Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jemmi
Stats: 268/253.5/248 (mini-goal)
WOE: Dr. D'Adamo's Blood Type Food Plan
Start Date: August 6, 2013
A Better Mousetrap Peanut Butter Cookies

No, the recipe is not mine. Yes, I treaked it just a little. But, OH, What a difference!

I took the PB recipe from the message boards recipe files called, "AAAAAA Magical Peanut Butter Cookies," and wanted to make the cookies more substantial, because although they tasted good, they were so light and crumbly; and that I didn't like. I wanted them more authentic, like the ones that have flour, sugar, etc.

Here it is, and I hope you enjoy them as well. Tweaking is in Bold.

1 Cup Peanut Butter, Creamy or Crunchy
1 1/3 sugar substitute (Recommended: Splenda)
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease a large baking sheet. Baking dishes will also work.

In a mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter, 1 1/3 cup sugar replacement, 2 eggs, and vanilla, and stir well with a spoon.

Roll the dough into balls the size of golf balls. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet. With a fork, dipped in sugar replacement to prevent sticking, press a crisscross design on each cookie.
Note: I did not feel like touching the dough and taking the time to roll into balls, etc., so I just took a serving spoon and scooped up one big spoonful and put it on the baking dish. I used the fork to press them down and I like that they did not come out real uniform so they really looked and felt like "home-made" cookies and not ones from a commercial bakery.

Bake for 20-30 minutes (depending of degree of darkness you like), remove from the oven, and sprinkle the cookies with some of the remaining sugar replacement. Cool slightly before removing from pan.

Yield: 6 cookies (about 4 inches round) See photo below. They do NOT fall apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Better Mousetrap LC PB Cookies.jpg (30.8 KB, 164 views)

TWICE A BEGGAR--"It's something we all wish for, and something we're all afraid of...To feel nothing when it hurts, and to feel everything when it doesn't." - Merrit Malloy
jemmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Oh, my gosh - they look awesome - too tempting for me though - I better not make these - I might eat the dough out of the bowl!
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I always add a good spoonful of almond meal to that recipe - keeps it from falling apart, which mine did when I used the recipe as posted.

I'll tell ya what - it makes an AWESOME crust for a peanut butter cheesecake too! Just pat it into the bottom of a greased springform pan, bake, and cool, then make your favorite cheesecake recipe with some PB thrown in - drizzle some melted chocolate over the top when it's cooled. YUM!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lilymo
Stats: 240/240/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb. 2011/Jan. 2014
Could I use a splenda quick pack instead of powdered splenda? I'm wondering if the granular/powdered splenda adds "bulk" and the quick pack is so fine and concentrated. TIA
lilymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Well, Ok, I'm going to try it and see
Old 09-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilymo View Post
Could I use a splenda quick pack instead of powdered splenda? I'm wondering if the granular/powdered splenda adds "bulk" and the quick pack is so fine and concentrated. TIA
I'm sorry, I don't know. I have never used the Splenda Quick Pack. So now you can blaze the trail, and let us all know.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I always add a good spoonful of almond meal to that recipe - keeps it from falling apart, which mine did when I used the recipe as posted.

I'll tell ya what - it makes an AWESOME crust for a peanut butter cheesecake too! Just pat it into the bottom of a greased springform pan, bake, and cool, then make your favorite cheesecake recipe with some PB thrown in - drizzle some melted chocolate over the top when it's cooled. YUM!

Sounds delicious! Thanks for the ideas!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilymo View Post
You can. Splenda granular just dissolves into nothingness when moisture hits it so it truly does not add bulk. I've made that recipe with the granular and then made it again with liquid, and it made no difference, so I can't imagine that a quickpack would matter either.

