Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008, 03:51 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Oat fiber recipes....

....anybody have one?
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
.... Yeah...I don't know what to do with this stuff. I guess nobody else does either
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Well, you can't really use oat fiber as the predominant flour in a recipe, so there are probably no "oat flour" recipes specifically. Where I find it useful is in stretching other low carb flour mixes for even lower carbs and calories. Fiber inhibits rising somewhat, so you'll have to play around with proportions. I'd start with making the OF 1/8th of the "flour" in one of your tried and true recipes and work up from there. . . .

HTH,
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: hdyhouse
Stats: 335/211/195
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2003
I use oat fiber many ways. I put some in my morning hot breakfast cereal. I add it to ground beef to give meatloaf an "old fashioned" texture. I add it to fauxtatoes to firm-up the texture. I add it to my pancake/waffle batter. I also use it to "bulk-up" a cake recipe to compensate for using liquid splenda.
hdyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Henry, Do you have an amount (or even approx amount) that you add to the fauxtatoes? (say to a head or 1# of cauliflower)

I also often add it to hot "cereal". I add it to recipes in place of some of the "flour" or some of the flax or almond meal when the mood strikes me, or I think about it. I'm afraid I often forget about it. But I do have it, and do use it occasionally. Guess I don't have any set things I sue it for.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Sounds like it would work for binder in almost any meat/fish thing - like Salmon Croquettes?

What about using it for 'fried' chicken....as the coating? I have some on order, but haven't received it yet.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
Sounds like it would work for binder in almost any meat/fish thing - like Salmon Croquettes?

What about using it for 'fried' chicken....as the coating? I have some on order, but haven't received it yet.
I have used it combo with other LC "flours" for coating for chicken, etc.. But I personally wouldn't use it alone. I haven't found anything (that I can remember) where I'd use it alone. (Tho to put in meats, etc as a binder, probably would be OK. But I haven't used anything like that in meatloaf for ages. LONG before I started low carb. But that's me.)
Old 09-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Billie, I try to use frozen cauliflower for fauxtatoes as I find that the end product is not as "loose" as when I use fresh cauliflower. For 1 pound of frozen cauliflower I will use 3-4heaping tablespoons of oat fiber. I keep in on my kitchen counter in 1 gallon plastic storage bin so I can simply spoon out what I need.

"Sounds like it would work for binder in almost any meat/fish thing - like Salmon Croquettes?"

I also do use it in my salmon croquettes in combination with crushed pork rinds as a binder and it works great. I have not tried it as a breading for fried chicken.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Henry!!! I usually use frozen too (but sometimes use fresh). I cook mine in a "basket" in my pressure cooker (fresh or frozen), and it doesn't get as soupy. If I didn't have a pressure cooker, I'd use a basket or steamer & steam it the regular way for the same reason. I never cook mine "IN" water anymore.
I'll try adding some of the oat flour to mine next time I make it (if I don't forget).
Old 09-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post

G:

I'll second what the other poster said -- I haven't found any application for which I would use oat fiber solely, and I suspect it would not crisp up at all in a baked chicken coating --retains too much moisture. Matter of fact, tho I have used it very successfully as a "flour" extender in "soft" baked goods like cakes or pancakes, I have not yet been able to figure out how to use it to extend cookies or crusts that are supposed to be hard or crisp. (Adding a ton of fat might be the solution, but that's not viable for my plan.)

-Retro
Old 09-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Here is a recipe using oat fiber that I just posted in another thread. The oat fiber really improves the texture of the cake.

Here is my variation of a chocolate cake recipe that I saw when I first started this WOE. My recipe makes a wonderful Devils food cake that is a rich, dark, and moist chocolate cake tasting like Oreo cookies.

1 15 oz can Eden Farms Black Soy Beans (drained and rinsed well)
4 eggs
4 oz cream cheese
1 tsp baking soda
1 and 1/2 cups sugar equivalent liquid Splenda
4 Tbls unsweetened cocoa (I use a mixture of jet black cocoa and a high fat dutched cocoa
1 cup oat fiber
2 Tbls vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9" cake pan with pan spray, line bottom with parchment paper and spray lightly. Put all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, loosen sides and invert onto cake rack to cool thoroughly.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:03 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I use oat fiber in my 1 minute flax seed muffin. I use 1/2 flax and 1/2 oat fiber. You have to increase the liquid and flavoring in the recipe. But it makes a softer, cakier porduct. The same batter also makes great waffles.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
that's exactly what i do, soobee! i love it!
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdyhouse View Post
Here is a recipe using oat fiber that I just posted in another thread. The oat fiber really improves the texture of the cake.

Here is my variation of a chocolate cake recipe that I saw when I first started this WOE. My recipe makes a wonderful Devils food cake that is a rich, dark, and moist chocolate cake tasting like Oreo cookies.

4 eggs
4 oz cream cheese
1 tsp baking soda
4 Tbls unsweetened cocoa (I use a mixture of jet black cocoa and a high fat dutched cocoa
1 cup oat fiber
2 Tbls vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9" cake pan with pan spray, line bottom with parchment paper and spray lightly. Put all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, loosen sides and invert onto cake rack to cool thoroughly.
Do you have the carb count? It looks great.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:

4 eggs
4 oz cream cheese
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup oat fiber
2 Tbls vanilla

Henry, that's way cool. Got to try that one myself.

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I have calculated the total net carb count for the cake as 23.4.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Chocolate Bean Cake Recipe

Wow you gals are really into this bean thing. Thanks mucho!

Since the stuffing bread came out so good I think I'll give the
chocolate cake a go. With 23 grams per cake, divided by 8 squares,
sounds like my kinda goodie. Now for some frosting??

Any suggestions?

barbo
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Maybe some cream cheese thinned out with some DaVinci's? I look for any excuse to eat cream cheese....

Last edited by SmileySue; 09-18-2008 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
I have calculated the total net carb count for the cake as 23.4.
Thanks so much. I think it'll be perfect for my pms cravings. Full of fiber too.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #20
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Here is a stabilized whipped cream frosting recipe that should go well with the cake:

3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup powdered erythritol
1 Tbls. not/Sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whip until very stiff peaks are formed.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I use oat fiber in my 1 minute flax seed muffin. I use 1/2 flax and 1/2 oat fiber. You have to increase the liquid and flavoring in the recipe. But it makes a softer, cakier porduct. The same batter also makes great waffles.
Hi Soobee:

Can you share the specifics of your flax/oat fiber One Minute Muffin recipe?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2009, 04:28 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Flax Oat Fiber OMM
4 T oat fiber
4 T ground flax
1 egg (You can add more if you want)
pinch of salt
davinic's syrup to batter consistency

You can add baking powder, but honestly, I can't tell the difference. You may want to mix Davinci's and water if you don't want it to be so sweet. My favorite combination is to use caramel Davinci's and 1/2 t cinnamon, pinch of allspice, and 1/2 t nutmeg. Oat fiber swallows up liquids and flavoring, so you'll have to experiment with the amounts that you like best. Increase the eggs to 3, and it makes a dandy waffle mixture.
I never measured the Davinci's. Unfortunately, I can't experiment now, as I am trying life without artificial sweeteners. (Very painful) I don't think this AS-free life will endure long.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Flax Oat Fiber OMM
4 T oat fiber
4 T ground flax
pinch of salt

You can add baking powder, but honestly, I can't tell the difference. You may want to mix Davinci's and water if you don't want it to be so sweet. My favorite combination is to use caramel Davinci's and 1/2 t cinnamon, pinch of allspice, and 1/2 t nutmeg. Oat fiber swallows up liquids and flavoring, so you'll have to experiment with the amounts that you like best. Increase the eggs to 3, and it makes a dandy waffle mixture.
I never measured the Davinci's. Unfortunately, I can't experiment now, as I am trying life without artificial sweeteners. (Very painful) I don't think this AS-free life will endure long.
Thanks for this, Soobee. I usually avoid flax as the main "flour" in my recipes because it is more caloric than I would like, so halving it with oat fiber as you suggest just may do the trick. I'd love to get something made with a significant amount of oat fiber that would actually toast or crisp up in the oven -- perhaps the flax in this will do the trick.

Oooh, that AS-free experiment sounds rough!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Do a search and find BettyR's Aunt Judie's Bread Pudding. It is very good. Highly recommend it.

Janie
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Here's the recipe for bread pudding:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...breakfast.html
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
4 T oat fiber
4 T ground flax
pinch of salt

Thanks for this Soobee! I did it with 2 T oat fiber, 2 T golden flax and 1/4 cup eggbeaters, caramel davinci and spices--I liked it much better than an all flax muffin, and fewer calories and fat, which is important to me!

gratzie!

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:11 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Panda120
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May, 2000
I add 1/8 cup oat fiber to chocolate bark recipe.
Panda120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HollyAnne
WOE: None
I have to disagree that you can't use this as a sole "flour" in recipes. I came across these recipes.

Oat Fiber Bread
Mix dry together first, then add the wet.
1/4 cup oat fiber
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. glucomannan powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
small sprinkle of stevia extract
1/3 cup egg whites
3 T. water

Cook in microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds (or longer) until it's only slightly wet on top. (I like it pretty done. You'll have to play with it as each microwave varies. I think this one took more like 2 minutes to be done. You might want to start at 1 minute and then add 15 seconds at a time until you find what works for you.

If you prefer not to use a microwave, you can bake this in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes or until done.

(I made this, only I did something different with it. Instead of using onion and garlic powders I used cinnamon and nutmeg, then I used some calorie free flavoring liquid I bought at Wal-Mart, and some water to make a batter consistency. Pan fried the whole thing in a nonstick pan with cooking spray and ate it like a pancake. It is really, really delicious and a nice breakfast. I used Walden Farm's calorie free syrup on mine. Half of the "pancake" was way too much food for me so I think I will cut it in half next time)

And this one:

Oat Fiber Strawberry Shortcake

1/4 cup oat fiber
a couple of pinches sea salt
3/4 tsp. glucomannan powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2-3 tsp. Truvia and a sprinkle of stevia extract (or make it with all stevia extract to taste)
1/3 cup egg whites
3 T. water
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix dry ingredients in a dish, then add wet ingredients and mix well. Cook in microwave for about 1 minute 30 seconds until it's only slightly wet on top. You'll have to play with it as each microwave varies.If you prefer not to use a microwave, you can bake this in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes or until done.

AND, this one calls for Coconut Flour and you can use that if you like, but I didn't have any so I used only the Oat Fiber and it turned out delicious. Even my 14 year old picky daughter liked it:

Chocolate Cake
1 Tablespoon oat fiber
1 Tablespoon coconut flour
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon glucomannan
dash sea salt
6 teaspoons Stevia
1/3 cup egg whites
1 Tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a small microwave-safe bowl, mix the dry ingredients well. Add liquid ingredients and mix well.

Microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes. Don’t cook too long or it will dry out the cake. The middle will be a little gooey still and that’s ok.

Allow cake to cool a bit in bowl before flipping out on a plate to cool completely.
HollyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
This was along time ago Holly . There is a recipe you should look into . It's a long thread but I will give you both. The thread and then the recipes that Gina put in a place easy to find.Ouizoid made up this recipe and is highly loved.

A Fantastic Flour Mix

On Ouizoids first post is her mix and a link to all the recipes we came up with.You will love love this stuff.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #30
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
I use oat fiber in anything that is "bread-like," bar, cookie, muffins, flatbreads/wraps/tortillas, pie crusts, etc (any baked good) up to about 25% of the "flour component."

I use it as a roux, mixed with coconut flour (thank you Char for teaching me this).

I use it in meatloaf along with pork rind crumbs and coconut flour.

I use it in fauxtmeal.

I use it in my flour mix.

And now, thanks to Peggy and the incredible cooks here, I use it in dumplings and in lc pasta.

Oh happy days!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote