Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: WenB
Stats: 311 (h)/247.8 (i)/241 (c)/20-24% Body Fat (g)
WOE: Lap Band - Atkins Modified for Candida - BMR
Start Date: Induction on 7/22/08; Surgery 12/06
Frozen Cream - What to Do?

I froze 3 pints of good organic heavy whipping cream - not realizing that the texture wouldn't be normal when they thawed.

It's very grainy - and when it started to thaw, the butter fat was in it's own layer on the watery stuff.

Can I use it in baking - thinking quiches, etc - or would I be better off making butter with it?

WenB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WenB View Post
I froze 3 pints of good organic heavy whipping cream - not realizing that the texture wouldn't be normal when they thawed.

It's very grainy - and when it started to thaw, the butter fat was in it's own layer on the watery stuff.

Can I use it in baking - thinking quiches, etc - or would I be better off making butter with it?

Throw it in the food processor (thawed), with a little salt. Process it until you have butter (you'll know). Drain the whey, pack it into a serving tub, and eat it!
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by WenB View Post

I once tried to freeze heavy cream, too, and had the same results as you. I don't know whether it would work for baking, but it does work added to hot liquids, such as coffee, tea, or soups, as well as for butter. That's how I used up what I had.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I wonder if you could use it to make ice cream by using a cooked custard? Does cooking it dissolve the fat/grainy-ness? Maybe alfredo sauce? Cream of celery soup (or any cream based soups). Maybe make smoothies (blending with coffee and ice and sweetener). Egg creams? There is a baked custard recipe floating around that folks rave about, wonder if it would work in that (if cooking helps the consistency). I'm not sure if any of those suggestions would work as I haven't tried it with thawed cream. Best of luck!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
I have not had any luck with using frozen cream for anything but butter. Freezing it changes the consistency in a way that cooking doesn't seem to cure....
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
From Cooks Illustrated

Quote:
Freezing Cream

Can I freeze cream?According to USDA guidelines, heavy cream can be frozen for up to four months. To see if freezing would change the flavor or texture of the cream, we froze several samples in 1-cup increments (in airtight containers) for three days and allowed them to thaw in the refrigerator before using them in three applications: fettuccine Alfredo, caramel sauce, and a whipped cream topping. These recipes were also made with fresh heavy cream for comparison.

After removing the frozen and thawed heavy cream from the refrigerator, we noticed a change in its appearance. Even though the cream was completely thawed, it had some grainy, hard flecks suspended within it. After further research, we found that freezing can cause some of the cream's homogenized microscopic fat globules (invisible to the naked eye) to merge into larger, very visible fat globules. But once the cream was heated and reduced down in the Alfredo sauce, most tasters couldn't detect much of a difference between the two samples in terms of flavor or texture. A few tasters felt the Alfredo sauce made with fresh cream had a slightly richer, creamier texture with "more body," but both batches were given a thumbs up. The same went for the caramel sauce (made by adding hot, simmered cream and flavorings to a sugar syrup). Both versions were fine, with several people actually preferring the frozen version. The only application in which the frozen cream faltered was the whipped cream topping. Although the previously frozen cream took 15 seconds less to whip up to soft peaks, it didn't have the smooth, fluffy texture of the fresh. The small bits of fat that had separated out from the cream gave the final product a lumpy quality.

So where does that leave us? It's fine to use previously frozen cream in cooked recipes, but not when a fluffy whipped texture is paramount.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: WenB
Stats: 311 (h)/247.8 (i)/241 (c)/20-24% Body Fat (g)
WOE: Lap Band - Atkins Modified for Candida - BMR
Start Date: Induction on 7/22/08; Surgery 12/06
Very cool shadowzip. Thank you for the information.
WenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
so does this mean we cant freeze left over "already whipped/fluffy" cream and expect it to be "whipped/fluffy" when defrosted? as i was looking for a rough idea on whether the texture would be the same - and it appears from a few "tips" found around the net ....
Drop large spoonfuls of leftover whipped cream on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze. Once frozen individually, store them in a freezer bag. You can use them on desserts, coffee, or hot chocolate. Use within two weeks..

does this mean the above method does not work?
bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I've frozen blops of whipped cream and then defrosted them and they were fine, but they're even BETTER if you eat them frozen - like ice cream!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
thanks charski, as i usually eat on my own, i used to have to discard half the serving as i never managed to consume in time. Im glad to learn i can freeze it, cheers for the info!!
bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote