Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
How to make chocolate "chips"?

I have had it with low carb chocolate chips. They taste good, but give me gas. Yes, even the ones without SA's. My body doesn't like the inulin.

I have some very nice Callebaut unsweetened chocolate that I would like to make semisweet chocolate 'chips' out of - realizing, of course, that I will not be able to maintain the 'chip' shape.

I have the chocolate, Fiberfit, Sweetzfree on the way, some coconut oil, some cocoa butter, even some parrafin, if needed.

I live in Texas, so my house is often warmer than the 78 degree melting point of coconut oil.....

so any suggestions as to how I can make some chocolate 'chips' or 'chunks' for cookies and other LC delights?
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I just chop up 85% Lindt Dark Chocolate.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I just chop up 85% Lindt Dark Chocolate.
Well, that's an idea, but it has some sugar, no? Or is it the maltitol version? Can't do that one either.....I want truly sugar free if possible, with only sucralose or erythritol (forgot to mention I have erythritol) as a sweetener. I am sure I could just heat and stir them together, but I would like the chocolate to be a bit less brittle than it is right now. Slightly easier to chop up without a bunch of 'shards' to deal with.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #4

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
there are several recipes in this thread.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ml#post9561501
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you so much! A goldmine!

I have everything but the Splenda Quickpak, but I do have almost a pound of pure, uncut dry sucralose. I bet I can use just a tiny bit of that and it would work fine.

I definitely appreciate your pointing this out to me. I know what I'll be doing this evening!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post

I have everything but the Splenda Quickpak, but I do have almost a pound of pure, uncut dry sucralose. I bet I can use just a tiny bit of that and it would work fine.

I definitely appreciate your pointing this out to me. I know what I'll be doing this evening!
Hey, G, if you ever figure out a peanut butter chip, I'm all ears. I think we even have Kevin stumped on that one

I'll be in touch soon,
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
I have a recipe using Lindt 85% that's mighty tasty in chocolate chip cookies.

Go to this thread and scroll down a bit.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Well, that's an idea, but it has some sugar, no? Or is it the maltitol version? Can't do that one either.....I want truly sugar free if possible, with only sucralose or erythritol (forgot to mention I have erythritol) as a sweetener. I am sure I could just heat and stir them together, but I would like the chocolate to be a bit less brittle than it is right now. Slightly easier to chop up without a bunch of 'shards' to deal with.
Yes, it does have sugar! Not a lot granted, but more than I want to use. Several people do use the Lindt 85%, and do OK with it, but too much sugar for me. My body just doesn't tolerate it.
Laruen uses it in her recipes all the time. I always have to try to find something to substitute for it, then figure out how much more sweetener I need. Sometimes I do good, sometimes not.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
Sweet and Spicy Tart

Quote:

[COLOR="Magenta"]Do you have a Big Lots where you are? A lot of us are scoring BIG on Quick Packs thre...[/COLOR]
RockyMtnAngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

So I hear about the Quick Packs at Big Lots. Alas, not at the one I am close to. That's okay, though....I have plenty of options. The pure sucralose is hard to measure, and it does have a taste that is different from, say, granulated Splenda, but I think that's because of all the maltodextrin in the Splenda.

Mixed with the erythritol, it should work fine. I'm about to find out
Old 09-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Hey, G, if you ever figure out a peanut butter chip, I'm all ears. I think we even have Kevin stumped on that one

I'll be in touch soon,
Hey, I sure hope so. I have missed hearing from you!

Peanut butter chips. Hmmmm...Peanut butter needs something to make it stiffer...I have an idea I'll work on and see if it turns into anything.

I don't think you have any clue just how obsessed I am with peanut butter, anyway, or you never would have laid down this challenge. I have no fewer than SIX different kinds of peanut butter in my house at this very moment. Maybe I could spare a bit to try to make PB chips?

But first, it's chocolate, since I have gotten such wonderful advice here - but I'll be pondering on the peanut butter chips while I'm doing the chocolate!

UPDATE: OK, I just made the chocolate chunks! They are wonderful, and easy to make. I did make a few changes, of necessity. I didn't have any granulated erythritol, so I used powdered. I didn't read far enough down in the thread where Kevinpa said to increase the amount of erythritol if it was powdered - but it turned out to be the perfect amount of sweetness anyway.. That could be because instead of 1/4 C. heavy cream, I used 1/4 cup of MimicCreme (the kind with erythritol, though in the future I'll only be buying the unsweetened). I did have the cream, but just couldn't make myself use it. Despite the benefits of fat, too much fat makes me sick, so I have to minimize it when I can. Trust me, the flavor and/or texture of these chips/chunks did NOT suffer from these substitutions!

Thank you all for the input. Now I gotta go find the chocolate chip cookie recipe and get started on THAT!

Last edited by gharkness; 09-30-2008 at 04:04 PM..
Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
UPDATE: OK, I just made the chocolate chunks! They are wonderful, and easy to make.
Wow! Success on your first try! Let us know how they stand up to the heat of baking.

BTW, have you ever tried the ChocoPerfection bars sweetened with Erythritol and Oligofructose ("a sweet tasting dietary fiber made primarily from chicory [not the same as fructose])? I haven't, and they may give you the same problems as the others because of the fiber, but it might be worth a try if the home-made ones become too labor intensive.

P.S. I have some PB chips here (full sugar form the old days) that have whey protein as an ingredient, believe it or not! Might help to stiffen things up, but what's gonna keep 'em from melting away when heated? I'd love to figure out a way to use PB powder (low fat/cal/carbs) in a PB chip. I'd love it even more if you found a way
Old 10-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Bought some powdered milk and more palm oil shortening to work on these PB chips! What a fun idea, gharkness and retro. It's be so cool to have some of these handy for cupcakes and cookies!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:39 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
BTW, have you ever tried the ChocoPerfection bars sweetened with Erythritol and Oligofructose ("a sweet tasting dietary fiber made primarily from chicory [not the same as fructose])?
<snipped good stuff here>
P.S. I have some PB chips here (full sugar form the old days) that have whey protein as an ingredient, believe it or not! Might help to stiffen things up, but what's gonna keep 'em from melting away when heated? I'd love to figure out a way to use PB powder (low fat/cal/carbs) in a PB chip. I'd love it even more if you found a way
I haven't tried the ChocoPerfection bars. I have had my finger on the order button a couple of times, but the price kind of scared me away, since they are, after all, candy bars. Just how badly do *I* need a candy bar, after all?

I was going to work on the peanut butter chips last night, but I had promised my DD a Belgian Waffle for lunch today. We live 40 miles apart, but work within about a mile of each other, so we have lunch together once a week when she's not working in London.

Anyway, have any of you tried just making a protein drink kind of thick and cooking it in a waffle maker? You might be pleasantly surprised. I use the Lean Dessert Banana Nut Bread flavor protein, mix it with an egg or eggBeaters, add a little Davinci and some flaxmeal and/or some chia seeds and cook it in the Belgian Waffle maker. Turns out beautifully! Absolutely no flour, carbalose, or carbquik needed. My DD laughs at me for all the stuff I add, like flaxmeal and chia seeds (she says it looks like birdseed to her) but I think I'll have the last laugh on this one.

Anyway, by the time I had that all together, no time for pb chips. Maybe this weekend I'll get to do some playing with them. I have thought of using peanut flour but I think it's going to take real peanut butter, which poses a problem. If you use the non-hydrogenated PB, then the chips will likely not hold together too well, due to oil leakage. If you use the hydrogenated kind, then your arteries will notice. And all the no-stirs that use non-hydrogenated oils have sugar in them. Can't win for losin'...
Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Bought some powdered milk and more palm oil shortening to work on these PB chips! What a fun idea, gharkness and retro. It's be so cool to have some of these handy for cupcakes and cookies!
Oooh! Lauren's on the case!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My DD laughs at me for all the stuff I add, like flaxmeal and chia seeds (she says it looks like birdseed to her) but I think I'll have the last laugh on this one.
I know just what you mean! I tried to make some sort of roll/bread thingee last night and it had ALL (!) of these: flax, bran, carbquik, protein powder, almond flour, cellulose, and I can't even remember what else.

And yes, it was a complete disaster!

Quote:
Can't win for losin'...
You are a hoot
Old 10-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Well, just got back from lunch with DD, and sure enough, I had the last laugh! She ended up taking home half my waffle as well as the rest of hers, PLUS most of the chocolate/pb sauce I made to put on them.

That's what kids are good for...charming ya outta house and home She did say she'd be buying a waffle iron TODAY.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, just got back from lunch with DD, and sure enough, I had the last laugh! She ended up taking home half my waffle as well as the rest of hers, PLUS most of the chocolate/pb sauce I made to put on them.

That's what kids are good for...charming ya outta house and home She did say she'd be buying a waffle iron TODAY.
She's pretty fortunate that she's got you leading the way
Old 10-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Well, wouldja believe it? I made peanut butter chips! Now before you go all crazy, realize that I was just experimenting so I don't have exact quantities down, but if I can do this, you can too.

Here are the things I thought about when considering making the pb chips:

1) Peanut butter isn't remotely like chocolate, in that it's very soft at room temperature.
2) PB, to be safe and healthy, should not have hydrogenated oils or sugar. That pretty much limits us to the 'natural' or 'stir' kind of pb, which could be a problem.
3) We need some sort of ingredient that will be reasonably hard at room temperature, and we need something to soak up the extra oil in the natural pb.

So I started with about half a cup of regular, creamy, 'natural' peanut butter in a small nonstick pan on the stove. To this I added about 1/3 cup of peanut flour. This can be purchased at several places, but the tastiest I have found with the best roast is from USA Emergency Supply. You can google it.

Then I sifted half a cup of powdered erythritol directly into the pan and added 1/4 tsp Sweetzfree. (These are the only measurements I have that are exact). Stir, stir, stir, and heat. I find that a flexible silicone spatula works very well for this.

Added about 2 T. Cocoa butter, but that's hard to measure due to it being in chunks. Then, here's the biggie: I remembered from my childhood that my mother used to use paraffin when making candies, to harden them at room temperature. So I added probably about 1 to 1 1/2 T. paraffin and heated and stirred until it was fully incorporated. (I used Gulf Wax brand - it's in the canning section at Walmart.)

NOTE: Paraffin melts at a MUCH higher temperature than cocoa butter. This means a couple of things: you have to be careful to stir well so as not to burn the peanut butter, you MUST watch your pan because paraffin WILL catch on fire if you are not careful, and last but not least, it will burn the HECK out of your mouth if you just 'have' to take a little taste. I know this very well because my taste buds are right at this moment still not recovered from my experiment.

Once the paraffin was completely melted and stirred in, I Pammed a plate and followed the basic instructions for the chocolate chips. Threw it in the freezer for a few minutes, checked for hardness, cut it up and broke it apart. (This isn't part of the recipe, but I licked the plate, too, to pick up all the little crumbs that stayed behind. PB chips are a tiny bit crumbier than chocolate chips, but I bet we can fix that....)

Then I waited a couple of hours to see if it was going to melt into a gooey mess at room temperature. It DIDN'T!! Tastes good too (but then, I am firmly convinced that if there's a heaven, all its swimming pools are filled with either chocolate or peanut butter, and the BEST ones are a mixture of both)!

I am sure that there are many tweaks and perhaps better and other ways to get a good peanut butter chip, but all in all, I think this was a success! One thing that can/would ruin your experiment would be to use too much paraffin. Too much would make it waxy, so just a little bit will do.

If you decide to try it, let me know, OK, so we can see if it was duplicable.

Last edited by gharkness; 10-05-2008 at 03:59 PM..
Old 10-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, wouldja believe it? I made peanut butter chips! Now before you go all crazy, realize that I was just experimenting so I don't have exact quantities down, but if I can do this, you can too.

Here are the things I thought about when considering making the pb chips:

1) Peanut butter isn't remotely like chocolate, in that it's very soft at room temperature.
2) PB, to be safe and healthy, should not have hydrogenated oils or sugar. That pretty much limits us to the 'natural' or 'stir' kind of pb, which could be a problem.
3) We need some sort of ingredient that will be reasonably hard at room temperature, and we need something to soak up the extra oil in the natural pb.

So I started with about half a cup of regular, creamy, 'natural' peanut butter in a small nonstick pan on the stove. To this I added about 1/3 cup of peanut flour. This can be purchased at several places, but the tastiest I have found with the best roast is from USA Emergency Supply. You can google it.

Then I sifted half a cup of powdered erythritol directly into the pan and added 1/4 tsp Sweetzfree. (These are the only measurements I have that are exact). Stir, stir, stir, and heat. I find that a flexible silicone spatula works very well for this.

Added about 2 T. Cocoa butter, but that's hard to measure due to it being in chunks. Then, here's the biggie: I remembered from my childhood that my mother used to use paraffin when making candies, to harden them at room temperature. So I added probably about 1 to 1 1/2 T. paraffin and heated and stirred until it was fully incorporated. (I used Gulf Wax brand - it's in the canning section at Walmart.)

NOTE: Paraffin melts at a MUCH higher temperature than cocoa butter. This means a couple of things: you have to be careful to stir well so as not to burn the peanut butter, you MUST watch your pan because paraffin WILL catch on fire if you are not careful, and last but not least, it will burn the HECK out of your mouth if you just 'have' to take a little taste. I know this very well because my taste buds are right at this moment still not recovered from my experiment.

Once the paraffin was completely melted and stirred in, I Pammed a plate and followed the basic instructions for the chocolate chips. Threw it in the freezer for a few minutes, checked for hardness, cut it up and broke it apart. (This isn't part of the recipe, but I licked the plate, too, to pick up all the little crumbs that stayed behind. PB chips are a tiny bit crumbier than chocolate chips, but I bet we can fix that....)

Then I waited a couple of hours to see if it was going to melt into a gooey mess at room temperature. It DIDN'T!! Tastes good too (but then, I am firmly convinced that if there's a heaven, all its swimming pools are filled with either chocolate or peanut butter, and the BEST ones are a mixture of both)!

I am sure that there are many tweaks and perhaps better and other ways to get a good peanut butter chip, but all in all, I think this was a success! One thing that can/would ruin your experiment would be to use too much paraffin. Too much would make it waxy, so just a little bit will do.

If you decide to try it, let me know, OK, so we can see if it was duplicable.
Hi G:

Well, there you go, forcing me to get yet ANOTHER specialty ingredient -- I don't have any paraffin on hand but will definitely get some and give this a try. (Also don't keep cocoa butter around -- would coconut oil or butter work?)

Do you think these will hold up in a baking application?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #21

Great work gharkness. I tried your experiment with a twist and they turned out very nice. I am quite sure they will hold up to baking also.

Here was my stab but I wish I had some small molds.

1/2 cup pb powder
1/2 cup powdered erythritol
2 T davinci pb syrup
1 T smart balance pb
10 grams parifin wax small shreds

Combine all ingredients in 3 cup mini-prep food processor.(it will be like a thick paste)

Transfer to a non-stick sauce pan and heat on low until you can no longer see any wax.

drop small amounts on foil and let set in fridge for 5 min.

roll drops into ball and let set 10 min more.

This made 60 little balls that are about twice the size of chocolate chips.
In the 3rd picture I cut a ball in half and it was about the size of a regular chip.

If I had a chip mold that would have worked greaT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00030a.jpg (40.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00031a.jpg (34.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00032a.jpg (32.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi G:

Well, there you go, forcing me to get yet ANOTHER specialty ingredient -- I don't have any paraffin on hand but will definitely get some and give this a try. (Also don't keep cocoa butter around -- would coconut oil or butter work?)

Do you think these will hold up in a baking application?
Hey, retro - where's my email?

The melting point of coconut oil is around 78 degrees F, so using only that would keep the pb chips from ever setting up (at least at my house....). The melting point of cocoa butter is 93-100 degrees F, which helps a lot, and gives good texture. The melting point of paraffin is about 125 degrees, which is much more stable. I did notice after one too many trips past the chips I made, that they began to crumble at the bottom of the pile (as I dug through them to get yet one more taste.....)

KevinPA, THANK YOU for your additions. I will try your method next and see how it works. You are much more patient than I am, though, if you are willing to roll these into little balls.

It WOULD be nice to have a mold, wouldn't it?

Last edited by gharkness; 10-06-2008 at 11:21 AM..
Old 10-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #23

I was real curious as to how they would stand up to baking so I made 1/2 batch of my chocolate chip cookies with the addition of these chips.

Chocolate, peanut butter chip cookies?

or

Reese's chip cookies

BTW I was impressed how well they stood up to the heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00001a.jpg (36.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00004a.jpg (46.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00006a.jpg (65.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I was real curious as to how they would stand up to baking so I made 1/2 batch of my chocolate chip cookies with the addition of these chips.

Chocolate, peanut butter chip cookies?

or

Reese's chip cookies

BTW I was impressed how well they stood up to the heat.
G & KevinPA:

Oh. My. Gawd!

P.S: How 'bout spreading these out maybe 1/4 inch deep in an 8 x 8 ish greased pan or silicone mold when freezing, then popping out the frozen "sheet" (or pieces of the sheet) and cutting 1/4 inch wide horiz and vert strips so that you end up with 1/4" square "chips" to pop back in to freezer? Probably easier than rolling into balls?? If you have one of those bakers flour/bench scrapers or even a good large sharp metal spatula, you can just press and cut that way. . . .

Last edited by retroworx; 10-06-2008 at 12:50 PM..
Old 10-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
These look too good. I will have to try to make the chips, although I would prefer a less labor intensive method if I can figure one out.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hey, retro - where's my email?
Too busy running out to get the darned paraffin!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
retroworx, I just saw your post. That way sounds much easier. I wonder if it would work?
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #28

lol it only took 15 mins to roll all 60 and cut in half. When you cut them in half they look just like chips without the point on top.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
These look too good. I will have to try to make the chips, although I would prefer a less labor intensive method if I can figure one out.
Hi Soobee:

Kevin's doesn't look all that labor intensive -- pulse all in processor then melt in saucepan (or knowing me, I will try microwave). The rolling can probably be steamlined as I mention above. . . .
Old 10-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
retroworx, I just saw your post. That way sounds much easier. I wonder if it would work?
Well, it worked just fine on a version of PB fudge I made a while back that didn't set up even as hard as this, I suspect. Nice little uniform squares for compulsive me