Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kellyterp
Stats: 190/147/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-started induction March 2012
Looking for a Breakfast Casserole

Hi!

I am on induction and am already burned out on eggs (in most forms -- scrambled, omelet, etc.) and mock danish. I had a hot dog for breakfast this morning. I think I could stomach eggs in some sort of casserole form. I'm looking for a egg/meat/maybe veggies breakfast casserole that fits the following criteria:

1) Can be made in a 9x13 pan.
2) Can be frozen (in slices).
3) Safe for induction.
4) Doesn't use a ton of heavy cream.

Any recommendations? I've looked in the recipe room but haven't been able to find anything that meets those criteria (and has good reviews). Thanks in advance!!!

Kelly
kellyterp is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
I also am not a big egg eater. Lots of times I eat left overs for breakfast. Today was spaghetti squash casserole with ground beef, tomatoe sauce and cheddar cheese. As far as an egg casserole I don't ever get sick of, and is not too "eggy" Tooter's ricotta pie is fantastic. Here is her original recipe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
I remember the first time I ever tired a Quiche. I was disappointed. It just seemed so bland. It wasn't what I expected at all.

This recipe I made up so that it would taste the way I always "wanted" it to.

Better then Quiche, Ricotta pie

Pre-heat oven to 350*

Spray an 8 X 8 Glass pan with Pam.

4 eggs
15 oz container of ricotta
2 cups of Mozarella cheese
1/4 cup of grated parmensan cheese
Small onion chopped and cooked in butter
salt and pepper (add to the onions as you cook in butter)
6 slices of cooked bacon
2 table spoons of dried parsley flakes

Mix the eggs, Mozarella, parmensan, Parsely flakes and ricotta. Cook the onions in butter (salt and pepper to taste) until the onions become translucent. Add to the egg and cheese mixture. Cook up 6 slices of bacon. Dry on a paper towel and crumble them. Add this also to the mixture. Spoon the mixture into the prepared glass pan. Bake at 350* for about 1/2 hour. Until the top is a light brown and the "Pie" is firm. Slice into 6 servings.

I have also made this in the Giant Muffin tins (got the Idea from one of George Stella's books). These refridgerate very well and they re-heat beautifully in the microwave.

Great for breakfast and it's a wonderful dinner if you just have a salad with it.
I personally prefer cheddar cheese and a little more bacon than Tooter lists (usually around 3/4 lb). I also generally use 5 eggs rather than 4, leave out the parm, and throw the onions in as is without pre-cooking. The counts I have saved in ****** say this that 1/6 of the recipe is 555 calories, 47.8 fat, 26 protein, 3.8 carbs, and .1 fiber.
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyterp View Post
...Any recommendations? I've looked in the recipe room but haven't been able to find anything that meets those criteria (and has good reviews). Thanks in advance!!!
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Hi Kelly...
Already off the criteria, but a couple suggestions...

1-minute muffins use one egg, would not freeze and are not a casserole. They are made with flaxmeal and are my wife's favorite.

A mixture of scrambled eggs, cauliflower chunk-letts, sausage, a small amount of fresh jalapeño, & cumin make a wonderful breakfast burrito filling - which tastes fine without the tortilla. It might fit the bill for being adapted to the casserole - though we cook the parts separately and assemble them so it doesn't blend the flavors, but leaves them intact.

[/COLOR]
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigflopman
Stats: 354/192/177
WOE: Reduced Carbohydrate Intake
Start Date: 1/07(354)
ok here is the one I make all the time and my wife (non LC) and daughter LOVE it as well. I make the whole 9x13 and cut it into 12 small squares and it lasts well in the fridge. I have made it and taken on a weeks vacation and it was a lifesaver! You can make the pieces bigger if you need a larger portion.

-1lb ground beef
-1lb ground sausage (i use HOT)
-1 block cream cheese (8oz?)
-half an onion
-half a green bell pepper
-a carton of fresh mushrooms
-a few eggs (2-8 based on preference)
-shredded cheese (@2-4 cups, again preference)
-Chalula hot sauce (optional of course)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
I chop the veggies and get them sautéing in a large pot/pan in olive or coconut oil. I start with the GBP and onion because I don't like them to be crunchy and they take longer to get soft. After the GBP starts to get soft I throw in both of the meats and get them browned up almost done (toss in a little salt and pepper). Drain grease and return to pan. Put in block of CC over low heat (to help melt) until thoroughly mixed. (This is where you can add some hot sauce of your choice to the mixture if you want. I like mine a little on the spicy side and sometimes I add it here and sometimes I just put it on top after I get a slice from the fridge.) Spread mixture into a well greased 9x13 pan. (for some reason I have not had good luck with PAM, the mixture still sticks to the glass. Butter seems to work better for me, but it is totally up to you.) I evenly spread out the meat mixture but don't pack it down too tight. In a separate bowl I beat up a few eggs (I would say 4 is a safe place to start if you don't like eggs, but I use 6 or 7) and salt and pepper. Pour egg snot over meat mixture and then cover with your favorite shredded cheese. I use the WalMart brand Colby jack mix and probably use about 3-4 cups because I love cheese . Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes, you want to make sure the eggs are cooked, everything else is already done.

The cream cheese is optional but makes it REALLY good and creamy and gets some fat in there. If you have issues with CC stalling then skip this ingredient. It is out of this world right out of the oven. I am going to experiment with adding some bacon this week. This is a very base recipe that you can obviously tweak and add (or subtract) as desired to your tastes. I started with another recipe and kept tweaking until I got here and this is definitely a staple in my diet. I have lost so much weight eating this delicious casserole. Please let me know if this works out for you.

1/07-354 1/08-304:blush: 6/08-253 9/08-233 10/08-225 12/08-212 03/24/09-192.4
bigflopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Zer
Stats: 5'10"; 65; 508.7/_320.0_/199
WOE: Atkins: <5%Carb; J-UD/DD(<2798/560cals); 128ozH2O
Start Date: Got scale at 432.4(2/8/08); 376.8(2/8/09)
This might work for you - with or without the cream cheese, as you wish.
Quote:
Whooshie Pie
[from DeliGirl at LowCarbScoop]

2lbs gr beef
1/2 med. onion diced (optional)
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
8oz package cream cheese
1-5 tbsp horseradish (for bite)
1 tbsp mustard
2 eggs
garlic to taste (1 tbsp from a jar of wet garlic, for starters)
salt/pepper

I just toss everything in a bowl and mush it up with my hands, the original recipe I had said to use an electric mixer and I burned out my motor making this recipe. I also cook mine in a bundt pan... no reason, I just have a really nice pan and if I'm not going to be baking a cake, I'm sure as heck going to bake something in it

Sometimes I'll toss some diced peppers in, I put 1/2 cup of salsa in one day and it was yummy too. It's basically meatloaf so whatever you want in it it fair game. I think it would be good with some grated cheese and finely chopped brocolli tossed in there too

350 for about an hour depending on your oven.
Ought to be good as meatballs made up cocktail size or bite size, and cooked on a tray in oven, then frozen, then put into bags for easy access as individual snackin'balls, fast to defrost, easy to pack for a lunch that defrosts slowly for a few hours. Sounds tempting to me. Not bad as a sliced frozen snack either. Talk about breakfast on the go! Jalapeños in the mix? Olé!
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
Hey Bigflop - love the term "egg snot" - I'm goin gto try your recipe for next week's breakfasts just for that very reason! Also, it doesn't sound too eggy. Thanks for posting.

Tim
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim964 View Post
Hey Bigflop - love the term "egg snot" - I'm goin gto try your recipe for next week's breakfasts just for that very reason! Also, it doesn't sound too eggy. Thanks for posting.

Tim
Thanks... that is always what I think of when I spread it out... looks so nasty, but tastes so yummy!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for these ideas!!! I am looking forward to more pleasant breakfasts! :-)
Old 09-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ollie
Stats: 184/174/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 01/03/2012
This is just what I've been looking for too! - I have a 9 month old and sometimes breakfast needs to be QUICK. I actually love eggs - these casserole dishes sound wonderful. Can't wait to try.

BigFlop - you look fantastic. Congrats on your success.

Kay
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: woogers_1
Start Date: April 2003, April2008
Spanish Style Quiche
1lb.pork sausage
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, diced
1 medium tomato, diced
8oz. shredded cheddar cheese
6 eggs
1/2t salt, dash of pepper
1/2C heavy cream

Brown sausage with onion, drain. Add green pepper and tomato and cook over medium heat til peppers are crisp tender and tomato juice has cooked off. Drain on paper towel and put in bottom of greased 9-10 inch pie plate. Top with cheese. Whisk eggs, salt, pepper then whisk in cream. Evenly pour over sausage and bake 350 for 35-40 minutes.

This reheats very well. I make it and have breakfast for the week. I can't remember who to credit this recipe to, I'm sorry about that. I usually thank the person for a recipe when I get it or first try it but when I copy it to my recipe box I don't write down who it came from.
woogers_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Determinedtolose
Here's an assortment of casseroles and bakes, quiches, etc.

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Meatless Recipes

I make this one all the time.

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JennieVf
Stats: 267/259/167
WOE: Mediweightloss
Start Date: August 26, 2008
Can't wait to try something different that you'll listed - here's a recipe for one I use all the time...real easy!

1lb of sausage
1 small oinion
6 eggs (snot and all)
can of cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup of 2% milk
some herbs
1/4 cup of shredded cheese

Fry up the sausage with the small onion chopped....drain
place in 9x12 pan (I spray with Pam)
Mix the can of soup with the milk and beat the eggs in and add herbs
pour over sausage, sprinkle with cheese and
bake at 350 for about 45 minutes....

I cut it up into squares and bag them individually. I'll freeze them and
pull one out for a quick breakfast...or whatever! popped in the microwave
for just a minutes is perfect!

Hope you enjoy!
JennieVf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #13

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I was also going to suggest the Early Rise Breakfast recipe. You could even cut back on the cream if you like. This recipe is easily customizable to your tastes.

EARLY RISE BREAKFAST
12-16 ounces bacon, chopped and fried until crisp
1 pound pork sausage
1/2 cup onion, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped, 1/2 medium
Other cooked meats of your choice, such as ham, roast beef, etc.
12 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
4 ounce can mushrooms, drained, optional
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded

Brown the bacon, sausage, onions and peppers; drain the grease.

Beat the eggs in a large bowl; beat in the cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Arrange the meats, onion, green pepper, mushrooms and the cheese in a greased 9x13" baking dish. Pour the egg mixture evenly over everything. Cover and chill overnight, if desired. Bake at 350º for 50-60 minutes, until golden brown and a knife inserted comes out clean. If not chilled, bake about 40-45 minutes.

Makes 8-12 servings
Can be frozen

Per 1/8 Recipe: 846 Calories; 71g Fat; 46g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/10 Recipe: 677 Calories; 57g Fat; 37g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Per 1/12 Recipe: 564 Calories; 47g Fat; 31g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs

This recipe is also very good:

ILSE'S SPINACH SAUSAGE BRUNCH CASSEROLE
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
1 cup onion, chopped, about 5 ounces
8 ounces provolone cheese, shredded and divided *
2 roasted red bell peppers, chopped, divided, 7 ounces *
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1 ounce
8 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried

Brown the sausage and onion; drain on paper towels. Spread the sausage in the bottom of a greased 9x13" baking dish. Sprinkle half of the the provolone cheese and half of the chopped red pepper over the sausage then top with the spinach. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over everything.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and cream until well blended. Whisk in the salt and basil. Pour the egg mixture evenly over everything. Bake at 425º 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean and the casserole is lightly browned. Sprinkle the remaining red peppers and the provolone cheese over the top of the casserole. Bake another 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted. Let stand 5 minutes then cut into squares.

Makes 8 servings

* I couldn't find provolone cheese in a chunk so I bought a bag of shredded 6-cheese Italian blend which contained some provolone. You'll need to buy a 12 ounce jar of roasted red peppers to get two 3 1/2-ounce peppers.

Per Serving: 506 Calories; 42g Fat; 25g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #14

Gallery: Determinedtolose
LindaSue, I make the Early Rise bake practically every Sunday so DH can have it throughout the week. He loves it!

I'll have to try this other recipe you posted now! Looks wonderful!!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Oops! I stopped getting e-mails that replies were being posted to this thread, and I am pleasantly surprised to find more ideas this morning! Thanks! :-)
Old 09-10-2008, 07:25 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wendalina
Stats: start: 196 goal: 165
WOE: Livin la vida LOW CARB!!!!
Start Date: September 22, 2008 - again!!!
subscribing.... breakfast is the hardest meal for me simply because of time.....I think this is something both the girls and I would enjoy! Looking forward to more recipes...
Wendalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rvcrazy
Stats: 164.0
Start Date: August 4, 2008
Just an idea -- why not have cereal. I have tried both the flax-z-snack (hot) 2 net carbs, and the Hi-Lo (cold) cereal (6 net carbs). They give you a break from eggs, eggs,and more eggs. This way, I can have eggs for lunch or even dinner. I liked both of the above cereal. I liked the recipes that I saw here, so I will try them for dinner. Thanks
rvcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cocapelle
Thanks for the breakfast ideas. I wanted to compliment Bigflop. You've done a great job with your weight loss.
I also wanted to ask what is going on with the email situation? I noticed that Kelly isn't getting emails, when someone answers. I haven't gotten an email for months, and nobody can figure out why. I haven't been here, very often, because of it. I check back, now and then. If someone has a question, I don't know, as I am never contacted, anymore.
Cocapelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocapelle View Post
Thanks for the breakfast ideas. I wanted to compliment Bigflop. You've done a great job with your weight loss.
I also wanted to ask what is going on with the email situation? I noticed that Kelly isn't getting emails, when someone answers. I haven't gotten an email for months, and nobody can figure out why. I haven't been here, very often, because of it. I check back, now and then. If someone has a question, I don't know, as I am never contacted, anymore.
Thanks Cocapelle... I am slowly chipping away at it...

I am going to have to use some of these ideas to modify my recipe! I did try adding sour cream to mine and it kind of made it taste too bland, like it took the great flavoring out of it. Won't try that again!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LaRae
Stats: 270/252.5/I'll know
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 11/19/12
A mixture of scrambled eggs, cauliflower chunk-letts, sausage, a small amount of fresh jalapeño, & cumin make a wonderful breakfast burrito filling - which tastes fine without the tortilla. It might fit the bill for being adapted to the casserole - though we cook the parts separately and assemble them so it doesn't blend the flavors, but leaves them intact.

Larry, I make the breakfast burritoes, also, except that I use fried radishes instead of the cauliflower. DH and I love it!
LaRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
[QUOTE=LindaSue;10825768]I was also going to suggest the Early Rise Breakfast recipe. You could even cut back on the cream if you like. This recipe is easily customizable to your tastes.[QUOTE]

I'll be making this one, soon! Thanks, Linda-- you're a Goddess!
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SalDal99
Stats: 176/171/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4/8/2013
Does it have to have so much cream in it? What's the purpose of the cream?
SalDal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LovesDivine
Stats: 175/175/145
Start Date: 2/4/2013 (restart again)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflopman View Post
ok here is the one I make all the time and my wife (non LC) and daughter LOVE it as well. I make the whole 9x13 and cut it into 12 small squares and it lasts well in the fridge. I have made it and taken on a weeks vacation and it was a lifesaver! You can make the pieces bigger if you need a larger portion.

-1lb ground beef
-1lb ground sausage (i use HOT)
-1 block cream cheese (8oz?)
-half an onion
-half a green bell pepper
-a carton of fresh mushrooms
-a few eggs (2-8 based on preference)
-shredded cheese (@2-4 cups, again preference)
-Chalula hot sauce (optional of course)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
I chop the veggies and get them sautéing in a large pot/pan in olive or coconut oil. I start with the GBP and onion because I don't like them to be crunchy and they take longer to get soft. After the GBP starts to get soft I throw in both of the meats and get them browned up almost done (toss in a little salt and pepper). Drain grease and return to pan. Put in block of CC over low heat (to help melt) until thoroughly mixed. (This is where you can add some hot sauce of your choice to the mixture if you want. I like mine a little on the spicy side and sometimes I add it here and sometimes I just put it on top after I get a slice from the fridge.) Spread mixture into a well greased 9x13 pan. (for some reason I have not had good luck with PAM, the mixture still sticks to the glass. Butter seems to work better for me, but it is totally up to you.) I evenly spread out the meat mixture but don't pack it down too tight. In a separate bowl I beat up a few eggs (I would say 4 is a safe place to start if you don't like eggs, but I use 6 or 7) and salt and pepper. Pour egg snot over meat mixture and then cover with your favorite shredded cheese. I use the WalMart brand Colby jack mix and probably use about 3-4 cups because I love cheese . Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes, you want to make sure the eggs are cooked, everything else is already done.

