Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
I made these yesterday. They are fabulous. But we already knew that.

I left out the honey, used a mixture of splenda and erythritol, peanut butter, and added a few old-fashioned oats. Yum! Thanks for this great recipe. I will make it again and again.
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
bump
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:42 AM   #63
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Thanks for bumping these...I need to make them today.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
I bought some nuts just for this very occasion...
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dazzlmebree
Stats: 221.5/198.7/170---Updated
WOE: SB/LC
Start Date: June 2, 2011
Lauren, because of the coconut oil...needs the refrigertaion, but i was wondering if i could subsitute it or leave it out, if would effect it? I know it will for the crunchiness but is there something that i can subsitute it with, to withhold the cruchiness? or would it be chewy-ish if i leave it out cause i wouldnt mind that.
Dazzlmebree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #66

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I don't know about the other Lindt Chocolates, as I have already discarded the packaging, but the Lindt 90% cocoa bar has an inacuracy in the label as far as the calories. It's 22 calories less than it should be according to the listed nutrients and that's after subtracting fiber calories.
I sent them a comment
Quote:
Nutrition Facts on 90% Lindt Chocolate:

I was calculating the nutrition data for a recipe that uses your chocolate, and I noticed that the nutrition data on the label is inaccurate.
The Calories per serving state that it is 220 calories but adding up the calories from the total fat, total carbohydrates and protein comes out much higher, 262 Calories. Even if we were generous and did not count the calories of the fiber, it would still come out well above the label at 242 Calories. That is fully 20 calories higher than the label states. While I understand that no one expects chocolate to be a "diet" food, I do expect the labels to be marginally accurate, at least within rounding standards of 5 calories up or down. A twenty calorie difference makes me think some was careless and breeds doubt into what else about the product someone may have been careless about. Since I will be sharing this recipe and don't want to be accused of inaccuracies, I'll be using My own calculated values and letting them know the difference between my numbers and the label's. You may want to check into the nutrition portion of your label and maybe recalculate the calories to match the nutrients listed. Thank you for having such high Quality Products.
22 calories divided by the six bars is only 3.6 calories per serving extra, but I can let rounding up or down go, but this is just way off, someone made a math goof.

Anyone have any suggestion for a substitute for the coconut shreds? What sort of texture does the coconut add to the bar and what would be a suitable replacement for that texture it provides. I don't want to just leave it out since it does provide bulk. Do you think flax seeds would replace it well?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #67

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Thanks for bumping these...I need to make them today.
Me too. Thanks metqa.....but will have to wait til P3 to make them. Ah, that is only 3 weeks away They look deelish.

Sorry, but since I have not made these at all I have no answers to your questions.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #68

Just remembered E! has a Cooling effect so they taste really Chill!! I always brag about using blended sweeteners but I forgot for this one.

Another thing. I wonder if the pan size of 8x4 is correct cause they came out sorta squarish and not flat like the photo. When cut into 6. Maybe 8x8 would make a more flat bar. I made a double batch cause I have an 8x8 pan but when I cut them into the six servings per batch they were like square logs I glazed them with ganache on three long sides. I'll take a picture of the mess when I get a chance!

I think my almond butter was too chunky cause they are really crumbly this time. Maybe next time I'll blend Almond and Peanut Butter for a more gooey stick together batch.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Bump! I made these earlier in the week. They are very good, but between the coconut oil in the main recipe and the coconut oil in the ganache topping, I found I was getting a little too much 'coconut bark' taste from it. I don't mind coconut bark, but I wanted to taste the nuts more.

Just wondering if anyone has tweaked this recipe or recipes like it, and if anyone has any suggestions for what to replace the coconut oil with in the main recipe. Maybe just butter? (I'll make regular ganache with a little cream and no coconut oil next time.)

They are really delicious, though, and hit the 'granola bar' spot. Makes you wonder why all those diet snack bars have yucky maltitol in them. (Speaking of, I wish tagatose didn't completely destroy my stomach, they would be crazy good with some tagatose caramel.)

Edit: Replying to the post above mine even though it's from 2011: I did mine in an 8x8 pan, but found myself wishing they were thicker and that I had more 'bar' to topping ratio. I was just going to double the recipe next time and use the same pan.

Last edited by Perdita; 04-10-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #70

I use a refined coconut oil when I don't want too much coconut flavor. but I think you could use heavy cream for the ganache. I think coconut oil sets up harder, but if you keep them chilled it may not matter.

These are great, aren't they!!!??!!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
I never make the ganache topping, I should... one of these days.

I think the coconut oil really adds the depth of flavor, but like was said you could use refined. I think the coconut oil is important for the texture of these bars. They're delicious!

Oh and to answer the question about coconut, I think using any nut/seed you desire is fine. The coconut is delish though especially if you LOVE coconut.

I usually put this in any pan close by. I think I normally only make half the recipe and put it in a bread loaf pan. That works well for me. Or a tupperware container (square-ish) - mix it up in there too, that way I only dirty one dish!

And I no longer use splenda, so I just use the honey, erythritol, and stevia that is called for in the original. And I always use peanut butter... because I don't like almond butter.

Last edited by lc-chica; 04-10-2013 at 07:49 PM..
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote