Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Crunchy No-Bake Snack Bars w/Chocolate Topping (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/572408-crunchy-no-bake-snack-bars-w-chocolate-topping.html)

jacksmixedtape 08-21-2008 08:55 AM

Crunchy No-Bake Snack Bars w/Chocolate Topping

These are crunchy and all natural snack bars that will kill the fiercest of sweet cravings! Beware if you have portion control issues. The toasted pecan version smells like a samoa cookie. You can use any nuts and seeds you prefer. The recipe is totally flexible. Get creative! :)

Crunchy No-Bake Snack Bars

Ingredients:
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup golden flax seeds (could also use sesame seeds)
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup almond butter (could also use peanut or mac nut butter)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of raw honey
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons erythritol
1/8 teaspoon of pure stevia extract (NuNaturals brand!)

Easy Chocolate Ganache Topping:
4 squares of 85% cacao chocolate
2 tablespoons of non-hydrogenated palm oil shortening (could also use more coconut oil or organic unsalted butter)
1 tablespoon erythritol
1/8 teaspoon pure stevia extract
1 teaspoon organic heavy cream (or full fat coconut milk)

Preparation:
For Snack Bars:
Powder erythritol in coffee grinder or magic bullet. Toast coconut and nuts in a dry pan over medium-low heat or the toaster oven, until slightly browned. Pulse nut and seed mixture in a food processor just until nuts are chopped. Melt coconut oil and nut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. Add vanilla extract, honey, erythritol, stevia, and sea salt, stirring until incorporating. Fold into nut mixture. Press into an 8 by 4 pan with a spatula. Quick set in the freezer for 20 minutes. Cut into 8 squares or 6 bars. Store in the refrigerator, covered with a paper towel and plastic wrap.

For Ganache Topping:
Powder erythritol in coffee grinder or magic bullet. Melt shortening and chocolate in microwave in for 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Stir in cream, erythritol, and stevia, until mixture is completely blended. Spread over cooled bars immediately.

~4.35 grams net carbs per 1/6 of a recipe

http://i33.tinypic.com/j0cg7r.png

Pepita Pistachio Version
http://i33.tinypic.com/33m4qc9.png

Charski 08-21-2008 09:42 AM

You are pure evil! ;)

I just made 4 loaves of zucchini bread yesterday so this will have to wait a bit but I WILL be making this recipe! (right after the pots de creme.... LOL!)

daisyHair 08-21-2008 10:50 AM

Good God!

I have been using the bark (with toasted almonds) for my chocolate cravings today..
I think I will have to give this a try..

What a jewel you are Lauren!

I just got turned on to your site..
spend a good amt. of time on there yesterday..
wow.

Tecnokitty 08-21-2008 11:55 AM

Hi, that looks SO good! I have been missing granola bars lately. I do not use erythritol. I do have liquid stevia & some splenda that I really never use. Do you think I can sub in liquid stevia or even the splenda if that won't work?

rottinluv 08-21-2008 08:10 PM

Thanks Lauren, those look delish!

Charski, is your recipe for zucchini posted here somewhere?

Charski 08-21-2008 08:11 PM

Leanne, for the bread? No, but I can post it if you're interested!

Barbo 08-21-2008 08:43 PM

WELLLLLLLL

YEA PLSZ

rottinluv 08-21-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 10760828)
Leanne, for the bread? No, but I can post it if you're interested!

:o Yes, for the zucchini BREAD! Thanks!

jacksmixedtape 08-21-2008 09:16 PM

Your zucchini bread sounds wonderful, Char! Another recipe to try of course.

Thanks, Daisyhair! Hope you like these as much as the bark. It's just a fancy version of it, really. :D

Tecnokitty, I would just as whatever sweeteners you like TO TASTE. Add and taste, add and taste. I don't work with Splenda any more. Sorry!

sungoddess 08-22-2008 09:10 AM

LOL I wish you weren't going back to school. I am going to miss your recipes so much!! Hope you will be in the kitchen again doing your great experiments.

Tecnokitty 08-22-2008 12:59 PM

Thanks, I have not had one bit of splenda in probably 6 months at least. I just wanted some input on how best to sweeten since I know my liquid stevia can get nasty real quick if not done right. To taste is tricky sometimes with it. Thanks for the great recipe!

Dreamchaser 08-22-2008 02:59 PM

Lauren, I've said it before and I'll say it again and again. Girl, you are an absolute GENIUS in the kitchen! :love:

And thank you so much for now adding in the NuNaturals Stevia measurements.. I appreciate it! :cool:

Charski 08-22-2008 03:20 PM

OK, by popular demand, I'll post the zucchini bread in a thread of its own so as to not OT this post! ;)

jerikay 08-23-2008 08:26 AM

These bars are so delicious! I forgot to put in the flax seeds(oops). Thanks for the great recipe.

BikerAng 09-18-2008 01:42 PM

YUM!

I just made these and they are fantastic! I really liked the hard oat granola bars to snack on (back in the high carb days) and missed having a sweet/crunchy quick snack. These really hit the spot, especially with the chocolate topping! :D Do you know if these will travel well without refrigeration, or will they soften up like the "batter" once they come to room temp?

jacksmixedtape 09-18-2008 02:07 PM

Hey BikerAng! Glad you liked the snack bars. They are hard and crunchy because of how the coconut oil solidifies as it gets colder. I'm afraid they'll melt all over if you remove 'em from the fridge for too long!

Do you want a baked granola bar? I think I have a recipe somewhere...

BikerAng 09-18-2008 02:15 PM

Thanks Lauren! Sure, if you have one handy I'd love to try it! :-)

jerikay 09-18-2008 05:40 PM

These bars are great-I've made 3 batches!!