Which is partly why I like adding the almond meal - it does bulk it a bit!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
I have wanted to do the magic cookie dough for a cheese cake crust, think LindaSue said it was a-ok to do, heck probably was you Char
Just so blasted scared to make a whole C.Cake for fear of munching it all down, freezing won't work either, my feet always have a mind of their own and lead me to that darn fridge when goodies are in it
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Gadget Gal

I know, Sherrie, it's hard to keep your hands out of some stuff, no matter HOW LC friendly it is you're not supposed to count one whole cheesecake as a serving!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Wondering about blackstrap molasses for that brown sugar feel.

Peanut butter cookies are my favorite - along w/Christmas sugar cookies.

B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monique
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmi View Post
No, the recipe is not mine. Yes, I treaked it just a little. But, OH, What a difference!

I took the PB recipe from the message boards recipe files called, "AAAAAA Magical Peanut Butter Cookies," and wanted to make the cookies more substantial, because although they tasted good, they were so light and crumbly; and that I didn't like. I wanted them more authentic, like the ones that have flour, sugar, etc.

Here it is, and I hope you enjoy them as well. Tweaking is in Bold.

1 Cup Peanut Butter, Creamy or Crunchy
1 1/3 sugar substitute (Recommended: Splenda)
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease a large baking sheet. Baking dishes will also work.

In a mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter, 1 1/3 cup sugar replacement, 2 eggs, and vanilla, and stir well with a spoon.

Roll the dough into balls the size of golf balls. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet. With a fork, dipped in sugar replacement to prevent sticking, press a crisscross design on each cookie.
Note: I did not feel like touching the dough and taking the time to roll into balls, etc., so I just took a serving spoon and scooped up one big spoonful and put it on the baking dish. I used the fork to press them down and I like that they did not come out real uniform so they really looked and felt like "home-made" cookies and not ones from a commercial bakery.

Bake for 20-30 minutes (depending of degree of darkness you like), remove from the oven, and sprinkle the cookies with some of the remaining sugar replacement. Cool slightly before removing from pan.

Yield: 6 cookies (about 4 inches round) See photo below. They do NOT fall apart.
Thank you so much for this receipe. I made it last night I should have let them cook a little longer because they are a little too soft. I added 1/3 cup of splenda brown sugar and deducted that from the regular splenda it called for. It was so easy. Next time I will try the chunky peanut butter.
monique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by monique View Post
Thank you so much for this receipe. I made it last night I should have let them cook a little longer because they are a little too soft. I added 1/3 cup of splenda brown sugar and deducted that from the regular splenda it called for. It was so easy. Next time I will try the chunky peanut butter.
Just a little FYI: Did you know that Splenda Brown Sugar is half real brown sugar and half Splenda?
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal View Post
Just a little FYI: Did you know that Splenda Brown Sugar is half real brown sugar and half Splenda?
Yes. It doesn't cause me to crave anything. I know I have to be careful but I do add it to almost everything I bake.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Oh, the brown sugar idea sounds great! Actually, I try not to use Splenda, but on occasion, when I make these, I do use it, but I have never tried the brown sugar Splenda. And yes, I think you should definitely try the crunchy! I'm so glad you enjoyed them.

What I particularly enjoyed was the look and feel of the cookies. I like picking up a cookie with some weight to it, and I'm still learning what is the right length of baking time, as this batch was a little too soft for me as well.

I also think what brand of peanut butter you choose is important too. I picked up the natural one at Wal-Mart, called Adam's. I'd never tried that brand before, but for me, the peanuts are not roasted long enough in the jar, so the taste of the cookie wasn't just right. So now, I'm going to try Trader Joe's natural peanut butter. If I don't care for that, then I guess I'll try Laura Scudder's brand.

Last edited by jemmi; 09-11-2008 at 04:31 PM..
Old 09-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal View Post
Oh! Now that I did not know. I've gotten along without it so far, so I guess it's best I pass on this, as I need to give myself every chance to lose weight.

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, the brown sugar idea sounds great! Actually, I try not to use Splenda, but on occasion, when I make these, I do use it, but I have never tried the brown sugar Splenda. And yes, I think you should definitely try the crunchy! I'm so glad you enjoyed them.

What I particularly enjoyed was the look and feel of the cookies. I like picking up a cookie with some weight to it, and I'm still learning what is the right length of baking time, as this batch was a little too soft for me as well.

I also think what brand of peanut butter you choose is important too. I picked up the natural one at Wal-Mart, called Adam's. I'd never tried that brand before, but for me, the peanuts are not roasted long enough in the jar, so the taste of the cookie wasn't just right. So now, I'm going to try Trader Joe's natural peanut butter. If I don't care for that, then I guess I'll try Laura Scudder's brand.
I am financially conservative (cheap) I got what was on sale. All of the peanut butter had the same amount of carbs and sugar.

The brown sugar probably wasn't needed but like I said I use it in everything. I haven't experienced any cravings.

I really love how easy it is to make. I did lick the spoon.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:03 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I've never been able to lick the spoon because the thought of licking raw egg whites just grosses me out. In fact, I'm done talking about it right now.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Jemmi I tried your receipe with Crunchy Almond Butter last night and turned out good. I cooked it longer than the peanut butter cookies so it is more firm.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
It must have been the PB I used, because mine were awful and I actually had to toss them. Boo hoo
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monique View Post
Jemmi I tried your receipe with Crunchy Almond Butter last night and turned out good. I cooked it longer than the peanut butter cookies so it is more firm.
I am SO happy to hear that, because I'm actually not supposed to be eating much PB, or any at all, because PB can contain fungus and mold, and I already have a compromised immune problem, and the natural/alternative doctor I see told me to try and stick with almond butter.

I go to Trader Joe's for almond butter, so all I could get in my city was PB, and I wanted a little something, so I bought PB.

But just tonight I thought of trying this same recipe with crunchy almond butter, but with added cocoa powder, for Chocolate Almond cookies. So finding out that almond butter works is one giant step already for me, and I thank you for that!

Last edited by jemmi; 09-12-2008 at 11:39 PM..
Old 09-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
It must have been the PB I used, because mine were awful and I actually had to toss them. Boo hoo
What kind did you use?

I know the feeling of others raving about a recipe and when I tried the recipe, it was so awful, I couldn't believe we were talking about the same dish.

I think it was baked broccoli. It was a simple recipe, like olive oil drizzled over broccoli pieces, add salt and pepper to taste. Pop in the oven for something like 10-15 minutes, and Voila!

Voila? Um...no...Trash-o can-o? Yep! Actually, I tried to bake them longer, I gave them more olive oil, I did a rain dance in front of the oven door, but to no avail, I chucked them and never tried again. They were hard and rubbery...disgusting.

I do hope you'll try again on these, because I've made them twice, and they have quite a good taste and PB cookie texture to them. I use only the natural type PB, not like Skippy or Jif, cuz they add non-LC stuff, and mess with it too much.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:54 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You can. Splenda granular just dissolves into nothingness when moisture hits it so it truly does not add bulk. I've made that recipe with the granular and then made it again with liquid, and it made no difference, so I can't imagine that a quickpack would matter either.

Which is partly why I like adding the almond meal - it does bulk it a bit!
Thanks Charski, I am making these today
Old 09-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
What kind did you use?

I know the feeling of others raving about a recipe and when I tried the recipe, it was so awful, I couldn't believe we were talking about the same dish.

I think it was baked broccoli. It was a simple recipe, like olive oil drizzled over broccoli pieces, add salt and pepper to taste. Pop in the oven for something like 10-15 minutes, and Voila!

Voila? Um...no...Trash-o can-o? Yep! Actually, I tried to bake them longer, I gave them more olive oil, I did a rain dance in front of the oven door, but to no avail, I chucked them and never tried again. They were hard and rubbery...disgusting.

I do hope you'll try again on these, because I've made them twice, and they have quite a good taste and PB cookie texture to them. I use only the natural type PB, not like Skippy or Jif, cuz they add non-LC stuff, and mess with it too much.
You are so funny!! I relate to that baked broccoli thing! I didn't do the rain dance, but I guess it didn't work for you any way!

I used Arrowhead Mills Organic crunchy valencia peanut butter. I used a Splenda quick pak plus some sweetzfree. I do think I will try these again though with a different PB. I have a real sweet tooth still after all these years of low carbing!!! and they didn't taste sweet enough to me. Some peanut butters have different levels of sweetness to them and this PB I used had no sweet taste to it at all. The cookies did stay together though and weren't crumbly.
I want this to work because I have been buying the PB cookies from Netrition and although I really like them, they are very expensive.

Thanks for your feedback to me.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Yes, please do try again, and let us know how they came out. I hope it works for you this time.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #26
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I made these once before when Paula Deen made them on her show and they were so dry and crumbly and blah. Does the extra egg make them softer and chewier? That is what I am looking for. I like chewy cookies.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
I made these once before when Paula Deen made them on her show and they were so dry and crumbly and blah. Does the extra egg make them softer and chewier? That is what I am looking for. I like chewy cookies.
I'm not really sure, but I tried the same recipe you're speaking of and they were too light and crumbly. I added another egg to try and make them more substantial, like in texture, plus I made them waaay bigger so they would hopefully have some density to them. It worked! I was surprised how good they came out. My first batch I baked them somewhere between 18-20 minutes. My first bite surprised me (in a good way) and I was delighted.

I do hope you try them this way and let report back, because it is in other people trying them, and making small tweaks that we do improve on the "mousetrap" and make it better.

PS: Another poster uses Splenda Brown Sugar and if you can tolerate that it is half regular sugar and half Splenda, perhaps you will achieve that softer, chewier cookie you seek.

Last edited by jemmi; 09-15-2008 at 05:36 PM..
Old 09-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #28
Gadget Gal

You can also try using Diabetisweet Brown - it doesn't have any "real sugar" in it but mimics brown sugar pretty well - it gives the finished cookie a sort of "caramelized" bottom and a pretty substantial "stick-togetherness" which I like.

I've made this cookie with almond butter, macadamia butter, and cashew butter at different times - all work well. I just get a "feel" for the dough and decide whether or not to add some almond meal to it based on how it's "hanging together" before shaping and baking.

I always look for a good stiff cookie dough consistency and adjust ingredients accordingly!

I also like to roll the dough balls in Diabetisweet (I use the plain one for this) or erythritol before pressing with the fork. Gives a nice texture to the outside of the cookie.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You can also try using Diabetisweet Brown - it doesn't have any "real sugar" in it but mimics brown sugar pretty well - it gives the finished cookie a sort of "caramelized" bottom and a pretty substantial "stick-togetherness" which I like.

I've made this cookie with almond butter, macadamia butter, and cashew butter at different times - all work well. I just get a "feel" for the dough and decide whether or not to add some almond meal to it based on how it's "hanging together" before shaping and baking.

I always look for a good stiff cookie dough consistency and adjust ingredients accordingly!

I also like to roll the dough balls in Diabetisweet (I use the plain one for this) or erythritol before pressing with the fork. Gives a nice texture to the outside of the cookie.

Thanks for the suggestions, because I have never heard of Diabetisweet, and although I've heard of erythritol, I've never used it. I have tried Xylitol, but found I get kind of a stomachache from it, but that I shouldn't with erythritol.

I think most would agree that what we are looking for is the closest we can come to the taste and texture of cookies that we have grown up with, and although we may not be able to tolerate/manage some of the ingredients of the original cookie, this is the next best thing, and it's a nice treat.

Tonight, I'm trying it with almond butter and either unsweetened cocoa powder, or Da Vinci's chocolate SF syrup. I'll see how they turn out.

Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Ehh, the chocolate-almond cookies need more work, but I'm glad I tried it. I decided to use the unsweetened cocoa powder. I upped the Splenda by 1/4 cup more, and I added 1/8 tsp. salt to enhance the cocoa flavor; the rest was the same as for the PB cookies, but it wasn't enough. More tweaking is needed.