The cream cheese is optional but makes it REALLY good and creamy and gets some fat in there. If you have issues with CC stalling then skip this ingredient. It is out of this world right out of the oven. I am going to experiment with adding some bacon this week. This is a very base recipe that you can obviously tweak and add (or subtract) as desired to your tastes. I started with another recipe and kept tweaking until I got here and this is definitely a staple in my diet. I have lost so much weight eating this delicious casserole. Please let me know if this works out for you.

This is a keeper! Subbed celery for the gr pepper cuz i didn't have one on hand. canned mushroom for fresh, same reason. added half a can of diced tomato cuz I used the other half in DS's dinner and figured it might make it italiany tasting.

Thank you SOOOO much for this recipe.
LovesDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: twinzie02
Stats: 241/234/150
Start Date: August 20,2013 Restart
I'm on board with Bigflops tasty recipe. I will whip this up today so I have breakfast this week. Thanks Kelly for posting this subject. I was looking just yesterday for a good egg casserole. I too am too busy rushing around in the a.m. to eat. Usually end up with two cups of coffee when I get to work. I am also seeing a very slow weight loss. I think eating in the morning will help boost up my metabolism and help me loose again. Thanks all for the great recipe's.
twinzie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LovesDivine
Stats: 175/175/145
Start Date: 2/4/2013 (restart again)
I had BigFlops recipe again for 'brunch' today and it is even better the next day. Last night I was upstairs and asked my DS's GF if she wanted to try something and she asked what is in it and I gave her a brief descrip, she FLEW down the stairs and later my DS told me she said, your mom is a GREAT cook. I said, well, your mom knows how to follow a GREAT cooks recipe...thanks again BF!
LovesDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: twinzie02
Stats: 241/234/150
Start Date: August 20,2013 Restart
I also tried BigFlops recipe for breakfast casserole. I had some turkey sausage so used that as my meat base. It was delish. I used a glass pyrex dish to bake it in. Sprayed with Pam and it came right out without hardly any mess. I precooked all my veggies in a little olive oil then added the sausage. I didn't drain the fat as he mentioned in his recipe....so maybe that kept it from sticking. I split it up into portion sizes and bagged up in ziplocks and put in the freezer. Now all I have to do in the am is grab a bag and stash in my purse for a quick warm up at work. Everyone followed the smell to my office and asked what I was eating for breakfast? Just might have to share this recipe )
twinzie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
My friend makes this all the time....what do you think as far as being LC?

Sausage Spinach Bake

1 lb. Bob Evans Savory Sage Sausage Roll
1 1/2 cups milk
4 eggs
1 box (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
1/3 cup diced roasted red peppers
4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (I used shredded)

Preheat oven to 350F. In skillet, crumble and cook sausage over medium heat until browned. Drain drippings. In large bowl, whisk milk and eggs until combined. Stir in spinach, peppers and sausage. Spread into greased 11" x 7" pan. Layer sliced tomatoes on top. Bake for 45 minutes. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for 5-10 minutes more or until set in center.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

Recipe source; Bob Evans
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Disco Superfly
Stats: 280/157/155
WOE: Zero Carb
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflopman View Post
Thanks... that is always what I think of when I spread it out... looks so nasty, but tastes so yummy!
OMG Bigflops I made this today and wow it is SO GOOD! The only kind of hot italian sausage meat I could find was Johnsonville? And it had some carbs, something like a carb for a sixth of a lb. Does this sound like the same stuff as you use? I also used 4 drops of 'fricasse yer azz' hot sauce and it gave it a nice lift.

Thanks so much for this, now I hope the scales don't jump tomorrow. Had two pieces. (eek)

Sammy
Disco Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #29

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Linny, that sounds delicious. I love tomatoes in quiches. I would use heavy cream in place of the milk and cut it back to 1/2 to 1 cup. You don't need that much liquid for so few eggs, especially with so little cheese to hold it together.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
Linny, that sounds delicious. I love tomatoes in quiches. I would use heavy cream in place of the milk and cut it back to 1/2 to 1 cup. You don't need that much liquid for so few eggs, especially with so little cheese to hold it together.
Thanks Linda - I wish the websites that post recipes would at least post the Nutritional Info.

I cannot wait to make this
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote