Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lee1112
Stats: 260/190/150
WOE: Atkins
Is Erythritol really 0 net carbs?

I've been on the net today looking for low carb desserts and some people are using Erythritol. It is touted as 0 net carbs. Is that really true?
lee1112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bobo36us
Stats: 248/181/165
WOE: EAT, DRINK, & BE MERRY!!!!!!!
Start Date: 09/08/08
I LOVE Erythritol !

It is my sweetener of choice.

It does have a little bit of a 'cooling' effect, kind of like when you breathe in after having a mint or a spearmint lifesaver, so it is not perfect for every recipe.

But it is really cool because it is heat stable, and adds the bulk to recipes that regular sugar does.

For best results, I will usually use about 80% Erythritol, 10% Splenda, 10% Stevia. When you combine the sweeteners like that, the sum total of sweetness is much greater than each one individually (For example 1 + 1 + 1 = 5).

It is a regular part of my diet, and I have still lost 17 pounds on Day 13 of my two week induction.

Bobo
bobo36us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Erythritol has the best nutritional profile of all the sugar alcohols. It has .02 usable calories per gram. So, in order to make 1 gram of carb, you need to use enough erythritol to make 4 calories. That would be 4 calories divided by .02 calories per gram = 200 grams of erythritol to make one gram of carb.

I think it could be considered functionally zero carbs, since you are unlikely to eat 200 grams of erythritol in one sitting.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
Erythritol has the best nutritional profile of all the sugar alcohols. It has .02 usable calories per gram. So, in order to make 1 gram of carb, you need to use enough erythritol to make 4 calories. That would be 4 calories divided by .02 calories per gram = 200 grams of erythritol to make one gram of carb.

I think it could be considered functionally zero carbs, since you are unlikely to eat 200 grams of erythritol in one sitting.

what is it in oz. or cups
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
what is it in oz. or cups

I just weighed my granular erythritol and 1/8 cup was 25 grams which makes 200 grams about 1 cup.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lee1112
Stats: 260/190/150
Thanks SO much for the input!
lee1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I have been working on a cooked chocolate pie filling/pudding which I am adapting from my 43 year old Betty Crocker cookbook. I am substituting Hoods Calorie Countdown for the milk and erythritol and sweetzfree for the sugar. First try was wayyyy too sweet, made it again tonight and cut back on both sweetners, waiting for it to cool to try this version. It does have that cooling effect, which isn't bad, but want to do a little more tweaking. I did use cornstarch but cut back on what was in the recipe since I was really trying for more of a pudding. Looks promising and I love pudding.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
Buffy, any results from the chocolate pie test? It sounds wonderful!
Sweeteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
The last test was last night, and I am still not satisfied with it and not sure what to try next. It just has too much of the cooling effect, it tastes both too sweet and too cool for pudding. If I come up with something I think is good, I will post it.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Lounge Chef & Typo Queen!!

Gallery: SnowWhite
Stats: 450/ Ugh/185
Start Date: 5/26/03 * WLS 1/15/04
Iagree with the previous poster..IMO it's way to sweet for me too. The package of ZSweet says 1 cup is the same sweeteness as sugar...but I really found it to be TOO sweet in the bean brownies I made. I think I'll try what others have suggested. Maybe 1/2 erythritol & 1/2 splenda.

IMO it also has a bad lingering aftertaste.
SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kathy76
Stats: (313)282/160.8/155-160
Start Date: 9/19/05
Has anyone tried the new Truvia sweetener? I finally got some at my Kroger store yesterday. It was on sale for 2.99 for a 40 count box.

For those of you who have never heard of it google it It is a combo of stevia and erythritol in a small packet. There are 3g carbs in it from the erythritol. I think it is pretty good and love the combo
kathy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Buffy, you might want to search Kevin's recipes and threads. He says that adding NotSugar with Erythritol reduces the cooling effect. At least I know he has a formula for adding it to powdered E to reduce cooling - for icing, etc. I don't know if it will have that effect in a cooked food but he does add it to a lot of his baked products.
____
Judy
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Erythritol doesn't have an aftertaste if it's dissolved (has to be a lot of moisture in the recipe). It works like a DREAM in cakes and muffins. Just made some cupcakes with it and they are perfectly fluffy and moist, with no aftertaste.

ZSweet might not be a very good brand, SnowWhite. All I know is that ZSweet is WAY too expensive to make mistakes with if you paid as much as I did at the health food store, LOL. Honeyville Grain sells huge bags of their brand of quality erythritol. NuNaturals erythritol is good, too. So is Netrition's erythritol if you don't mind the small quantity!

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 09-25-2008 at 09:00 PM..
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missymagoo12
Stats: 235/225/145
WOE: stellastyle,atkins
Start Date: april 2004
i am thinking abpout try ing the erythritol. i am wanting to cook more and bake more . there is a few other items i want to try also. sue
missymagoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:26 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy76 View Post
Has anyone tried the new Truvia sweetener?
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Hi Kathy...
We like it on berries as it has a granular mouth feel much like sugar. I agree with Snow White that it is much sweeter than it's counterparts (like Splenda).
[/COLOR]
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Erythritol doesn't have an aftertaste if it's dissolved (has to be a lot of moisture in the recipe). It works like a DREAM in cakes and muffins. Just made some cupcakes with it and they are perfectly fluffy and moist, with no aftertaste.
Well, I made some chocolate cake with granular Erythritol this morning and somehow managed to achieve the cooling affect!
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
P.S. I think I remember reading somewhere on here that even after dissolving, there are some circumstances where Erythritol recrystalizes. . . .
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Did you find it here Larry? If so, where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
P.S. I think I remember reading somewhere on here that even after dissolving, there are some circumstances where Erythritol recrystalizes. . . .
Yep, it sure can! Matter of fact, I never even got it (or at least didn't notice it) in much of anything for a long time. But I am starting to notice it more & more. And seems like the recipes that people say they don't get it in is the ones I get it the most. Matter of fact I got it the most I think I've ever gotten it in Laruen's brownies. And mine haven't come out gooey yet. They always turn out dry. But maybe I end up overbaking them. Oops sorry for the threadjack.

Back to the original question........ Does anyone think the carbs should be counted? I don't think I have them counted in my Master Cook, but wonder if I should. ???

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 09-26-2008 at 03:47 PM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
But I am starting to notice it more & more. And seems like the recipes that people say they don't get it in is the ones I get it the most.
Billie since I know you use my flour mix on occation, I am curious if you ever notice the cooling effect when using it with erythritol since it has the not/sugar built into the mix?

btw I never count the erythritol.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Did you find it here Larry? If so, where?

Yep, it sure can! Matter of fact, I never even got it (or at least didn't notice it) in much of anything for a long time. But I am starting to notice it more & more. And seems like the recipes that people say they don't get it in is the ones I get it the most. Matter of fact I got it the most I think I've ever gotten it in Laruen's brownies. And mine haven't come out gooey yet. They always turn out dry. But maybe I end up overbaking them. Oops sorry for the threadjack.

Back to the original question........ Does anyone think the carbs should be counted? I don't think I have them counted in my Master Cook, but wonder if I should. ???
You will DEFINITELY taste the cooling effect if you dry out the brownies! The moisture is what keeps 'em from getting "cool." If you leave out any baked good with erythritol (especially something chocolaty), the air will dry it out and start getting the sugar to crystallize because erythritol doesn't attract moisture.

Those brownies are a bit tricky because of the cookie time. Sorry you've had trouble with those!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Well, I made some chocolate cake with granular Erythritol this morning and somehow managed to achieve the cooling affect!
Chocolate is so tricky to work with! Perhaps the crystalline structure of the cocoa butter does something to cause the erythritol to recrystallize more quickly.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Kevin, Yes I do use your mix for a lot of things. But I'm afraid it has been awhile since I have made any desserts with it. (I make bread with your mix a couple times or so a week tho! but I don't use Erythitol in it. Gotta bake bread tomorrow!) I'm sorry to say, I can't remember if I got the cooling effect when I made anything with or not. As I said, I almost never used to notice it anyway. But I do usually use it a only one of the sweeteners. Usually do a combo of several sweeteners. Sorry I couldn't help there.
I did make the coconut macaroonies sometime back tho. And it seems as tho I remember a very slight (VERY slight) cooling effect with them. It wasn't bad tho, and not unpleasant.

Lauren, I do think I'm overbaking the brownies. I made them the first time without the water bath. Then I used the water bath. I had a hard time knowing when they were done. And it seemed they went from too raw to overbaked in nothing flat. I didn't leave them out in the air. When they were cool, I put them in a sealed container. But I understand what you mean. The longer they had been baked, the dryer they got, and the more cooling effect. I could really tell the re-crystalization by the time I ate the last one.

Quote:
Sorry you've had trouble with those!
It's not your fault I can't bake Lauren.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eastbruce
Stats: 202/187/120
WOE: JUDDD,Low Carb, High Fat
Is Erythitol one of the sugar alcohols?
eastbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:22 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jamingrs
Stats: 224.8/196.0/155
Start Date: Sometime in 2000
I've never seen anyone else post this about Erythitol, but it gives me horrible cramps just like the sugar alcohols. I threw away a big bag of it.
jamingrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: efurtado
Erythritol in cheese cake?

Hi! I keep reading about this cooling effect......Does that mean minty or like bengay? Would it be ok to use in a New York cheese cake recipe? I would like to make it for Thanksgiving, but I am the only diabetic in the group. I was hoping to make the cheese cake without anyone knowing I used a sugar substitute! Is that even possible? Can I just use it in the same measurement as sugar? By the way, I hate the flavor of Stevia but can tolerate splenda. I am looking for no aftertaste!
Thanks!
E
efurtado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I've actually had the best luck using Erythritol in cheesecakes with no noticable cooling effect (it's not minty just has a cooling sensation like mints have when you breathe in while eating them). I used less than the recipe called for (I don't like things super sweet anymore). Maybe it's because it's so high in moisture and fat, and there are stabilizers in cream cheese. I made one and brought it to a party and no one could believe it was sugar free. It works great in baked goods too that stay moist. I would agree chocolate is the most difficult, it always seems to have a bit of the cooling effect (even when I use things like xanathan gum and Not/Sugar).
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbruce View Post
Is Erythitol one of the sugar alcohols?
Yes, it is, although it causes hardly any gastric distress for most people, because of the way it is digested.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:40 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Why don't you mix splenda and erythritol for your cheesecake? You would get the best from both sweeteners.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I was thinking the same thing. I never use Erythritol alone, but it works well mixed with Sweetzfree (liquid Splenda). I make three different flavors of cheesecake and I usually use 17-18 drops Sweetzfree and 1/4 cup of E. The sweetness is just right (i think it equals about one cup of sugar sweetness)and I don't taste any aftertaste. I'm sensitive to aftertastes, too!
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Why don't you mix splenda and erythritol for your cheesecake? You would get the best from both sweeteners.
Splenda triggers migraines for me, so I don't use it ever. I do use a combo of Erythritol (or Xylitol) and stevia.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote