Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Help-- can't figure our the carb counts for this...

This is an Ethiopian dish.. I made it the other night and then was afraid to eat much of it...

Doro Wat Deluxe

(Ethiopian chicken in red pepper paste)

Doro wat is perhaps the best known food from Ethiopia and is often referred to as the Ethiopian national dish. This recipe makes a very tasty version with a deep, rich flavor and tender chicken pieces. Making your own homemade berberé is not difficult and is essential to give the dish the proper flavor. Doro wat is traditionally very spicy, but you can adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to your liking. Also spelled doro wot or doro wet.

4-6 servings

* Chicken legs and thighs, skinless -- 2 pounds ( * I use faux duck for vegetarians, could also use my fried tofu served in doro or alicha wat sauce with injera or rice and greens)

* Lemon, juice only -- 1
* Salt -- 2 teaspoons
* Onions, chopped -- 2
* Garlic, crushed -- 3 cloves
* Ginger-root, peeled and chopped -- 1 tablespoon
* Oil, butter or niter kibbeh -- 1/4 cup
* Paprika -- 2 tablespoons
* Berberé paste -- 1/4-1/2 cup
* Water or stock -- 3/4 cup
* Red wine -- 1/4 cup
* Cayenne pepper -- from 1/2 to 2 teaspoons
* Salt and pepper -- to taste
* Hard-boiled eggs (optional) -- 4

Method

1. Mix together the chicken pieces, lemon juice and salt and in a large, non-reactive bowl and set aside to marinate for about 30 minutes.

2. While the chicken is marinating, puree the onions, garlic and ginger in a food processor or blender. Add a little water if necessary.

3. Heat the oil, butter or niter kibbeh in a large pot over medium flame. Add the paprika and stir in to color the oil and cook the spice through, about 1 minute. Do not burn. Stir in the berberé paste and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

4. Add the onion-garlic-ginger puree and sauté until most of the moisture evaporates and the onion cooks down and loses its raw aroma, about 5-10 minutes. Do not allow the mixture to burn.

5. Pour in the water or stock and wine and stir in the chicken pieces, cayenne to taste, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add water as necessary to maintain a sauce-like consistency.

6. Add the whole hard boiled eggs and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and very tender.

7. Adjust seasoning and serve hot with injera bread or rice.

Variations

Traditionally, the pureed onions are cooked first in a dry pan without any oil. The liquid evaporates out and they take on a unique toasted flavor. If you'd like to try this method, just make sure your flame isn't so high it burns the onions, and stir constantly. Then add the oil, butter or niter kibbeh, paprika and the berberé and proceed with the recipe.

* Sik Sik Wat: Substitute 2 pounds of cubed stewing beef for the chicken. Proceed with the recipe.

* Vegetable Wat: Substitute 2 pounds of small zucchini, halved and quartered. Proceed with the recipe, but just cook long enough for the zucchini to be cooked through and soft.

* Doro Alich'a: Eliminate the paprika and berberé and substitute white wine for the red wine.

* Lamb or fish may also be substituted for the chicken in this recipe.

* Chicken breast can be used, but the result won't be as tender and moist.

* If you don't want to use red wine, just use a full cup of water or stock.

Berberé Paste

(Ethiopian red pepper spice paste)

Berberé, along with niter kibbeh, supplies one of the unique flavors of Ethiopian cuisine. There really is no substitute. Use as many of the spices as you have, but try to use fenugreek and the dried peppers or paprika. They supply an essential flavor.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups

* Whole cumin -- 2 teaspoons
* Red pepper flakes -- 1-2 teaspoons
* Cardamom seeds -- 1 teaspoon
* Fenugreek seeds -- 1 teaspoon
* Whole peppercorns -- 8
* Allspice berries -- 6
* Whole cloves -- 4
* New Mexico dried chilies -- 3-4
* Onion, chopped -- 1
* Garlic, crushed -- 3 cloves
* Paprika -- 1 tablespoon
* Salt -- 1 tablespoon
* Ginger, ground -- 1 teaspoon
* Turmeric -- 1 teaspoon
* Cayenne pepper -- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon
* Nutmeg -- 1/2 teaspoon
* Oil -- 1/2 cup
* Water or red wine -- 1/4 cup

Method

1. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium flame. Add the whole spices and toast, stirring for about 2-3 minutes until they give off their aroma. Do not burn. Remove from heat.
2. Over an open flame, lightly toast the New Mexico chilies, turning quickly from side to side until they soften and become flexible. Do not burn. Remove the stems and seeds and roughly chop.
3. Put the spices and dried peppers into a spice or coffee grinder and grind to a powder.
4. Put the ground toasted spices into a food processor or blender along with the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
5. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze portions for later use.

Variations

* Berberé Powder: omit the onion, garlic, water and oil. Mix all the spices together and store in an airtight jar. Add the powder when paste is called for in recipes.

* You can make berbere as spicy or as mild as you like. Just vary the amount of pepper flakes and cayenne in the recipe.

* If you don't have all the whole spices, substitute an equivalent amount of ground. Eliminate the toasting step.

* If New Mexico chilies are not available, substitute another Mexican-style dried chile: anchos, guajilla, etc. If no dried chilies are available, substitute 2 more tablespoons of paprika.

Niter Kibbeh

Take unsalted butter and melt it slowly, cook it so that the moisture in the butter evaporates — the milk solids will sink to the bottom of the pan — strain the clear liquid from the top, and you have clarified butter. Clarified butter can be used for cooking at higher temperatures than normal butter. It also keeps longer. The ghee used in Indian cuisine is a kind of clarified butter.

Ethiopia's Niter Kibbeh (Nit'ir Qibe) is a spiced clarified butter, something like India's ghee, but flavored with spices. It is used in many Ethiopian dishes, for example, Doro Wat. It is usually made in large quantities and kept on hand for daily use.

What you need

* one pound butter (unsalted), cut into pieces
* two cloves garlic, finely chopped
* one small piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped (about two teaspoons
* one very small onion (a couple of tablespoons), very finely chopped
* one-half teaspoon ground turmeric
* one-half teaspoon ground cardamom
* one-eighth teaspoon ground nutmeg
* one-eighth teaspoon ground fenugreek
* one piece of cinnamon stick (half inch)
* one whole clove

What you do

* If possible the turmeric, cardamom, nutmeg, and fenugreek should be fresh ground from seed, then toasted. If that is impractical, already-ground spices may be briefly toasted in a hot, dry skillet.
* In heavy saucepan, heat the butter over moderate heat. Stir and turn the pieces so that they melt evenly. Do not allow thr melted butter to brown or bubble — lower heat if necessary.
* As soon as all of the it is melted, increase the heat and quickly bring it to all to a bubbly butter boil. A mass of small bubble will form on the top. Stir in the "wet" ingredients: the garlic, ginger, and onion. Cook for a minute or two, then add the "dry" ingredients: the turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and fenugreek. Reduce heat to a very low simmer.
* Simmer on a very low heat for thirty minutes to an hour. Do not stir. The milk soilds should sink to the bottom of the pan. A clear butter liquid should float on top.
* Carefully strain the liquid through a clean cloth (cheesecloth). Repeat as necessary to obtain a liquid that is clear and free of spices and milk solids.
* Pour the niter kebbeh into a clean jar with an airtight cover. Keep in the refrigerator and use as needed. Niter Kebbeh will turn solidi when chilled. Will keep for three months.

There are variations of the basic niter kibbeh recipe. Even if you don't have all of the spices the recipe calls for, you can make perfectly good niter kibbeh if you have most of them. Fenugreek is the most essential.

Injera is made from Teff flout-- however in the u.S.-- it includes white flour-- because we are too humid for making Injera. So I have very little of it. :blush:

What I'm trying to do is figure out the carb count for this and diminish it, it possible.

Re-starting Meat and Egg Fast :1/13/14

Size:18/20* 14/16* 10/ 11/12 * 9/10 * 8/9* 7/8
I have no idea what I weigh.

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try."
Alexander the Great
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2008, 05:44 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
What a great post!

I have no idea of the carb count, but other than the obvious carbs in rice or flour (I'm still absorbing the receipe) I'd think you could enjoy this with no problems.

I love how you've walked us through making this and it sounds sooooo good!
Su11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Wow Erica, that sounds amazing. I'm going to see if I can find some of these ingredients in my Central Market today. I'd love to make this for dinner!!
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su11 View Post
What a great post!

I have no idea of the carb count, but other than the obvious carbs in rice or flour (I'm still absorbing the recipe) I'd think you could enjoy this with no problems.

I love how you've walked us through making this and it sounds sooooo good!
I have tweaked this quite a bit. I don't use any flour at all-- I thicken my sauce with a bit of Nutritional Yeast, and a little Xanathan Gum. Cooking it down helps quite a bit. I don't use any sugar-- I subbed splenda, about 1/4 teaspoon. It could probably be very nicely done in the crockpot.

I also serve this over Cauli-fried rice, and with Injera-- which is made from Teff Flour-- however I rarely have much of it.

This is from http://chetday.com/teff.html

Whole Grains: Teff (Eragrostis)

by Karen Railey

Karen is the author of the popular eBook, How to Improve Fading Memory and Thinking Skills with Nutrition.

Teff is an intriguing grain, ancient, minute in size, and packed with nutrition. Teff is believed to have originated in Ethiopia between 4000 and 1000 BC. Teff seeds were discovered in a pyramid thought to date back to 3359 BC.

The grain has been widely cultivated and used in the countries of Ethiopia, India and it's colonies, and Australia. Teff is grown primarily as a cereal crop in Ethiopia where it is ground into flour, fermented for three days then made into enjera, a sourdough type flat bread. It is also eaten as porridge and used as an ingredient of home-brewed alcoholic drinks. The grass is grown as forage for cattle and is also used as a component in adobe construction in Ethiopia. At this time it is not widely known or used in the U.S., though it is cultivated in South Dakota and Idaho and is available in many health food stores.

The word teff is thought to have been derived from the Amharic word teffa which means "lost," due to small size of the grain and how easily it is lost if dropped. It is the smallest grain in the world, measuring only about 1/32 of an inch in diameter and taking 150 grains to weigh as much as one grain of wheat. The common English names for teff are teff, lovegrass, and annual bunch grass.

Because the grains of teff are so small, the bulk of the grain consists of the bran and germ. This makes teff nutrient dense as the bran and germ are the most nutritious parts of any grain. This grain has a very high calcium content, and contains high levels of phosphorous, iron, copper, aluminum, barium, and thiamin. It is considered to have an excellent amino acid composition, with lysine levels higher than wheat or barley. Teff is high in protein, carbohydrates, and fiber. It contains no gluten so it is appropriate for those with gluten intolerance.

The color of the Teff grains can be ivory, light tan to deep brown or dark reddish brown purple, depending on the variety. Teff has a mild, nutty, and a slight molasses like sweetness. The white teff has a chestnut-like flavor and the darker varieties are earthier and taste more like hazelnuts. The grain is somewhat mucilaginous. It is interesting that documents dated in the late 1800's indicate the upper class consumed the lighter grains, the dark grain was the food of soldiers and servants, and cattle consumed hay made from teff.

Teff is a fine stemmed, tufted annual grass characterized by a large crown, many shoots, and a shallow diverse root system. The plants germinate quickly and are adapted to environments ranging from drought stress to water logged soil conditions. It is a reliable low risk crop. There are 250 known species of Eragrostis, or love grasses, but only a few are of significant agricultural value.

Teff is a very versatile grain. Teff flour can be used as a substitute for part of the flour in baked goods, or the grains added uncooked or substituted for part of the seeds, nuts, or other small grains. Due to it's small size, only 1/2 Cup of teff is needed to replace 1 cup of sesame seeds. It is a good thickener for soups, stews, gravies, and puddings and can also be used in stir-fry dishes, and casseroles. Teff may be added to soups or stews in either of two ways: 1) Add them, uncooked to the pot a half-hour before serving time. 2) Add them cooked to the pot 10 minutes before serving. Cooked teff can be mixed with herbs, seeds, beans or tofu, garlic, and onions to make grain burgers. The seeds can also be sprouted and the sprouts used in salads and on sandwiches.

To cook teff place 2 cups purified water, 1/2 cup teff, and 1/4 tsp. sea salt (optional) in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 to 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes.

Teff should be stored in a cool, dark, dry place in tightly covered containers such as glass jars. Cooked Teff can be kept in the refrigerator, but should be used within a few days.

This grain would be a worthy and healthful addition to your diet. Be creative, use your imagination, and enjoy this wonderful nutritious grain.

Following are two recipes adapted from packages of Arrowhead Teff.

Teff Pancakes
1 cup cooked Teff
1/4 tsp. Sea salt
1 cup multigrain pancake mix or whole grain flour
1 cup water or enough to make pancake batter
1 tbsp. Oil (optional)

Mix all ingredients; cook on a hot oiled griddle.

For variations try adding nuts, berries, or apples to the batter.

Now I want to experiment with the Teff Flour and Protein Powder, or Soy Flour-- or one of the homemade versions of Low Carb Bake Mix.

One of the problems of cooking with Teff is that it's hard to get it to set up correctly when you live in a humid environment. So a lot of the Ethiopian restaurants in Seattle mix the Teff with Wheat Flour. Grrr..

Last edited by Erica L. Butler; 09-21-2008 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: addition to post
Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileySue View Post
Wow Erica, that sounds amazing. I'm going to see if I can find some of these ingredients in my Central Market today. I'd love to make this for dinner!!
You can also Google Ethiopian Grocery-- I've found some places with the the Mitmita (Ethiopian Pepper) and Berebere Paste.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

More info on Teff Flour

MORE ABOUT ETHIOPIAN FOOD: TEFF

Pertinent info:
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

Teff is well known by Ethiopians and Eritreans for its superior nutritional quality. It contains 11% protein, 80% complex carbohydrate and 3% fat. It is an excellent source of essential amino acids, especially lysine, the amino acid that is most often deficient in grain foods. Teff contains more lysine than barley, millet, and wheat and slightly less than rice or oats. Teff is also an excellent source of fiber and iron, and has many times the amount of calcium, potassium and other essential minerals found in an equal amount of other grains. When teff is used to make engera, a short fermentation process allows the yeast to generate more vitamins. (http://www.wam.umd.edu/tes/tef/injera.html) Teff is nearly gluten-free, and is gaining popularity in the whole food and Health food industry in the U.S. as an alternative grain for persons with gluten sensitivity. Teff may also have applications for persons with Celiac Disease.

Serving Size 1/4 cup
Carbohydrate 32g
Dietary Fiber 6g

Injera Recipe

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1993 15:21:23 -0700 (PDT)

Someone requested a recipe for injera. I found this recipe in the Lassen Family Natural Foods newsletter of August 1993; I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like fun. Judging from the source, I would guess that you can find the main ingredient in health food stores.

Teff is the staple grain of Ethiopia. The grain yields a seed much smaller than the size of a wheat grain, but is the basis of Ethiopian traditional cookery. Teff flour is the main ingredient of the pleasantly sour pancake-like bread known as injera, which literally underlies every Ethiopian meal.

To set an Ethiopian table, one lays down a circular injera on top of which the other food is arrayed, directly, without any plate. Other injeras are served tablecloth" injera. Eventually, after the meal is finished, you eat the tablecloth, a delicious repository of the juices from the food that has been resting on it.

Nutrition-minded Americans have turned to teff as a source of calcium, fiber, and protein. It is also an alternative grain for people allergic to the gluten in wheat. It has an appealing, sweet, molasses-like flavor, and it boils up into a gelatinous porridge.

INJERA

Ingredients:

3/4 cup teff, ground fine (this may be done either in a flour mill or in a blender after moistening in 3 1/2 cups water)
salt
sunflower or other vegetable oil

1. Mix ground teff with 3 1/2 cups water and let stand in a bowl covered with a dish towel, at room temperature, until it bubbles and has turned sour. This may take as long as 3 days. The fermenting mixture should be the consistency of pancake batter (which is exactly what it is).

2. Stir in salt, a little at a time, until you can barely detect the taste.

3. Lightly oil an 8- or 9-inch skillet (or a larger one if you like). Heat over medium heat. Then proceed as you would with a normal pancake or crepe.

Pour in enough batter to cover the bottom of the skillet. About 1/4 cup will make a thin pancake covering the surface of an 8-inch skillet if you spread the batter around immediately by turning and rotating the skillet in the air.

This is the classic French method for very thin crepes. Injera is not supposed to be paper thin so you should use a bit more batter than you would for crepes, but less than you would for a flap-jack.

4. Cook briefly, until holes form in the injera and the edges lift from the pan. Remove and let cool.

Yields 10 to 12 injeras.

So I'm thinking this may be a new good food for us low carbers...

Last edited by Erica L. Butler; 09-21-2008 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: More info--
Old 09-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Ah, injera. I haven't tried anything with Teff flour in a couple of years, but I think the occasional treat of injera is highly do-able...but too tempting for regular eating while still on OWL...

Thanks for all the info, I want to take a crack at this sometime very soon...

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote