly. Anyway, my waitress was curious about them, and said her husband eats lo-carb. I gave her the recipe, told her where to find almond flour, and she is going to make him some. Today, I took the rolls to a bbq place, had them give me just plain bbq'd meat and plain slaw. I took my own hot and spicy Walden Farms BBq sauce (which I love), and had another delicious late lunch, early supper. I am so thankful to have this recipe....good for any meal and for snacks!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks so much for the ideas, Arkie! It's great to find more uses for these. Glad to see Snowwhite's old post, too! Arkie, I'm happy to hear these made a great BBQ sammie! I gotta try that. We love getting the pulled pork takeout from Sonny's.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Lauren, the thanks go to you! I made cinnamon toast (with cinnamon and ideal sweetener) and took them to Waffle House where I had the toast with the cheesey eggs/bacon. Another winner! Also, I mixed up a tblspn of p'nut butter with some Walden Farms strawberry syrup and put on one of the toasted biscuits/muffins. Hit the spot for a quick snack. I can honestly say that this is the most versitile lo-carb item I've found, and has become my all time favorite. Many KUDOS to you!