Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheDogAteMyName
Stats: 198/158.5/135
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: April 13, 2008
Stevia recipes

Does anyone have website or book recommendations for recipes using Stevia? I have been using only Stevia and would love some help with recipes.
TheDogAteMyName is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
I find that recipes using stevia exclusively pretty much suck if they're baked. You can get away with using stevia alone in certain uncooked recipes, but it's best when combined with another natural sweetener like xylitol or erythritol (my fave--no calories, carbs, or uncomfortable side effects).

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 09-04-2008 at 03:40 PM..
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Lauren - you have an amazing website! I made your brownies yesterday, OMG are they good! I had given up on low carb brownies (they always turned out SO DRY and nothing like a brownie). These were so gooey and delicious, thanks for such a great brownie recipe. I had coconut flour in my freezer and just gave up on using it because everything I tried turned out so dry. I was really wanting something chocolate, especially a brownie, and figured what the heck I have all the ingredients - and boy am I glad I tried them!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
Lauren - you have an amazing website! I made your brownies yesterday, OMG are they good! I had given up on low carb brownies (they always turned out SO DRY and nothing like a brownie). These were so gooey and delicious, thanks for such a great brownie recipe. I had coconut flour in my freezer and just gave up on using it because everything I tried turned out so dry. I was really wanting something chocolate, especially a brownie, and figured what the heck I have all the ingredients - and boy am I glad I tried them!

Thanks, BikerAng! Coconut flour is a marvelous ingredient when you use it right, huh?

I know what you mean about low carb brownies. They tend to come out too dry or light and airy. Not like the fudgy wudgy goodness you crave!
Old 09-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Hi Lauren......I'm a fan of your's.........lol.

Anyway, about stevia......I have some single packets of Sweet Leaf stevia plus, I also have NOW brand French Vanilla liquid stevia extract. The one time I used stevia it was way too bitter. If I do use the stevia how do I divide it up with the other sweeteners?.......I have powdered erythritol (sp?) and regular Xylitol, as well as splenda granular etc. How many parts to parts? <---Does that even make sense?

Also, when a recipe calls for erythritol ......How much powdered erythritol should I put in to equal the same amt. when a recipe just calls for erythritol?

You should be a nutritionist - or open a LC restaurant...or be a LC personal chef....for me....hahaha

B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPop View Post
Hi Lauren......I'm a fan of your's.........lol.

Anyway, about stevia......I have some single packets of Sweet Leaf stevia plus, I also have NOW brand French Vanilla liquid stevia extract. The one time I used stevia it was way too bitter. If I do use the stevia how do I divide it up with the other sweeteners?.......I have powdered erythritol (sp?) and regular Xylitol, as well as splenda granular etc. How many parts to parts? <---Does that even make sense?

Also, when a recipe calls for erythritol ......How much powdered erythritol should I put in to equal the same amt. when a recipe just calls for erythritol?

You should be a nutritionist - or open a LC restaurant...or be a LC personal chef....for me....hahaha

B
Thank you, B! About stevia--the only brand I can tolerate is NuNaturals, so I can't help you too much there! Their Pure White Stevia Extract has a very concentrated sweetenss, which I measure out for my recipes. The packets of Sweetleaf stevia are bulked with inulin, with making them not as sweet and a bit difficult to work with. You could try another brand of pure stevia extract (not bulked with anything) if you like the taste. I usually end up using 1/4th to 1/8th of a teaspoon of pure stevia per 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons erythritol. You need about twice the amount of powdered erythritol as regular granular erythritol. Xylitol is a bit sweeter, so you can use a couple tablespoons less of it. I don't usually work with xylitol because of its unpleasant side effects. Hope that helps you out some.

Am getting my 5 lb bags of almond flour and erythritol from Honeyville Grain soon. That means more recipes for y'all! They're a fabulous supplier if you get tired of grinding your own almond meal.

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."