Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
The bars, MMM MM MM! We just love them, they are quickly becoming a staple! They are just great for a quick, tasty, filling, snack and great way to sneak in a bit of coconut oil!

For the cookies, I used butter. I think next time I may try softened butter instead of melted. I also weighed out the almond flour, didn't measure it. Next time I'll measure it to make sure I have exactly 2 cups. I did use xanathan gum. The bar cookies turned out just great though. They puffed up and are really soft and super tasty. I'm thinking chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches may be in order! Low carb ice cream of course! I think I may not have had enough almond flour, thought about tossing a bit more in but didn't want to dig out the food processor to grind more. I'll keep you posted on the next batch, there will be a next batch!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2008, 07:17 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GG_lover
Stats: 130/130/100
WOE: don't know need help with this
Start Date: july 2007
they look so yummie!
GG_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bobo36us
Stats: 248/181/165
WOE: EAT, DRINK, & BE MERRY!!!!!!!
Start Date: 09/08/08
Lauren............Thanks for the recipe. I made these today, and they were great!

I was out of vanilla though, so I used maple extract instead. It really lended itself to this recipe well. It added a GREAT flavor.

I also added 2 Tablespoons of Oats. This made it alot more like a granola bar, and only added 6 carbs to the whole dish (which I cut into 8 servings).

1/4 teaspoon was perfect on the salt, it has just the right amount of salty and sweet.

Bobo

Last edited by bobo36us; 09-27-2008 at 01:09 PM..
bobo36us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
I made these today. I used the 1:2 ratio of granular to powdered erythritol and found them a little too sweet. I searched and searched for a ratio online and finally found 1:1.75, so it looks like I overdid it. But they are very tasty. Haven't tried them on DH, who has a sweet tooth as bad as me but doesn't low-carb. He may find the sweetness just right.

I ended up using the Endangered Species Extreme Dark 88% chocolate. It is a 3oz bar with 15 squares and I used 4 squares. I don't know if that was the right amount since Lauren did not specify how many squares were in her 3.5oz bar but it worked out okay.

Lesson learned: sift powdered erythritol, otherwise it is impossible to mix in the lumps! I have never used it for anything but my chocolate PB egg cream, where the blender whips out the lumps for me.

Also, I did the calorie count on these - at 6 bars per recipe they are 350 calories each! I try not to count calories but I do try and keep my snacks from getting too caloric, so these will be an occasional treat. They are VERY filling and even half a bar might be satisfying. Also I am not feeling an urge to overdo as I might with other LC treats, which is a huge advantage. (Can we say Linda Sue's almond bars? Ate the whole recipe!)

My 2010 Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...0-journey.html
PalmTreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Bobo - Maple extract, huh? That sounds wonderful! I have some maple extract right now and will have to try that once I can get some nuts. Thanks for the feedback.

Mandy - Sorry I wasn't clear about the bars! There are 10 squares per Lindt bar. Glad it worked out alright with the endangered species chocolate! Ooh, chocolate PB egg cream? Care to share your recipe?

You're right, these bars ARE calorically dense, but definitely satisfying. I just nibble a bit here and there for a treat because that coconut oil fills you up quickly!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bobo36us
Stats: 248/181/165
WOE: EAT, DRINK, & BE MERRY!!!!!!!
Start Date: 09/08/08
Hi Lauren..........also forgot to mention that I added 1/4 cup Macadamias (NOT toasted), and a milk chocolate topping instead of dark chocolate.

I also used peanut butter instead of almond butter (as your suggested substitute). I don't think most people would be able to tell the difference.

These are very very tasty. I just had my second piece already

I took some pics, but they pale in comparison to your original pic

Last edited by bobo36us; 09-27-2008 at 06:05 PM..
bobo36us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Lauren, the chocolate PB egg cream is delicious! I make it the night before with Almond Breeze heated in the microwave; I figure that pasteurizes the eggs at least somewhat. Then refrigerate overnight. I sometimes buy organic eggs, sometimes not (always cage free) so am not totally confident in their safety.

1 cup unsweetened chocolate Almond Breeze
1 tb flax borage oil (for the GLA)
2 tb powdered erythritol, or 1 packet sweet'n'low
2 tb cocoa
2 eggs
2 tb natural PB (better if unsalted)
Davinci's to taste (caramel is my fave, other flavors like vanilla, PB, hazelnut are good too)
Optional: 2 tb cream

I know you don't use Splenda, you could use more erythritol or stevia for sweetener.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Lauren, for future reference - the amount of 85% chocolate is roughly 1.5 oz. I made another batch tonight (possibly a foolish move considering my lack of self-control with the first one!) and found that it was quite a bit more than the 4 squares I had used the previous time. The ganache tasted much better too.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

These are proving to be a problem, and I love them so much!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #40
Lounge Chef & Typo Queen!!

Gallery: SnowWhite
Stats: 450/ Ugh/185
Start Date: 5/26/03 * WLS 1/15/04
Lauren! Jackmixedtape..come're Sugah!

I'm gonna make these this weekend!

Last edited by SnowWhite; 10-04-2008 at 07:35 AM..
SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeGal View Post
Lauren, for future reference - the amount of 85% chocolate is roughly 1.5 oz. I made another batch tonight (possibly a foolish move considering my lack of self-control with the first one!) and found that it was quite a bit more than the 4 squares I had used the previous time. The ganache tasted much better too.
Thanks for sharing this info about the amount of chocolate! I'll modify the recipe to say that. Sorry you had problems with portioning them! I been there, too.

Mel, you are too much fun!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: momo526
I can not believe how delicious these are.

I made them with sesame seeds and used agave instead of honey. Perfect combination of salty/sweet.

I couldn't wait to try them so I bit in before I frosted them. Now I am not going to frost them this time!!!! And I am the ORIGINAL Chocoholic!!!! They literally melt in your mouth. It's hard to believe that something that tastes this good can not only be low-carb but actually HEALTHY!!!!

Next time I am going to use Trader Joe's Macademia/Cashew Butter. Slightly higher Carbs but i think the taste will be fabulous.

Also wondering about a few of Kevinpa's dried cranberries.

Thank you for this great treat!!!!!

momo526
momo526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

I made another batch (foolish?) and seem to be having better control. They are a great breakfast, just the right number of calories and plenty of fat to get me through the morning. And portable, of course. I think the bingeing on them had to do with some anxiety about my precious dog's health. Not that I'll be immune in the future - stress eating is definitely a weakness.

I've made the original recipe every time, maybe I should branch out!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: andreachurch
Stats: 5"11 -Started 275lbs, down to 175, goal's ~ 150
WOE: Atkins K.I.S.S.
Lauren U ROCK! I'm taking a 12 hour flight in December and I've already decided that I'm going to make these up and stash a few in my carry on.. I hate to fly, but I'm looking forward to it just to eat these I'm saving making them until then!
andreachurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Andrea, you might want to pack them with a cold pack to keep them firm. They are a lovely snack if they stay chilled!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: andreachurch
Stats: 5"11 -Started 275lbs, down to 175, goal's ~ 150
WOE: Atkins K.I.S.S.
Ah, I didn't think of that issue... thanks Lauren.. I'll pack a little cooler lunchbag Can't wait
andreachurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
These are VERY, VERY GOOD! I made a batch yesterday with some dried cranberries (Kevins) and mixed with that dark chocolate ganache, pure Heaven! I think the nice thing about this recipe is that you can basically use any mixture of nuts and they would be great. The carb count would change possibly but you can factor that it. I also cut mine into 8 instead of 6 and thats plenty satisfying!!

Keep it up Lauren..Im lovin' your recipes!!!
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

bumping this because I just made a batch and they are just so yummy!
Old 03-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

I made them today with walnuts instead of pecans, because walnuts have more omega-3s. I don't really like walnuts but I can sneak them in here and not mind them.

I also made them in silicon muffin cups, because they never slice nicely for me without crumbling.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

I like these even w/o the chocolate (I made this batch w/o). I used almonds and brazil nuts and almond butter (and sesame seeds, out of flax). I cut these into little squares because they are so rich and satifying. LOVE them!

ETA: I slice them when they are still just a bit soft, not gooey but not totally setup yet either. I didn't use any honey in this batch either and they turned out really well. Such a versatile recipe.

Last edited by BikerAng; 03-02-2009 at 04:37 PM..
Old 03-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cool Angie! Thanks for reminding me of these. They are such a nice crunchy treat from the CO. I don't make the choc topping any more either. I'll leave the honey out from now on, thanks!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
BikerAng,
Thanks for bumping this! These look fantastic!

Lauren,
I read on a posting or blog note (maybe older) a lot of you baking equipment disappeared from the dorm kitchen.
1. Hope you got everything back by now
2. How in the heck do your create all this fabulous stuff in a dorm kitchen?????
3. If you haven't gotten your equipment back, please post all over the dorm:

Whoever borrowed Lauren's stuff---please get it back to her!!! Lowcarb Friends needs her baking and creating!!!

Seriously, I can't believe you do all this in a dorm! I had you pictured in a cute little apartment with a fabulous kitchen. Keep up the good work!

Leigh
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Leigh! Baking in a dorm kitchen is certainly interesting. It's a nice relaxing activity on the weekend, and I like making my friends and hallmates happy with tasty treats.

Thanks for post that notice, haha! Not sure if the perps browse LCF, but we shall see...
Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetdreams
I made these yesterday based on all of the good reviews... I usually go for the sweetest richest recipes... LOL....ANYway they are SOOOOOOOOOO OUTRAGEOUSLY DELICIOUS!!

I didn't have flax so I used sunflower seeds and peanut butter and walnuts instead of pecans.... and a whole TBS of sugar-free honey.... IMHO.... they tasted better than Reeses peanut butter eggs! Yes.. they are all gone. What a treat! AND so good for you!

Thank you Lauren for this recipe! I can't wait to make this again. I just need major portion control on these..... but they are irrestible just sitting in the fridge every time I open the door!! LOL

HUGS!

P.S. Lauren.... you need your own TV show and cookbook!!
sweetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellBell1234
OMG - these look FABULOUS!!!!
KellBell1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bwylde
Stats: (405 highest) 385/365/200
WOE: Low Carb, TOPS
Start Date: January 2014
How could I have missed this before? YUMMY! I can't wait to make these! I made "nutella" today so maybe tomorrow.
bwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bywlde, how was the Nutella?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams View Post
I made these yesterday based on all of the good reviews... I usually go for the sweetest richest recipes... LOL....ANYway they are SOOOOOOOOOO OUTRAGEOUSLY DELICIOUS!!

I didn't have flax so I used sunflower seeds and peanut butter and walnuts instead of pecans.... and a whole TBS of sugar-free honey.... IMHO.... they tasted better than Reeses peanut butter eggs! Yes.. they are all gone. What a treat! AND so good for you!

Thank you Lauren for this recipe! I can't wait to make this again. I just need major portion control on these..... but they are irrestible just sitting in the fridge every time I open the door!! LOL

HUGS!

Yay I am happy to hear you tweaked it to your liking! Mmm peanut butter makes everything better. Glad you don't miss those yucky processed eggs! I have to admit I bought a Cadbury egg yesterday. Am waiting until I can try to duplicate it to eat it. Gotta refresh the ol' taste memory!

You might want to try freezing the bars individually if they get tempting. Thank you for the nice compliment!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bwylde
Stats: (405 highest) 385/365/200
WOE: Low Carb, TOPS
Start Date: January 2014
It was kind of chunky but I think I may need to add more oil. I just dumped all my nuts in and didn't realize there was as many nuts as there were (probably twice as many as the recipe called for). I'm going to look for hazelnut oil so I just stuck it in the fridge for now. It was super yummy though, just too thick and chunky for my liking, not spreadable.
bwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
Made your snack bar recipe and it was absolutely delicious!!!
Only thing I did wrong was put the topping on before I cut the bars and the topping cracked when I cut them. Next time will cut the bars before topping them.

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams View Post
I totally agree! Lauren's recipes are FANTASTIC!!!