Mada 09-18-2008 07:20 PM

OMG! I :heart: U!

I decided I needed to start making my own granola bars for the boys. This is PERFECT!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

(And, BTW, you need to publish a cookbook too! You could make $$$!)

SugarPop 09-18-2008 08:18 PM

Hi jacksmixed.......I'm trying to get the NuNaturals stevia extract and don't see it at Netrition. I want to be ready to make your wonderful recipes.

Thanks
B

starofmyshow 09-18-2008 09:03 PM

ok..this looks absolutely delish!

BikerAng 09-19-2008 09:43 AM

Thank you so much Lauren! These are too good, evey time I open the fridge I grab a bite. Think they need to go in the freezer! :-)

SugarPop - I bought a bottle of NuNaturals Stevia at QFC (Kroger in some areas).

SugarPop 09-19-2008 10:08 AM

Thank you, Lauren. So I just look for the NuNaturals liquid stevia extract..........that's it, right.....nothing else in the title?

Thanks, BikerAng- I'm on the East Coast so we don't have that here - We don't even have SuperWalmarts where I live - just regular Walmarts.

B

jlatislaw 09-19-2008 02:50 PM

Lauren: your recipes all look fantastic! I don't care for stevia and don't know how to convert the amounts to another sweetener. What is the sweetening power of 1/8 t. stevia?

TIA

jacksmixedtape 09-19-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarPop (Post 10882799)
Thank you, Lauren. So I just look for the NuNaturals liquid stevia extract..........that's it, right.....nothing else in the title?

Thanks, BikerAng- I'm on the East Coast so we don't have that here - We don't even have SuperWalmarts where I live - just regular Walmarts.

B

Hi B, I use the pure powdered extract--they sell it at Whole Foods. It doesn't add any liquid to recipes and is EXTREMELY concentrated, which makes it a pretty good deal. I hope you can find it!

jlatislaw, it's about 1/4 of a cup I think! Not sure--NuNaturals stevia is EXTREMELY concentrated! Fortunately this is a recipe where you can just add and taste, and add taste, because there's no baking involved. :)

PalmTreeGal 09-22-2008 05:26 PM

Hi Lauren - I'm going shopping for ingredients for this tomorrow. Couple questions:

- My erythritol is already powdered. I remember reading that the sweetness varies between powdered and granular. Is that going to mess things up?

- Do you have a weight on the "4 squares" of chocolate? I'm worried that different brands will score their bars differently.

- Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit of adding such a small amount of honey? It seems like it wouldn't do anything.

Can't wait to give this a try! I need a healthier sub for Atkins bars when traveling.

jacksmixedtape 09-22-2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmTreeGal (Post 10895375)
Hi Lauren - I'm going shopping for ingredients for this tomorrow. Couple questions:

- My erythritol is already powdered. I remember reading that the sweetness varies between powdered and granular. Is that going to mess things up?

- Do you have a weight on the "4 squares" of chocolate? I'm worried that different brands will score their bars differently.

- Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit of adding such a small amount of honey? It seems like it wouldn't do anything.

Can't wait to give this a try! I need a healthier sub for Atkins bars when traveling.

Hi Mandy! You need roughly double the amount of powdered erythritol for the granular stuff. There are conversions for powdered sugar to granular sugar out there that can help you with that (works the same for erythritol). I'm a bit pressed for time and can't find the link for you at the moment!

It's 4 squares of a 3.5 oz chocolate bar. I tend to stick with Lindt because of its availability. Do you have a food scale? That could be helpful in weighing the chocolate if you decide to go with a different bar.

I like the honey to help stick the mixture together and round out the flavor. It'd probably be fine if you just replaced it with water, though.

You might need ice packs for this bar when traveling because it gets its "crunchiness" from the solidified coconut oil. Just fyi. :D

PalmTreeGal 09-25-2008 03:25 PM

Thanks for the tips, Lauren. I never made it to Whole Foods this week but this is going to be my weekend project!

Yes, I weigh nearly everything on my food scale so a rough estimate of the chocolate weight is helpful. How many squares are there in the 3.5 oz bar?

As far as travelling, do your mock Paydays and your protein bars travel better?

BikerAng 09-25-2008 05:21 PM

I've made this recipe 3 times now (used almonds/filberts for 1st batch, almonds/walnuts for the next two) and all I can say is I just LOVE LOVE LOVE these! My DH saw them in the fridge and ate almost half of the 2nd batch! :)

I also tried your chocolate chip cookie recipe, Lauren. They are so tasty! My batter turned out too runny to form into cookies so I just turned them into bars and they are fantastic. I really like having a nice sugar free chocolate chip substitution (I used 100% Ghiradeli chocolate and just upped the sweetener a bit) that doesn't melt into the batter. YUMMO!! Great recipes, thanks so much!

jacksmixedtape 09-25-2008 06:36 PM

Mandy, the protein bars (with whey protein powder) travel pretty well. They're pretty chewy and a bit dry--not my favorite recipe, but they get the job done, LOL. The PayDay bars are mostly fat, so they tend to melt into a puddle!

In order to get the chocolate coating to be solid at room temp (manipulating the crystalline structure of the cocoa butter), you must "temper" it--bring it to a series of temperatures (google for the technique), using a food thermometer to get it right. I never bother with this and usually just end up storing treats in the freezer, or taking part of an 85% bar on the road! Enjoy your trip. :)

BikerAng, thanks so much for the positive feedback! Glad you and your DH are enjoying the bars. My family likes them too, always nibbling at the pan in the fridge, LOL.

As for the cookies--did you use the xanthan gum? Solid fat? You might want to chill the dough for easier cookie shaping as well. I found that they were solid enough to smoosh down with my hands into little rounds. :D