Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   What would you (or do you) use this stuff for? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/574236-what-would-you-do-you-use-stuff.html)

ljguitar 09-01-2008 10:37 PM

What would you (or do you) use this stuff for?

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Hi folks...
Just discovered this great Dark Chocolate Refrigerator Candy. I'm still evaluating the possible side effects other than yelling 'WOW!' outloud and a great satisfaction of the chocolate-gene in me. Melts in the mouth (and probably at room temp as well).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/...2c4cffdd96.jpg

I'm looking for uses, and wondered if you have found some other than cutting a small piece off and just holding it on the tongue and sucking gently as it melts (which is amazing). Like chocolate silk...

I'm also curious as to possible side effects with it. I know some will probably point out the possible stall factor which is for me a pretty non-factor since I'm not worried about the rate my body adjusts to it's appropriate size - I've got years to accomplish that.

Dark Chocolate Refrigerator Candy...
3/4 cup barely liquified coconut oil = 0 carb
1/4 cup heavy cream = 1.6 carb
1/4 cup barely melted butter = 0 carb
1/4 cup cocoa powder (100%) = 4.4 net carb
3 or 4 Splenda package (or your favorite non-sugar) = 4 are 3.6 carb

Here's how it works...
-Measure liquids into a bowl where they combine
-Put cocoa powder and splenda in 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup
-Pour liquid ingredients into powders
-Blend immediately and thoroughly with hand blending wand
-Refrigerate in 6.5'' square container for 30 minutes
-Keep in Fridge (or it will melt in your hand before you can get it into
the mouth)

9.6 carbs for the entire batch...
[/COLOR]

Amélie 09-01-2008 10:45 PM

I make mine with just coconut oil, equal, and cocoa. I made one recently using coffee mate powder because I ran out of cream (and what we have here is heavy whipping cream) and it's also really really good.

Su11 09-02-2008 03:02 AM

It looks amazing. I bet the butter helps the flavor a lot. I'd think it would be awesome as an add-on to one of the low carb pastries like the oopsies. I might think of using it layered with some good greek yogurt for those HAVE to have chocolate days.

theislandgirl 09-02-2008 12:52 PM

Wow, another variation (and does this one look tasty) of the Coconut Oil "Bark" that keeps floating around.

Where did you find it? (you might want to attribute it to the author/site) or did you develop this one on your own? It does look scrumptious.

Stall effects? As you say, you have margin, but some would have to account for every single carb AND for the total calorie value, which is pretty high (puts hand up)...

Uses? Mmmmmmmmmmmm, think of it as a ganache (used for a truffle base or a "cake" filling or topping or....) or thick chocolate "sauce" (yogurt, ice cream, LC "toast" spread) or a "parfait" layer with fresh berries or swirled through homemade LC ice cream or just through a dose of heavy whipped cream (fold together lightly til just streaked)...possibilities are wide open.

:hiya:

ljguitar 09-02-2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theislandgirl (Post 10808952)
...Where did you find it?

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Hi Jude...
Thanks for reading and the suggestion to add credits...

Ella5 posted a thread on ''Finally, some chocolate...'' in the main lowcarb lobby with a partial recipe which she elaborated upon after questions.

Changes to the original and another credit...
I doubled the quantities listed. Also, I barely liquified both the coconut oil and butter before blending it with other liquids, and then mixed it to a smooth consistency with our Braun hand blender (we call it the 'boatmotor') as opposed to with a fork...

I looked up the carb counts in the USDA Natural Nutrient Database.

The Gladware® and scoring lines are my contributions.
[/COLOR]

coconutmilk 09-02-2008 01:17 PM

I'll let you know, I'm heading to the kitchen to make this up right now... Maybe that will stop the drooling...giggle
Thanks for posting!
Vikki

coconutmilk 09-02-2008 01:45 PM

Tasted great going into the fridge. I used 2 pkg spoonable stevia and 1 of splenda. Yummy yummy dessert tonight after my cajun grilled catfish.
Thanks again for sharing

SnowWhite 09-02-2008 02:19 PM

:eek:

ME WANT!

ME WANT NOW!!!

woogers_1 09-02-2008 08:58 PM

Wow, that looks fantastic! I don't care for the "bark", going to give this a try tomorrow...Thanks for sharing!

Amélie 09-02-2008 09:04 PM

Ok I just made this version...I think I like the one without butter more.

woogers_1 09-02-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antigone (Post 10811120)
Ok I just made this version...I think I like the one without butter more.

Do you think it would be better to omit the butter and increase the coconut oil? I'm always looking for ways to cook with my C.O.

Amélie 09-02-2008 09:13 PM

Yeah I make the one without butter all the time. I make two versions:

5 tbsp coconut oil + 2 tbsp cocoa powder + 4 equal or splenda

or

5 tbsp coconut oil + 2 tbsp cocoa powder + 2 tbsp coffee mate cream or liquid cream (depends, its hard to get liquid cream here) + 4 equal/splenda

Both taste better than the one that uses butter IMO.

jacksmixedtape 09-02-2008 09:26 PM

Coconut bark is like a ganache, only with the solid CO that gives it a nice "snap" unlike butter or another saturated fat. Best way to enjoy coconut bark is right out of the fridge, since CO has such a low melting temp. The only side effect would be slowed progression of weight loss due to excess cals, I'd imagine. And that CO will raise your LDL (whether this is a bad thing or not is a point of contention in the field of nutritional science).

coconutmilk 09-03-2008 06:44 AM

I've no idea what I did wrong. Maybe it was the stevia. But mine was so bitter it was impossible to eat. Besides that picture above is creamy yummy looking. Mine had a layer of white on top where it looks like the coconut oil rose to the top, and was hard until you picked it up.
Soooo today I'm going to see if I can play with it and make something edible out of it. Any guesses as to what I might have done wrong?
Vikki

jacksmixedtape 09-03-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coconutmilk (Post 10812102)
I've no idea what I did wrong. Maybe it was the stevia. But mine was so bitter it was impossible to eat. Besides that picture above is creamy yummy looking. Mine had a layer of white on top where it looks like the coconut oil rose to the top, and was hard until you picked it up.
Soooo today I'm going to see if I can play with it and make something edible out of it. Any guesses as to what I might have done wrong?
Vikki

If you heat the butter and CO to a high enough temperature, the solid will separate from the heat. You have to heat it really loooow and slooow so you don't get the greasy top layer.

Stevia plus chocolate by itself is bitter. I always use stevia with erythritol or xylitol when working with chocolate. :)

iamcrazy 09-03-2008 09:20 AM

question, do you think this would be ok to eat every day as a way to up my fats?? I made the double batch like you and i cut it into about 20 squares, im thinking of eating 2-5 a day as a way to up nmy fats.

What do you think??

theislandgirl 09-03-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 10809053)
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]....

Changes to the original and another credit...
I doubled the quantities listed. Also, I barely liquified both the coconut oil and butter before blending it with other liquids, and then mixed it to a smooth consistency with our Braun hand blender (we call it the 'boatmotor') as opposed to with a fork...

I looked up the carb counts in the USDA Natural Nutrient Database.

The Gladware® and scoring lines are my contributions.
[/COLOR]

:hyst::shake::hyst:

You made me laugh! Good on ya for the ® and I'll raise you a ... :clap:

ljguitar 09-03-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theislandgirl (Post 10815890)
...You made me laugh! Good on ya for the ® and I'll raise you a

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Hi Island Girl...
I'll see your ™ and raise you one ©!

I'm enjoying the Refrigerator candy in the Gladware©®™ and we really enjoyed just having some almonds on the side and eating them together.

[/COLOR]

theislandgirl 09-03-2008 11:58 PM

Next, Scharffenberger® Cacao™ Nibs©! {no fooling, they are TDF}.

Check it out.

coconutmilk 09-04-2008 12:28 AM

Thanks Jacks,
I used stevia and liquid splenda but your right I should have use erythitol. I will give that ago tomorrow. Didn't have time to deal with it today. And I probably did over heat it as well. Thank you so much. That gives me something I can work with. I'm pretty new to the coconut bark and candies. I've only tried it a few times and never with great success. I do much better with the microwave brownies...giggle almost impossible to screw up.

ljguitar 09-04-2008 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coconutmilk (Post 10816293)
... And I probably did over heat it as well. Thank you so much.

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Hi ccmilk...
Boy this was a 'minimalist' recipe for me. I mean barely melt the butter and coconut oil and blend it with the blending wand and into the container then off to the fridge. It is so-o-o-o-o-o easy.

It was made, assembled, deposited in the fridge, and the impliments cleaned in under 5 minutes. My kind of recipe - and it tastes so good as well!

I've had such good results both taste and texture-wise using Splenda I'm not switching (even though we have other non-sugar options in our house). The chocolate already has potential for a sharp flavor, there is no desire to enhance that on my part.
[/COLOR]

sungoddess 09-05-2008 08:14 PM

Thank you for this recipe. Finally one worked! I used stevia, Erythritol and a touch of Splenda. It was so good!! The only thing is I wish it was more transportable for traveling as in my temperatures, when it was out of the refrigerator for 5 minutes, it was turning liquid.

It truly satisfied my chocolate craving and the CO halted my desire to eat!:clap::clap:

coconutmilk 09-05-2008 11:47 PM

You know, I can follow a complicate recipe or even come up with one of my own no problem, give me something easy to follow and I'm sure to screw it up...giggle
I'm sure it was the stevia, I'll just make sure I use the splenda next time.
Hugs,
Vikki

Kazakiwi 09-06-2008 02:24 AM

Oh why oh why can I not find coconut oil here? Could I do it with a different oil? :confused:

hauermich 09-06-2008 01:43 PM

I wanted soooo much to like this. As much as I enjoy the coconut bark, I miss the creaminess of real chocolate.

So, I made this one....ick!!!! Tastes too much like butter and not enough like chocolate. Oh well, back to chocolate bark

Michele

hauermich 09-07-2008 05:22 PM

OK, I froze the candy....much better than straight out of the fridge. Also, I was thinking....I used salted butter, maybe unsalted butter would be better.

What did everyon else use?

sungoddess 09-07-2008 05:29 PM

I used salted butter and it didn't taste to salty to me. All of our taste buds are so different though. CO bark with Splenda was just too bitter to me. This is the first candy I have really enjoyed and it is so easy to make.

jacksmixedtape 09-07-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauermich (Post 10830957)
OK, I froze the candy....much better than straight out of the fridge. Also, I was thinking....I used salted butter, maybe unsalted butter would be better.

What did everyon else use?

Uncooked recipes like this bark and the peanut butter fudge (do a search for it) taste MUCH better with unsalted butter IMO. Salted better is waaay too salty for use in recipes. Depends on how salty you like your food, like sungoddess said. :)

theislandgirl 09-09-2008 04:10 PM

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...g-apology.html

Wrong amount of butter in the recipe, folks! No wonder some of you are having issues...

hauermich 09-09-2008 06:10 PM

Well, now that explains the overwhelming butter taste. I will try it again the correct amount of butter.